RemedySpot.com

Re: sleep meds--To e

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi e:

Since you're a nurse and all, I thought I could ask you this because of your obvious knowledge. I'm wondering what are the strongest prescription sleeping pills? I had heard that Seconal (sp) is? Any feedback? Also what is the best OTC anti nausea medication?

Thanks for the info. I appreciate your feedback.

Take care,

-Marie

Guest guest

I like ambien the very very best, but klonopin(clonazepam) works well for me, then there is Desyrel(trazedone) this one works too well and leaves me spacey but I know people who totally swear by it.

I tried tamazepam lately and am wondering if it can cause weight gain as I gained five freaking pounds since I tried that one, I am done with it now and will see if it helps with weight or not. I know 5 lbs sounds like nothing but it stresses me allot since I like to be thin and in shape and work hard ahh.

Anyhow, those are the ones I know of that e didn't mention, seconal, man isn't that what killed Elvis Presley? Bad stuff, don't think you will find that one being given any more for sure.

I had bad nausea coming off vicodin and had to get s script for phenergan which works good, but also makes me dizzy drowsey.

The ones e mentioned are good, but plain old pepto bismol can really work good, try it.

Love

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 7:12 PM

Subject: Re: sleep meds--To e

-Marie,

Seconal is a barbiturate, and most docs don't prescribe them anymore. In fact, prescribing barbiturates for sleep typically is considered poor practice. They are a dangerous group of drugs--easy to OD on, very sedating, and when mixed with other CNS depressants can be lethal. But to answer your question, yes, the barbiturates are probably the strongest class of sleeping pills available. Even when other sleepers don't work, most docs will not prescribe any barbiturate.

As for other sleeping pills and how strong they are. The majority of the sleepers are benzodiazepines. So, how a person responds to them will vary. So, what may be strong for me may not be strong for you. Many people take Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Serax, chloral hydrate, Ambien, Sonata, and others and some of these knock me off my feet. For instance, Ativan provides me a very good nights sleep, as does Xanax, but they cause me to be so drowsy that I can barely function the next day. Valium doesn't touch me. Serax and Sonata didn't touch me. Chloral hydrate worked great, but it is hard to get in the pharmacies because it's not prescribed a lot and the pharmaceutical companies aren't producing it a lot anymore. And while it isn't a barbiturate, its chemical properties are very similar to barbiturates, so most docs have moved away from prescribing it to adults. However, it is still used in children to calm them down and relax and sedate them.

So, while it seems like I've evaded your questions, I haven't. I just think that people respond so differently to different meds. I have taken care of many people who have been taking Dalmane (flurazepam) and find it extremely sedating and strong compared to other meds. The same with Halcion (triazalam). But without a doubt, the strongest and most potent of sleeping pills would be the barbiturates. And as such, there are very few docs willing to prescribe barbiturates due to their lethality. There are simply too many safer options out there.

As for OTC anti-nausea drugs, I'd have to say that the 2 I'm most familiar with are Dramamine and Meclizine. I'm not familiar with any other OTC anti-nausea drugs--all the others I know are rx only.

e

Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 12:45 AM

Hi e:Since you're a nurse and all, I thought I could ask you this because of your obvious knowledge. I'm wondering what are the strongest prescription sleeping pills? I had heard that Seconal (sp) is? Any feedback? Also what is the best OTC anti nausea medication?Thanks for the info. I appreciate your feedback. Take care,-Marie

