RemedySpot.com

Re: Something new: Possible cure for one type of Autism with fragile X syndrome (FXS)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

i'm so sorry but I had to laugh and share something, my husband and i were reading this and said what would an autistic mouse look like, so we imagined for a moment (I hope this doesn't offend it's not meant to)

will only eat cheese- he is a casine addict and bread, also a gluten addict, makes his wheel spin for hours while looking at it out of sides of his eye, says eeekk, eekkk ekkk, all day with no other words, doesn't ask for what he wants, bangs his head on his bars, doesn't take interest in doing interactive games with the other mice, has no social skills, can't read emotions.....now wait how in the world are they going to KNOW if they improve..........MICE DO THESE THINGS AND DON'T do these things.......come on now!!! if you are going to do this kind of studies find a better animal like a chimp that can sign and communicate, and MAKE wishes known, interact, and socialize........

Recovering from Autism is a marathon NOT a sprint, but FULLY possible! Read more about it on my Blogs athttp://www.myspace.com/christelking

Something new: Possible cure for one type of "Autism with fragile X syndrome (FXS)"

Hello to all,

I thought of sharing this wonderful news with everyone, I just heard this on December 30th. Best news ever and LOTS of hope for our children, please see below:

This was also feature on foxnews.com http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?122807/122807_an_autism & Americas%20Newsroom & Autism%20Breakthrough%3F & Autism%20Breakthrough%3F & Health & -1 & News & 170 & & & exp

Bangalore, December 20, 2007: Researchers from Bangalore¢s National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience (NIMHANS) and Massachusetts Institute of Technology¢s Picower Institute for Learning and Memory have cured key symptoms of mental retardation and autism in mice. By altering a single gene, they have significantly alleviated a wide range of abnormalities due to fragile X syndrome (FXS).

The breakthrough is important as it helps researchers develop drugs to cure autism faster.

FXS is the most common inherited cause of mental retardation and autism and scientists created a mouse in lab that had the same symptoms as humans.

The FXS symptoms include mental retardation, epilepsy, and abnormal body growth and there is no known treatment or therapy available to cure this disorder. The MIT researchers corrected FXS in mice modeling the disease. "These findings have major therapeutic implications for fragile X syndrome and autism," said study lead author Mark F. Bear, director of the Picower Institute and Picower Professor of Neuroscience at MIT.

The FXS patients have mutations in the X chromosome's FMR1 gene, which encodes the fragile X mental retardation protein, FMRP. The MIT study found that FMRP and metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR5) are at opposite ends of a kind of molecular seesaw. They keep each other in check, and without FMRP, mGluR5 signals run rampant. In FXS individuals, spines are more numerous, longer and more spindly than they should be. Thin spines tend to form weak connections.

The research team found that a 50 percent reduction in mGluR5 fixed multiple defects in the fragile X mice. In addition to correcting dendritic spines, reduced mGluR5 improved altered brain development and memory, restored normal body growth, and reduced seizures-many of the symptoms experienced by humans with FXS.

The work also indicates that a certain class of drugs could have the same effect. These drugs are not yet approved by the FDA, but will soon be entering into human clinical trials.

http://www.biospectrumasia.com/content/201207IND5092.asp

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1205 - Release Date: 12/31/2007 3:32 PM

too funny...why use mice anyway...they have already experimented on millions of children...Isn't that enough. They act like blind mice....I think everyone knows what's going on here.Christel King wrote: i'm so sorry but I had to laugh and share something, my husband and i were reading this and said what would an autistic mouse look like, so we imagined for a moment (I hope this doesn't offend it's not meant to) will only eat cheese- he is a casine addict and bread, also a gluten addict, makes his wheel spin for hours while looking at it out of sides of his eye, says eeekk, eekkk ekkk, all day with no other words, doesn't ask for what he wants, bangs his head on his bars, doesn't take interest in doing interactive games with the other mice, has no social skills, can't read emotions.....now wait how in the world are they going to KNOW if they improve..........MICE DO THESE THINGS AND DON'T do these things.......come on now!!! if you are going to do this kind of studies find a better animal like a chimp that can sign and communicate, and MAKE wishes known, interact, and socialize........ Recovering from Autism is a marathon NOT a sprint, but FULLY possible! Read more about it on my Blogs athttp://www.myspace.com/christelking Something new: Possible cure for one type of "Autism with fragile X syndrome (FXS)" Hello to all, I thought of sharing this wonderful news with everyone, I just heard this on December 30th. Best news ever and LOTS of hope for our children, please see below: This was also feature on foxnews.com http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?122807/122807_an_autism & Americas%20Newsroom & Autism%20Breakthrough%3F & Autism%20Breakthrough%3F & Health & -1 & News & 170 & & & exp Bangalore, December 20, 2007: Researchers from Bangalore¢s National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience (NIMHANS) and Massachusetts Institute of Technology¢s Picower Institute for Learning and Memory have cured key symptoms of mental retardation and autism in mice. By altering a single gene, they have significantly

alleviated a wide range of abnormalities due to fragile X syndrome (FXS). The breakthrough is important as it helps researchers develop drugs to cure autism faster. FXS is the most common inherited cause of mental retardation and autism and scientists created a mouse in lab that had the same symptoms as humans. The FXS symptoms include mental retardation, epilepsy, and abnormal body growth and there is no known treatment or therapy available to cure this disorder. The MIT researchers corrected FXS in mice modeling the disease. "These findings have major therapeutic implications for fragile X syndrome and autism," said study lead author Mark F. Bear, director of the Picower Institute and Picower Professor of Neuroscience at MIT. The FXS patients have mutations in the X chromosome's FMR1 gene, which encodes the fragile X mental retardation protein,

