RemedySpot.com

Pre-op clearance abuse

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here is a letter I've only had the nerve to send once or twice, but I should use routinely:TO: SurgeonsRE: Medical clearanceDear Colleague:If you need clearance for a procedure, please send me a written request for consultation. Please indicate diagnosis, planned procedure, location, and date. If there are any specific issues or questions based on the patient's acute problem or chronic conditions, please be clear so I can address them. I cannot give clearance based on labs, EKGs, or other ancillary testing. There can be an exception to this only if I have seen the patient in the immediate recent past. It might be up to you to determine whether there are acute symptoms requiring formal clearance or pre-operative medical evaluation. I will prepare my thorough report and return it to you with my assessment and recommendations. I will not fill out forms or H & P documents, especially for facilities at which I am not on staff. If necessary, you can have a clerk transcribe information from my notes to any necessary forms. Feel free to call me if we need to discuss the case.