RemedySpot.com

Anesthesia and hair loss

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear e,

Thanks so much for this information. I hope you realize what an asset you are for all of us, and how much we love you, not to mention, how much we appreciate all the great information you provide so willingly & freely.

Thanks again for all of your wonderful help!

Blessings always,

MM

Martha MurdockNational Silicone Implant Foundationwww.topica.com/lists/BreastImplantNews/

I totally have always agreed with this and I now I know it is true thank you e! I believe it, like I said I had 3 surgeries in 2 years, no hairloss!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 8:35 AM

Subject: Anesthesia and hair loss

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did speak to several anesthesiologists today that I personally have great respect for. I asked them if they had heard of, or knew, of any case histories or case studies that involved hair loss related to general anesthesia. I also asked them if any general or local anesthetics had been or are implicated in hair loss. The resounding answer was no.

I asked 4 different anesthesiologists, all with different training, different specialties, and also ensured that I asked them seperately so that they could not hear each others answers and therefore be biased in their responses. Each one said that they were unaware of any studies or pt populations that had been sampled indicating hair loss due to any type of anesthesia. What they did say was that temporary hair loss did occur after some surgeries where general anesthesia was used. This was due to the pt being supine (lying flat) for too long and this resulted in loss of circulation to the scalp, and therefore, resulted in death of the hair and resultant hair loss. However, hair growth resumed shortly after surgery.

I then asked them about pts who might have autoimmune diseases that a)were yet to be diagnosed, and b)were already diagnosed, and the possibility that hair loss could occur after general anesthesia. All anesthesiologists said that it was very possible that hair loss could occur following surgery; however, hair loss would more than likely be as a result from the surgery, and not from anesthesia. Surgery is the insult to the body, not the anesthesia. While we may look at anesthesia as being an insult to our bodies, the actual surgical cutting and pulling and scraping and cauterizing is what affects our bodies the most, not the anesthetics. I also inquired how long it takes for ALL general anesthetics to be out of our bodies as a general rule. ALL general anesthetics are out of our body within 24 hrs. The only exception, as I have already pointed out in a recent post, is benzodiazepines, which remain in the body much longer, but are also out of the body within 24 hrs. However, if someone is renally or hepatically impaired, it can and will take longer for both general, IV, and inhalation drugs. But again, even with renal or hepatic impairment, 24 hrs is usually an adequate amt of time. So, anyone who has felt groggy or disoriented or "not right" for more than 48-72 hrs after general anesthesia, then you need to look at other meds you are taking, such as pain meds, which can make you groggy and disoriented, esp if you have not taken it before. Also, something as simple as changing your routine can disorient you and slow you down. The other thing to consider is that if you have an autoimmune disease that was not diagnosed prior to surgery, it is very possible that the surgery activated the disease and worsened symptoms that prior to surgery may have been very minor and caused you no concern or may have caused you no symptoms. This could be the reason some people feel so awful for so long after general anesthesia, and mistakenly blame the anesthesia for the way they feel.

In addition, after surgery, because of blood lost, your hemoglobin and hematocrit may be lower than normal. Some pts may have a normal H & H, but while it may be normal, it's lower than what their body is used to, and that is what makes them feel awful.

So, this is what I found out today, all of which makes good sense. Collectively, the 4 anesthesiologists and myself have more than 75 yrs of medical experience. I hand picked each one of these anesthesiologists for their expertise in teaching and knowledge. They are good at what they do, and interact well with pts, as well as with the nurses and other physicians. The facility I work at is a university hospital, so lots of research is done, and I figured if there was any current research or data on hair loss and anesthesia, they would probably be the ones to know. However, each one admitted that they are not perfect and don't know everything. They welcomed any information that I had, and I in turn, told them that if I got any, I would share it with them. So, if , Patty, Nik, , , Dr. Kolb, Martha, or anyone else I've missed or who posts here regularly has any medical journal articles for me so that I can educate myself, I would greatly appreciate it. I will then pass them on to the docs I work with to further educate them. Education is always ongoing!!:)

