RemedySpot.com

Re: three month visit with Dr. R...lab results

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

Bless your heart. I'm writing you privately just to offer some support and a virtual hug. I KNOW how it is to deal with brain fog... sometimes it's hard for me to make my way through HEB and get back home! I also know what it's like to see a new doc... even a good one... it seems like just such a long, long road.

I don't really know enough about labs to comment on yours, but it's good that you're taking the DHEA and Armour, etc.... they say that with dhea levels low you can feel pretty bad. Of course, we can feel pretty bad with any of our levels being low!

Anyway, hang in there and know that you're not alone, my dear!

JaydenStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

You will start feeling better when you get your ferritin up. This is a vast issue with many components, but ferritin is very important

Carol... what does a lack of ferritin do exactly? I don't remember anyone ever testing my ferritin when they tested my thyroid levels.

Just curious...

Thanks!

JaydenStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

It's hard. I know. It's very hard. We've been sick a long time. We want to get better faster than is possible. Just hang on. Try to take it a day at a time.

The trip to Lubbock used to put me in bed for a week. It gets better, I promise.

I've had really good results with the Solgar Gentle Iron. I take two a day. It's iron bisglycinate and very gentle on the stomach. I was very concerned about taking iron and possibly making the already shaky constipation issue worse. It says right on the front of the bottle. Non-constipating. And it's true. I have not had a problem with it. It also says: suitable for vegetarians, sugar, salt and starch free. On the back, in tiny print, it says: free of corn, yeast, wheat, soy and dairy products and are formulated without the use of preservatives, artificial flavors or colors.

I get mine at Whole Foods, but I'm sure it could be ordered online. It's a couple of dollars more than some other brands, but, hey, I'll pay a couple of dollars to avoid constipation.

My ferritin went up very acceptably with it. I also bought the Bluebonnet brand once when they were out of my Solgar. It was equally good.

You will start feeling better when you get your ferritin up. This is a vast issue with many components, but ferritin is very important.

Carol

>> Flying to Lubbock alone took a lot out of me. My brain fog was so bad> yesterday (all the stress left over from the holidays) and my anxiety was up> so not the best day for me. But, I made it. Dr. R spent about an hour with> me. He never once made me feel rushed. Here are my lab results with the> results from last September in parenthesis:> > Magnesium 1.8 range 1.3-2.3 (1.9)> total Iron 44 range 35-145 (57)> Iron percent saturation 14% range 20%-50% (18%)> ferritin 29 range 10-220 (37)> TSH 2.3 (2.6)> Free T4 0.95 range 0.73-1.95 (0.97)> Free T3 280 or 22.7% range 230-420 (300 or 23.6%)> Testosterone 0.29 range 0.14-0.76 (0.38)> DHEA 780 range 2000-3000 (570)> Progesterone 0.6 range 1.4-28 (0.7)> > I am on 1/2 grain armour, 100 mg progesterone and 10 mg dhea daily. As you> can see Free T3 barely went up, DHEA barely went up and ferritin, iron % and> progesterone went down which most likely means my body is converting the> hormone supplements into estrogen.> > I am to work my way up to 1 grain armour, 120 mg progesterone and 13 mg dhea> and see him again in six months. I am also going to add in some more iron> (until I get constipated) and increase my magnesium as needed.> > Any advice? I was pretty down after this visit but know this is a long> road. It's just when you travel so far you expect too much (kind of like> when I did infertility treatments...you spend so much time and $$ and don't> get pregnant...disappointing).> > > > -- > Cauley> Home > Cell >

I also have no problems with the Solgar Gentle Iron - I've also been taking 2 a day. Hopefully it's working some. I've been on it for 4 months now I think. I know it takes a long time but I'm curious to see what my levels might be now. Hopefully they've increased some. They were 18 a year ago.

I have my follow up with Dr Owens tomorrow morning so I plan to have her run the iron tests again just to see. JulOn 1/9/08, carol77096 <cmcgreer1@...

> wrote:

I've had really good results with the Solgar Gentle Iron. I take two a day. It's iron bisglycinate and very gentle on the stomach.

If your ferritin gets too low, you can become anemic. If you are really anemic or close to it your energy levels are very low. That's how I feel now....tired and unmotivated. But, better than I was a year ago.