Guest guest

-Marie, Seconal is a barbiturate, and most docs don't prescribe them anymore. In fact, prescribing barbiturates for sleep typically is considered poor practice. They are a dangerous group of drugs--easy to OD on, very sedating, and when mixed with other CNS depressants can be lethal. But to answer your question, yes, the barbiturates are probably the strongest class of sleeping pills available. Even when other sleepers don't work, most docs will not prescribe any barbiturate. As for other sleeping pills and how strong they are. The majority of the sleepers are benzodiazepines. So, how a person responds to them will vary. So, what may be strong for me may not be strong for you. Many people take Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Serax, chloral hydrate, Ambien, Sonata, and others and some of these knock me off my feet. For instance, Ativan provides me a very good nights sleep, as does Xanax, but they cause me to be so drowsy that I can barely function the next day. Valium doesn't touch me. Serax and Sonata didn't touch me. Chloral hydrate worked great, but it is hard to get in the pharmacies because it's not prescribed a lot and the pharmaceutical companies aren't producing it a lot anymore. And while it isn't a barbiturate, its chemical properties are very similar to barbiturates, so most docs have moved away from prescribing it to adults. However, it is still used in children to calm them down and relax and sedate them. So, while it seems like I've evaded your questions, I haven't. I just think that people respond so differently to different meds. I have taken care of many people who have been taking Dalmane (flurazepam) and find it extremely sedating and strong compared to other meds. The same with Halcion (triazalam). But without a doubt, the strongest and most potent of sleeping pills would be the barbiturates. And as such, there are very few docs willing to prescribe barbiturates due to their lethality. There are simply too many safer options out there. As for OTC anti-nausea drugs, I'd have to say that the 2 I'm most familiar with are Dramamine and Meclizine. I'm not familiar with any other OTC anti-nausea drugs--all the others I know are rx only. e ----- Original Message ----- From: perlesetlacet@... Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 12:45 AM Subject: Re: sleep meds--To e Hi e:Since you're a nurse and all, I thought I could ask you this because of your obvious knowledge. I'm wondering what are the strongest prescription sleeping pills? I had heard that Seconal (sp) is? Any feedback? Also what is the best OTC anti nausea medication?Thanks for the info. I appreciate your feedback. Take care,-Marie

Guest guest

I have been on trazadone for several years (75mg hs) and it really works for me. I sleep soundly for 8 hrs on this dose and have no side effects from it that I am aware of. I have no after effects...no dizziness, drowsiness, headaches, etc. My psychiatrist prescribes this along with prozac for major depression, recurrent.ESW

Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 9:11 PM

I like ambien the very very best, but klonopin(clonazepam) works well for me, then there is Desyrel(trazedone) this one works too well and leaves me spacey but I know people who totally swear by it.

I tried tamazepam lately and am wondering if it can cause weight gain as I gained five freaking pounds since I tried that one, I am done with it now and will see if it helps with weight or not. I know 5 lbs sounds like nothing but it stresses me allot since I like to be thin and in shape and work hard ahh.

Anyhow, those are the ones I know of that e didn't mention, seconal, man isn't that what killed Elvis Presley? Bad stuff, don't think you will find that one being given any more for sure.

I had bad nausea coming off vicodin and had to get s script for phenergan which works good, but also makes me dizzy drowsey.

The ones e mentioned are good, but plain old pepto bismol can really work good, try it.

Love

Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 7:12 PM

-Marie,

Seconal is a barbiturate, and most docs don't prescribe them anymore. In fact, prescribing barbiturates for sleep typically is considered poor practice. They are a dangerous group of drugs--easy to OD on, very sedating, and when mixed with other CNS depressants can be lethal. But to answer your question, yes, the barbiturates are probably the strongest class of sleeping pills available. Even when other sleepers don't work, most docs will not prescribe any barbiturate.

As for other sleeping pills and how strong they are. The majority of the sleepers are benzodiazepines. So, how a person responds to them will vary. So, what may be strong for me may not be strong for you. Many people take Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Serax, chloral hydrate, Ambien, Sonata, and others and some of these knock me off my feet. For instance, Ativan provides me a very good nights sleep, as does Xanax, but they cause me to be so drowsy that I can barely function the next day. Valium doesn't touch me. Serax and Sonata didn't touch me. Chloral hydrate worked great, but it is hard to get in the pharmacies because it's not prescribed a lot and the pharmaceutical companies aren't producing it a lot anymore. And while it isn't a barbiturate, its chemical properties are very similar to barbiturates, so most docs have moved away from prescribing it to adults. However, it is still used in children to calm them down and relax and sedate them.

