RemedySpot.com

Re: re:kava kava

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I also drink the celestial seasonings tea and find that I have no side effects. The amounts in the tea are so minute that it shouldn't affect anyone. I worked for a vitamin company (herbal) when I lived in NY and what I learned was that the majority of the stuff on the market has such small amounts that it is not effective. I really don't think something like this will really affect you depending on how you react to herbs in general. I also looked at the Celestial Seasonings Tea. If you are using the the Tension Tamer, only some boxes have the Kava Kava. It will state Tension Tamer EXTRA if it has the Kava Kava. I looked at my tea boxes that I just purchased and realized that this past Tension Tamer I bought didn't have the Kava Kava because it didn't have the Extra on it. I looked all over the box and it didn't have Kava Kava anywhere on it. I then looked at my Sleepytime tea and it said Sleepytime Extra which I noticed had the Valerian Root. (25mg) I went to the CS website and looked up the TENSION TAMER Extra Tea and saw that they don't even state how much they have in the tea. It is more of a marketing technique that they use to get their tea to sell. They will put down that they have this in there and that, etc. and people will be like "wow, that is good for you" and buy it. They must pay attention to the actual standardization of that herb.

Most people would hesitate to take a prescription drug if the potency could vary radically from capsule to capsule causing them to some days get too much of the drug and some days too little. If you use herbs for a specific purpose, you will probably want to consider using a standardized extract. Standardization ensures that each capsule or tablet gives you a precisely measured dose of the herb’s active component. Most standardizations are based on the standardization of the herb used in the studies done on its effects. If you aren’t sure of what to look for in an herb with regard to strength and dosage.

Many companies that manufacture nutritional supplements have made it very difficult for the consumer to gather critical information about the product. There are many ways to convey information about a product, some of these ways provide accurate information in a manner that makes the product appear better than it is. In this section are some tricks to look out for as well as vital information that needs to be readily available to the consumer or health care practitioner.

Look for natural products. An example of this is vitamin E. The synthetic form of vitamin E, also called dl-alpha tocopherol or all-racemic alpha tocopherol, has approximately 1/3 the antioxidant activity of natural vitamin E, known as d-alpha tocopherol. Thus you will need up to three times as many capsules of a synthetic vitamin to equal one capsule of natural vitamin E. Example 2: Notice that the vitamin E is dl-alpha tocopherol. Notice, also that this product contains just 6 IU of vitamin E. For therapeutic benefit we suggest at least 400 IU of natural vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherols).

Look at the potency of the herb or nutritional supplement. This is perhaps one of the most complex issues to address. In analyzing a product you often times need a scientific understanding of the vitamin or herb in question. Contrary to popular belief, standardization does not mean concentrating the active ingredient. It simply means that we are concentrating an herb to a certain level of one or more ingredients, thus assuming that all other important constituents will also be concentrated or standardized. To illustrate this point lets look at some examples:

Saw Palmetto - The usual standardization is between 85-95% fatty acids. Thus if the product in question contains 45% Fatty acids you will need to double the amount of herb in order to get a therapeutic dose of the product.

Echinacea - The traditional standardization for Echinacea is 4% Echinacosides. It is not uncommon, however, to see products that contain no standardized herb. It is impossible to dose this herb appropriately because one capsule containing the raw herb may range from one to 20 capsules of the standardized herb. Standardization allows us to dose an herb with consistency from bottle to bottle. Example 3: Notice that this product contains both standardized and unstandardized herb. This product is properly labeled so that you can clearly determine the potency of capsules. Although the raw herb is beneficial, we will focus on the standardized portion to determine dosages.

Bromelain - This enzyme is used for its anti-inflammatory activity as well as to support digestion. Generally speaking, a high quality formula will be standardized to 2400 GDU/g (Gelatin Digesting Units per Gram). It is not uncommon to see formulas with a lower potency bromelain, such as one standardized to 600 GDU/g. This would, of course, be much less potent and would require a higher dose or many more capsules to affect the same result.

Here is some info I found on a study done by the http://www.amcp.org/jmcp/vol5/num4/conted.html (they also have som info on garlic. Here are the results of Kava and Valerian. Just to give you an idea of the amounts usually used.

