RemedySpot.com

Re: Support your local Farmer and THANK YOU

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have to say that this is what frightens me about Raw Dairy. I do not believe this is something just anyone should pick up and do and then pass out to their neighbors unless they really know what they are doing. This is how Raw Milk ends up giving those hard working small farmers a bad rap. Then of course there is the press and we all know what they do with info like that. I agree, I would like to see the availability of raw milk increase, but only at the hands of experienced Organic farmers who rotationally graze their cows. Just one persons opinion on the "idea" not on any "individual".

a

Support your local Farmer and THANK YOU

I know this was a tongue in cheek comment, but I truly do tell people this, and not because they are complaining about prices, but because we NEED more small producers.

In the last year, I have had 3 share owners get their own cows, and 2 are starting to supply neighbors!

So cool!

And the good news:

Farm Bureau Insurance left a message yesterday, 3 weeks after the fire, that they will be covering the structure. No other commitment, but a start! Could not reach anyone for clarification, but that is the FIRST commitment they have made to cover anything so far. Also, got a letter from the adjuster on Tuesday that we can start clean up. Lots of work ahead on inventorying and cleaning up.

I want to thank everyone that has kept us in prayer, and offered financial support and other help. I was so close to just going “townhouse”. (when things get real horrid, that is our term for abandoning this life)

Every time I would get a completely overwhelming moment, someone would come through with a resource to bring me back up.

We now have a 10 x 16 run in shed to milk under, a new-used vacuum pump and motor, and buckets, enough hoses (ours were ruined) to be able to get water to most of the animals, a chicken house so that the surviving chicken are not crawling on top us when we milk, and a tractor trailer trailer for dry storage. This is such an outpouring of support that I am so amazed. Farmers, in you time of discouragement, I can tell you there is community out there that DOES care. My husband is starting to feel better, after a month of severe illness starting the weekend before the fire, and has gone back to work, slowly, this week, and light is shining at the end of the tunnel.

It is going to be a long haul, much of what we can never recover. As a self-professed book-a-holic, who has raised a houseful of the same, we have lost over my lifetime worth of books. (I inherited a lot of my grandparent’s library, as well as a lot of my parent’s when they sold their house 2 years ago and are living in an RV) Missouri Ruralist magazines from the 30’s up, Original hard backed signed set of Little House books. Clothes and Dan River mills material. My first bible, leather bound King red letter . My mother’s and oldest daughter’s wedding dresses. My quilting frame and tops that I had made for my children to be quitted when they got married. Almost all our homeschooling resources, and my midwifery books and stuff. (One of my daughters has my pelvis, though, so that was saved) And considerably more that is irreplaceable.

But we have found a great blessing in all YOUR prayers and help. We have been running on empty, but continue to be supplied with what is needed at the time it is needed.

www.Majesty Farm.com

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

-Margaret Mead

From: RawDairy [mailto:RawDairy ] On Behalf Of jen van peltSent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:16 AMTo: RawDairy Subject: Re:Support your local Farmer

Wow. Im getting prickly now too. I like to tell peoplewho complain about the price. Oh, no problem Ill haveplenty of extra kids in the spring, and I love to helppeople start up their own small dairy. Please give mea call and I'll freely consult your project. Thatswonderfull. Im so glad to support small farmers.UUURRRRGGGG!!!!!! Please!!!! I need not saymore!!Peace. Jen__________________________________________________________Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

I absolutely

disagree with you there. ANYONE is capable, with support and education, of

learning to handle and produce raw milk.

This is not rocket

science. This is basic food production. Very few people will come into this

without a commitment, simply because it IS a big commitment and requires

diligence and constant attention.

What I fear is the

attitude that we CANNOT do, we must leave it to the “experts” or

such, and the acceptance of an illusion of security that really does not exist.

Can you support

your statement “This is how Raw Milk ends up

giving those hard working small farmers a bad rap.”

