RemedySpot.com

Re: Weekend

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi Donna, So sorry you had no power - a generator would be wonderful for those few times when you really need it.  Like you said, the heat is one thing, but no water would make things almost impossible, unless you have a lot of bottled water sitting around.

Your poor daughter!  My brother broke his collarbone years and years ago (in a go-cart accident) - probably the worst thing for him was that he was out riding a friend's go-cart when my parents had specifcally told him not to ride it.  I'm sure there were a lot of " I told you so " s from my mother after that.  Hopefully 's break won't require any additional treatment and will heal quickly. 

I'm glad things are improving with your dog! Carol

Hi Everyone,

I was MIA this weekend b/c our power went out during a huge storm on Fri night and didn't come back on until Sunday afternoon - I really need a generator b/c we are on a well and w/out power we have no water.  That was the worst part - the heat, I could live with - ugh.  But at least it is over.

To add to the fun, in the middle of the whole thing had an accident and broke her collarbone.  She (and I) are beyond bummed b/c her activities are so limited - and it is summer vacation.  She has to quit her horseback riding lessons and camp and I now need to find a camp that is injury friendly at the last minute.  UGH!

We have a follow up w/ the orthopedist to find out if any further treatment is needed (I hope not - I do know of someone who had to have surgery to repair the break, but the ER doc didn't think that was going to be the case - but we shall find out more once we see the ortho - I really, really hope not - that will just compound the trauma) *SIGH*

Needless to say, w/ all this going on - no workout for me!  I do plan to get back at it sometime this week though.

Oh - on the dog front things are going much better.  I'm still going to work w/ a trainer on the fear issues (I think that is our biggest challenge) but things around the house are much improved, and in spite of what my vet tech said, she *Is* leaving the rabbit alone, I still wouldn't trust her unsupervised w/ him, but I also didn't trust Shenan unsupervised with him - they are prey/predator!  I think that I let the Vet Tech erode my confidence in my ability to handle this dog - she told me I would never be able to train her to avoid the rabbit - but we did - if she goes to his cage, I can call her, say " leave it " and she will come.  The tech also said she didn't think I had a strong enough personality to overcome the fears (and yes, I'm not a super loud or aggressive person, but maybe that isn't entirely what is needed)  I guess it is like raising a kid to some extent, you read up on different theories of raising

them, but in the end you end up finding the blend of  theories that works best for you.

Ok - talk to everyone later.

Donna

Guest guest

Thanks, Carol! We went to the ortho today - basically, it is just a wait until it heals injury. We have to go back in 2 weeks for a re-check, but that is no-biggie.

The bad part is no horseback riding for 4 months, according to the doctor - due to the chance of re-injury. She was also beginning ice skating lessons -and again, she can't do that for 4 months.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was wondering where, when and how I would fit in time for dog training sessions - well, a lot of time just opened up for me. Weird how that works, isn't it?Things are going better with the dog - now, I just have to get my daughter to trust her again.

*SIGH*

Donna

Hi Everyone,

I was MIA this weekend b/c our power went out during a huge storm on Fri night and didn't come back on until Sunday afternoon - I really need a generator b/c we are on a well and w/out power we have no water. That was the worst part - the heat, I could live with - ugh. But at least it is over.

To add to the fun, in the middle of the whole thing had an accident and broke her collarbone. She (and I) are beyond bummed b/c her activities are so limited - and it is summer vacation. She has to quit her horseback riding lessons and camp and I now need to find a camp that is injury friendly at the last minute. UGH!We have a follow up w/ the orthopedist to find out if any further treatment is needed (I hope not - I do know of someone who had to have surgery to repair the break, but the ER doc didn't think that was going to be the case - but we shall find out more once we see the ortho - I really, really hope not - that will just compound the trauma) *SIGH*

Needless to say, w/ all this going on - no workout for me! I do plan to get back at it sometime this week though.

Oh - on the dog front things are going much better. I'm still going to work w/ a trainer on the fear issues (I think that is our biggest challenge) but things around the house are much improved, and in spite of what my vet tech said, she *Is* leaving the rabbit alone, I still wouldn't trust her unsupervised w/ him, but I also didn't trust Shenan unsupervised with him - they are prey/predator! I think that I let the Vet Tech erode my confidence in my ability to handle this dog - she told me I would never be able to train her to avoid the rabbit - but we did - if she goes to his cage, I can call her, say "leave it" and she will come. The tech also said she didn't think I had a strong enough personality to overcome the fears (and yes, I'm not a super loud or aggressive person, but maybe that isn't entirely what is needed) I guess it is like raising a kid to some extent, you read up on different theories of raising

them, but in the end you end up finding the blend of theories that works best for you.