e

I should add that I do believe stress can cause hair loss though and surgery is stress, but I know many patients who were under anesthesia with propofol the most common one on the ICU in comas for months recovering from auto accidents and didn't loose there hair, so who knows, we are so very individual that it is hard to say what is what, however one thing I have repeatedly said, I think implants are dangerous and I do believe they can cause the hairloss, are they the only cause of it, of course not! That would be stupid to say that, however, when you have implants and severe hair loss it is time to weigh what really matters, I think that if it was me I would try just about anything to get rid of the hair loss, including implant removal, however that is just me, I know that implant removal is the scariest thing a woman can go through, however, it can also be a wonderful feeling to be natural again, it is all up to the individual , it may not solve the hair loss but then it will eliminate one possibility right?

When I got mine out I was only looking to find improvement not a cure, and I did, a lot of improvement, so that is worth it to me, I am not saying it is everyones answer,

I love you guys,

Off to work,,

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 6:27 AM

Subject: Re: Anesthesia and hair loss

I totally have always agreed with this and I now I know it is true thank you e! I believe it, like I said I had 3 surgeries in 2 years, no hairloss!

Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 8:35 AM

Subject: Anesthesia and hair loss

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did speak to several anesthesiologists today that I personally have great respect for. I asked them if they had heard of, or knew, of any case histories or case studies that involved hair loss related to general anesthesia. I also asked them if any general or local anesthetics had been or are implicated in hair loss. The resounding answer was no.

I asked 4 different anesthesiologists, all with different training, different specialties, and also ensured that I asked them seperately so that they could not hear each others answers and therefore be biased in their responses. Each one said that they were unaware of any studies or pt populations that had been sampled indicating hair loss due to any type of anesthesia. What they did say was that temporary hair loss did occur after some surgeries where general anesthesia was used. This was due to the pt being supine (lying flat) for too long and this resulted in loss of circulation to the scalp, and therefore, resulted in death of the hair and resultant hair loss. However, hair growth resumed shortly after surgery.

I then asked them about pts who might have autoimmune diseases that a)were yet to be diagnosed, and b)were already diagnosed, and the possibility that hair loss could occur after general anesthesia. All anesthesiologists said that it was very possible that hair loss could occur following surgery; however, hair loss would more than likely be as a result from the surgery, and not from anesthesia. Surgery is the insult to the body, not the anesthesia. While we may look at anesthesia as being an insult to our bodies, the actual surgical cutting and pulling and scraping and cauterizing is what affects our bodies the most, not the anesthetics. I also inquired how long it takes for ALL general anesthetics to be out of our bodies as a general rule. ALL general anesthetics are out of our body within 24 hrs. The only exception, as I have already pointed out in a recent post, is benzodiazepines, which remain in the body much longer, but are also out of the body within 24 hrs. However, if someone is renally or hepatically impaired, it can and will take longer for both general, IV, and inhalation drugs. But again, even with renal or hepatic impairment, 24 hrs is usually an adequate amt of time. So, anyone who has felt groggy or disoriented or "not right" for more than 48-72 hrs after general anesthesia, then you need to look at other meds you are taking, such as pain meds, which can make you groggy and disoriented, esp if you have not taken it before. Also, something as simple as changing your routine can disorient you and slow you down. The other thing to consider is that if you have an autoimmune disease that was not diagnosed prior to surgery, it is very possible that the surgery activated the disease and worsened symptoms that prior to surgery may have been very minor and caused you no concern or may have caused you no symptoms. This could be the reason some people feel so awful for so long after general anesthesia, and mistakenly blame the anesthesia for the way they feel.

In addition, after surgery, because of blood lost, your hemoglobin and hematocrit may be lower than normal. Some pts may have a normal H & H, but while it may be normal, it's lower than what their body is used to, and that is what makes them feel awful.

