RemedySpot.com

Tutor Needed

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello All!

I have recently moved to Ga and my son got to start school at Sander's

Elementary this fall. He is a high functioning autistic child with mild ADHD. It

seems as if, since he wasn't severe enough in his condition, they have thrown

him into mainstream classes. He still has an IEP and recieves speech,PT, and has

some supports with him. I'm in Cobb County and it seems as though all the

children have to take a CRCT test, which I'm not familiar with. They took a

practice run and his overall percentage is 29%. National average is 50% but you

must require a 25% to pass to the next grade level. I have contacted his

teachers several times asking for help, recieving no assistance. I want my son

to pass, but not barely, so I'd like to find a tutor that suits his needs that

can help. Any suggestions??? Any help would be great seeing as how the school is

perfectly willing to let him slide through with the bare minimum...

Hall

Hello , my son was 'mainstreamed' in school and I went along with it, but wish I hadn't. Once I fought and got him in special education, he thrived. He is out of school now, but we are in Forsyth County.

Good luck, and welcome to Georgia!

To: autism-georgia Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:06 PMSubject: Tutor Needed

Hello All!I have recently moved to Ga and my son got to start school at Sander'sElementary this fall. He is a high functioning autistic child with mild ADHD. Itseems as if, since he wasn't severe enough in his condition, they have thrownhim into mainstream classes. He still has an IEP and recieves speech,PT, and hassome supports with him. I'm in Cobb County and it seems as though all thechildren have to take a CRCT test, which I'm not familiar with. They took apractice run and his overall percentage is 29%. National average is 50% but youmust require a 25% to pass to the next grade level. I have contacted histeachers several times asking for help, recieving no assistance. I want my sonto pass, but not barely, so I'd like to find a tutor that suits his needs thatcan help. Any suggestions??? Any help would be great seeing as how the school isperfectly willing to let him slide through with the bare

minimum... Hall

You might also try working wtih an advocate on your IEP to see if they can help you get more services or accomodations for him. There are a couple of them that post on this site.

My daughter is in full inclusion and doing well with SpEd help in all segments BUT we have to be involved all the time to be sure everything is on track. The classroom teachers really don't seem to know anything about autism/asperger's or special ed and the SpEd teacher needs prodding to try anything outside the box...we stay in their faces (nicely!) and so far things continue to move in the right direction. It gets very discouraging having to keep on top of the school all the time but if it's what she needs, we'll keep doing it.

hang in there and push for what your baby needs :)

Subject: Re: Tutor NeededTo: "autism-georgia " <autism-georgia >Date: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 10:56 PM

Hello , my son was 'mainstreamed' in school and I went along with it, but wish I hadn't. Once I fought and got him in special education, he thrived. He is out of school now, but we are in Forsyth County.

To: autism-georgia Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:06 PMSubject: Tutor Needed

Hello All!I have recently moved to Ga and my son got to start school at Sander'sElementary this fall. He is a high functioning autistic child with mild ADHD. Itseems as if, since he wasn't severe enough in his condition, they have thrownhim into mainstream classes. He still has an IEP and recieves speech,PT, and hassome supports with him. I'm in Cobb County and it seems as though all thechildren have to take a CRCT test, which I'm not familiar with. They took apractice run and his overall percentage is 29%. National average is 50% but youmust require a 25% to pass to the next grade level. I have contacted histeachers several times asking for help, recieving no assistance. I want my sonto pass, but not barely, so I'd like to find a tutor that suits his needs thatcan help. Any suggestions??? Any help would be great seeing as how the school isperfectly willing to let him slide through with the bare

minimum... Hall

Thank you so much for your help! I would be lost if it weren't for all the parent support that I've received on this site. It's almost as if once he was mainstreamed, he was forgotten about. They seem to be letting him slide by with the bare minimum. I will always continue to fight for him. HallIgnite Independent Associatewww.jessicaignites.igniteinc.biz(757)513-4774 cellTurning Energy into Residual Income through the Power of Business Ownership

You might also try working wtih an advocate on your IEP to see if they can help you get more services or accomodations for him. There are a couple of them that post on this site.

My daughter is in full inclusion and doing well with SpEd help in all segments BUT we have to be involved all the time to be sure everything is on track. The classroom teachers really don't seem to know anything about autism/asperger's or special ed and the SpEd teacher needs prodding to try anything outside the box...we stay in their faces (nicely!) and so far things continue to move in the right direction. It gets very discouraging having to keep on top of the school all the time but if it's what she needs, we'll keep doing it.

hang in there and push for what your baby needs :)

Subject: Re: Tutor NeededTo: "autism-georgia " <autism-georgia >Date: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 10:56 PM

minimum... Hall