RemedySpot.com

Cow Dairy Layout

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi from NC, Y'all ...

The farmer from whom I purchase cowshares who sells pet milk (in NC

raw dairy for humans is illegal) is experiencing growth pains and he

seems to be more of a farmer and activist than businessman and needs

a little help to figure out how to solve the good problem he's having.

Can any of you direct me to information on how to set up a small cow

dairy? Or can any of you say what is working well for you? He

currently has 9 cows and would like to have 10. Right now all the

milking is done by hand ... and it's a family business ... twice a

day. The milk is also cooled by hand in glass jars in ice water in

Extreme coolers, and then packed in ice for delivery day in

customers' coolers.

The issues are that he and his family are having to handle steps in

their process several times, and the entire process is very manual.

They would be helped greatly if they could somehow improve their

cooling and storage process, and maybe speed their milking process a

little. And visibility needs to remain low.

Thanks,

Barbara

I highly recommend the walk through parlor. We paid for the stalls from Zimmerman and erected it ourselves. The stalls were around $1000 each. The back-breaking bending over and milking by hand in a flat barn is very difficult and hard to properly clean and care for the cow's utters. A simple one machine (surge or delaval) milker could be implemented at the one stall and directly pipe into a small cooling vat (bulk tank). From there they could cool the milk. Let it separate and sell the cream of the top (take some off to sell as cream) and mix the rest and let it rise naturally to the tops of each bottled jar. Enclosed is a picture of my father and I with our milking parlor. We milk around fifty holstein. Hopefully this helps but I know change is hard and especially when it requires a little capital. Betseyhandyvandy83 wrote: Hi from NC, Y'all ...The farmer from whom I purchase cowshares who sells pet milk (in NC raw dairy for humans is illegal) is experiencing growth pains and he seems to be more of a farmer and activist than businessman and needs a little help to figure out how to solve the good problem he's having.Can any of you direct me to information on how to set up a small cow dairy? Or can any of you say what is working well for you? He currently has 9 cows and would like to have 10. Right now all the milking is done by hand ... and it's a family business ... twice a day. The milk is also cooled by hand in glass jars in ice

water in Extreme coolers, and then packed in ice for delivery day in customers' coolers.The issues are that he and his family are having to handle steps in their process several times, and the entire process is very manual. They would be helped greatly if they could somehow improve their cooling and storage process, and maybe speed their milking process a little. And visibility needs to remain low.Thanks,Barbara

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.