RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Bum- Question for Danna>?Part 2

Rate this topic

Guest guest

dear Danna,

Oh i thought u went to SIOS i went to the open night in October and asked many questions so I am pretty ready to go ahead that is for sure.

U went to NSWLS - may I ask why u opted for them and how is and where is it>

?

kind regards m AKA UmmAlaeah

Re: Bum- Question for Danna>?

Hi M,I ended up going to NSWLS instead of SIOS. I needed the referral for the appt with the Dr. Do you know if the first appt is with the Dr? I had to see the nurse and dietitian before I could see the Dr, as they both had to agree that I would be suitable for the surgery - I didn't need the referral to see them. I would get one from your GP anyway because you will need it eventually. I didn't need any x-rays, but the nurse gave me a referral for blood tests and then I had to have others requested by the Dr (but this is not a regular thing - he just wanted more tests done).My appt to surgery took 8 weeks but I know others who only took 4 weeks,and have heard of others where it takes only 2 weeks - depends on hou busy the Dr is and when he can get theatre time.You need to make a list of all the questions you have before the appt so that you can get all the information - ask any question that concerns you - nothing is too stupid (or so I discovered), also find out if you need to go on a pre-op diet and what it is - that way you can psych yourself up to it. They will also want to know what other weight loss methods you have tried, so make a list of those as well.It is really exciting once you get your first appointment as you know you are finally on your way.don't forget that if you are worried about anything you can always ask questions here - I know that I have probably driven most of the members here mad with my questions, but they never hesitated to help me - for which I am extremely grateful.Danna> >> > hi all,> > > > rang the office of SIOS this mornign to book in my appointment. > They are closed until 14 th January, 2007.> > > > Never mind i will be patient..> > > > regards UmmAleah> >> > > > > > > --------------------------------------------------------------------> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.12/1203 - Release Date: 12/30/2007 11:27 AM>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.12/1203 - Release Date: 12/30/2007 11:27 AM

There is only one thing with SIOS I think you have to pay for your fills now.

I had Dr Talbot but not through SIOS. I went and see him at either Miranda or Kogarah Public Hospital. There I get bulk billing for my fills.

I am surprised that they really pushed Optifast. Dr Talbot had no problems with me having Tony Ferguson. He actually recommended it besides the one that the hospital pushes. Not optifast can't think of it now.

Kellie

Re: Bum- Question for Danna>?Part 2

Hi UmmLeah (hope I've spelt that right!),I just got banded by Dr Talbot through SIOS on 5 December. I was originally going to see Dr Dumbrell but didn't really like him that much - so decided to shop around some more. Dr Talbot and the SIOS team are lovely. I just knew right away at the info night that it was the place for me. Now my original referral was from my GP to Dr Dumbrell. I asked SIOS if I needed a new referral and they said no - what they do is that the Doctor you see can write a letter to your GP (kind of a referral in reverse I guess). They didn't even look at the referral I had for Dr Dumbrell and I've never had to provide one from my GP.You won't see your surgeon at your first appointment. Instead you'll see one of the bariatric doctors (the guys that will do your fills and follow ups). They'll explain the procedure to you and order the blood tests and ECG you'll need.

You take that "order form" to a pathologist and they do the tests. They recommend some pathogolists in different areas (I had my tests done in Bankstown so I could pop in on some old work buddies at the same time) but I think you could go to anyone. The ones they recommended bulk billed so I just stuck with them. If you choose someone different - check about billing. I was very stressed about the tests - really worried about what they might find - but it turned out all fine. The tests happen quick - so don't worry about trying to get them now as you need the "order" anyway.SIOS will set up your appointments with the psychologist and dietician. If you can, you might see if you can get them all done on the same day as when you first see the doctor (they did that for me). The staff will then look at the calendar and who you want to do your surgery and pick a date. I think they have about four

surgeons working out of there so dates seem pretty easy to find (depending too on how flexible you are with who you want to do it - I wanted Dr T and it added about 2 weeks from the date when my health insurance kicked in - which is torture after waiting 12 months already - but I wanted him and so was prepared to wait). I think they also work out of two hospitals (I had mine done at Ashfield, but I think they have Holroyd as well - don't quote me).After the tests were all done, I went back in and saw the doctor again and he went through my test results with me (he suggested I increase my vitamin D and B12, which were in the normal range he just wanted to boost them) and the consent form for the surgery (although consent for the surgery can also be done on the morning of the procedure or when you meet your surgeon - if that happens before the surgery date).They will want you to do two

weeks of optifast prior to the surgery. I wanted to use Tony Ferguson - and the dietician reluctantly let me. They seem to have a strong preference for Optifast - still I lost 8kg in the 2 weeks and my surgeon was well pleased. I'd also lost some weight before doing the 2 weeks liquids - so I went into surgery 17kg lighter. (I've since put 2kg on over the last 4 weeks as I have no restriction in the band and have lots of appetite and ability to eat basically anything!!!)Once you've got all your appointments out of the way, the staff will send you a letter telling you how much you have to pay and by when. Once that's sorted you show up at the hospital on the morning of your surgery. I saw my surgeon prior to going into the theatre (like literally outstide waiting to go in while the anesthetist was getting me rigged up). If they can work out an appropriate time, they do try to get you to see your

surgeon beforehand - it just didn't work for me.I had a bit of a rocky recovery - my first week I was quite sick and in a fair amount of pain. But then I suddenly seemed to turn a corner and was doing a lot better. I had problems sleeping for the first 3 weeks because I like to sleep on my tummy but just couldn't manage it. Today is my first day back at work (exactly 4 weeks post surgery). I get a stitch in my left side when I over do things. I also sometimes get a pain on my right side that comes with some nausea - not sure what triggers that off. I am finally sleeping on my tummy again, but have to be careful when rolling over. Today is also my first day back at the gym - and things are feeling really good. I had no pains or problems. I did the cross-trainer, treadmill, bike and lifted some weights (baby weights compared to what I could lift before surgery). The weights were a bit of a

struggle on my arm muscles - but didn't cause any pains etc with the band.You should really consider the health insurance option though - because if anything happens to you post surgery (heaven forbid!) then you won't be covered for your hospital stay etc and you'll have to pay big dollars to get it fixed. I know it's unlikely to have something serious happen - but I have heard of it - and this is significant surgery. Just something to think about.For me I was so impatient about getting the band, that I kind of forgot that I'd have to wait to get some fill in it. With Christmas, I've had to wait 6 weeks to get the fill done (because they wouldn't do it at 2 weeks before they closed for Christmas - you usually you wait 4 weeks so you've had some time to heal). So right now, I feel like I'm playing an endless waiting game. Only 2 weeks to go now though!!!Wishing you all the

best!Kate

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.

Weird it was one of the doctors from SIOS that told me they were stopping the bulk billing

I was charged once for taking fill out.

Re: Bum- Question for Danna>?Part 2

Hi Kellie,SIOS still bulk bills their fills. When I heard the rumour that it was going to stop, I called them to make absolutely sure - as it was part of the reason why I chose them. I have been assured by them that they have no intention of stopping the bulk billing of fills.Cheers,Kate

Make the switch to the world's best email. Get the new Yahoo!7 Mail now.