RemedySpot.com

school lunches

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I just got this letter from the school nurse saying they can't meet my son's needs for their school lunches--mostly she says in the way of preservatives and artificial flavors (which she states is nearly impossible).

Before I call her back, are there any ideas this group has for me to say to her?

Thanks.

See below:

Hi Theresa,

The Office of Food Services called me this afternoon and expressed some concern about how to best provide for Craig's diet restrictions on the days he buys lunch. Colleen P, the head of our cafeteria, has worked hard to brain storm a way to modify the school lunches to meet Craig's needs. One concern is being able to eliminate all artificial flavors and preservatives, which is nearly impossible when working with food prepared for large numbers. Another concern is being able to provide a balanced and nutritious lunch while abiding by Craig's restrictions and working with Balt. County's food suppliers. L is the contact at the Office of Food Services for Balt. Co. She would really appreciate it if you to give her a call to discuss the best options for Craig, and get first hand from you what his limitations are. Thanks so much for your help! I know Craig really likes to buy lunch, and working together we hope to come up with a plan that will allow for him to continue doing that within his diet.

Kate, RN, MSN

School Nurse

I am in Oregon and the law states here that if you are on a IEP or IFSP and it is stated in your IEP/IFSP the school must comply with it at their cost. Also if you are on free and reduced lunches and you have a note from a doctor or other professional stating the need for a special diet if you don't have an IFSP/IEP then the school also must comply and make it available for free or reduced whatever you have been accepted for.I would make sure it is in your IEP, if not call a meeting and get it changed. Then talk to the school and if they don't have a change of heart tell them it is your legal right and they must comply or you will hire a lawyer.I too pack my son's lunches and strictly forbid them to give him anything that does not come from home. I just don't trust the cross contamination and mistakes that go on.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.