RemedySpot.com

Re: Diane: Overcoming Autism book

Rate this topic

Guest guest

How ironic! Of the 20 + books I have on autism and that I have read from cover to cover, "Overcoming Autism" is the one that I HAVEN'T read. I've dug it out and it's now on my coffee table waiting its turn. I just started reading "The Verbal Behavior Approach" by Lynch Barbera, also ABA style. I am wondering, if you don't mind me asking, do you do your son's therapy yourself or have you hired professionals? Our last professional team was made up of very determined Lovaas people and they didn't want us to do ANY biomeds at all. Not even basic GF/CF ! They wanted to give my son cookies and candy as rewards for compliance. They didn't want him to do anything else such as speech or OT, just 6 hours a day of their stuff. They wouldn't stop repeating that their method was the ONLY ONE PROVEN to work and that all the other stuff doesn't work. After about 2 months of stress, I

realized I was never gonna change their minds so I let them go. Obviously it's still bothering me... So frustrating to deal with closed minded people like that. Anyway, I am doing my son's therapy myself now but it's a learning curve in itself. I'd love to know how other biomed parents are managing both... Stéphanie B diatplay wrote: , my non verbal son started to talk only after valtrex on board with an antifungal and

an antibacterial and the teaching strategies - ABA style in the book Overcoming Autism. The book ignores bimed and diet possibilities - strictly behavior folks...but their techniques got my son his first words instead of screams for eveything. And that is a big deal. Daddy and Mommy are very advanced words, and the book explains why...our words in the last months are apple for all fruit, ju (juice) for all drinks, though sometimes he sawys Wa now for water. He says ball, more, yeah!, no, go, ow (for out)baby, cow, the noises in songs and animal sounds....VALTREX with rx antifungals, an antibacterial and the Overcoming Autism approach to getting language to happen. Good luck. Get the infectious disease approach on board ASAP! Best of luck. Di> > > Wondering if anyone has seen any negatives with it? if so,> > of what type> > > and were they short lived?> > >> > > Just started this few days ago and seeing some 'antiviral'> behaviours> > -> > > no loss of language or 'proper' regression, but LOTS of> opposition and> > > demanding behaviours. We see that type of thing sometimes when> > starting> > > an antiviral or

antibacterial even, wondering if this could be> it (or> > it> > > is simply not suitable... or he is having a bad few days for> other> > > reasons...)> > >> > > Maybe a question for Yasko folks, as read that improved> methylation by> > > betaine can trigger some antiviral activity - this study I came> across> > > was specifically for hep C virus, but wondering if it could be a> more> > > general occurrence??> > >> > > natasa> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > > ---------------------------------> > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!> Mobile.> > Try it now.> > >> >> >> >> >> >> >>

>> ----------------------------------------------------------\> ------> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!> Search.> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Just wanted to share with you how I balanced the behavior therapy with

the biomedical therapy.

The first two books I read were " Facing Autism " by Lynn Hamilton and

" Overcoming Autism " by Lynn Koegel. Very different. Both very good.

the first was a good...here's your diagnosis, here's what you do.

She talked about both ABA and the Autism Research Institute. So, at

first, I thought it was generally accepted that the two would go hand

in hand. That was my expectation when meeting new therapists, so I

was surprised by the reaction I got from some ABA therapists... " I've

never seen the diet work for anyone " . I will say, that one was very

supportive and encouraged me to try whatever I thought made sense.

" Overcoming Autism " was great. It just so happened that as soon as I

finished the book, there was a presenter from UC san diego at our

local university, sponsored by the new autism clinic on campus. My

husband and I went to the seminar and got a good feel for Pivotal

Response Technique that day. we were able to hire the local autism

center to train us, my parents, and three college students who were

willing to work for not much money in exchange for the experience.

qualified for medicaid respite care, so that's how we paid the

college girls. One went to preschool with him daily and the other two

came to the house once/week to work with him while i made dinner. We

had team meetings with the autism center bi-weekly to keep everyone on

task/focused on the current goals. That was our behavioral therapy.

we had to make do with what we had, but it worked pretty well.

I quickly implemented Super-nu-thera with much success and followed

with GFCF within 3 months. All the while, setting up how I would go

about getting behavioral therapy for . No one ever told me not to

do biomedical, but I just had to learn to ignore the negativity. I

provided black olives (my son's favorite) or GFCF m & m's for their

reward and no one was upset with that. I think taking this all

-inclusive approach got my son a lot of improvement in a short period

of time. I don't know if we would have gotten anywhere with the

behavioral therapy without the gains we got from super-nu-thera and

GFCF. now, we've started working with a DAN! and 's no longer in

need of formal behavioral therapy. but it's good to have those skills

to fall back on when biomed intervention causes those temporary

setbacks.