I think your ob should check this every year. I would be suprised if your thyroid doc did not check this.

You will start feeling better when you get your ferritin up. This is a vast issue with many components, but ferritin is very important

Carol... what does a lack of ferritin do exactly? I don't remember anyone ever testing my ferritin when they tested my thyroid levels.

Just curious...

Thanks!

Jayden

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape

in the new year. -- CauleyHome Cell

Ferritin is not routinely tested. It's a separate test that may have to be requested.

It is possible to have 'normal' iron levels and still have low ferritin.

Low ferritin can contribute to hypo like symptoms, fatigue for sure, possibly heart pounding, air hunger, depression, lots of things.

Vitamin C helps the absorption of Iron, but Iron shouldn't be supplemented without confirming low ferritin by testing. The test range is very broad. It would be easy to have a low normal ferritin and still feel bad.

Carol

>> > > > You will start feeling better when you get your ferritin up. This is a vast > issue with many components, but ferritin is very important> > > Carol... what does a lack of ferritin do exactly? I don't remember anyone > ever testing my ferritin when they tested my thyroid levels.> Just curious...> Thanks!> Jayden> > > > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>

It's your blood stores.

Kate G

At 05:29 PM 1/9/2008, you wrote:

>Ferritin is not routinely tested. It's a separate test that may have to

>be requested.

>

>It is possible to have 'normal' iron levels and still have low ferritin.

>

>Low ferritin can contribute to hypo like symptoms, fatigue for sure,

>possibly heart pounding, air hunger, depression, lots of things.

>

>Vitamin C helps the absorption of Iron, but Iron shouldn't be supplemented

>without confirming low ferritin by testing. The test range is very

>broad. It would be easy to have a low normal ferritin and still feel bad.

>

>Carol

>

>

>

> >

> >

> > In a message dated 1/9/2008 3:00:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,

> > cmcgreer1@... writes:

> >

> > You will start feeling better when you get your ferritin up. This is a

> vast

> > issue with many components, but ferritin is very important

> >

> >

> > Carol... what does a lack of ferritin do exactly? I don't remember anyone

> > ever testing my ferritin when they tested my thyroid levels.

> > Just curious...

> > Thanks!

> > Jayden

> >

> >

> >

> > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.

> > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

> >

>

>No virus found in this incoming message.

>Checked by AVG Free Edition.

>Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1216 - Release Date: 1/9/2008

>10:16 AM

I'm not in agreement with your finding on that Free T3. It looks more to me, from the results provided, that you went down instead of up, though it is puzzling that the # is lower, yet the percentage has it higher. Duh? It is lower, not higher, and so is every single hormone you have tested, except for the DHEA. Also iron being down is a big no-no, as far as I'm concerned, as in why would estrogen make your ferritin go down? Did I miss some information somewhere, I've never heard of this? Why are you not taking iron? At least it isn't included in your list of stuff here that you are taking, except that you are saying that you are going to add some. There are some forms of iron that don't constipate, mentioned by other members here.

three month visit with Dr. R...lab results

Flying to Lubbock alone took a lot out of me. My brain fog was so bad yesterday (all the stress left over from the holidays) and my anxiety was up so not the best day for me. But, I made it. Dr. R spent about an hour with me. He never once made me feel rushed. Here are my lab results with the results from last September in parenthesis:

Magnesium 1.8 range 1.3-2.3 (1.9)

total Iron 44 range 35-145 (57)

Iron percent saturation 14% range 20%-50% (18%)

ferritin 29 range 10-220 (37)

TSH 2.3 (2.6)

Free T4 0.95 range 0.73-1.95 (0.97)

Free T3 280 or 22.7% range 230-420 (300 or 23.6%)

Testosterone 0.29 range 0.14-0.76 (0.38)

DHEA 780 range 2000-3000 (570)

Progesterone 0.6 range 1.4-28 (0.7)

I am on 1/2 grain armour, 100 mg progesterone and 10 mg dhea daily. As you can see Free T3 barely went up, DHEA barely went up and ferritin, iron % and progesterone went down which most likely means my body is converting the hormone supplements into estrogen.

