RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Dairy products....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Even though I stay away from milk, and am not allergic to it per se.... I always have a big coughing fit for about an hour after eating even really mild stuff like vegetable soup shrug......"Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT" wrote: Asthma is an allergy. If you consume a food that you are allergic to, then it could set off your asthma. Peanuts and shellfish are notorious for causing allergic reactions. Milk will not make asthma worse unless you are allergic to milk. It can make the phlegm you have

thicker but it WILL NOT make your body produce more phlegm like many people say. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455 >> Has anyone tried eliminating dairy products and if so did your asthma > symptoms improve? > > I just came across an article at NewsTarget.com that said eliminating > dairy products and drinking lots of water can cure most asthma. I'm > wondering if there is any truth to this.>

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

I have to agree with Matt about the milk....I was saying in an earlier

post about hot chocolate about when my asthma acts up or if I have a

cold, I have to totally avoid milk because it makes me congested. I

wanted to clarify that congested was not because the milk made more

congestion...it is like Matt says...it made it thicker and less likely

to be coughed up. But I have to disagree with Matt about milk in asthma

attacks making them worse....I understand what he is saying, but milk

makes my symptoms worse by thickening the mucous and phlegm....it does

not make the asthma worse but it makes me have a tougher time dealing

with it. So, however you think...it makes the whole thing more miserable.

Coughing seems to be an issue with a lot of people here. I have learned

that there are different types of asthma, and coughing can be good or

bad. In most of my cases, coughing has been my best friend in bringing

up the phlegm. It is why I do the albuterol...so I can cough it up and

breath easier. I have had asthma attacks where I just wheeze and wheeze,

and it is almost impossible to cough it up...coughing is not an option

until something internal opens up the air ways.

I have found that there are a couple of things that open the air ways

internally that are natural...such as black coffee..the stronger the

better. cayenne pepper sprinkled heavily on my food, and long hot

showers. These are always done with my meds....the meds are the most

important. Medicine has come a long way in the past 20 or 30 years! Yes,

steroids might have something to do with possible side effects, but I

hate to think what the huge amounts of Primatene that I have done in the

past did long term to my heart and liver!

Good or bad, those were my thoughts.

Happy New Year!

Cindi

Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT wrote:

>

> Asthma is an allergy. If you consume a food that you are allergic to,

> then it could set off your asthma.

>

> Peanuts and shellfish are notorious for causing allergic reactions.

>

> Milk will not make asthma worse unless you are allergic to milk. It

> can make the phlegm you have thicker but it WILL NOT make your body

> produce more phlegm like many people say.

>

> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455

> <http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

> > Has anyone tried eliminating dairy products and if so did your asthma

> > symptoms improve?

> >

> > I just came across an article at NewsTarget.com that said eliminating

> > dairy products and drinking lots of water can cure most asthma. I'm

> > wondering if there is any truth to this.

> >

>

>

i would like to know where can i take my son to get tested to see what he is allergic to Rodney & Cindi wrote: I have to agree with Matt about the milk....I was saying in an earlier post about hot chocolate about when my asthma acts up or if I have a cold, I have to totally avoid milk because it makes me congested. I wanted to clarify that congested was not because the milk made more congestion...it is like Matt says...it made it thicker and less likely to be coughed up. But I have to disagree with Matt

about milk in asthma attacks making them worse....I understand what he is saying, but milk makes my symptoms worse by thickening the mucous and phlegm....it does not make the asthma worse but it makes me have a tougher time dealing with it. So, however you think...it makes the whole thing more miserable.Coughing seems to be an issue with a lot of people here. I have learned that there are different types of asthma, and coughing can be good or bad. In most of my cases, coughing has been my best friend in bringing up the phlegm. It is why I do the albuterol...so I can cough it up and breath easier. I have had asthma attacks where I just wheeze and wheeze, and it is almost impossible to cough it up...coughing is not an option until something internal opens up the air ways.I have found that there are a couple of things that open the air ways internally that are natural...such as black coffee..the stronger the

