RemedySpot.com

Re: Questions for Docs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Ang,

I have heard that vertical technique is good. Unfortunately, I will have to get the anchor mastopexy because of the way I was explanted. I hear Dr. Feng's scars are thin, that's a good thing. Some doctors use (mine did) stitches on the outside and you get ugly looking slash like scars. Never again. My next PS will stitch from the inside only. The more advanced PS do inside stitches.

Pearl

My stitches were inside also and dissolvable. I will email you some more current pics. They are looking sooooo awesome!

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 10:30 PM

Subject: Re: Questions for Docs

Hi Ang,I have heard that vertical technique is good. Unfortunately, I will have to get the anchor mastopexy because of the way I was explanted. I hear Dr. Feng's scars are thin, that's a good thing. Some doctors use (mine did) stitches on the outside and you get ugly looking slash like scars. Never again. My next PS will stitch from the inside only. The more advanced PS do inside stitches.Pearl

Hi ,

I appreciate the information about Dr. Feng. Unfortunately, Dr. Feng's office does not return my phone call or e-mail regarding her use of general anesthesia for mastopexy. I can't have any more general anesthesia than already has been given to me. I became very sick from it and developed telogen effluvium. My only conclusion I can draw from this is that they don't care about MY situation and MY needs as an individual. There are surgeon out there who do mastopexy with local anesthesia with sedation. I'm just scarred because what if I choose another dud?

It's nice that Feng makes nice incisions, but what about my hair? I've had a large degree of loss with no recovery thus far. Maybe being dead is a better alternative then I won't have to look at these explantation scars and my diffuse hair loss. I'm really depressed today.

Pearl

Dr Feng uses the internal disolvable stitches as well as her own specail technice wich is a beveled cutting of the skin this allows the skin to lay flat and fit together better wich gives better results. If you have not visited her website I would check it out. She does absolutely lovely work and while she is a little bit more expensive that some PS's she is well worth the $$ for the spectacular care and work she does.

Love,

PS she does wonderful scar revisions work I am told as well.

Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 8:30 PM

Hi Ang,I have heard that vertical technique is good. Unfortunately, I will have to get the anchor mastopexy because of the way I was explanted. I hear Dr. Feng's scars are thin, that's a good thing. Some doctors use (mine did) stitches on the outside and you get ugly looking slash like scars. Never again. My next PS will stitch from the inside only. The more advanced PS do inside stitches.Pearl

Oh no Pearl.

Don't you dare give up on me. I will drive over the CBBT if I have to. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. I don't want you to give up!! We all have each other. We really do. Try Dr Feng's office again, I gave up to from trying to reach her but I think maybe can try to reach her for you since she a close relationship with dr. feng. Dr. Feng does care, I know because I hear now of so many stories of where she has held women why they just cried in her arms. She didn't return my calls either and that is why I went to my surgeon. I felt they were very compassionate but give Feng another try because I have learned now many good things about feng.

Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 4:44 PM

Hi ,I appreciate the information about Dr. Feng. Unfortunately, Dr. Feng's office does not return my phone call or e-mail regarding her use of general anesthesia for mastopexy. I can't have any more general anesthesia than already has been given to me. I became very sick from it and developed telogen effluvium. My only conclusion I can draw from this is that they don't care about MY situation and MY needs as an individual. There are surgeon out there who do mastopexy with local anesthesia with sedation. I'm just scarred because what if I choose another dud?It's nice that Feng makes nice incisions, but what about my hair? I've had a large degree of loss with no recovery thus far. Maybe being dead is a better alternative then I won't have to look at these explantation scars and my diffuse hair loss. I'm really depressed today.Pearl

Dear :

Hi. I don't want you to feel as though you need to apologise for Dr. Feng, or anyone for that matter, it's my problem. Thanks for listening.

I'm sorry to hear of your pain. How often is it? Are you in pain throughout your body or just in certain locations?

Pearl

Dear Pearl,

I wrote a long message to the group earlier explaining my pain and underlying conditions, which may or may not be a contributing factor. I was very upset and having a hard time, I feel that once again I have been lied to by my Dr who also gave me a diagnosis which was not true. He also put me on some meds which I am beginning to believe are making my pain even worse.

My pain is in my hands and feet, but lately it has been in my back and very difficult to sleep, or get comfortable no matter what I am doing.

I was not really apologizing for Dr Feng, I am sorry that you are having these problems, I can only really give you my experience as far as recommending a PS I cannot really say how good any are other than the one I went to who happens to be Feng.

I don't have any experiences with any other PS's on a personal level so if I seem to be promoting her it is because I had a very good experience with her. I am sure there are other PS's out there that may be just as good, but I don't know them personally.

I feel bad that you cannot go under with general anesthesia, however I work in the medical profession and still feel that the local sedation would also pose risks to you, as far as increased hair loss, I also feel if you are prone to this it could get stirred up no matter what type of procedure or meds are used on you, it is sad but true the meds they use for local can be just as hard on your body as general. I hope you can find someone who will work with you on this issue.

