RemedySpot.com

Heart problems

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Kae, I had severe heart problems. I developed shortness of breath, chest pain, palpitations, and an exercise intolerance in 1998-1999. I previously had been very active and engaged in a relatively healthy lifestlye by exercising lots, mostly running about 8-10 miles 3x/wk. I ran in lots of 10k's, mostly the Bolder Boulder, which is a huge race held in Boulder, CO on Memorial Day every yr. They have an elite women's division which includes Olympic runners and other professional runners. I had qualified for the elite womens division for the first time in 1996 because of my previous running times. Suddenly, in 1998 I developed the above symptoms. I was unable to run more than 1-2 miles a wk. It was extremely distressing, and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I had been in peak shape. I also started having severe neurological problems and when my neurologist performed a FLAIR MRI, it was discovered I had had a left cerebellar stroke. That was disturbing in itself, but how did I have this stroke? I was referred to a cardiologist, and an echo with a bubble study revealed that I had a large ASD (atrial septal defect, or hole in the septum of my heart). ASD's are extremely rare in adults, as they typically occur in newborns and children, and typically close on their own. I had an ASD as a baby, but further tests as an 8 yo, 12 yo, 16 yo, and 21 yo revealed that the ASD had closed, and my heart was "normal." The cardiologist had to perform a TEE (transesophageal echo) to confirm the findings of the regular echo. I opted for a general anesthetic and when I woke up, I was told that my ASD was very concerning because it was very large. Open heart surgery was recommended ASAP. In August, 1999, I underwent open heart surgery to repair the ASD. Not only the did the ASD repair fail to resolve my problems, but they got worse. In addition, I had multiple, severe complications from the surgery. But what is most interesting now is that my doctors are completely baffled as to how I redeveloped the ASD. Within the last yr, the heart surgeon who took over my case began to think that the silicone from my implants ate away at the septum of my heart and caused the ASD. He began to think this after my explant surgery and after I gave him the operative report from my explant. My left implant was "like glue" and my ps had to scrape off the silicone from my breast tissue/cavity. He, and my other docs, think that the silicone ate away at the heart tissue, then once a hole had formed, a piece of silicone traveled throught that hole and to my brain. Unfortunately, we will probably never know for sure what happened, because at the time, while I had my suspicions that implants were causing health problems, I hadn't done any research and quite honestly, would never have even thought that implants would or could have done that. All we have to go by is my MRI which shows the cerebellar stroke, the development of an ASD at an age when they are extremely rare (28-29 yo), and the multiple complications after the surgery. The tissue and any evidence that could have been analyzed for silicone residue is long gone, so everything my heart surgeon proposes now is just conjecture. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. e

• 4 years later...
Guest guest

Hi Dawn,

It could be Costochondritis, which is basically inflammation in your rib cage.

Depending on where it is, you can feel like you are having a heart attack or

have trouble breathing. The pain can be excruciating.

Google Costochondritis for more information. Most sites will say that it goes

away but I know people who have it chronically. I've had mine for about 15

years, flaring on and off.

Good luck,

--- In Rheumatoid Arthritis , " kenajean " <kenajean@...>

wrote:

>

> Hello everyone! Well I am writing again, looking for some

> information. Recently I began having some problems with my heart.

> Friday the 5th of May, I was at work and began having chest pressur,

> with only a little bit of pain. Within just a few minutes, I hard

> pain going into my left shoulder, and about halfway down my arm.

> Being only 29 yrs old, I never thought it was actually my heart.

> Well as the day progressed, it got progressively worse. By Saturday

> afternoon I was in the ER. They hooked me up to all the machines,

> LOL. Well my blood pressure was elevated, and my pulse would go up

> and down, for no apparent reason. After ruling out a heart attack,

> and inflammation around the heart they sent me home and told me to

> follow up with my regular Dr. Tuesday I was in his office right

> away, and he immediately referred me to a cardiologist. They did an

> echocardiogram, which came back normal. They also did a halter,

> that I had to wear for 24 hrs, and it also showed the rapid

> heartbeats. They did a CT-Scan on my lungs in order to rule out

> blood clots, since I am on Humira. They do not seem to have an

> answer for the cause, but keep telling me its not RA related. I am

> not as convinced. I have been put on 25 mg of Toprol once a day.

> Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Again my syptoms

> are.... rapid heartbeat, chest pain and pressure, shortness of

> breath, and even more fatigue. The more active I am, the worse it

> is. It even wakes me in my sleep! Any thoughts would be greatly

> appreciated.

>

>

> Thank You,

>

> Dawn

>

Guest guest

Did they do a stress test? This would look for changes in your EKG and symptoms when you are exercising. If you are unable to walk on a treadmill, they can do the stress test with drugs instead.

Also, did you see your rheumatologist and get his/her take on this??, RN

On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:00:24 -0000 "kenajean" <kenajean@...> writes:

Hello everyone! Well I am writing again, looking for some information. Recently I began having some problems with my heart. Friday the 5th of May, I was at work and began having chest pressur, with only a little bit of pain. Within just a few minutes, I hard pain going into my left shoulder, and about halfway down my arm. Being only 29 yrs old, I never thought it was actually my heart. Well as the day progressed, it got progressively worse. By Saturday afternoon I was in the ER. They hooked me up to all the machines, LOL. Well my blood pressure was elevated, and my pulse would go up and down, for no apparent reason. After ruling out a heart attack, and inflammation around the heart they sent me home and told me to follow up with my regular Dr. Tuesday I was in his office right away, and he immediately referred me to a cardiologist. They did an echocardiogram, which came back normal. They also did a halter, that I had to wear for 24 hrs, and it also showed the rapid heartbeats. They did a CT-Scan on my lungs in order to rule out blood clots, since I am on Humira. They do not seem to have an answer for the cause, but keep telling me its not RA related. I am not as convinced. I have been put on 25 mg of Toprol once a day. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Again my syptoms are.... rapid heartbeat, chest pain and pressure, shortness of breath, and even more fatigue. The more active I am, the worse it is. It even wakes me in my sleep! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Thank You,Dawn