better. cayenne pepper sprinkled heavily on my food, and long hot showers. These are always done with my meds....the meds are the most important. Medicine has come a long way in the past 20 or 30 years! Yes, steroids might have something to do with possible side effects, but I hate to think what the huge amounts of Primatene that I have done in the past did long term to my heart and liver!Good or bad, those were my thoughts.Happy New Year!CindiMatt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT wrote:>> Asthma is an allergy. If you consume a food that you are allergic to, > then it could set off your asthma.>> Peanuts and shellfish are notorious for causing allergic reactions.>> Milk will not make asthma worse unless you are allergic to milk. It > can make the phlegm you have thicker but it WILL NOT make your body > produce more phlegm like many people say.>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455 > <http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455>>> >> >>> > >> > Has anyone tried eliminating dairy products and if so did your asthma> > symptoms improve?> >> > I just came across an article at NewsTarget.com that said eliminating> > dairy products and drinking lots of water can cure most asthma. I'm> > wondering if there is any truth to this.> >>>

There are different panels of tests and you should check by phone before going in...the reason being some offices are lazy and will tell you you only need 1 set but that set might only be for trees, and animals...the one for foods seems to be a different set. This happened to me and they were evasive at first, but it just boiled down to their office being underequipped. irma gonzalez wrote: i would like to know where can i take my son to get tested to see

what he is allergic to Rodney & Cindi <rctsielvtc (DOT) net> wrote: I have to agree with Matt about the milk....I was saying in an earlier post about hot chocolate about when my asthma acts up or if I have a cold, I have to totally avoid milk because it makes me congested. I wanted to clarify that congested was not because the milk made more congestion...it is like Matt says...it made it thicker and less likely to be coughed up. But I have to disagree with Matt about milk in asthma attacks making them worse....I understand what he is saying, but milk makes my symptoms worse by thickening the mucous and phlegm....it does not make the asthma worse but it makes me have a tougher time dealing with it. So, however you think...it makes the whole thing more miserable.Coughing seems to be an issue with a lot

of people here. I have learned that there are different types of asthma, and coughing can be good or bad. In most of my cases, coughing has been my best friend in bringing up the phlegm. It is why I do the albuterol...so I can cough it up and breath easier. I have had asthma attacks where I just wheeze and wheeze, and it is almost impossible to cough it up...coughing is not an option until something internal opens up the air ways.I have found that there are a couple of things that open the air ways internally that are natural...such as black coffee..the stronger the better. cayenne pepper sprinkled heavily on my food, and long hot showers. These are always done with my meds....the meds are the most important. Medicine has come a long way in the past 20 or 30 years! Yes, steroids might have something to do with possible side effects, but I hate to think what the huge amounts of Primatene that I have done in the

past did long term to my heart and liver!Good or bad, those were my thoughts.Happy New Year!CindiMatt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT wrote:>> Asthma is an allergy. If you consume a food that you are allergic to, > then it could set off your asthma.>> Peanuts and shellfish are notorious for causing allergic reactions.>> Milk will not make asthma worse unless you are allergic to milk. It > can make the phlegm you have thicker but it WILL NOT make your body > produce more phlegm like many people say.>> http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455 > <http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455>>> >> >>> > >> > Has anyone tried eliminating dairy products and if so did your asthma> > symptoms improve?> >> > I just came across an article at NewsTarget.com that said eliminating> > dairy products and drinking lots of water can cure most asthma. I'm> > wondering if there is any truth to this.> >>> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

When I was first started by my uncle (an internist) on corticosteroids

in the mid-50s, I was put on a milk-free, salt-free diet in the

hospital. And I had to stay on it after I left. So, gone were

chocolate milk, the occasional ice cream cone :( And you can't imagine

how awful not having any salt in your food tastes. But I got used to

it. Milk can cause a mucus reaction in even non-asthmatics, and the

salt-free diet was to combat the side effects of the

corticosteroids--they tend to make water retention a problem. Now that

I'm taking Flovent (and had some ankle and hand swelling), I've gone

back off salt --not totally salt free, but don't ever add salt to my

food. That helped a lot. The only " ice cream " I eat is sherbet. Diet

really can help -- I eat several small meals a day--three eggs a week

and chicken, fish, fresh veggies and fruit. Tend to avoid the heavy

pastries and pastas ('tho I love 'em). Was advised, also, by a

pulmonary doc, to keep the plumbing operating regularly, if ya get my

drift. Not over filling the stomach prevents the stomach from

compressing the diaphragm and that helps breathing, too. --marty

On Thursday, January 3, 2008, at 07:19 , Rodney & Cindi wrote:

> I have to agree with Matt about the milk....I was saying in an earlier

> post about hot chocolate about when my asthma acts up or if I have a

> cold, I have to totally avoid milk because it makes me congested. I

> wanted to clarify that congested was not because the milk made more

> congestion...it is like Matt says...it made it thicker and less likely

> to be coughed up. But I have to disagree with Matt about milk in asthma

> attacks making them worse....I understand what he is saying, but milk

> makes my symptoms worse by thickening the mucous and phlegm....it does

> not make the asthma worse but it makes me have a tougher time dealing

> with it. So, however you think...it makes the whole thing more

> miserable.

>

> Coughing seems to be an issue with a lot of people here. I have learned

> that there are different types of asthma, and coughing can be good or

> bad. In most of my cases, coughing has been my best friend in bringing

> up the phlegm. It is why I do the albuterol...so I can cough it up and

> breath easier. I have had asthma attacks where I just wheeze and

> wheeze,

> and it is almost impossible to cough it up...coughing is not an option

> until something internal opens up the air ways.

> I have found that there are a couple of things that open the air ways

> internally that are natural...such as black coffee..the stronger the

> better. cayenne pepper sprinkled heavily on my food, and long hot

> showers. These are always done with my meds....the meds are the most

> important. Medicine has come a long way in the past 20 or 30 years!

> Yes,

> steroids might have something to do with possible side effects, but I

> hate to think what the huge amounts of Primatene that I have done in

> the

> past did long term to my heart and liver!

>

> Good or bad, those were my thoughts.

> Happy New Year!

> Cindi

>

> Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT wrote:

> >

> > Asthma is an allergy. If you consume a food that you are allergic to,

> > then it could set off your asthma.

> >

> > Peanuts and shellfish are notorious for causing allergic reactions.

> >

> > Milk will not make asthma worse unless you are allergic to milk. It

> > can make the phlegm you have thicker but it WILL NOT make your body

> > produce more phlegm like many people say.

> >

> > http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455

> > <http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455>

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> > > Has anyone tried eliminating dairy products and if so did your

> asthma

> > > symptoms improve?

> > >

> > > I just came across an article at NewsTarget.com that said

> eliminating

> > > dairy products and drinking lots of water can cure most asthma. I'm

> > > wondering if there is any truth to this.

> > >

> >

> >

>

>

You explained that diaphragm trick wonderfully. I've tried to tell docs and family that eating a lot aggravated things and they kept thinking I meant something else. Martha wrote: When I was first started by my uncle (an internist) on corticosteroids in the mid-50s, I was put on a milk-free, salt-free diet in the hospital. And I had to stay on it after I left. So, gone were chocolate milk, the occasional ice cream cone :( And you can't imagine how awful not having any salt in your food tastes. But I got used to it. Milk can cause a mucus reaction in even non-asthmatics, and the salt-free diet was to combat the side effects of the corticosteroids--they tend to make water retention a problem. Now that I'm taking Flovent (and had some ankle and hand swelling), I've gone back off salt --not

totally salt free, but don't ever add salt to my food. That helped a lot. The only "ice cream" I eat is sherbet. Diet really can help -- I eat several small meals a day--three eggs a week and chicken, fish, fresh veggies and fruit. Tend to avoid the heavy pastries and pastas ('tho I love 'em). Was advised, also, by a pulmonary doc, to keep the plumbing operating regularly, if ya get my drift. Not over filling the stomach prevents the stomach from compressing the diaphragm and that helps breathing, too. --martyOn Thursday, January 3, 2008, at 07:19 , Rodney & Cindi wrote:> I have to agree with Matt about the milk....I was saying in an earlier> post about hot chocolate about when my asthma acts up or if I have a> cold, I have to totally avoid milk because it makes me congested. I> wanted to clarify that congested was not because the milk made more> congestion...it is like Matt says...it made it