FMRP. The MIT study found that FMRP and metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR5) are at opposite ends of a kind of molecular seesaw. They keep each other in check, and without FMRP, mGluR5 signals run rampant. In FXS individuals, spines are more numerous, longer and more spindly than they should be. Thin spines tend to form weak connections. The research team found that a 50 percent reduction in mGluR5 fixed multiple defects in the fragile X mice. In addition to correcting dendritic spines, reduced mGluR5 improved altered brain development and memory, restored normal body growth, and reduced seizures-many of the symptoms experienced by humans with FXS. The work also indicates that a certain class of drugs could have the same effect. These drugs are not yet approved by the FDA, but will soon be entering into human clinical trials. http://www.biospectrumasia.com/content/201207IND5092.asp Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1205 - Release Date: 12/31/2007 3:32 PM

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

LOL!  Great point Christel!

As for this study, anyone reading this might think it pertains to

all autism but it is most certainly directed at Fragile X syndrome.  Fragile X

is usually tested for if you have a child with Autism but is then the child

usually is labeled fragile X.  Fragile X pertains to 2 % of the population of

autism.  So far Autism genetic research has turned up that there are over 100

different mutated genes that might play a role, yes mutated genes and different

ones for different cases.  This is however very

good news for those with Fragile X syndrome.  –

Christel King

<christelking1verizon (DOT) net> wrote:

i'm so sorry but I had to laugh and share

something, my husband and i were reading this and said what would an autistic

mouse look like, so we imagined for a moment (I hope this doesn't offend it's

not meant to)

will only eat cheese- he is a casine addict

and bread, also a gluten addict, makes his wheel spin for hours while looking

at it out of sides of his eye, says eeekk, eekkk ekkk, all day with no other

words, doesn't ask for what he wants, bangs his head on his bars, doesn't take

interest in doing interactive games with the other mice, has no social skills,

can't read emotions.....now wait how in the world are they going to KNOW

if they improve..........MICE DO THESE THINGS AND DON'T do these things.......come

on now!!! if you are going to do this kind of studies find a better

animal like a chimp that can sign and communicate, and MAKE wishes known,

interact, and socialize........

Recovering from Autism is a marathon

NOT a sprint, but FULLY possible!

Read more about it on my Blogs at

http://www.myspace.com/christelking

Something new: Possible cure for one type of " Autism with fragile X

syndrome (FXS) "

Hello to all,

I thought of sharing this wonderful news with everyone, I just heard

this on December 30th. Best news ever and LOTS of hope for our children, please

see below:

This was also feature on foxnews.com http://www.foxnews.com/video2/player06.html?122807/122807_an_autism & Americas%20Newsroom & Autism%20Breakthrough%3F & Autism%20Breakthrough%3F & Health & -1 & News & 170 & & & exp

Bangalore, December 20, 2007: Researchers from Bangalore¢s National

Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience (NIMHANS) and Massachusetts

Institute of Technology¢s Picower Institute for Learning and Memory have cured

key symptoms of mental retardation and autism in mice. By altering a single

gene, they have significantly alleviated a wide range of abnormalities due to

fragile X syndrome (FXS).

The breakthrough is important as it helps researchers develop drugs to

cure autism faster.

FXS is the most common inherited cause of mental retardation and autism

and scientists created a mouse in lab that had the same symptoms as humans.

The FXS symptoms include mental retardation, epilepsy, and abnormal

body growth and there is no known treatment or therapy available to cure this

disorder. The MIT researchers corrected FXS in mice modeling the disease.

" These findings have major therapeutic implications for fragile X syndrome

and autism, " said study lead author Mark F. Bear, director of the Picower

Institute and Picower Professor of Neuroscience at MIT.

The FXS patients have mutations in the X chromosome's FMR1 gene, which

encodes the fragile X mental retardation protein, FMRP. The MIT study found

that FMRP and metabotropic glutamate receptor (mGluR5) are at opposite ends of

a kind of molecular seesaw. They keep each other in check, and without FMRP,

mGluR5 signals run rampant. In FXS individuals, spines are more numerous,

longer and more spindly than they should be. Thin spines tend to form weak

connections.

The research team found that a 50 percent reduction in mGluR5 fixed

multiple defects in the fragile X mice. In addition to correcting dendritic

spines, reduced mGluR5 improved altered brain development and memory, restored

normal body growth, and reduced seizures-many of the symptoms experienced by

humans with FXS.

The work also indicates that a certain class of drugs could have the

same effect. These drugs are not yet approved by the FDA, but will soon be

entering into human clinical trials.

http://www.biospectrumasia.com/content/201207IND5092.asp

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try

it now.

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1205 - Release Date: 12/31/2007

3:32 PM

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try

it now.