RemedySpot.com

Re: Compounded Valtrex - still bitter to swallow for my son

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Careful with the flavorings...hate to say it but you may have to hold him down and syringe it in. I had to do it with my daughter :( yes it's hard to do but after a few times she knew it was going to happen and she began to take it willingly as long as I had something good for her to drink after she was done.jenniferreif1 wrote: Hi all!I got my pharmacy to compound my son's Valtrex into a yogurt like substance that I can mix into my son's juice. I try to do it on the sly, but the kid is on to me. He must have

some highly developed taste buds since I can take a sip of his juice and taste very little bitterness (the pharmacy put some product into it that was supposed to take away some of the bitterness)but he totally rejects anything that I give to him. Does anybody else have a kid that is "on to you" and along with a strong will, will not accept anything that may be "spiked" with medicine/supplements?The pharmacy said that they can put another flavor into it to see if it tastes any better. I think that I will take them up on their offer. I have this feeling, however, that I am eventually going to have to pin him down and give him his medicine via a syringe.Any suggestions?

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Tough love.  Some of my son's had to go down by force with a syringe.  After a while he just figured out that it was easier to just take it since he was going to have to do it no matter what.  And that actually led to him wanting to take pills, instead.  He was swallowing pills at 3.5.It's hard but sometimes you've just got to do it.CherylHi all!I got my pharmacy to compound my son's Valtrex into a yogurt like substance that I can mix into my son's juice. I try to do it on the sly, but the kid is on to me. He must have some highly developed taste buds since I can take a sip of his juice and taste very little bitterness (the pharmacy put some product into it that was supposed to take away some of the bitterness)but he totally rejects anything that I give to him. Does anybody else have a kid that is "on to you" and along with a strong will, will not accept anything that may be "spiked" with medicine/supplements?The pharmacy said that they can put another flavor into it to see if it tastes any better. I think that I will take them up on their offer. I have this feeling, however, that I am eventually going to have to pin him down and give him his medicine via a syringe.Any suggestions? 

-

I usually put all my childs meds in Juicy Juice Berry flavor cause it

hides about everything. She takes the compounded Diflucan out of the

syringe. I am starting the Valtrex tabs, but am going to do as Stan

suggested and wash off the blue, crush tabs and put in the berry

juice.

I need advice on dosing as my DAN doctor is guessing. How much is

your son getting?

Thanks,

-- In mb12 valtrex , Cheryl Lowrance

wrote:

>

> Tough love. Some of my son's had to go down by force with a

> syringe. After a while he just figured out that it was easier to

> just take it since he was going to have to do it no matter what.

And

> that actually led to him wanting to take pills, instead. He was

> swallowing pills at 3.5.

>

> It's hard but sometimes you've just got to do it.

>

> Cheryl

>

>

>

> > Hi all!

> >

> > I got my pharmacy to compound my son's Valtrex into a yogurt like

> > substance that I can mix into my son's juice. I try to do it on

the

> > sly, but the kid is on to me. He must have some highly developed

taste

> > buds since I can take a sip of his juice and taste very little

> > bitterness (the pharmacy put some product into it that was

supposed to

> > take away some of the bitterness)but he totally rejects anything

> > that I

> > give to him.

> >

> > Does anybody else have a kid that is " on to you " and along with a

> > strong will, will not accept anything that may be " spiked " with

> > medicine/supplements?

> >

> > The pharmacy said that they can put another flavor into it to

see

> > if it

> > tastes any better. I think that I will take them up on their

offer. I

> > have this feeling, however, that I am eventually going to have to

pin

> > him down and give him his medicine via a syringe.

> >

> > Any suggestions?

> >

> >

> >

>

Hi!

My son ia on 500 mg. twice a day. With the liquid it is 2 tsps. a day.

I have put it into the juicy juice grape. He took it that way for a

while. Maybe I should try a different flavor? I have also tried Welch's

cran grape 100% juice with his supplements. For a while, he couldn'tget

enough. But now whenever I give him a drink of anything he is on to me.

I will try again today, otherwise it is syringe time. How do you keep

your kids from spitting the medicine out? How do you keep their jaws

shut? My son is a biter. In fact I tried to use a pill shooter to get

the pill form of Valtrex down before we had it compounded into liquid

and I ended up with a bite that drew blood. What a savage!!! :)

I think what she meant was that some flavorings that pharmacists add

while compounding a medication include sugar or nutrasweet, things that

we don't necessarily want in our kids.

