RemedySpot.com

Re: Medical Boards

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I agree with your point Angelika. I think Dr. Kolb needs to tell us what's going on with Dr. Gordon. You should not be put under additional stress when you are trying to recover. But as Patty says, if there is something to this, it behooves us to know. I just don't like dangling carrots.....

Pearl

I agree also with Patty, but posting something that is not clear is another thing. It makes Dr. Gordon look bad when we don't even know what the info is about? I think that is disrespectful to me since he is the doc who just performed my surgery. I didn't have a problem with him, I was very happy with the results and many other patients we spoke to. (my sister and I) That is the major reason I was hesitant to give his name, I figured someone would be negative about it.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 3:19 PM

Subject: Re: Medical Boards

I agree with Patty, but what's the content of the information about Gordon?Pearl

Thank you, I appreciate you understanding my point.

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 3:43 PM

I agree with your point Angelika. I think Dr. Kolb needs to tell us what's going on with Dr. Gordon. You should not be put under additional stress when you are trying to recover. But as Patty says, if there is something to this, it behooves us to know. I just don't like dangling carrots.....Pearl

I wrote to them at their "contact us" link about this, but so far have not gotten any further reply.

Patty

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 12:43 PM

I agree with your point Angelika. I think Dr. Kolb needs to tell us what's going on with Dr. Gordon. You should not be put under additional stress when you are trying to recover. But as Patty says, if there is something to this, it behooves us to know. I just don't like dangling carrots.....Pearl

Angelika,

I am glad that you have been very pleased with your experience with Dr. Gordon. I can also understand you're wanting to not hear anything negative concerning him, and can sympathize with your situation.

However, I don't think anyone is trying to be disrespectful to you. It is necessary for us to be able to discuss doctors on this forum, and if there is something that comes up that needs to be known, I would prefer that the information be discussed rather than withheld.

I think Dr. Kolb brought up a very good point, and I do hope that we find out how to use the information available to the public from the state medical boards. I am not sure what information I will get as a result of my email inquiry. Perhaps someone will have to take a more direct approach and write to them using the US postal service.

Please don't take this issue personally, as it is not about you. I hope you continue to feel good and do take it easy.

Love,

Patty

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 12:31 PM

I agree also with Patty, but posting something that is not clear is another thing. It makes Dr. Gordon look bad when we don't even know what the info is about? I think that is disrespectful to me since he is the doc who just performed my surgery. I didn't have a problem with him, I was very happy with the results and many other patients we spoke to. (my sister and I) That is the major reason I was hesitant to give his name, I figured someone would be negative about it.

I feel that the emotions that run high on this board are way more of a stress to me then the benefits of this board. I disagree ALL the time about things people say but I feel this isn't the place for me to post my opinions. I have to say that over the last 6 months I've deleted over half the emails I receive because there's such negativity. Maybe I'll come back sometime but for now I think I have enough to worry about other then being offended by someone on here. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but I have so many serious problems right now that this stuff seems like such BS. I wish you all well and hope I can email some of you personally.

-Shirl-

I hope will relax and feel better because obviously her surgery (and her sisters) went well. If Gordon did make a mistake in the past for whatever reason, Kolb has the right to tell us and I for one am glad she did. I also know what kind of doctor/person Kolb is, she would not try to hurt anyone. This just could have been better communicated. Any other doctors we need to beware of, please let us know, the good with the bad.

Pearl

It just seems like every other week someone gets mad at someone on here and it's been so hard for me to read the emails. I click on the emails to look for help and lately it's just one after another that are negative. It wasn't just Angelikas email, it's something that's bothered me for a while.

I'm going to stay on the group I'm just going to elect to not get emails for now.

I need a lot of positivity in my life right now and I hope some of you can understand and not be upset with me for speaking up.

-Shirl-

Hi Dr. Kolb,

Unfortunately, those of us who first experience the mental confusion don't always initially realize it's our brain that's 'out of whack'! Then, once we do, it's difficult to accept, and the frustration created by even the possibility is really overwhelming, frightening, and caused me to be very defensive --- for awhile!

Sincerely,

MM

Martha MurdockNational Silicone Implant Foundationwww.topica.com/lists/BreastImplantNews/

I gave this information so that potential patients would learn how to use the existing systems to check out physicians that they may want to use. Angelika unfortantuantely responded as if this was a personal attack on her in a similar fashion that occurred when she attacked me publically after I attempted to assist her when she spoke to me initially about explantation. She misunderstood what I was saying to her then and again misunderstands my intent. It is my experience that some of the patients have mental confusion possibly secondary to their disease and misinterpret communications and unfortunately proceed to attack others based on this misunderstanding. Hopefully, this information will allow others to research intelligently their choices for physicians. .

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 5:02 PM

I wrote to them at their "contact us" link about this, but so far have not gotten any further reply.