I am to work my way up to 1 grain armour, 120 mg progesterone and 13 mg dhea and see him again in six months. I am also going to add in some more iron (until I get constipated) and increase my magnesium as needed.

Any advice? I was pretty down after this visit but know this is a long road. It's just when you travel so far you expect too much (kind of like when I did infertility treatments...you spend so much time and $$ and don't get pregnant...disappointing).

Do you guys take both at the same time? I need to up my dose but am a

little worried about taking two caps at the same time.

Marti

> I also have no problems with the Solgar Gentle Iron - I've also been

> taking 2 a day.  Hopefully it's working some.  I've been on it for 4

> months now I think.  I know it takes a long time but I'm curious to

> see what my levels might be now.  Hopefully they've increased some. 

> They were 18 a year ago.

>

> I have my follow up with Dr Owens tomorrow morning so I plan to have

> her run the iron tests again just to see.

>

> Jul

>

>

>> I've had really good results with the Solgar Gentle Iron.  I take two

>> a day.  It's iron bisglycinate and very gentle on the stomach. 

Yes, Marti, I do take two at the same time. Always have. No problem. I swallow my Armour instead of sublingual and would have trouble finding enough time in the day to take the Iron at least 4 hours away from my two Armour doses. I take my vitamins, Iron, etc. right after dinner.

Carol

> >> I've had really good results with the Solgar Gentle Iron. I take two > >> a day. It's iron bisglycinate and very gentle on the stomach. >

Like Carol, I take both of mine at the same time. I take them at night.

Jul

> Do you guys take both at the same time? I need to up my dose but am a

> little worried about taking two caps at the same time.

>

> Marti

>

Your're right, the free T3 did go down. See, that's the brain fog working. Estrogen dominance does not affect iron, only progesterone, dhea and testosterone.

I do take iron, a lot of iron. That is why it is so puzzling that it went down. The only thing that dr. R can think of is that I have a lot of problems with acid reflux and irritation in my esophagus so my body may not be absorbing the iron or there may be gi bleeding. I already take prevacid but am going to add in either pepcid or prilosec.

I'm not in agreement with your finding on that Free T3. It looks more to me, from the results provided, that you went down instead of up, though it is puzzling that the # is lower, yet the percentage has it higher. Duh? It is lower, not higher, and so is every single hormone you have tested, except for the DHEA. Also iron being down is a big no-no, as far as I'm concerned, as in why would estrogen make your ferritin go down? Did I miss some information somewhere, I've never heard of this? Why are you not taking iron? At least it isn't included in your list of stuff here that you are taking, except that you are saying that you are going to add some. There are some forms of iron that don't constipate, mentioned by other members here.

three month visit with Dr. R...lab results

Flying to Lubbock alone took a lot out of me. My brain fog was so bad yesterday (all the stress left over from the holidays) and my anxiety was up so not the best day for me. But, I made it. Dr. R spent about an hour with me. He never once made me feel rushed. Here are my lab results with the results from last September in parenthesis:

Magnesium 1.8 range 1.3-2.3 (1.9)

total Iron 44 range 35-145 (57)

Iron percent saturation 14% range 20%-50% (18%)

ferritin 29 range 10-220 (37)

TSH 2.3 (2.6)

Free T4 0.95 range 0.73-1.95 (0.97)

Free T3 280 or 22.7% range 230-420 (300 or 23.6%)

Testosterone 0.29 range 0.14-0.76 (0.38)

DHEA 780 range 2000-3000 (570)

Progesterone 0.6 range 1.4-28 (0.7)

I am on 1/2 grain armour, 100 mg progesterone and 10 mg dhea daily. As you can see Free T3 barely went up, DHEA barely went up and ferritin, iron % and progesterone went down which most likely means my body is converting the hormone supplements into estrogen.

I am to work my way up to 1 grain armour, 120 mg progesterone and 13 mg dhea and see him again in six months. I am also going to add in some more iron (until I get constipated) and increase my magnesium as needed.

Any advice? I was pretty down after this visit but know this is a long road. It's just when you travel so far you expect too much (kind of like when I did infertility treatments...you spend so much time and $$ and don't get pregnant...disappointing).

-- CauleyHome Cell

The prevacid will interfere with absorption of iron among other things.