How Raw Milk turns

bad is not through the backyard cow.

www.Majesty Farm.com

" Never doubt that a small group of

thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the

only thing that ever has. "

-Margaret Mead

From: RawDairy [mailto:RawDairy ] On Behalf Of TealCamaroGirl

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008

7:58 AM

To: RawDairy

Subject: Re: Support

your local Farmer and THANK YOU

I have to say that this is what

frightens me about Raw Dairy. I do not believe this is something just

anyone should pick up and do and then pass out to their neighbors unless they

really know what they are doing. This is how Raw Milk ends up

giving those hard working small farmers a bad rap. Then of course there is the

press and we all know what they do with info like that. I agree, I

would like to see the availability of raw milk increase, but only at the hands

of experienced Organic farmers who rotationally graze their cows. Just

one persons opinion on the " idea " not on any " individual " .

a

Re:Support

your local Farmer

Wow. Im getting prickly now too. I like to tell people

who complain about the price. Oh, no problem Ill have

plenty of extra kids in the spring, and I love to help

people start up their own small dairy. Please give me

a call and I'll freely consult your project. Thats

wonderfull. Im so glad to support small farmers.

UUURRRRGGGG!!!!!! Please!!!! I need not say

more!!Peace. Jen

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

I agree, they need the education just like you said. Training, research, learning, ect, but to just pop off and start up a dairy with no experience? That is going to cause the experienced farmer to catch heat when some backyard neighbor mishandled something and made people sick. The fact that it is raw, makes it more difficult, it must be clean. We can't just kill everything through pasteurization after the fact like the big folks do. Again, just my own personal opinion and is not directed at any one.

a

Support your local Farmer and THANK YOU

I know this was a tongue in cheek comment, but I truly do tell people this, and not because they are complaining about prices, but because we NEED more small producers.

In the last year, I have had 3 share owners get their own cows, and 2 are starting to supply neighbors!

So cool!

And the good news:

Farm Bureau Insurance left a message yesterday, 3 weeks after the fire, that they will be covering the structure. No other commitment, but a start! Could not reach anyone for clarification, but that is the FIRST commitment they have made to cover anything so far. Also, got a letter from the adjuster on Tuesday that we can start clean up. Lots of work ahead on inventorying and cleaning up.

I want to thank everyone that has kept us in prayer, and offered financial support and other help. I was so close to just going “townhouse”. (when things get real horrid, that is our term for abandoning this life)

Every time I would get a completely overwhelming moment, someone would come through with a resource to bring me back up.

We now have a 10 x 16 run in shed to milk under, a new-used vacuum pump and motor, and buckets, enough hoses (ours were ruined) to be able to get water to most of the animals, a chicken house so that the surviving chicken are not crawling on top us when we milk, and a tractor trailer trailer for dry storage. This is such an outpouring of support that I am so amazed. Farmers, in you time of discouragement, I can tell you there is community out there that DOES care. My husband is starting to feel better, after a month of severe illness starting the weekend before the fire, and has gone back to work, slowly, this week, and light is shining at the end of the tunnel.

It is going to be a long haul, much of what we can never recover. As a self-professed book-a-holic, who has raised a houseful of the same, we have lost over my lifetime worth of books. (I inherited a lot of my grandparent’s library, as well as a lot of my parent’s when they sold their house 2 years ago and are living in an RV) Missouri Ruralist magazines from the 30’s up, Original hard backed signed set of Little House books. Clothes and Dan River mills material. My first bible, leather bound King red letter . My mother’s and oldest daughter’s wedding dresses. My quilting frame and tops that I had made for my children to be quitted when they got married. Almost all our homeschooling resources, and my midwifery books and stuff. (One of my daughters has my pelvis, though, so that was saved) And considerably more that is irreplaceable.

But we have found a great blessing in all YOUR prayers and help. We have been running on empty, but continue to be supplied with what is needed at the time it is needed.

www.Majesty Farm.com

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

-Margaret Mead

From: RawDairy [mailto:RawDairy ] On Behalf Of jen van peltSent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 2:16 AMTo: RawDairy Subject: Re:Support your local Farmer

Wow. Im getting prickly now too. I like to tell peoplewho complain about the price. Oh, no problem Ill haveplenty of extra kids in the spring, and I love to helppeople start up their own small dairy. Please give mea call and I'll freely consult your project. Thatswonderfull. Im so glad to support small farmers.UUURRRRGGGG!!!!!! Please!!!! I need not saymore!!Peace. Jen__________________________________________________________Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

I started a dairy with no experience and never kill anyone or made anyone sick. I sold raw milk for many years before I became licensed. Even when raw milk is mishandled it is still very safe and I would trust it more than the stuff from the store. I recently milked for a friend while she was away for Christmas. It was a goat and not giving very much milk. I said I would milk but I was not going to do much more than that. I did milk clean but the goat didn't know me and just about sat in the bucket the first day. I didn't strain the milk just put it in a jar. She forgot when she came home and drank the milk. Even her kids drank it. No one got sick or even a little quzzie. Raw milk is really very safe. Everyone has to start someplace. Now after more than 15 years of milking I do a lot more than when I first started just to satisfied the state. My husband drank raw milk all through his chemo and I think it saved his life. Even then I didn't do as much as the state requires me to do now. At least I know what has been done to my milk and where it comes from. I can't say that about anything I get from the grocery store.