Patty

Shirl I will take you off the group if that is what you wish.

love

and apologies,

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 10:10 PM

Remove me please....-Shirl-

I did take this personally because it was my own personal doctor. Dr. Kolb if you were using it as an example for a way to check out doctors, why did you name MY personal surgeon? I took this an a personal attack on me and I felt I needed to explain why I felt the way I did about your post. I really feel you were sore about the fact I chose Dr. Gordon to do my explant over you.

I apologize for my sensitive behavior but I just had surgery and don't feel that I or my doctor should be of any concern to you. My mental health is fine now that my implants are out. You still have your implants in, you should be worried about your health rather evaluating mine. It is also illegal to make mental evaluations unless you are a licensed in that field.

You obviously seem that you don't even care about the issue and use this group as a means of advertising.

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 10:54 PM

I gave this information so that potential patients would learn how to use the existing systems to check out physicians that they may want to use. Angelika unfortantuantely responded as if this was a personal attack on her in a similar fashion that occurred when she attacked me publically after I attempted to assist her when she spoke to me initially about explantation. She misunderstood what I was saying to her then and again misunderstands my intent. It is my experience that some of the patients have mental confusion possibly secondary to their disease and misinterpret communications and unfortunately proceed to attack others based on this misunderstanding. Hopefully, this information will allow others to research intelligently their choices for physicians. .

Patty

Please lets all calm down for a minute and try to relax and not fight anymore, I don't want to lose any of the members who are friends, like Shirl, because of this ok.

Love,

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 10:12 PM

I did take this personally because it was my own personal doctor. Dr. Kolb if you were using it as an example for a way to check out doctors, why did you name MY personal surgeon? I took this an a personal attack on me and I felt I needed to explain why I felt the way I did about your post. I really feel you were sore about the fact I chose Dr. Gordon to do my explant over you.

I apologize for my sensitive behavior but I just had surgery and don't feel that I or my doctor should be of any concern to you. My mental health is fine now that my implants are out. You still have your implants in, you should be worried about your health rather evaluating mine. It is also illegal to make mental evaluations unless you are a licensed in that field.

You obviously seem that you don't even care about the issue and use this group as a means of advertising.

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 10:54 PM

Patty

Yes Shirl emotions run too high on here that is for sure, but there are many things I wish I could do to make the group better, I am willing and open to suggestions by any and all members so please feel free to let me know what I can do to help this be a better place.

I understand how petty this may seem to someone who is very ill, however to someone like Angelika that just had surgery this may have been overwhelming, unfortunately we do not all operate at the same level and so what is upsetting to one of us may not be important to someone else.

I just want to get back to support and info on healing and sharing ideas, the problem is that we are all opinionated and this group tends to bring out the honesty in ourselves which makes for many disputes, we need to try harder to listen and not let it upset us.

I know I also need to do this as well.

Please everyone, try to stick around and lets all be friends!

Love,

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 10:29 PM

I feel that the emotions that run high on this board are way more of a stress to me then the benefits of this board. I disagree ALL the time about things people say but I feel this isn't the place for me to post my opinions. I have to say that over the last 6 months I've deleted over half the emails I receive because there's such negativity. Maybe I'll come back sometime but for now I think I have enough to worry about other then being offended by someone on here. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but I have so many serious problems right now that this stuff seems like such BS. I wish you all well and hope I can email some of you personally.-Shirl-

I need to update my story because it's not real accurate right now. My story is about my explain and a few months later. It's 2 1/2 years after my explant now. I'll work on it sometime soon and let you know.

-Shirl-

Shirl

I agree 100% with you. I also feel that you should think about posting your story over at www.explantation.com I could do it for you, it would be helpful to othes to read these stories on that site that many many women go to. Also I feel that you could help others from making the same mistakes we did.

Think about that ok.

Love

PS I am glad you will stick around I have plans to make this group better and better with the help of all the ladies here, thanks

Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 10:53 PM

It just seems like every other week someone gets mad at someone on here and it's been so hard for me to read the emails. I click on the emails to look for help and lately it's just one after another that are negative. It wasn't just Angelikas email, it's something that's bothered me for a while.I'm going to stay on the group I'm just going to elect to not get emails for now.I need a lot of positivity in my life right now and I hope some of you can understand and not be upset with me for speaking up.-Shirl-