So, while it seems like I've evaded your questions, I haven't. I just think that people respond so differently to different meds. I have taken care of many people who have been taking Dalmane (flurazepam) and find it extremely sedating and strong compared to other meds. The same with Halcion (triazalam). But without a doubt, the strongest and most potent of sleeping pills would be the barbiturates. And as such, there are very few docs willing to prescribe barbiturates due to their lethality. There are simply too many safer options out there.

As for OTC anti-nausea drugs, I'd have to say that the 2 I'm most familiar with are Dramamine and Meclizine. I'm not familiar with any other OTC anti-nausea drugs--all the others I know are rx only.

e

Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 12:45 AM

Hi e:Since you're a nurse and all, I thought I could ask you this because of your obvious knowledge. I'm wondering what are the strongest prescription sleeping pills? I had heard that Seconal (sp) is? Any feedback? Also what is the best OTC anti nausea medication?Thanks for the info. I appreciate your feedback. Take care,-Marie

Guest guest

AHA so it is the trazedone that has likely been causing my anxiety, I don't like it at all either, blah makes me crazy and only get about 5 hours sleep off it anyhow. I also was getting stomach aches from it.

I think the ambien works great but unfortunately it also is so addicting, and these Dr's don't like to give it out much. I wish I could figure out a way to sleep without drugs, but I am having a hell of a hard time doing so.

Love

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 11:58 PM

Rogene,

I also tried trazadone too. It initially worked well for me, but then I stopped it for almost a yr, and when I restarted it, I got severe panic attacks and decided that I couldn't take the drug anymore. The panic attacks were awful---something I'd never want to go through again after taking a med!