KAVA

Kava root has been used for centuries in Polynesia as a ceremonial beverage that promotes relaxation.51 Native Polynesians masticate or pound the root, knead it with water, then strain the resultant extract into a bowl; the extract is then orally ingested. The traditional use of kava varies within the different areas of Oceania. The cultures on some islands use it solely for ceremonial purposes, others also use it as a social drink, and some also use it medicinally to soothe the nerves, induce sleep, counteract fatigue, treat congestion in the urinary tract, treat asthma and rheumatism, and for weight loss. The products available in the United States are typically powdered root, extracts, or tinctures. The pharmacology of kava has not been well characterized. The central nervous system activity of kava may be related to two series of closely related arylethylene pyrones (lactones), substituted 5,6-dihydro-alpha-pyrones and substituted alpha-pyrones, which are found in the roots and rhizomes of the plant as 5%-9% of the total pyrone content.25,51 These yrones are poorly soluble in water, but much more soluble in alcohol. The kava pyrones have a weak narcotic action via a nonopiate pathway; they paralyze sensory nerves, and they stimulate and then paralyze smooth muscle with increasing doses. Kava use can improve cognitive function, and kava pyrones can induce a mephenesin-like skeletal muscular relaxation in all species of lab animals, most notably in being able to protect mice from the convulsions caused by what should be toxic doses of strychnine.52 Large doses of kava pyrones produced ataxia and ascending paralysis without loss of consciousness, followed by complete recovery. In lab animals, death resulting from a large dose of kava pyrones was caused by respiratory failure.51 Chewing kava produces a numbness of the oral mucosa (i.e., a local anesthetic effect) comparable to that of cocaine and longer lasting than benzocaine.25 A standardized kava extract called WS 1490 (Laitan) or placebo was administered to 58 patients with anxiety syndrome unrelated to psychiatric disorders.53 In this double-blind study, patients took a dose of 100 mg three times daily. Therapeutic efficacy was primarily evaluated using the Hamilton Anxiety Scale (HAM-A) at baseline and after one, two, and four weeks of therapy. After one week the HAM-A total scores were lower and continued to decrease over the study period. Only an abstract is available, and it does not detail the statistical significance of the change or the comparison with placebo. A second placebo-controlled trial also using the extract called WS 1490 extended the observation period in another group of patients to 24 weeks.54 One hundred and one patients with DSM III-R-defined anxiety from nonpsychotic origin were randomized to WS 1490 or matching placebo. The primary test measurement to show efficacy was the HAM-A. Baseline characteristics were equally distributed. A statistically significant difference between WS 1490 and placebo was noted at eight weeks (p=0.02) with the difference in total scores widening over the next 16 weeks (p<0.001 at 24 weeks).

Chronic prolonged ingestion has been associated with kava dermopathies characterized by dry scaly skin appearing on the back of the hands, forearms, back, shins, and soles of the feet.55 The scales are called kani. Whether this is an allergic reaction or not remains to be determined. The only effective treatment is to discontinue ingestion. A drug interaction between kava (100 mg three times daily for three days) and alprazolam has been reported, with the individual exhibiting symptoms of lethargy and disorientation.56 In normal healthy adults (10 men and 10 women), kava (WS 1490) in a dose of 300 mg daily for eight days did not appear to alter performance parameters when combined with alcohol (0.5% blood concentration).57 This test, conducted in a placebo-controlled, double-blind design, is in contrast to other reports that note a marked drug interaction between kava and alcohol.25 The American Herbal Products Association approved cautionary labeling for kava products to include the recommendation to limit the daily dose of kava to 300 mg and to warn the consumer that "excessive consumption may impair ability to drive or operate heavy machinery."58 Kava may reduce the efficacy of levodopa in Parkinson’s patients.59 The recommended dose is 100 mg three times daily of a product standardized to 60–120mg kavalactones.6 The Commission E monograph advises that kava not be taken for longer than three months unless on the advice of a physician. Kava appears to be an effective antianxiety agent. One should be cautious in interpreting the available data and not assume that kava is not addicting. Short-term use for daytime anxiety could be appropriate. Patients should be warned about a possible sedating effect and that combining with other CNS depressants, including alcohol, is not advisable.