"Have no fear for what tomorrow may bring. The same loving God who cares for you today will take care of you tomorrow and every day. God will either shield you from suffering or give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace, then, and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations."-St Francis DeSales

Guest guest

Are you allergic to Humira or developed an allergy to it or some other meds? I can't take calcium based channel blockers or I get: pressure on my chest, pain down the left arm. lightheaded, feel like I can't breathe and erractic pulse. I hope it's not your heart. Staceykenajean <kenajean@...> wrote: Hello everyone! Well I am writing again, looking for some information. Recently I began having some problems with my heart. Friday the 5th of May, I was at work and began having chest pressur, with only a little bit of pain. Within just a few minutes, I hard pain going into my left shoulder, and about halfway down my arm. Being only 29 yrs old, I never thought it was actually my heart.

Well as the day progressed, it got progressively worse. By Saturday afternoon I was in the ER. They hooked me up to all the machines, LOL. Well my blood pressure was elevated, and my pulse would go up and down, for no apparent reason. After ruling out a heart attack, and inflammation around the heart they sent me home and told me to follow up with my regular Dr. Tuesday I was in his office right away, and he immediately referred me to a cardiologist. They did an echocardiogram, which came back normal. They also did a halter, that I had to wear for 24 hrs, and it also showed the rapid heartbeats. They did a CT-Scan on my lungs in order to rule out blood clots, since I am on Humira. They do not seem to have an answer for the cause, but keep telling me its not RA related. I am not as convinced. I have been put on 25 mg of Toprol once a day. Has

anyone else experienced anything like this? Again my syptoms are.... rapid heartbeat, chest pain and pressure, shortness of breath, and even more fatigue. The more active I am, the worse it is. It even wakes me in my sleep! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Thank You,Dawn

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min with Messenger with Voice.

Guest guest

To my knowledge I have not developed an allergic reaction to

anything. Also the symptoms do not come and go, without the heart

medicine Toprol, they are constant. After ruling out a Heart

Attack, their biggest concerns were blood clots in the lungs, and

inflammation in the sac around the heart. All of these tests were

negative also. But I will ask if it could be an allergic reaction

at my appt. on Thursday. And Thank You again.

Dawn

Guest guest

Hi Dawn- Because you have RA " thyroid " problems can manifest easily. You may have a hyperthyroid or hypothyroid which can be caused by a growth on the glands themselves. You seem to be having atrial fibriliation symptoms. If your heartbeat is erratic, that is cause for concern!!!!!!!! Get yourself to an endocrinologist to assess your thyroid function. Slow down on the activity and make sure your cholesterol numbers are okay. Check your blood sugar too. You might benefit from a cat scan of your heart or other diagnostic tests. The source of the problem is why your pressure is erratic and unbalanced. Hugs, Deborah

On 5/16/06, kenajean <kenajean@...> wrote:

Hello everyone! Well I am writing again, looking for someinformation. Recently I began having some problems with my heart.Friday the 5th of May, I was at work and began having chest pressur,with only a little bit of pain. Within just a few minutes, I hard

pain going into my left shoulder, and about halfway down my arm.Being only 29 yrs old, I never thought it was actually my heart.Well as the day progressed, it got progressively worse. By Saturdayafternoon I was in the ER. They hooked me up to all the machines,

LOL. Well my blood pressure was elevated, and my pulse would go upand down, for no apparent reason. After ruling out a heart attack,and inflammation around the heart they sent me home and told me tofollow up with my regular Dr. Tuesday I was in his office right

away, and he immediately referred me to a cardiologist. They did anechocardiogram, which came back normal. They also did a halter,that I had to wear for 24 hrs, and it also showed the rapidheartbeats. They did a CT-Scan on my lungs in order to rule out

blood clots, since I am on Humira. They do not seem to have ananswer for the cause, but keep telling me its not RA related. I amnot as convinced. I have been put on 25 mg of Toprol once a day.Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Again my syptoms

are.... rapid heartbeat, chest pain and pressure, shortness ofbreath, and even more fatigue. The more active I am, the worse itis. It even wakes me in my sleep! Any thoughts would be greatlyappreciated.

Thank You,Dawn

Guest guest

Not to say of course you have Costo, but just to let you know, when the pain is

around my heart, it beats really fast and hard, I have nearly passed out from

it.

--- In Rheumatoid Arthritis , " kenajean " <kenajean@...>

wrote:

>

> Thank You very much for the information on Costochondritis. But I

> have to say, it doesn't fit. I am having rapid heartbeats, which is

> not part of the Costochondritis, also I can push on my breastbone

> without any pain. But again I thank You ofr your information, and

> will bring it up to my Dr.'s, because you never know!

>

> Thank You,

>

> Dawn

>

Guest guest

hi, Dawn! how about an over-active thyroid? that can cause rapid heartbeats...gentle hugs! Marciakenajean <kenajean@...> wrote: Thank You very much for the information on Costochondritis. But I have to say, it doesn't fit. I am having rapid heartbeats, which is not part of the Costochondritis, also I can push on my breastbone without any pain. But again I thank You ofr your information, and will bring it up to my Dr.'s, because you never know!Thank You,Dawn

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make PC-to-Phone Calls using Messenger with Voice.