e

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 1:44 AM

That's one of the medications that I didn't get alongwith . . . don't remember the side effect . . . eitherstomach pain, or consipation . . . It didn't help mesleep either.Rogene--- e Rene <e_Rene@...> wrote:> Trazadone is frequently prescribed for insomnia. It> has an anxiolitic and> muscle relaxant quality to it. It works well for> many people.>> e>>> >From: "evelyn s wilkins" <ecky@...>> >Reply- > >< >> >Subject: Re: sleep meds--To e> >Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:51:48 -0400> >> >I have been on trazadone for several years (75mg> hs) and it really works> >for me. I sleep soundly for 8 hrs on this dose and> have no side effects> >from it that I am aware of. I have no after> effects...no dizziness,> >drowsiness, headaches, etc. My psychiatrist> prescribes this along with> >prozac for major depression, recurrent.ESW> > ----- Original Message -----> > From: Heer> > > > Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 9:11 PM> > Subject: Re: sleep meds--To> e> >> >> > I like ambien the very very best, but> klonopin(clonazepam) works well> >for me, then there is Desyrel(trazedone) this one> works too well and leaves> >me spacey but I know people who totally swear by> it.> >> > I tried tamazepam lately and am wondering if it> can cause weight gain as> >I gained five freaking pounds since I tried that> one, I am done with it now> >and will see if it helps with weight or not. I know> 5 lbs sounds like> >nothing but it stresses me allot since I like to be> thin and in shape and> >work hard ahh.> >> > Anyhow, those are the ones I know of that> e didn't mention,> >seconal, man isn't that what killed Elvis Presley?> Bad stuff, don't think> >you will find that one being given any more for> sure.> >> > I had bad nausea coming off vicodin and had to> get s script for> >phenergan which works good, but also makes me dizzy> drowsey.> >> > The ones e mentioned are good, but plain> old pepto bismol can> >really work good, try it.> >> > Love> > > > ----- Original Message -----> > From: e Rene> > > > Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 7:12 PM> > Subject: Re: sleep meds--To> e> >> >> > -Marie,> >> > Seconal is a barbiturate, and most docs don't> prescribe them anymore.> >In fact, prescribing barbiturates for sleep> typically is considered poor> >practice. They are a dangerous group of> drugs--easy to OD on, very> >sedating, and when mixed with other CNS depressants> can be lethal. But to> >answer your question, yes, the barbiturates are> probably the strongest> >class of sleeping pills available. Even when other> sleepers don't work,> >most docs will not prescribe any barbiturate.> >> > As for other sleeping pills and how strong> they are. The majority of> >the sleepers are benzodiazepines. So, how a person> responds to them will> >vary. So, what may be strong for me may not be> strong for you. Many> >people take Valium, Xanax, Ativan, Serax, chloral> hydrate, Ambien, Sonata,> >and others and some of these knock me off my feet.> For instance, Ativan> >provides me a very good nights sleep, as does> Xanax, but they cause me to> >be so drowsy that I can barely function the next> day. Valium doesn't touch> >me. Serax and Sonata didn't touch me. Chloral> hydrate worked great, but> >it is hard to get in the pharmacies because it's> not prescribed a lot and> >the pharmaceutical companies aren't producing it a> lot anymore. And while> >it isn't a barbiturate, its chemical properties are> very similar to> >barbiturates, so most docs have moved away from> prescribing it to adults.> >However, it is still used in children to calm them> down and relax and> >sedate them.> >> > So, while it seems like I've evaded your> questions, I haven't. I just> >think that people respond so differently to> different meds. I have taken> >care of many people who have been taking Dalmane> (flurazepam) and find it> >extremely sedating and strong compared to other> meds. The same with> >Halcion (triazalam). But without a doubt, the> strongest and most potent of> >sleeping pills would be the barbiturates. And as> such, there are very few> >docs willing to prescribe barbiturates due to their> lethality. There are> >simply too many safer options out there.> >> > As for OTC anti-nausea drugs, I'd have to say> that the 2 I'm most> >familiar with are Dramamine and Meclizine. I'm not> familiar with any other> >OTC anti-nausea drugs--all the others I know are rx> only.> >> > e> >> > ----- Original Message -----> > From: perlesetlacet@...> > Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 12:45 AM> > > > Subject: Re: sleep meds--To> e> >> > Hi e:> > Since you're a nurse and all, I thought I> could ask you this because> >of your obvious knowledge. I'm wondering what are> the strongest> >prescription sleeping pills? I had heard that> Seconal (sp) is? Any> >feedback? Also what is the best OTC anti nausea> medication?> >> > Thanks for the info. I appreciate your> feedback.> >> > Take care,> > -Marie> >

Guest guest

Personally, I think the thing that's addictive is

sleep itself! I started sleeping after I was born, and

have never been able to do without it! :-)

I've been taking sleep meds for at least five years .

.. . I've tried doing without them from time to time .

.. . don't sleep very well - and then I don't feel very

well . . . neither do I have any withdrawal

problems,etc., nor do I notice any side effects

(unless maybe gaining weight is one).

I'm thinking something is going on in medical circles

regarding sleep meds recently . . . possibly in the

courtroom? or in their publications? When I started

taking sleep meds, the doctors didn't blink when I

told them I was taking them. More recently all but my

last doctor have objected to them. (Because of

insurance changes and moving, there have been a number

of them in the past couple years.)

I took an excellent paper on fibromyalgia with me when

I had my initial appointment with my most recent

doctor. It discussed FM's connection with a sleep

disorder and the need to assure adequate deep sleep.

She was fully informed already and agreed that I

needed to take sleep meds.

Rogene

--- Heer <idagirl@...> wrote:

> AHA so it is the trazedone that has likely been

> causing my anxiety, I don't like it at all either,

> blah makes me crazy and only get about 5 hours sleep

> off it anyhow. I also was getting stomach aches from

> it.

>

> I think the ambien works great but unfortunately it

> also is so addicting, and these Dr's don't like to