I am having my pharmacist add a flavoring tomorrow and then I'm pulling

out the ol' syringe and just giving it to him that way. At least then I

know my son is getting his full dose without me having to chase him

around all day with a sippy cup wondering if he drank everything.

>

> What is the issue with flavoring? My pharmacy added grape and my son

takes

> it with no problems.

>

>

>

> Thanks-

>

>

>

He's no longer on Valtrex (we've moved on to Zovirax) but when he was on it he was taking 750 mg 3x/day.Cheryl-I usually put all my childs meds in Juicy Juice Berry flavor cause it hides about everything. She takes the compounded Diflucan out of the syringe. I am starting the Valtrex tabs, but am going to do as Stan suggested and wash off the blue, crush tabs and put in the berry juice.I need advice on dosing as my DAN doctor is guessing. How much is your son getting?Thanks,-- In mb12 valtrex , Cheryl Lowrance  wrote:>> Tough love. Some of my son's had to go down by force with a > syringe. After a while he just figured out that it was easier to > just take it since he was going to have to do it no matter what. And > that actually led to him wanting to take pills, instead. He was > swallowing pills at 3.5.> > It's hard but sometimes you've just got to do it.> > Cheryl> > > > > Hi all!> >> > I got my pharmacy to compound my son's Valtrex into a yogurt like> > substance that I can mix into my son's juice. I try to do it on the> > sly, but the kid is on to me. He must have some highly developed taste> > buds since I can take a sip of his juice and taste very little> > bitterness (the pharmacy put some product into it that was supposed to> > take away some of the bitterness)but he totally rejects anything > > that I> > give to him.> >> > Does anybody else have a kid that is "on to you" and along with a> > strong will, will not accept anything that may be "spiked" with> > medicine/supplements?> >> > The pharmacy said that they can put another flavor into it to see > > if it> > tastes any better. I think that I will take them up on their offer. I> > have this feeling, however, that I am eventually going to have to pin> > him down and give him his medicine via a syringe.> >> > Any suggestions?> >> >> >>

And dye.CherylI think what she meant was that some flavorings that pharmacists add while compounding a medication include sugar or nutrasweet, things that we don't necessarily want in our kids.I am having my pharmacist add a flavoring tomorrow and then I'm pulling out the ol' syringe and just giving it to him that way. At least then I know my son is getting his full dose without me having to chase him around all day with a sippy cup wondering if he drank everything.>> What is the issue with flavoring? My pharmacy added grape and my son takes> it with no problems. > > > > Thanks-> > >

Sorry, I meant to say that he was taking 750 mg total.  250 mg 3x daily.CherylHe's no longer on Valtrex (we've moved on to Zovirax) but when he was on it he was taking 750 mg 3x/day.Cheryl-I usually put all my childs meds in Juicy Juice Berry flavor cause it hides about everything. She takes the compounded Diflucan out of the syringe. I am starting the Valtrex tabs, but am going to do as Stan suggested and wash off the blue, crush tabs and put in the berry juice.I need advice on dosing as my DAN doctor is guessing. How much is your son getting?Thanks,-- In mb12 valtrex , Cheryl Lowrance  wrote:>> Tough love. Some of my son's had to go down by force with a > syringe. After a while he just figured out that it was easier to > just take it since he was going to have to do it no matter what. And > that actually led to him wanting to take pills, instead. He was > swallowing pills at 3.5.> > It's hard but sometimes you've just got to do it.> > Cheryl> > > > > Hi all!> >> > I got my pharmacy to compound my son's Valtrex into a yogurt like> > substance that I can mix into my son's juice. I try to do it on the> > sly, but the kid is on to me. He must have some highly developed taste> > buds since I can take a sip of his juice and taste very little> > bitterness (the pharmacy put some product into it that was supposed to> > take away some of the bitterness)but he totally rejects anything > > that I> > give to him.> >> > Does anybody else have a kid that is "on to you" and along with a> > strong will, will not accept anything that may be "spiked" with> > medicine/supplements?> >> > The pharmacy said that they can put another flavor into it to see > > if it> > tastes any better. I think that I will take them up on their offer. I> > have this feeling, however, that I am eventually going to have to pin> > him down and give him his medicine via a syringe.> >> > Any suggestions?> >> >> >>

I prefer to crush the pill and mix it with small amount of pomegranate juice and syringe it and have an other syringe full of his favorite juice immediately after to wash the taste and then I give him a vitamin gummy bear or something he wants to eat ...Love, Gabby. :0)