RemedySpot.com

RE: Re: school lunches

Rate this topic

Guest guest

couldn't agree more with you. I would never feel comfortable leaving it up to the school and that's why I either pack or bring him his lunch every day. Seriously, it is too much for them to handle anyway. Maurine(overworked former teacher and knowing where you are coming from).diatplay wrote: I am a former teacher, so I am going to give you different advice from the sue em' advice others will give...unless you are in dire financial need and need the system to pay for your child's

lunches...it used to be that PARENTS always made their kids' meals and almost all kids had a brown bag in tow when they arrived on campus. Trust me, kids were much better off. School meals are toxic and it is a blessing that they are trying to help you instead of passing off non compliant items covertly until you catch them at it, and they so gee sorry we misunderstood, or we will speak to that spec employee....YOU NEED THESE PEOPLE ON YOUR SIDE and on your kids' side if you are going to have any hope of having your child eat the right things while at school. Do not antagonize the same folks that you are relying on for help with food issues...this is a different arena than academic needs. If this were my kiddo - and some day it will be - I wouldgive the cafeteria a list of can have and cannot have items with a photo of your child posted on it to display INSIDE the food prep area. Make sure that you know who

works in the cafe and they know you...in a GOOD way. Remember them at x mas with a thank you card/note and other staff on campus too so that these potential angels will watch out for YOUR kid even when you are not there to do it yourself. He will need encouragement and kudos and lots of support to follow a very restrictive diet and they can help you if they are motivated...they can also turn a blind eye if you roll down on them and make it so hard and antagonistic. I feel differently about academic and in classroom issues...food issues can be greatly assisted by an It takes a village and thank you so much for looking out for my baby approach.....in the long run you will thank me for telling you this - save your powder and anger for things over which you may really have to go to war....make bag lunches and count your blessings that you can get these people to help you IMPLEMENT his diet....instead of

doing it for you. They are your eyes and ears on the yard, in the caf, and in the classroom. Use this chance to get them to help you strategize solutions for making sure there are no infractions from what you send with this child yourself. That is just what I would do having worked for years as a teacher on campuses where many kids had special needs and some parents were much more effective advocates than others for their kids...aggressive does not always equal successful. Be reasonable where you can be...and you will get more when issues arise over which a real line in the sand must be drawn. School lunches are CRAP...I would nto want them to try and make MY kids' foods, period. Teach your child that he is the lucky one bc he is, truly. Are the workers going to put little prezzies and notes and pics in his bag for you too...of course not....LOL Di>> I just got this letter from the school nurse saying they can't meet my> son's needs for their school lunches--mostly she says in the way of> preservatives and artificial flavors (which she states is nearly> impossible).> Before I call her back, are there any ideas this group has for me to say to> her?> > Thanks.> > See below:> > > Hi Theresa,> > The Office of Food Services called me this afternoon and expressed some> concern about how to best provide for Craig's diet restrictions on the days> he buys lunch. Colleen P, the head of our cafeteria, has worked hard to> brain storm a way to modify the school lunches to meet Craig's needs. One> concern is being able to

eliminate all artificial flavors and preservatives,> which is nearly impossible when working with food prepared for large> numbers. Another concern is being able to provide a balanced and nutritious> lunch while abiding by Craig's restrictions and working with Balt. County's> food suppliers. L is the contact at the Office of Food Services for> Balt. Co. She would really appreciate it if you to give her a call to> discuss the best options for Craig, and get first hand from you what his> limitations are. Thanks so much for your help! I know Craig really likes> to buy lunch, and working together we hope to come up with a plan that will> allow for him to continue doing that within his diet.> > > > *Kate, RN, MSN*> > *School Nurse*>

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

I second everything that's been said thus far. My son's teacher actually serves neon colored Pepperidge Farm Goldfish at class parties. Fortunately, my son has no interest in trying them. It's disgusting to see his classmates hands all full of food coloring. It gets on the table and their faces. The only way to guarantee your son gets a healthy lunch is to pack it yourself. I started doing it in high school when I just couldn't stand the smell anymore of what was served in the cafeteria. After I did it, all of my friends joined in! Good luck.

Dana

-----Original Message-----From: mb12 valtrex [mailto:mb12 valtrex ]On Behalf Of Maurine MeleckSent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:14 PMTo: mb12 valtrex Subject: Re: Re: school lunches

couldn't agree more with you. I would never feel comfortable leaving it up to the school and that's why I either pack or bring him his lunch every day. Seriously, it is too much for them to handle anyway.