> > > I'm not in agreement with your finding on that Free T3. It looks more to> > me, from the results provided, that you went down instead of up, though it> > is puzzling that the # is lower, yet the percentage has it higher. Duh? It> > is lower, not higher, and so is every single hormone you have tested, except> > for the DHEA. Also iron being down is a big no-no, as far as I'm concerned,> > as in why would estrogen make your ferritin go down? Did I miss some> > information somewhere, I've never heard of this? Why are you not taking> > iron? At least it isn't included in your list of stuff here that you are> > taking, except that you are saying that you are going to add some. There> > are some forms of iron that don't constipate, mentioned by other members> > here.> >> > > >> >> > * three month visit with Dr. R...lab> > results> >> > Flying to Lubbock alone took a lot out of me. My brain fog was so bad> > yesterday (all the stress left over from the holidays) and my anxiety was up> > so not the best day for me. But, I made it. Dr. R spent about an hour with> > me. He never once made me feel rushed. Here are my lab results with the> > results from last September in parenthesis:> >> > Magnesium 1.8 range 1.3-2.3 (1.9)> > total Iron 44 range 35-145 (57)> > Iron percent saturation 14% range 20%-50% (18%)> > ferritin 29 range 10-220 (37)> > TSH 2.3 (2.6)> > Free T4 0.95 range 0.73-1.95 (0.97)> > Free T3 280 or 22.7% range 230-420 (300 or 23.6%)> > Testosterone 0.29 range 0.14-0.76 (0.38)> > DHEA 780 range 2000-3000 (570)> > Progesterone 0.6 range 1.4-28 (0.7)> >> > I am on 1/2 grain armour, 100 mg progesterone and 10 mg dhea daily.> > As you can see Free T3 barely went up, DHEA barely went up and ferritin,> > iron % and progesterone went down which most likely means my body is> > converting the hormone supplements into estrogen.> >> > I am to work my way up to 1 grain armour, 120 mg progesterone and 13 mg> > dhea and see him again in six months. I am also going to add in some more> > iron (until I get constipated) and increase my magnesium as needed.> >> > Any advice? I was pretty down after this visit but know this is a long> > road. It's just when you travel so far you expect too much (kind of like> > when I did infertility treatments...you spend so much time and $$ and don't> > get pregnant...disappointing).> >> > >

Jan,

What do you do for a living? Just wondering if you are a

professional researcher.

Texas_Thyroid_Groups [mailto:Texas_Thyroid_Groups ]

On Behalf Of Jan

Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008

9:47 PM

To:

Texas_Thyroid_Groups

Subject:

The prevacid will interfere

with absorption of iron among other things.

>

> > I'm not in agreement with your finding on that Free T3. It looks more

to

> > me, from the results provided, that you went down instead of up,

though it

> > is puzzling that the # is lower, yet the percentage has it higher.

Duh? It

> > is lower, not higher, and so is every single hormone you have tested,

except

> > for the DHEA. Also iron being down is a big no-no, as far as I'm

concerned,

> > as in why would estrogen make your ferritin go down? Did I miss some

> > information somewhere, I've never heard of this? Why are you not

taking

> > iron? At least it isn't included in your list of stuff here that you

are

> > taking, except that you are saying that you are going to add some.

There

> > are some forms of iron that don't constipate, mentioned by other

members

> > here.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > * three month visit with Dr.

R...lab

> > results

> >

> > Flying to Lubbock

alone took a lot out of me. My brain fog was so bad

> > yesterday (all the stress left over from the holidays) and my anxiety

was up

> > so not the best day for me. But, I made it. Dr. R spent about an hour

with

> > me. He never once made me feel rushed. Here are my lab results with

the

> > results from last September in parenthesis:

> >

> > Magnesium 1.8 range 1.3-2.3 (1.9)

> > total Iron 44 range 35-145 (57)

> > Iron percent saturation 14% range 20%-50% (18%)

> > ferritin 29 range 10-220 (37)

> > TSH 2.3 (2.6)

> > Free T4 0.95 range 0.73-1.95 (0.97)

> > Free T3 280 or 22.7% range 230-420 (300 or 23.6%)

> > Testosterone 0.29 range 0.14-0.76 (0.38)

> > DHEA 780 range 2000-3000 (570)

> > Progesterone 0.6 range 1.4-28 (0.7)

> >

> > I am on 1/2 grain armour, 100 mg progesterone and 10 mg dhea daily.