VALERIANValerian is an aromatic root used historically as a perfume and a sedative.25 Some find the root’s odor disagreeable. Valerian contains valepotriates, alkaloids, and a volatile oil with sesquiterpenes (valerenic acids). Many of the products used medicinally do not contain the valepotriates because valepotriates are heat labile and chemically unstable.6 Both valepotriates and valerenic acids cause sedation and are found in the water-soluble fraction in very small quantities. The water-soluble fraction shows the greatest clinical activity. Activity is thought to be due to an additive effect of constituents from the whole plant rather than to one or two particular constituents. The biochemical action of valerian remains unknown at this time. Twenty-seven subjects received either VALERINA NATT (a standardized extract containing 400 mg of valerian plus two other plant extracts from humuli and Herba melissae) or an identical tablet containing the same amounts of the other two plant extracts but only 4 mg of valerian root, in a randomized, cross-over design.60 A single dose of first one, then the other, preparation was taken at bedtime on two consecutive nights. The morning after the second night the subjects were asked to respond to a rating scale on the quality of sleep and whether one preparation was better, worse, or the same as the other. A sign test was used to test for significance. Of 27 subjects, 21 subjectively rated the test preparation to be better than the control preparation (p<0.001). The test preparation improved the sleep in 24 of 27 subjects compared to three of 27 subjects who took the control preparation. The order in which the preparations were taken did not appear to influence the results. HovaÆ contains valerian (water extract) 60 mg and hop flower extract 30 mg per tablet. HovaÆ was compared to placebo (finely ground brown sugar) and a 400 mg valerian extract.61 All came packaged in matching capsules. Each of 166 subjects received nine doses, three of each preparation. The subjects took each of the nine doses on nonconsecutive nights and rated them on a standardized questionnaire the next morning. The sample included subjects who reported being "good sleepers" (52%), who quickly fell asleep (73%), and who had less than two awakenings per night; 128 subjects completed the study protocol. Sleep latency was shortened in 35% of the subjects taking valerian (p<0.05 compared to placebo, not significant compared to HovaÆ). Sleep latency was increased in 22%, but this figure was not significantly different from that of placebo. HovaÆ shortened sleep latency, but the difference was not statistically different from placebo. Neither HovaÆ, valerian extract, nor placebo affected the quality of sleep in the subjects who did not have sleep disorders. However, in patients who reported sleep difficulties before the study, 51% improved in sleep quality (p<0.05 compared to placebo) when taking valerian extract. Subjects with poor sleep noted fewer nighttime awakenings, but the difference compared to placebo was not significant. Morning drowsiness was greatest with HovaÆ (p<0.01 compared to placebo and p<0.05 compared to valerian extract). Valerian was equal to placebo in morning drowsiness.

Valerian can cause morning drowsiness if the dose is too high.25 In animals, intraperitoneal doses up to 1600 mg/kg and oral doses to 4600 mg/kg induced ataxia, hypothermia, and increased muscle relaxation but no deaths. In controlled clinical trials in humans, headache, excitability, uneasiness, and cardiac disturbances were reported. In animals, additive pharmacological effects with other sedative/hypnotics were not found. No reports of drug interactions have been reported in humans.

The dose ranges from 2–3 grams for the dried root to 150–200 mg of the dry powdered extract taken 45 minutes before bedtime.6 Valerian can be taken as a tea (if palatability is not a problem), a tincture, or a fluid extract.

Valerian does cause a sedative effect. Whether this makes valerian an effective hypnotic remains to be determined. For patients who wish to use a hypnotic other than a benzodiazepine, antihistamine, or antidepressant, or who have used these products with limited or no success, valerian is worth a short trial. Patients should be cautioned about the potential for a morning hangover effect and the need to decrease the dose if this occurs. Despite the lack of published reports of problems, patients should be advised to be cautious about combining valerian with alcohol.

SUMMARY

The evidence that supports the efficacy and safety of herbal supplements varies greatly between products. Some of the herbal supplements reviewed appear to have clear places in therapy (e.g., saw palmetto). Others need more research into the most active standardized product and completion of well-done clinical trials to establish efficacy. Pharmacists knowledgeable about herbal supplements can work better with their patients to help them use these products safely and effectively.

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 7:24 AM

Subject: re:kava kava

I asked Dr Kolb and she reminded me that all herbs can have potential side effects especially if taken in large doses, I would like to see specific studies if you know of any that say that Kava Kava is bad for you if taken in small amounts such as in an herbal tea name brand types such as celestial seasonings. I am not trying to step on anyones toes here, I just want valid info on this since I drink it occasionally. I do take valerian everynight and find that I sleep well, better than the meds they tried to give me such as trazedone, I would rather take the valerian than trazedone, which has terrible side effects on me. Please let me know of reports of problems with kava kava that are relating to small doses of it.

