RemedySpot.com

Patty

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Patty,

I have to clarify a misunderstanding and I apolgize for not explaining more thoroughly. If I had cancer, I probably wouldn't be quite as angry as I am. You see, I didn't have cancer. I had a solid mass which had to be surgically removed. The pathology report showed pre-existing malignancy cells and said both breasts had to be removed, 'cause the alternate breast usually has the same type of cells. I told him "no," thinking he had lost his mind, but five months later another mass was growing in the same breast. When I went to see him (again), for surgical removal of the mass, he said, "We can continue to remove your breast a little at a time, while you risk the chance of a malignant tumor showing up, or we can do the bilateral mastectomy and get it over with." So he removed both breasts including my nipples, but left my lymph nodes.

My primary physician referred me to this surgeon, saying he could remove the mass with little or no scarring. This Surgeon was a Plastic Surgeon. He did talk to me about reconstruction with implants, but I went another two yr's before I considered reconstruction and then I went to another p/s whom a co-worker referred me too. It wasn't until the time of my explant, that I discovered my breasts did not have to be removed.

The bottom line is - This p/s removed my breasts with the hope I would want him to reconstruct me. Now you want to talk about stupid! If I had cancer, I could except all that's happened with a little less anger. But I didn't have cancer - Yet, I lost my breasts, was reconstructed with devices that ruptured inside of me, with "allot" of migrating silicone, just to lose my breasts again and now I'm left with burning in my chest 24/7, pain and no quality to my life.

These were Doctor's and I trusted them.

Love and Hugs...............

Patty <fdp@...> wrote:

This makes me particularly sad to hear, because of all you have been through already with the cancer. As one of the ladies on Ilena's group said,

"I survived the cancer. It was the breast implants that nearly killed me."

Surviving cancer is no small feat. It is a major hurdle with life or death stakes, and I am sure most people still live in fear of it even afterwards. It is so tragic when doctors are convinced that they can "fix you up" to look normal again, giving assurances of the safety of implants when in fact it stresses the struggling body even further, and creates a whole new set of problems.

I am so sorry for what you have been through, ....we all can understand your anger!

Patty

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 7:40 PM

Subject: Patty

Hi Patty, I have to agree with you. Especially since I've undergone two bilateral mactectomy's. I remember my first office visit with the p/s. It had already been two yr's since my bilateral mastectomy and I explained to him, that I would not even consider this if I thought there could be any future complications. It was hard enough to accept the amputation of my breasts, but to be reconstructed, just to end up losing them again would be extremely difficult for me to adjust too, both physically and mentally.

Now here I am, with so much anger in my heart, I can hardly stand it. BREAST IMPLANTS are not a necessity! They are not life sustaining! And they're not healthy! Hugs..........