Donna

Guest guest

Well, that's good news that there isn't any additional medical procedure necessary. I think that's pretty common with collarbone injuries. That's too bad about the ice skating and horseback riding, but perfectly understandable.  One year before we were supposed to leave to go to California for the summer (when I was a kid), my sister fell and broke her leg in three places - she was in a cast from foot to the very top of her leg.  She did not get to go to California with us that summer and had to stay home in hot and humid Oklahoma, instead of going to Palm Springs for the summer.  Boy was she ever unhappy!

Carol

Thanks, Carol!  We went to the ortho today - basically, it is just a wait until it heals injury. We have to go back in 2 weeks for a re-check, but that is no-biggie.

The bad part is no horseback riding for 4 months, according to the doctor - due to the chance of re-injury.  She was also beginning ice skating lessons -and again, she can't do that for 4 months.

I know this sounds crazy, but I was wondering where, when and how I would fit in time for dog training sessions - well, a lot of time just opened up for me.  Weird how that works, isn't it?Things are going better with the dog - now, I just have to get my daughter to trust her again.

*SIGH*

Donna

Hi Everyone,

I was MIA this weekend b/c our power went out during a huge storm on Fri night and didn't come back on until Sunday afternoon - I really need a generator b/c we are on a well and w/out power we have no water.  That was the worst part - the heat, I could live with - ugh.  But at least it is over.

To add to the fun, in the middle of the whole thing had an accident and broke her collarbone.  She (and I) are beyond bummed b/c her activities are so limited - and it is summer vacation.  She has to quit her horseback riding lessons and camp and I now need to find a camp that is injury friendly at the last minute.  UGH!

We have a follow up w/ the orthopedist to find out if any further treatment is needed (I hope not - I do know of someone who had to have surgery to repair the break, but the ER doc didn't think that was going to be the case - but we shall find out more once we see the ortho - I really, really hope not - that will just compound the trauma) *SIGH*

Needless to say, w/ all this going on - no workout for me!  I do plan to get back at it sometime this week though.

Oh - on the dog front things are going much better.  I'm still going to work w/ a trainer on the fear issues (I think that is our biggest challenge) but things around the house are much improved, and in spite of what my vet tech said, she *Is* leaving the rabbit alone, I still wouldn't trust her unsupervised w/ him, but I also didn't trust Shenan unsupervised with him - they are prey/predator!  I think that I let the Vet Tech erode my confidence in my ability to handle this dog - she told me I would never be able to train her to avoid the rabbit - but we did - if she goes to his cage, I can call her, say " leave it " and she will come.  The tech also said she didn't think I had a strong enough personality to overcome the fears (and yes, I'm not a super loud or aggressive person, but maybe that isn't entirely what is needed)  I guess it is like raising a kid to some extent, you read up on different theories of raising

them, but in the end you end up finding the blend of  theories that works best for you.

Donna

Guest guest

hi donna -

so sorry to hear about the lengthy power outage. we have the

same problem here, our well pump doesnt work without power, so no

washing anything or toilet flushing around here when there is an

outage :/

OMG about S's collarbone!! i hope that she isnt in alot of

pain, that must be awful for her. did you say that the

accident had something to do with your new dog? oh my, what a

crazy weekend you had!

im glad to hear that things are settling down a bit with your

pup. hang in there!

:*carolyn.

Guest guest

Yeah, that is SUCH  a bummer about camp.  I LOVED camp as a kid, BEGGED to go, and would still go if they had camp for adults that wasn't under the guise of a retreat of some sort.  Horsebackriding camp was my favorite, so I feel for poor .   Hopefully you can find something fun she will still enjoy and that she'll get to be in Nature, at any rate!

Guest guest

Quick note from me, just wanted to say I read the follow-up on and I'm glad she doesn't need surgery. So sorry she can't do her activities though!!!

Glad to hear the dog is started to work out better too!!

And, glad to hear your power is back on! We have a well too and that is the worst part of power outages for us usually.

Anyway, glad to hear things are getting better over there!

