RemedySpot.com

Wow, you would think dentists would want you to get the work done, and would tell you right away if they suspected something like that, and refer you to someone who would do the work. To: [email]asthma [/email] Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:5

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Wow, you would think dentists would want you to get the work done, and would tell you right away if they suspected something like that, and refer you to someone who would do the work. To: asthma Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:53 PM Subject: Re: Root canals...

--- At 05:59 AM 06 03 2012, njmom1boy wrote:

>

>For those of you with Adult Onset Asthma, just wondering how many of you have root canaled teeth? I have three root canaled teeth myself. And no, I would never say this could be a cause of asthma. I am convinced that with all asthma the genetic predisposition must be there. But I do wonder about the theory that root canals can challenge the immune system in people with auto-immune conditions.

>

Root canaled teeth won't cause anything, it's the bacteria living inside them (together with synergistic fungii, etc.) that will often start a different problem.

That problem is the "periapical abscess" (osteomyelitis, bone infection) that becomes established in the jawbone around the root-canaled root(s).

But whether that eventually results in asthma, or not, it can also lead to endocarditis (heart infection) and kidney infection, and/or sever sinusitis.

If it causes severe sinusitis, that will be draining stuff into the lungs, and the lungs will suffer, even if it doesn't technically "cause asthma" -- it would surely make existing asthma much worse.

But this "might not" happen, you can just wait and see -- sort of like Russian roulette.

The only way to know if you already do have a periapical abscess in the jawbone is to get low-radiation "digital x-ray images" which clearly reveal jawbone infection -- not the high-radiation "film x-ray images" like most dentists still use. (Your dentist can give you a prescription for digital x-rays at a nearby radiology laboratory.)

Note that extraction of a root-canalled tooth which does have a periapical abscess will not fix the infection in the jawbone; that will require surgery to clean it out or the jawbone infection could easily become chronic, with no visible sign once the gums heal after the tooth extraction.

I've been through all this as a patient, so be careful -- most dentists cannot handle this work, and they'll neither tell you about it, nor help you if you do need help.

Bill