So, this is what I found out today, all of which makes good sense. Collectively, the 4 anesthesiologists and myself have more than 75 yrs of medical experience. I hand picked each one of these anesthesiologists for their expertise in teaching and knowledge. They are good at what they do, and interact well with pts, as well as with the nurses and other physicians. The facility I work at is a university hospital, so lots of research is done, and I figured if there was any current research or data on hair loss and anesthesia, they would probably be the ones to know. However, each one admitted that they are not perfect and don't know everything. They welcomed any information that I had, and I in turn, told them that if I got any, I would share it with them. So, if , Patty, Nik, , , Dr. Kolb, Martha, or anyone else I've missed or who posts here regularly has any medical journal articles for me so that I can educate myself, I would greatly appreciate it. I will then pass them on to the docs I work with to further educate them. Education is always ongoing!!:)

e

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did speak to several anesthesiologists today that I personally have great respect for. I asked them if they had heard of, or knew, of any case histories or case studies that involved hair loss related to general anesthesia. I also asked them if any general or local anesthetics had been or are implicated in hair loss. The resounding answer was no. I asked 4 different anesthesiologists, all with different training, different specialties, and also ensured that I asked them seperately so that they could not hear each others answers and therefore be biased in their responses. Each one said that they were unaware of any studies or pt populations that had been sampled indicating hair loss due to any type of anesthesia. What they did say was that temporary hair loss did occur after some surgeries where general anesthesia was used. This was due to the pt being supine (lying flat) for too long and this resulted in loss of circulation to the scalp, and therefore, resulted in death of the hair and resultant hair loss. However, hair growth resumed shortly after surgery. I then asked them about pts who might have autoimmune diseases that a)were yet to be diagnosed, and b)were already diagnosed, and the possibility that hair loss could occur after general anesthesia. All anesthesiologists said that it was very possible that hair loss could occur following surgery; however, hair loss would more than likely be as a result from the surgery, and not from anesthesia. Surgery is the insult to the body, not the anesthesia. While we may look at anesthesia as being an insult to our bodies, the actual surgical cutting and pulling and scraping and cauterizing is what affects our bodies the most, not the anesthetics. I also inquired how long it takes for ALL general anesthetics to be out of our bodies as a general rule. ALL general anesthetics are out of our body within 24 hrs. The only exception, as I have already pointed out in a recent post, is benzodiazepines, which remain in the body much longer, but are also out of the body within 24 hrs. However, if someone is renally or hepatically impaired, it can and will take longer for both general, IV, and inhalation drugs. But again, even with renal or hepatic impairment, 24 hrs is usually an adequate amt of time. So, anyone who has felt groggy or disoriented or "not right" for more than 48-72 hrs after general anesthesia, then you need to look at other meds you are taking, such as pain meds, which can make you groggy and disoriented, esp if you have not taken it before. Also, something as simple as changing your routine can disorient you and slow you down. The other thing to consider is that if you have an autoimmune disease that was not diagnosed prior to surgery, it is very possible that the surgery activated the disease and worsened symptoms that prior to surgery may have been very minor and caused you no concern or may have caused you no symptoms. This could be the reason some people feel so awful for so long after general anesthesia, and mistakenly blame the anesthesia for the way they feel. In addition, after surgery, because of blood lost, your hemoglobin and hematocrit may be lower than normal. Some pts may have a normal H & H, but while it may be normal, it's lower than what their body is used to, and that is what makes them feel awful. So, this is what I found out today, all of which makes good sense. Collectively, the 4 anesthesiologists and myself have more than 75 yrs of medical experience. I hand picked each one of these anesthesiologists for their expertise in teaching and knowledge. They are good at what they do, and interact well with pts, as well as with the nurses and other physicians. The facility I work at is a university hospital, so lots of research is done, and I figured if there was any current research or data on hair loss and anesthesia, they would probably be the ones to know. However, each one admitted that they are not perfect and don't know everything. They welcomed any information that I had, and I in turn, told them that if I got any, I would share it with them. So, if , Patty, Nik, , , Dr. Kolb, Martha, or anyone else I've missed or who posts here regularly has any medical journal articles for me so that I can educate myself, I would greatly appreciate it. I will then pass them on to the docs I work with to further educate them. Education is always ongoing!!:) e