RemedySpot.com

Re: So, you want a physical -- Put a positive spin

Rate this topic

Guest guest

RE wordiness, and positive spin?

1) I agree with the concept, but alittle too wordy (for those who know me from listserv and elsewhere (Louis does!) you'll know I'm a wordy guy so this might be hard for me.

2) I too have a problem with this, and have tackled it in a different way, leaving the pt out of the loop almost altogether, but am NOT opposed to bringing pt into the loop.

A) when person WANTS a physical AND has NO other problems, I check insurance THEN BUT.

B) usually, pt is REALLY coming in for opinion on an acute problem, so almost ALWAYS tackle the ACUTE PROBLEM, then check benefits AFTER pt leaves for coverage.

C) EACH AND EVERY NEW PT (and if pt CHANGES INSURANCE) has an attempted contact to insurance to determine benefit for "well care" and this is recorded in the chart TO BE REVIEWED BEFORE THE NEXT VISIT.

3) IF I decided to put a notice on the back of the door (yep, me too, I put notices there) this is what I'd say

ATTENTION WELL VISIT REQUESTORS:

BE AWARE THAT NOT ALL INSURANCE POLICIES COVER WELL VISITS (also called "physicals")

WHILE I WOULD RATHER CHARGE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY FOR YOUR CARE, PLEASE CHECK WITH US BEFORE YOU SCHEDULE A WELL CARE PHYSICAL SO WE CAN CHECK ON YOUR COVERAGE AND BE SURE YOU DON'T OWE US AN EXTRA FEE.

SOMETIMES, SCHOOL PHYSICALS CAN BE DONE AT THE ANNUAL CHECKUP AND NOT COST EXTRA; OTHER TIMES THERE WILL BE A "FORM FEE" (usually $40 with any additional costs) CHARGED TO AVOID AN ADDITIONAL "WELL CARE" PHYSICAL FEE WHICH CAN COST MORE THAN $90 IN MANY CASES.

WE WANT OUR PATIENTS TO BE HAPPY WITH OUR CARE, AND RECOMMEND US TO OTHERS. THEREFORE IT IS IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO BE SURE TO CLARIFY YOUR NEEDS BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT. PLEASE SPEAK WITH OUR CHECK IN PERSONNEL PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT TO CLARIFY THESE ISSUES.

THANK YOU FOR HELPING US SERVE YOU BETTER

Just an idea, yours?

Matt from Western PA

Re: So, you want a physical...

Looks good. Good idea. I may just adopt a similar planmyself since it's something that I have to deal within my practice.I would also encourage the patients to get to knowwhat their insurance plan is about. What theirdeductibles are, what they are covered for, someinsurances only cover a wellness exam every threeyears. Soma--- Jacques Guillot <jacques.guillotgmail> wrote:> I have had so many people complaining they wanted to> be charged for a> physical after the fact, although they did not> request a physical. Of> course, I cannot charge it if it was not done. For> new patients, I can just> about always justify and charge for a physical due> to an initial> comprehensive evaluation.> > I typed this up to hang inside the exam room doors> as an education> campaign. I am coming to realize this space is a> valuable advertising real> estate! I am amazed how thoroughly anything posted> there is reviewed and> referenced by patients.> > Please provide feedback so I can tweak my final> draft. (I think this came> out fairly well due to the fact I wrote it with calm> feelings. When I write> these things during my reaction to specific events,> I am so angry the venom> is practically visible on the paper.)> > Jacques Guillot, MD> _________________________________> > *Physicals and Wellness Exams*> > Confusion can arise about physicals. Some insurance> contracts pay for> physicals so patients come out better (for example,> an annual physical with> no out of pocket cost) and some do not pay for> physicals.> > My goal is to:> > 1. Give you what you want.> 2. Maximize your insurance benefits for you.> > Problems arise when> > 1. Someone asks for a physical, but the service> he is really> requesting is not a physical. (For example, he> really wants his> hypertension or cough treated.)> 2. Someone is not familiar with his insurance> benefits and wishes> later something had been done differently.> 3. Someone comes in for care that is not a> physical, and later wants> the visit charged as a physical – *but I cannot> do this when a> physical was not done*.> 4. Particularly, if you are seeking care for a> specific symptom or> problem, I cannot bill it as a physical "just> because the insurance will pay> for a physical." Furthermore, if we do a> physical instead, there> might not be the optimal amount of time to deal> with the problem which you> really want to address.> > What is a physical (also called a wellness exam)?> > There is no exact definition. Generally a physical> is a periodic evaluation> to assess someone's overall health with a special> emphasis on preventive> care such as diet and exercise counseling,> immunizations, and screening for> health conditions, especially cardiovascular disease> and certain cancers.> > As there is a finite amount of time and energy> during a visit, all possible> issues might not be addressed during every physical.> Focus on diet might> distract focus from vaccinations. Extensive> discussion of controversial> cancer screenings might not leave time to talk about> osteoporosis screening.> > > This is not a comprehensive visit to address and> treat all problems or> concerns identified during the evaluation. *A> return visit might well be> necessary* to evaluate specific symptoms or issues> found during the physical> itself.> > Bottom Line> > - I thank you for the opportunity to work as your> physician.> - I want to give you the service you want.> - If you want a physical or wellness exam, ask> for it by name.>