Love,

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 12:03 AM

Dear :Hi. I don't want you to feel as though you need to apologise for Dr. Feng, or anyone for that matter, it's my problem. Thanks for listening.I'm sorry to hear of your pain. How often is it? Are you in pain throughout your body or just in certain locations?Pearl

Have any of you considered Dr. Huang in Denver? That is who did my explant, and she actually went to school with Dr. Feng and/or they did their residency together. She is also board certified in microsurgery, and specializes in microscars. She is so compassionate and caring, and when no one would help me out with my pain issues back in December, she did. She answers email, although it may take a couple of days. She knows me well, and if you called her or wrote to her and told her I referred you, she would probably get back to you sooner. I referred another woman to her who was explanted in Sept and she is very pleased with her results and really liked Dr. Huang. Also, Dr. Huang worked hard to get her insurance to pay for it. Also, Dr. Huang is much cheaper than any other ps (at least from what I've seen women post). Her fee for the explant is $2500 and that includes your preop visit and all of your postop appts and the facility fee. Anesthesia was an add'l $800. So, my total bill was $3300, and insurance paid for every bit of it except for a $100 copay. Now I had my surgery done at an outpatient surgical center, and did not have the fees of a hospital, so that could be why it is much cheaper. However, when she and I discussed which facility to use (she has admitting privileges at 3), the hospitals were only about $1000 more, so it still would have been under $5000 total. The women that come in from out of town/state are usually operated on in the hospital setting, for whatever reason. It could be insurance related/driven, as well. I had no choice but to use the outpatient surgical center. My insurance was through one hospital system, and the 2 hospitals she uses are different systems. My insurance simply refused to allow me to go into a competing hospital. Fine with me---it all worked out well. She does a fabulous job and my scars are practically invisible. You can only really see them when you get up close. Also, I did not have a mastopexy done, so that is another reason my charge was less. She really didn't feel that I'd need a mastopexy; however I made her promise me that if she got the implants out and my breasts looked real bad, she would do a mastopexy. But my breasts look good and aren't any more saggy then before I had my implants. She did a fantastic job. I do know of 2 women who had the explant and mastopexy, and their total cost was $5000. She also had to detach my left nipple because once the implant was out, the nipples were uneven. She detached it and repositioned it so that it was pretty equal to the right, and I have complete sensation not just in my left nipple and breast, but both of them. If anyone wants her email or her phone #, let me know. She is well worth it!! She also is one of the pioneers in doing the en bloc technique. In addition, she was voted one of the top 10 doctors in the Denver metro area by other doctors. e ----- Original Message ----- From: Angelika Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 7:58 AM Subject: Re: Questions for Docs Oh no Pearl. Don't you dare give up on me. I will drive over the CBBT if I have to. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. I don't want you to give up!! We all have each other. We really do. Try Dr Feng's office again, I gave up to from trying to reach her but I think maybe can try to reach her for you since she a close relationship with dr. feng. Dr. Feng does care, I know because I hear now of so many stories of where she has held women why they just cried in her arms. She didn't return my calls either and that is why I went to my surgeon. I felt they were very compassionate but give Feng another try because I have learned now many good things about feng. ----- Original Message ----- From: perlesetlacet@... Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 4:44 PM Subject: Re: Questions for Docs Hi ,I appreciate the information about Dr. Feng. Unfortunately, Dr. Feng's office does not return my phone call or e-mail regarding her use of general anesthesia for mastopexy. I can't have any more general anesthesia than already has been given to me. I became very sick from it and developed telogen effluvium. My only conclusion I can draw from this is that they don't care about MY situation and MY needs as an individual. There are surgeon out there who do mastopexy with local anesthesia with sedation. I'm just scarred because what if I choose another dud?It's nice that Feng makes nice incisions, but what about my hair? I've had a large degree of loss with no recovery thus far. Maybe being dead is a better alternative then I won't have to look at these explantation scars and my diffuse hair loss. I'm really depressed today.Pearl

Pearl,

You should try Dr Huang also she is good! I have heard many great things about her also.

Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 6:59 PM

Have any of you considered Dr. Huang in Denver? That is who did my explant, and she actually went to school with Dr. Feng and/or they did their residency together. She is also board certified in microsurgery, and specializes in microscars. She is so compassionate and caring, and when no one would help me out with my pain issues back in December, she did. She answers email, although it may take a couple of days. She knows me well, and if you called her or wrote to her and told her I referred you, she would probably get back to you sooner. I referred another woman to her who was explanted in Sept and she is very pleased with her results and really liked Dr. Huang. Also, Dr. Huang worked hard to get her insurance to pay for it. Also, Dr. Huang is much cheaper than any other ps (at least from what I've seen women post). Her fee for the explant is $2500 and that includes your preop visit and all of your postop appts and the facility fee. Anesthesia was an add'l $800. So, my total bill was $3300, and insurance paid for every bit of it except for a $100 copay. Now I had my surgery done at an outpatient surgical center, and did not have the fees of a hospital, so that could be why it is much cheaper. However, when she and I discussed which facility to use (she has admitting privileges at 3), the hospitals were only about $1000 more, so it still would have been under $5000 total. The women that come in from out of town/state are usually operated on in the hospital setting, for whatever reason. It could be insurance related/driven, as well. I had no choice but to use the outpatient surgical center. My insurance was through one hospital system, and the 2 hospitals she uses are different systems. My insurance simply refused to allow me to go into a competing hospital. Fine with me---it all worked out well.