> > As you can see Free T3 barely went up, DHEA barely went up and

ferritin,

> > iron % and progesterone went down which most likely means my body is

> > converting the hormone supplements into estrogen.

> >

> > I am to work my way up to 1 grain armour, 120 mg progesterone and 13

mg

> > dhea and see him again in six months. I am also going to add in some

more

> > iron (until I get constipated) and increase my magnesium as needed.

> >

> > Any advice? I was pretty down after this visit but know this is a

long

> > road. It's just when you travel so far you expect too much (kind of

> > when I did infertility treatments...you spend so much time and

$$ and don't

> > get pregnant...disappointing).

> >

> > >

I was a professional symphony musician for 36 years. I took early retirement for health reasons. I almost went to medical school at one point, but decided that I did not want that much responsibility.

I also make and sell costume jewelry.

>> Jan, > What do you do for a living? Just wondering if you are a professional> researcher. > >

I see.

I attempted to play the viola and stopped when I was tone deaf.

Do you make anything with hearts on it?

Texas_Thyroid_Groups [mailto:Texas_Thyroid_Groups ]

On Behalf Of Jan

Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008

10:14 PM

To:

Texas_Thyroid_Groups

Subject:

I was a professional symphony

musician for 36 years. I took early retirement for health reasons. I almost

went to medical school at one point, but decided that I did not want that much

responsibility.

I also make and sell costume

jewelry.

>

> Jan,

> What do you do for a living? Just wondering if you are a professional

> researcher.

>

>

I mainly make earrings with beads, and I do have some heart shaped beads.

Do you know the difference between a viola and a lawnmower?

The lawnmower vibrates.

Whut is the difference between a viola and a trampoline?

You take off your shoes before you jump on a trampoline.

Do you know the difference between a viola and an onion?

You cry when you chop up an onion.

Whut is the difference between a violist and a prostitute?

The prostitute knows more than one position.

> >> > Jan, > > What do you do for a living? Just wondering if you are a professional> > researcher. > > > >

Pepsid AC and some others, over about a two yr period of time, is exactly how I got a folic acid deficiency. I know that I've read and heard from some other members here that slow digestion (still hypo) causes the acid reflux, simply because the food won't move out of and through the digestive tract quick enough. Therefore, the acid just keeps churning away at the stomach and esophagus, trying to get it digested to a state where it will. Then there's the other scenario, where there is not enough stomach acid being produced at one time. I personally think that mine was the former, but I have no proof of that. This is one of the ways that I know that I'm getting hypo again, as in slow digestion and heart burn. And you said that you do take your iron well away from your thyroid hormone, right? Have you had a scope done on your esophagus and stomach or other?

Your're right, the free T3 did go down. See, that's the brain fog working. Estrogen dominance does not affect iron, only progesterone, dhea and testosterone.

I do take iron, a lot of iron. That is why it is so puzzling that it went down. The only thing that dr. R can think of is that I have a lot of problems with acid reflux and irritation in my esophagus so my body may not be absorbing the iron or there may be gi bleeding. I already take prevacid but am going to add in either pepcid or prilosec.

I do take my iron away from my armour...minimum of four hours. I have had a scope done, which is how I know about the esophageal irritation. Thanks for the info. I might just need to pop a prevacid in the middle of the night as I always get up to go to the bathroom. May start doing the prevacid then, too.

Pepsid AC and some others, over about a two yr period of time, is exactly how I got a folic acid deficiency. I know that I've read and heard from some other members here that slow digestion (still hypo) causes the acid reflux, simply because the food won't move out of and through the digestive tract quick enough. Therefore, the acid just keeps churning away at the stomach and esophagus, trying to get it digested to a state where it will. Then there's the other scenario, where there is not enough stomach acid being produced at one time. I personally think that mine was the former, but I have no proof of that. This is one of the ways that I know that I'm getting hypo again, as in slow digestion and heart burn. And you said that you do take your iron well away from your thyroid hormone, right? Have you had a scope done on your esophagus and stomach or other?

-- CauleyHome Cell