Thanks,

Basically to sum up the large email that I just sent, no I personally don't believe that the Celestial Seasonings tea that you drink will cause you to have any side effects. I drink it and have been drinking it for a long time and noticed none. They can put one small drop of the herb in tea and they can tell you it has KAVA KAVA. When in acuality the amount is so small that it doesn't matter. We had an herbalist working for my company and she had answered a lot of questions that I had about the vitamins and herbs and why some didn't work, etc. Her name was actually Celeste. I nickname her Celestial Seasonings because of the tea and she was always drinking it. An herbalist named Celeste.

I was the marketing coordinator so I knew a lot about their tactics in drawing the consumer in. From looking at their website, I saw that they didn't put the amount of Kava Kava that they had in the TENSION TAMER Extra. Here is the link:

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/static_catalog/wellness/tte.jhtml

I asked Dr Kolb and she reminded me that all herbs can have potential side effects especially if taken in large doses, I would like to see specific studies if you know of any that say that Kava Kava is bad for you if taken in small amounts such as in an herbal tea name brand types such as celestial seasonings. I am not trying to step on anyones toes here, I just want valid info on this since I drink it occasionally. I do take valerian everynight and find that I sleep well, better than the meds they tried to give me such as trazedone, I would rather take the valerian than trazedone, which has terrible side effects on me. Please let me know of reports of problems with kava kava that are relating to small doses of it.

Thanks,

Thanks Angelika I agree I do not believe that there is enough kava kava to hurt you or cause any bad side effects, compared to most drugs they give you for sleep or even just a cup of soda or coffee I think that this herbal type tea is extremely safe so I will drink it if I need to sleep, better than putting more toxic meds in me. At least with the sleepy time tea I can rest easy and sleep nicely without waking up feeling like crap.

I believe that Dr Kolb put it well, anything can cause side effects if you use too much of it, and herbs are basically just natural medicines, so they all can have side effects.

I appreciate e's info, and I am not saying it was wrong, I believe that kava kava can have side effects if you take large quanitities too, just like anything.

I would be interested in seeing any reports or statistics that show that this herb imparticular is dangerous, however my favorite sleep tea is just plain valerian, that is the one that works the best, it is from the health food store and it is just valerian, nothing else at all, it is kind of bitter, but it really helps me sleep and I need to get all the rest I can.

How are you Angelika, long time no hear from ya, hope all is well.

Love,

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 8:43 AM

Subject: Re: re:kava kava

Basically to sum up the large email that I just sent, no I personally don't believe that the Celestial Seasonings tea that you drink will cause you to have any side effects. I drink it and have been drinking it for a long time and noticed none. They can put one small drop of the herb in tea and they can tell you it has KAVA KAVA. When in acuality the amount is so small that it doesn't matter. We had an herbalist working for my company and she had answered a lot of questions that I had about the vitamins and herbs and why some didn't work, etc. Her name was actually Celeste. I nickname her Celestial Seasonings because of the tea and she was always drinking it. An herbalist named Celeste.

I was the marketing coordinator so I knew a lot about their tactics in drawing the consumer in. From looking at their website, I saw that they didn't put the amount of Kava Kava that they had in the TENSION TAMER Extra. Here is the link:

Thanks,

Check out the German E Monographs on Kava Kava as this is the best source of information in Europe where this herb is widely used. I believe that I read it the most widely used herb in Europe. .

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 10:34 PM

Thanks Angelika I agree I do not believe that there is enough kava kava to hurt you or cause any bad side effects, compared to most drugs they give you for sleep or even just a cup of soda or coffee I think that this herbal type tea is extremely safe so I will drink it if I need to sleep, better than putting more toxic meds in me. At least with the sleepy time tea I can rest easy and sleep nicely without waking up feeling like crap.

I believe that Dr Kolb put it well, anything can cause side effects if you use too much of it, and herbs are basically just natural medicines, so they all can have side effects.

I appreciate e's info, and I am not saying it was wrong, I believe that kava kava can have side effects if you take large quanitities too, just like anything.

I would be interested in seeing any reports or statistics that show that this herb imparticular is dangerous, however my favorite sleep tea is just plain valerian, that is the one that works the best, it is from the health food store and it is just valerian, nothing else at all, it is kind of bitter, but it really helps me sleep and I need to get all the rest I can.

Love,

Thanks,

Have you ever used it in the tea form? I have never used it except when it is diluted with other stuff, like chamomile and stuff like that, I have used valerian and find it is better than any sleeping pill in terms of how you feel the next day.