thicker and less likely> to be coughed up. But I have to disagree with Matt about milk in asthma> attacks making them worse....I understand what he is saying, but milk> makes my symptoms worse by thickening the mucous and phlegm....it does> not make the asthma worse but it makes me have a tougher time dealing> with it. So, however you think...it makes the whole thing more > miserable.>> Coughing seems to be an issue with a lot of people here. I have learned> that there are different types of asthma, and coughing can be good or> bad. In most of my cases, coughing has been my best friend in bringing> up the phlegm. It is why I do the albuterol...so I can cough it up and> breath easier. I have had asthma attacks where I just wheeze and > wheeze,> and it is almost impossible to cough it up...coughing is not an option> until something internal opens up the air ways.>

I have found that there are a couple of things that open the air ways> internally that are natural...such as black coffee..the stronger the> better. cayenne pepper sprinkled heavily on my food, and long hot> showers. These are always done with my meds....the meds are the most> important. Medicine has come a long way in the past 20 or 30 years! > Yes,> steroids might have something to do with possible side effects, but I> hate to think what the huge amounts of Primatene that I have done in > the> past did long term to my heart and liver!>> Good or bad, those were my thoughts.> Happy New Year!> Cindi>> Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT wrote:> >> > Asthma is an allergy. If you consume a food that you are allergic to,> > then it could set off your asthma.> >> > Peanuts and shellfish are notorious for causing allergic

reactions.> >> > Milk will not make asthma worse unless you are allergic to milk. It> > can make the phlegm you have thicker but it WILL NOT make your body> > produce more phlegm like many people say.> >> > http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phlegm/AN01455> > > >> >> >> >> >> >> > > > >> > > Has anyone tried eliminating dairy products and if so did your > asthma> > > symptoms improve?> > >> > > I just came across an article at NewsTarget.com that said > eliminating> > > dairy products and drinking lots of water can cure most asthma. I'm> > > wondering if there is any truth to this.> > >> >>

>>>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

This group has been a great service in seeing a lot of different ideas on these types of things. Thanks for everyone's input"Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT" wrote: I agree >> Hi everyone,> > You know, I have to be really skeptical when someone writes that there is a *cure* to asthma, no matter what the "cure"

is. Asthma is a controllable disease, yes, but it can't be cured. That being said, I really don't think that if you eliminate dairy products that it's going to cure asthma.> > If someone is allergic to dairy products and has allergic asthma, it makes sense that avoiding dairy products is going to help the asthma. But otherwise, it seems like one of those all-too-magical cures, ones that I don't believe in!> > Like many of you, I avoid dairy products (especially milk/ice cream) when I'm having asthma trouble. My hot chocolate is the way to mix the packets with water--so no milk! I should've clarified that.> > Be well,> > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________> Looking for last minute shopping deals? > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>

I so agree!!! I really like this group of people!

Cindi

Noah Riding wrote:

> This group has been a great service in seeing a lot of different ideas

> on these types of things.

>

> Thanks for everyone's input

>

> */ " Matt Anders, RRT, AE-C, CPFT " /* wrote:

>

> I agree

>

>

> >

> > Hi everyone,

> >

> > You know, I have to be really skeptical when someone writes that

> there is a *cure* to asthma, no matter what the " cure " is. Asthma is

> a controllable disease, yes, but it can't be cured. That being said,

> I really don't think that if you eliminate dairy products that it's

> going to cure asthma.

> >

> > If someone is allergic to dairy products and has allergic asthma,

> it makes sense that avoiding dairy products is going to help the

> asthma. But otherwise, it seems like one of those all-too-magical

> cures, ones that I don't believe in!

> >

> > Like many of you, I avoid dairy products (especially milk/ice

> cream) when I'm having asthma trouble. My hot chocolate is the way

> to mix the packets with water--so no milk! I should've clarified

> that.

> >

> > Be well,

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> __________________________________________________________

> ______________

> > Looking for last minute shopping deals?

> > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

> http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

> <http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping>

> >

>

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

> <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51438/*http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs>

>