The Board of Medical Examiners in CO has a great site and will tell tell you everything you ever wanted to know. Sometimes the MD is just sent a letter of reprimand, but not actually disciplined. The CO Board will let you know if a doctor has been reprimanded but will not tell you why. However, my personal feeling is that if a doc has rec'd a letter of reprimand, I wouldn't want to go to him/her. Regardless of how you look at it, a letter of reprimand indicates that the MD did something questionable or unethical. Sometimes MD's are reprimanded/disciplined for having a psychiatric illness, and the quality of their care is compromised. It is definately a good idea to research your doctor. Also, Public Citizen puts out a book about every 2 yrs titled, "Questionable Doctors." It lists the most recent disciplinary actions against MD's and the reasons why. This book is a real eye opener. Some of the things docs are disciplined for would blow your mind away. When I purchased the book in 2000, I was surprised to learn some of the docs I have worked with for yrs have been disciplined for various reasons, including drug use/abuse, sexual misconduct, wrongful prescribing of controlled substances (to a family member or him/herself), psychiatric reasons, lack of education and failure to keep him/herself updated on current medical practices, failure to notify a board that they were disciplined in another state, malpractice/negligence, expired license, and the list goes on and on. A close friend of mine who is a MD was just appointed to Director of the Impaired Physicians' Program in CO. She says that the # of docs in this program is staggering. It is most important to check out a prospective doctor or even one that you are currently seeing. I have checked out every single one of the doctors I have seen over the yrs and that I am currently seeing. Luckily, none of them have been disciplined. While word of mouth is a generally a good indicator of that doctors excellence and professionalism, it is still in your best interest to do some research on them. Also, if you look in your white pages under state, you can look up your state boards phone # and call. Most boards have an automated system where you can check the disciplinary status and license status, i.e., whether it's active or not. You can also check out nurses just like you do doctors. We all are licensed and have to register with the State Board as well. Any disciplinary action or reprimand is public knowledge, just as with MD's. And again, most states have a website in which you can research a nurse. You just need their first and last name, and that will provide you with their license # and any disciplinary action taken against them, as well as whether their license is being investigated. It can provide you with peace of mind to know if a nurse who cares for you has been disciplined or not, esp if you see a RN in a clinic or outpatient/ambulatory setting. Unfortunately, there is a databank which contains disciplined doctors (more so than is ever published) and that databank is not accessible to the public. I can't remember the name offhand, but Dr. Kolb should know. It is a nat'l databank and there have been laws passed which keep the public from accessing any of this information. So, there is a chance that even though you check on your doctors status, if it was some time ago, or formal disciplinary action was not taken, even though there were complaints, the information may not be available to you. For example, there was a book written about 2-3 yrs ago about a MD who was accused of killing his pts. It was investigated, but there was never enough evidence found and his victims' families didn't want to pursue it because this MD had threatened them. So, he was allowed to continue practicing even though complaints continued to pour in. He was also accused of substandard care. He moved from state to state, and because he had never faced any formal disciplinary action, he was allowed to set up practice. He even traveled to Africa or someplace overseas and worked there, while killing his pts and providing substandard care. His superiors and coworkers didn't want to get involved in filing complaints, so they always provided him with good references. The fact that no one stood up for the pts that were subjected to his dangerous care and murderous ways should be criminal in and of itself. But doctors don't like to "tattle" on their peers and fellow doctors, so it's kept hush-hush. And so there are many doctors out there who are dangerous and should not be practicing, but it's not public knowledge. But for the most part, you can access disciplinary actions by calling your state medical board or visiting their website. And check out the nurses who care for you, as well. e ----- Original Message ----- From: Patty Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 10:04 PM Subject: Medical Boards I think Dr. Kolb brings up a very good point, however. I think it would be wise for all women to check out the state medical boards for any complaints that may have been lodged against any potential plastic surgeon. This is just good homework, regardless of how long ago it was, or what state they may have practised in. I myself have not been aware that this kind of information is available on the Internet. The fact that it is available just makes it all the more practical for conducting this kind of research. How many times have we heard about doctors getting away with scamming patients? If they move from state to state, more often than not their reputation does not follow them, and past histories can remain buried in obscurity. Would it be safe to say that most women do not contact state medical boards to research doctors? I never have. I went solely by word of mouth. I also do not believe that all bad doctors appears on these lists, because most people do not take the time to pursue these things unless there has been some very serious breaches of conduct or malpractice. All the more reason to look at these state lists more closely. If anyone is on the list, there has to be a good reason for it. The most difficult part of doing this type of research is that you have to go state by state. According to , there does not appear to be a national register that is accessible to the public. I encourage anyone using the services of a plastic surgeon that is unknown for their expertise in doing explant to contact state medical boards in the states their doctor has practiced. This information is available from your doctor upon request. Patty ----- Original Message ----- From: Angelika Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 9:09 PM Subject: Re: What does this mean? That address is an old address. This is not current info? I don't think that we can really use it as a reference if the info is not up to date and correct. ----- Original Message ----- From: Dr. Kolb Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 10:58 PM Subject: Re: You can check out Gordon at www.medicalboard.state.ga.us/bdsearch/index.cgi. ----- Original Message ----- From: perlesetlacet@... Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 3:07 PM Subject: Re: Angelika:Dave s...cool. How long ago was your surgery? You mention you're from Virginia, how did you hear about Gordon? How long did you stay in LV? I would think traveling immediately after surgery would not be good. I hope you feel better soon. No lifting!Pearl