She does a fabulous job and my scars are practically invisible. You can only really see them when you get up close. Also, I did not have a mastopexy done, so that is another reason my charge was less. She really didn't feel that I'd need a mastopexy; however I made her promise me that if she got the implants out and my breasts looked real bad, she would do a mastopexy. But my breasts look good and aren't any more saggy then before I had my implants. She did a fantastic job. I do know of 2 women who had the explant and mastopexy, and their total cost was $5000. She also had to detach my left nipple because once the implant was out, the nipples were uneven. She detached it and repositioned it so that it was pretty equal to the right, and I have complete sensation not just in my left nipple and breast, but both of them.

If anyone wants her email or her phone #, let me know. She is well worth it!! She also is one of the pioneers in doing the en bloc technique. In addition, she was voted one of the top 10 doctors in the Denver metro area by other doctors.

e

Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 7:58 AM

Oh no Pearl.

Don't you dare give up on me. I will drive over the CBBT if I have to. You are such a beautiful person inside and out. I don't want you to give up!! We all have each other. We really do. Try Dr Feng's office again, I gave up to from trying to reach her but I think maybe can try to reach her for you since she a close relationship with dr. feng. Dr. Feng does care, I know because I hear now of so many stories of where she has held women why they just cried in her arms. She didn't return my calls either and that is why I went to my surgeon. I felt they were very compassionate but give Feng another try because I have learned now many good things about feng.

Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 4:44 PM

Hi ,I appreciate the information about Dr. Feng. Unfortunately, Dr. Feng's office does not return my phone call or e-mail regarding her use of general anesthesia for mastopexy. I can't have any more general anesthesia than already has been given to me. I became very sick from it and developed telogen effluvium. My only conclusion I can draw from this is that they don't care about MY situation and MY needs as an individual. There are surgeon out there who do mastopexy with local anesthesia with sedation. I'm just scarred because what if I choose another dud?It's nice that Feng makes nice incisions, but what about my hair? I've had a large degree of loss with no recovery thus far. Maybe being dead is a better alternative then I won't have to look at these explantation scars and my diffuse hair loss. I'm really depressed today.Pearl

• 2 years later...

Dear Cam,

The list of questions for a doctor were written by about a year ago.

Gotta run, Good luck with your appointment.

>From: " cammaltby " <cammaltby@...>

>Reply-

>

>Subject: questions for docs

>Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:39:45 -0000

>

>Hi All,

>

>I am off for my 2nd opinion with Dr Brochie and I recall (perhaps

>wrongly)that somewhere in this forum there was a list of quesitons to

>ask your doctor pre-surgury....but I can't find it...Was I dreaming?

>For some reason I think it came from ?

>

>As an earlier poster said, the questions always crop up at the most

>in-opportune times. It would be nice to have a " straw-man " to work

>off of. Maybe if there isn't such a document we should all work on

>one together as a way to assuage our fears/concerns?

>

> Cam

>

>

Cam,

I haven't read all the posts to see if anyone else responded, but

there is a list of possible questions to ask doctors in the " Files "

part of this site (click on the link on the left hand side). It's

then like the 10th link down from the top. Good luck with Dr.

Boachie. I saw him a couple of months ago.

loriann

Cam - I (with the input from everyone on this site) posted a list of Q's

for docs. It would have been last fall - I bet between late Aug and mid

Oct. I had filed it on my computer but cannot figure out how to find

it. I'll try going in the group and seeing what i can find but at least

I can narrow the date a little. If you find it, will you repost it? I

would have a lot more Q's abotu followup, the role of the surgeon vs the

physician's assistant vs the pain mgmt people, etc. I could add them to

the list. Thanks,

cammaltby wrote:

>Hi All,

>

>

>

> Cam

>

>

>

>

>

>Support for scoliosis-surgery veterans with Harrington Rod Malalignment

Syndrome. Not medical advice. Group does not control ads or endorse any

advertised products.

>

Cam - see post 2612.

cammaltby wrote:

>Hi All,

>

>

>

> Cam

>

>

>

>

>

>Support for scoliosis-surgery veterans with Harrington Rod Malalignment

Syndrome. Not medical advice. Group does not control ads or endorse any

advertised products.

>

, Lorianne and ...