Chris

I agree, they need the education just like you said. Training, research, learning, ect, but to just pop off and start up a dairy with no experience? That is going to cause the experienced farmer to catch heat when some backyard neighbor mishandled something and made people sick. The fact that it is raw, makes it more difficult, it must be clean. We can't just kill everything through pasteurization after the fact like the big folks do. Again, just my own personal opinion and is not directed at any one.

a

I've got to put in my 2 cents here. Twelve years ago the only goats

I'd ever seen were in petting zoos.

Got a job working with a woman with goats. Learned to milk and now

have my own little herd of dairy and meat goats. Nobody got sick along

the way. Nobody gave me any " lessons " . I didn't do any great amount of

research. I just bought some goats from a fella who seemed awful nice

who milked his goats and the goats seemed healthy and away we went.

The idea that a body has to have experience doing something before

they can do it is insane. My first loaf of bread was made with a

cookbook and a good deal of cussing and laughing. There wasn't a

teacher around....

I firmly believe that a backyard cow, loved and cared for by a family

who drinks the milk, is going to produce better milk than any large dairy.

Belinda

>

> I agree, they need the education just like you said. Training,

research, learning, ect, but to just pop off and start up a dairy with

no experience? That is going to cause the experienced farmer to catch

heat when some backyard neighbor mishandled something and made people

sick. The fact that it is raw, makes it more difficult, it must be

clean. We can't just kill everything through pasteurization after the

fact like the big folks do. Again, just my own personal opinion and

is not directed at any one.

>

> a

>

>

> Re:Support your local Farmer

>

> Wow. Im getting prickly now too. I like to tell people

> who complain about the price. Oh, no problem Ill have

> plenty of extra kids in the spring, and I love to help

> people start up their own small dairy. Please give me

> a call and I'll freely consult your project. Thats

> wonderfull. Im so glad to support small farmers.

> UUURRRRGGGG!!!!!! Please!!!! I need not say

> more!!Peace. Jen

>

> __________________________________________________________

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

>

I agree with you 100%. In fact, I would have my own dairy/farm sprinkled with some chickens if I had the land, however, I am the type of person that will tackle just about anything, but that particular venture I would do research on since I like to be prepared for what could arise so I wasn't scrambling when I had a sick cow or something. However, selling the milk to other people, I would probably do like the other lady and go above and beyond more so than I would had I just been supplying my family. More than likely though, I wouldn't sell it at all in the beginning, and may never anyways.

a

I started a dairy with no experience and never kill anyone or made anyone sick. I sold raw milk for many years before I became licensed. Even when raw milk is mishandled it is still very safe and I would trust it more than the stuff from the store. I recently milked for a friend while she was away for Christmas. It was a goat and not giving very much milk. I said I would milk but I was not going to do much more than that. I did milk clean but the goat didn't know me and just about sat in the bucket the first day. I didn't strain the milk just put it in a jar. She forgot when she came home and drank the milk. Even her kids drank it. No one got sick or even a little quzzie. Raw milk is really very safe. Everyone has to start someplace. Now after more than 15 years of milking I do a lot more than when I first started just to satisfied the state. My husband drank raw milk all through his chemo and I think it saved his life. Even then I didn't do as much as the state requires me to do now. At least I know what has been done to my milk and where it comes from. I can't say that about anything I get from the grocery store.

Chris

a

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now!

I agree with you 100%. In fact, I would have my own dairy/farm sprinkled with some chickens if I had the land, however, I am the type of person that will tackle just about anything, but that particular venture I would do research on since I like to be prepared for what could arise so I wasn't scrambling when I had a sick cow or something. However, selling the milk to other people, I would probably do like the other lady and go above and beyond more so than I would had I just been supplying my family. More than likely though, I wouldn't sell it at all in the beginning, and may never anyways.

a

Chris

a

a

Chris

a