Maurine(overworked former teacher and knowing where you are coming from).diatplay <diatplay> wrote:

I am a former teacher, so I am going to give you different advice from the sue em' advice others will give...unless you are in dire financial need and need the system to pay for your child's lunches...it used to be that PARENTS always made their kids' meals and almost all kids had a brown bag in tow when they arrived on campus. Trust me, kids were much better off. School meals are toxic and it is a blessing that they are trying to help you instead of passing off non compliant items covertly until you catch them at it, and they so gee sorry we misunderstood, or we will speak to that spec employee....YOU NEED THESE PEOPLE ON YOUR SIDE and on your kids' side if you are going to have any hope of having your child eat the right things while at school. Do not antagonize the same folks that you are relying on for help with food issues...this is a different arena than academic needs. If this were my kiddo - and some day it will be - I wouldgive the cafeteria a list of can have and cannot have items with a photo of your child posted on it to display INSIDE the food prep area. Make sure that you know who works in the cafe and they know you...in a GOOD way. Remember them at x mas with a thank you card/note and other staff on campus too so that these potential angels will watch out for YOUR kid even when you are not there to do it yourself. He will need encouragement and kudos and lots of support to follow a very restrictive diet and they can help you if they are motivated...they can also turn a blind eye if you roll down on them and make it so hard and antagonistic. I feel differently about academic and in classroom issues...food issues can be greatly assisted by an It takes a village and thank you so much for looking out for my baby approach.....in the long run you will thank me for telling you this - save your powder and anger for things over which you may really have to go to war....make bag lunches and count your blessings that you can get these people to help you IMPLEMENT his diet....instead of doing it for you. They are your eyes and ears on the yard, in the caf, and in the classroom. Use this chance to get them to help you strategize solutions for making sure there are no infractions from what you send with this child yourself. That is just what I would do having worked for years as a teacher on campuses where many kids had special needs and some parents were much more effective advocates than others for their kids...aggressive does not always equal successful. Be reasonable where you can be...and you will get more when issues arise over which a real line in the sand must be drawn. School lunches are CRAP...I would nto want them to try and make MY kids' foods, period. Teach your child that he is the lucky one bc he is, truly. Are the workers going to put little prezzies and notes and pics in his bag for you too...of course not....LOL Di>> I just got this letter from the school nurse saying they can't meet my> son's needs for their school lunches--mostly she says in the way of> preservatives and artificial flavors (which she states is nearly> impossible).> Before I call her back, are there any ideas this group has for me to say to> her?> > Thanks.> > See below:> > > Hi Theresa,> > The Office of Food Services called me this afternoon and expressed some> concern about how to best provide for Craig's diet restrictions on the days> he buys lunch. Colleen P, the head of our cafeteria, has worked hard to> brain storm a way to modify the school lunches to meet Craig's needs. One> concern is being able to eliminate all artificial flavors and preservatives,> which is nearly impossible when working with food prepared for large> numbers. Another concern is being able to provide a balanced and nutritious> lunch while abiding by Craig's restrictions and working with Balt. County's> food suppliers. L is the contact at the Office of Food Services for> Balt. Co. She would really appreciate it if you to give her a call to> discuss the best options for Craig, and get first hand from you what his> limitations are. Thanks so much for your help! I know Craig really likes> to buy lunch, and working together we hope to come up with a plan that will> allow for him to continue doing that within his diet.> > > > *Kate, RN, MSN*> > *School Nurse*>

I too whole heartedly agree. I have worked as an Assistant Teacher for the special needs population for over 13 years. Now that I have my own 5 1/2 yr. old special needs child, I know I have to pick my battles. Send in your child's lunch each day and make sure it contains a snack in which he enjoys. That way he won't feel like eating his lunch is a punishment. I started out by getting the school menu in advance and making my daughter the gfcf version or as close to it as possible of what the other children were eating. Then I'd pack her a couple snacks, one for her and one for her to share, if she chose.

Another good thing to keep in mind is that many parents have gone back to packing their children's lunches. I see it daily. School lunches are NOT healthy, but many schools are in the process of trying to make changes in that arena.

Best of luck to you,

Karmen

Re: Re: school lunches

couldn't agree more with you. I would never feel comfortable leaving it up to the school and that's why I either pack or bring him his lunch every day. Seriously, it is too much for them to handle anyway.