Kari

> > > > Wondering if anyone has seen any negatives with it? if so,

> > > of what type

> > > > and were they short lived?

> > > >

> > > > Just started this few days ago and seeing some 'antiviral'

> > behaviours

> > > -

> > > > no loss of language or 'proper' regression, but LOTS of

> > opposition and

> > > > demanding behaviours. We see that type of thing sometimes when

> > > starting

> > > > an antiviral or antibacterial even, wondering if this could be

> > it (or

> > > it

> > > > is simply not suitable... or he is having a bad few days for

> > other

> > > > reasons...)

> > > >

> > > > Maybe a question for Yasko folks, as read that improved

> > methylation by

> > > > betaine can trigger some antiviral activity - this study I came

> > across

> > > > was specifically for hep C virus, but wondering if it could be a

> > more

> > > > general occurrence??

> > > >

> > > > natasa

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ---------------------------------

> > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!

> > Mobile.

> > > Try it now.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > ----------------------------------------------------------\

> > ------

> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!

> > Search.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!

Search.

>

Kari, Thank you so much for sharing. Good tip on hiring college students in need of experience. That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. And a little reassurance that it could be done... Stéphanie karicreehan wrote: ,Just wanted to share with you how I balanced the behavior therapy withthe biomedical therapy.The first two books I read were "Facing Autism" by Lynn

Hamilton and"Overcoming Autism" by Lynn Koegel. Very different. Both very good.the first was a good...here's your diagnosis, here's what you do. She talked about both ABA and the Autism Research Institute. So, atfirst, I thought it was generally accepted that the two would go handin hand. That was my expectation when meeting new therapists, so Iwas surprised by the reaction I got from some ABA therapists..."I'venever seen the diet work for anyone". I will say, that one was verysupportive and encouraged me to try whatever I thought made sense."Overcoming Autism" was great. It just so happened that as soon as Ifinished the book, there was a presenter from UC san diego at ourlocal university, sponsored by the new autism clinic on campus. Myhusband and I went to the seminar and got a good feel for PivotalResponse Technique that day. we were able to hire the local autismcenter to train us, my parents, and

three college students who werewilling to work for not much money in exchange for the experience. qualified for medicaid respite care, so that's how we paid thecollege girls. One went to preschool with him daily and the other twocame to the house once/week to work with him while i made dinner. Wehad team meetings with the autism center bi-weekly to keep everyone ontask/focused on the current goals. That was our behavioral therapy. we had to make do with what we had, but it worked pretty well. I quickly implemented Super-nu-thera with much success and followedwith GFCF within 3 months. All the while, setting up how I would goabout getting behavioral therapy for . No one ever told me not todo biomedical, but I just had to learn to ignore the negativity. Iprovided black olives (my son's favorite) or GFCF m & m's for theirreward and no one was upset with that. I think taking this all-inclusive approach got

my son a lot of improvement in a short periodof time. I don't know if we would have gotten anywhere with thebehavioral therapy without the gains we got from super-nu-thera andGFCF. now, we've started working with a DAN! and 's no longer inneed of formal behavioral therapy. but it's good to have those skillsto fall back on when biomed intervention causes those temporarysetbacks. Kari> > > > Wondering if anyone has seen any negatives with it? if so,> > > of what type> > > > and were they short lived?> > > >> > > > Just started this few days ago and seeing some 'antiviral'> > behaviours> > > -> > > > no loss of language or 'proper' regression, but LOTS of> > opposition and> > > > demanding behaviours. We see that type of thing sometimes when> > > starting> > > > an antiviral or antibacterial even, wondering if this could be> > it (or> > > it> > > > is simply not suitable... or he is having a bad few days for>

> other> > > > reasons...)> > > >> > > > Maybe a question for Yasko folks, as read that improved> > methylation by> > > > betaine can trigger some antiviral activity - this study I came> > across> > > > was specifically for hep C virus, but wondering if it could be a> > more> > > > general occurrence??> > > >> > > > natasa> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > > ---------------------------------> > > > Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo!> > Mobile.> > > Try it now.> > > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >>

> ----------------------------------------------------------\> > ------> > > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!> > Search.> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!Search.>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.