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 8:36 PM

Check out the German E Monographs on Kava Kava as this is the best source of information in Europe where this herb is widely used. I believe that I read it the most widely used herb in Europe. .

Love,

Thanks,

I have occasionally taken it in the pill form but usually use Valerian more than Kava Kava. .

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 11:55 PM

Have you ever used it in the tea form? I have never used it except when it is diluted with other stuff, like chamomile and stuff like that, I have used valerian and find it is better than any sleeping pill in terms of how you feel the next day.

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 8:36 PM

Love,

Thanks,

I will try to get a repost of some articles from medical journals. I have

been receiving them now for about 1 month on how kava kava has been banned

in France due to adverse reactions, and I have just skimmed through them and

deleted them. I agree--all drugs, whether herbal or rx can be toxic, esp if

taken in large doses. But kava kava has been known for some time now to

cause more adverse reactions than other herbal " relaxers. " The

chemical/herb in kava affects the brain much more quickly than say,

valerian. I don't have all the specifics because I don't have the reports.

But I will attempt to get the reports and if I should receive any in the

next few days/wks, I will forward them to the group.

And , I have taken valerian before, and I agree with you that it is

one of the better drugs for sleep. No hangover feeling, no ill effects that

I'm aware of. Although, it can interact with heart meds and has also been

reported to have adverse side effects, although nowhere on the scale that

kava kava has.

e

>From: " Heer " <idagirl@...>

>Reply-

>< >

>Subject: Re: re:kava kava

>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 20:34:14 -0700

>

>Thanks Angelika I agree I do not believe that there is enough kava kava to

>hurt you or cause any bad side effects, compared to most drugs they give

>you for sleep or even just a cup of soda or coffee I think that this herbal

>type tea is extremely safe so I will drink it if I need to sleep, better

>than putting more toxic meds in me. At least with the sleepy time tea I can

>rest easy and sleep nicely without waking up feeling like crap.

>

>I believe that Dr Kolb put it well, anything can cause side effects if you

>use too much of it, and herbs are basically just natural medicines, so they

>all can have side effects.

>

>I appreciate e's info, and I am not saying it was wrong, I believe

>that kava kava can have side effects if you take large quanitities too,

>just like anything.

>

>I would be interested in seeing any reports or statistics that show that

>this herb imparticular is dangerous, however my favorite sleep tea is just

>plain valerian, that is the one that works the best, it is from the health

>food store and it is just valerian, nothing else at all, it is kind of

>bitter, but it really helps me sleep and I need to get all the rest I can.

>

>How are you Angelika, long time no hear from ya, hope all is well.

>

>Love,

>

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Angelika

>

> Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 8:43 AM

> Subject: Re: re:kava kava

>

>

> Basically to sum up the large email that I just sent, no I personally

>don't believe that the Celestial Seasonings tea that you drink will cause

>you to have any side effects. I drink it and have been drinking it for a

>long time and noticed none. They can put one small drop of the herb in tea

>and they can tell you it has KAVA KAVA. When in acuality the amount is so

>small that it doesn't matter. We had an herbalist working for my company

>and she had answered a lot of questions that I had about the vitamins and

>herbs and why some didn't work, etc. Her name was actually Celeste. I

>nickname her Celestial Seasonings because of the tea and she was always

>drinking it. An herbalist named Celeste.

> I was the marketing coordinator so I knew a lot about their tactics in

>drawing the consumer in. From looking at their website, I saw that they

>didn't put the amount of Kava Kava that they had in the TENSION TAMER

>Extra. Here is the link:

> http://www.celestialseasonings.com/static_catalog/wellness/tte.jhtml

> ----- Original Message -----

> From: Heer

>

> Sent: Friday, February 15, 2002 7:24 AM

> Subject: re:kava kava

>

>

> I asked Dr Kolb and she reminded me that all herbs can have potential

>side effects especially if taken in large doses, I would like to see

>specific studies if you know of any that say that Kava Kava is bad for you

>if taken in small amounts such as in an herbal tea name brand types such as

>celestial seasonings. I am not trying to step on anyones toes here, I just

>want valid info on this since I drink it occasionally. I do take valerian

>everynight and find that I sleep well, better than the meds they tried to

>give me such as trazedone, I would rather take the valerian than trazedone,

>which has terrible side effects on me. Please let me know of reports of

>problems with kava kava that are relating to small doses of it.

>

> Thanks,

>

>

>

>