Weekend

Hi Everyone,

I was MIA this weekend b/c our power went out during a huge storm on Fri night and didn't come back on until Sunday afternoon - I really need a generator b/c we are on a well and w/out power we have no water. That was the worst part - the heat, I could live with - ugh. But at least it is over.

To add to the fun, in the middle of the whole thing had an accident and broke her collarbone. She (and I) are beyond bummed b/c her activities are so limited - and it is summer vacation. She has to quit her horseback riding lessons and camp and I now need to find a camp that is injury friendly at the last minute. UGH!We have a follow up w/ the orthopedist to find out if any further treatment is needed (I hope not - I do know of someone who had to have surgery to repair the break, but the ER doc didn't think that was going to be the case - but we shall find out more once we see the ortho - I really, really hope not - that will just compound the trauma) *SIGH*

Needless to say, w/ all this going on - no workout for me! I do plan to get back at it sometime this week though.

Oh - on the dog front things are going much better. I'm still going to work w/ a trainer on the fear issues (I think that is our biggest challenge) but things around the house are much improved, and in spite of what my vet tech said, she *Is* leaving the rabbit alone, I still wouldn't trust her unsupervised w/ him, but I also didn't trust Shenan unsupervised with him - they are prey/predator! I think that I let the Vet Tech erode my confidence in my ability to handle this dog - she told me I would never be able to train her to avoid the rabbit - but we did - if she goes to his cage, I can call her, say "leave it" and she will come. The tech also said she didn't think I had a strong enough personality to overcome the fears (and yes, I'm not a super loud or aggressive person, but maybe that isn't entirely what is needed) I guess it is like raising a kid to some extent, you read up on different theories of raising them, but in the end you end up finding the blend of theories that works best for you.

Donna

Guest guest

Thanks, ! I had 3 weeks to cover, and found something for 2 of them - both nature/animal camps. I have one more week to cover. Fortunately, she likes art so i'm going to see if I can find her an art camp for that week. The riding camp said she could come to the camp but not ride, but the other activities they do aren't particularly injury friendly - she can't swim b/c of the shoulder motion, and they use a slip and slide and she should probably avoid falls for the time being.

She has to lay off horseback riding for 4 months due to the chance or re-injury. She just started ice skating lessons and needs to lay off those for 4 months, too. Funny, I was wondering where I would find the time and money for dog training - guess both just opened up to me.

Donna

Subject: Re: WeekendTo: exercisevideos Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2012, 12:47 AM

Yeah, that is SUCH a bummer about camp. I LOVED camp as a kid, BEGGED to go, and would still go if they had camp for adults that wasn't under the guise of a retreat of some sort. Horsebackriding camp was my favorite, so I feel for poor . Hopefully you can find something fun she will still enjoy and that she'll get to be in Nature, at any rate!

Guest guest

Hi Carolyn,

Yes, the new dog (Luna) ran her over while we were playing ball in the yard. It was a stupid accident - over-excited racing dog meets kid who didn't get out of the way in time. I am finding that several intense games of fetch and hiding treats in the Kong help keep Luna nice and settled in the house.

I'm hopeful that the trainer can help us figure out how to deal w/ her fear/shyness around new people and dogs. Donna

Subject: Re: WeekendTo: exercisevideos Date: Tuesday, July 3, 2012, 12:33 AM

hi donna -so sorry to hear about the lengthy power outage. we have the same problem here, our well pump doesnt work without power, so no washing anything or toilet flushing around here when there is an outage :/OMG about S's collarbone!! i hope that she isnt in alot of pain, that must be awful for her. did you say that the accident had something to do with your new dog? oh my, what a crazy weekend you had!im glad to hear that things are settling down a bit with your pup. hang in there!:*carolyn.

Guest guest

> Yes, the new dog (Luna) ran her over while we were playing ball

> in the yard.

oh donna, that has happened to me many times! poor steph, i

hope that you can convince her that it wasnt the dogs fault...

when dogs love balls so much they lose focus on everything else

it seems.

:*c.

Guest guest

That's true - this dog is very focused on playing fetch games and also food (So I think she will be easier to train than Shenan who didn't care about food or toys!)Donna> Yes, the new dog (Luna) ran her over while we were playing ball> in the yard.oh donna, that has happened to me many times! poor steph, i hope that you can convince her that it wasnt the dogs fault... when dogs love balls so much they lose focus on everything else it seems.:*c.