Maurine(overworked former teacher and knowing where you are coming from).diatplay <diatplay> wrote:

I am a former teacher, so I am going to give you different advice from the sue em' advice others will give...unless you are in dire financial need and need the system to pay for your child's lunches...it used to be that PARENTS always made their kids' meals and almost all kids had a brown bag in tow when they arrived on campus. Trust me, kids were much better off. School meals are toxic and it is a blessing that they are trying to help you instead of passing off non compliant items covertly until you catch them at it, and they so gee sorry we misunderstood, or we will speak to that spec employee....YOU NEED THESE PEOPLE ON YOUR SIDE and on your kids' side if you are going to have any hope of having your child eat the right things while at school. Do not antagonize the same folks that you are relying on for help with food issues...this is a different arena than academic needs. If this were my kiddo - and some day it will be - I wouldgive the cafeteria a list of can have and cannot have items with a photo of your child posted on it to display INSIDE the food prep area. Make sure that you know who works in the cafe and they know you...in a GOOD way. Remember them at x mas with a thank you card/note and other staff on campus too so that these potential angels will watch out for YOUR kid even when you are not there to do it yourself. He will need encouragement and kudos and lots of support to follow a very restrictive diet and they can help you if they are motivated...they can also turn a blind eye if you roll down on them and make it so hard and antagonistic. I feel differently about academic and in classroom issues...food issues can be greatly assisted by an It takes a village and thank you so much for looking out for my baby approach.....in the long run you will thank me for telling you this - save your powder and anger for things over which you may really have to go to war....make bag lunches and count your blessings that you can get these people to help you IMPLEMENT his diet....instead of doing it for you. They are your eyes and ears on the yard, in the caf, and in the classroom. Use this chance to get them to help you strategize solutions for making sure there are no infractions from what you send with this child yourself. That is just what I would do having worked for years as a teacher on campuses where many kids had special needs and some parents were much more effective advocates than others for their kids...aggressive does not always equal successful. Be reasonable where you can be...and you will get more when issues arise over which a real line in the sand must be drawn. School lunches are CRAP...I would nto want them to try and make MY kids' foods, period. Teach your child that he is the lucky one bc he is, truly. Are the workers going to put little prezzies and notes and pics in his bag for you too...of course not....LOL Di>> I just got this letter from the school nurse saying they can't meet my> son's needs for their school lunches--mostly she says in the way of> preservatives and artificial flavors (which she states is nearly> impossible).> Before I call her back, are there any ideas this group has for me to say to> her?> > Thanks.> > See below:> > > Hi Theresa,> > The Office of Food Services called me this afternoon and expressed some> concern about how to best provide for Craig's diet restrictions on the days> he buys lunch. Colleen P, the head of our cafeteria, has worked hard to> brain storm a way to modify the school lunches to meet Craig's needs. One> concern is being able to eliminate all artificial flavors and preservatives,> which is nearly impossible when working with food prepared for large> numbers. Another concern is being able to provide a balanced and nutritious> lunch while abiding by Craig's restrictions and working with Balt. County's> food suppliers. L is the contact at the Office of Food Services for> Balt. Co. She would really appreciate it if you to give her a call to> discuss the best options for Craig, and get first hand from you what his> limitations are. Thanks so much for your help! I know Craig really likes> to buy lunch, and working together we hope to come up with a plan that will> allow for him to continue doing that within his diet.> > > > *Kate, RN, MSN*> > *School Nurse*>

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful and helpful advice. I really appreciate it.I never thought of giving him the same thing they are serving that day in a modified form.And I like the link.And I think everyone is correct about packing lunches. I was just looking for an alternative sometimes and I agree and I'm not sure if that's possible (never really know exactly what you are getting).

Thanks again for all the great responses!

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Guidance/special_dietary_needs.pdf explains federal law when it pertains to special diets for kids (parents must supply doctor's orders).

Having said that . . . do you really want to trust cafeteria personnel with something so important? We had problems with cross-contamination, etc. It really was a lot easier to pack our own food for my son when he was on GFCF/etc. than worry about infractions from school. It was just not that particular mountain I chose to die on as we had other issues with IEP stuff that I felt outweighed the dietary issue.

JMHO. Hope the link is helpful.

-BJ

See AOL's top rated recipes and

easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

We had the GF/CF diet added to our daughter's IEP.....a few weeks later the teacher's assistant gave my daughter pretzels during an activity - I had sent in GF/CF pretzel. So, you can't really put all your trust in them. Just my .02. AngieBJBlackler@... wrote: http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Guidance/special_dietary_needs.pdf explains federal law when it pertains to special

diets for kids (parents must supply doctor's orders). Having said that . . . do you really want to trust cafeteria personnel with something so important? We had problems with cross-contamination, etc. It really was a lot easier to pack our own food for my son when he was on GFCF/etc. than worry about infractions from school. It was just not that particular mountain I chose to die on as we had other issues with IEP stuff that I felt outweighed the dietary issue. JMHO. Hope the link is helpful. -BJ See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.