RemedySpot.com

Well, from my experience, I do not take any inhaled meds, or my nasal spray until I have some food in my stomach, I have noticed that if I take those meds before I eat, they not only make my food tasteless, but, I get really sick to my stomach, just

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well, from my experience, I do not take any inhaled meds, or my nasal spray until I have some food in my stomach, I have noticed that if I take those meds before I eat, they not only make my food tasteless, but, I get really sick to my stomach, just one approach I use all of the time. I use my inhalers and any other meds after I eat my meal, the only thing I will take on an empty stomach is Prilosec, or my carafate. To:

asthma Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:03 AM Subject: Re: Slats

Hi, I have checked out some of the medication we use as the names can be different depending on where we live.

So,

What is Symbicort? Symbicort contains a combination of budesonide and formoterol. Budesonide is a steroid that reduces inflammation in the body. Formoterol is a bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways to improve breathing. Symbicort is used to prevent bronchospasm in people with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

I think I have had this before but suffered reactions.

What is Advair?

Advair contains fluticasone and salmeterol. Fluticasone is a steroid. Advair prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation. Salmeterol is a bronchodilator. It works by relaxing muscles in the airways to improve breathing. Advair is used to prevent asthma attacks. It is also used to prevent flare-ups or worsening of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) associated with chronic bronchitis and/or emphysemaI have used Seretide before, this is the same as Advair I think. I became worried over the health risks that came to light regarding Salmeterol.

What Seretide is and what it is used for Seretide contains two medicines, salmeterol and fluticasone propionate: · Salmeterol is a long-acting bronchodilator. Bronchodilators help the airways in the lungs to stay open. This makes it easier for air to get in and out. The effects last for at least 12 hours. Fluticasone propionate is a corticosteroid which reduces swelling and irritation in the lungs.

So now I use Flixotide, which only contains Fluticasone. However this drug, even administered via inhaler seriously reacts with another drug I take, Itraconazole! So I think I need to investigate an alternative inhaler asap.

Finally, the Nasal spray I have used successfully for years is

Beclomethasone nasal. (Beconase)

Beclomethasone is a steroid. It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation. Beclomethasone nasal is used to treat nasal symptoms such as congestion, sneezing, and runny nose caused by seasonal or year-round allergies. Beclomethasone is also used to keep nasal polyps from coming back after surgery to remove them. Beclomethasone may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide

I hope that's helpful to you Slats, unfortunately it has raised a few concerns with me! I have severe asthma, bronchiectasis and the dreaded Aspergillosis! Along with hypertension, old age, good looks, lovely head of hair and Cushings Disease!

So some of our medication will differ anyway, some may not be cost effective in the UK and some my doc has probably never heard of! I will have a chat with a few people and see what alternative steroid inhaler I can come up with. As for the ipratropium, I have stopped that now, I only use it when really ill & /or hospitalised, but maybe I need to cross that one off my list. The list is getting smaller and smaller, not much works on me so I'll run out of options soon . . . . .

But many thanks for the info etc, always appreciated.

Cheers from Mike (Chip) Chapman

Cornwall. UK

Subject: Re: ipratropium bromideTo: asthma Date: Friday, 20 January, 2012, 19:57

Chip, was it you who mentioned a while back finding a nasal spray that worked for chronic runny nose? I'm having a worse than ever problem with that and already know neither Nasalcrom nor Nasocort does anything for it. I can't remember the name of the med that was mentioned as being effective, but I'm seeing my pulmo next week and would like to try it if I could get hold of the right name to ask for.Sorry I can't help with respect to ipratropium or Spiriva. I use Symbicort, which has both a long-acting bronchodilator and a corticosteroid. It's similar to Advair, which in your part of the woods has a different name, but it uses altogether different LABA and steroid from Symbicort . Have you ever tried a combination inhaler like these, or would the mucous still be a factor in your absorbing the med? Symbicort comes as a liquid metered dose which is propelled forcefully from a cannister and inhaled through the mouth. It is not a "rescue

inhaler".Slats> > > > Subject: Re:

Reflux, asthma or both? iptatroprium bromide> To: "asthma " <asthma >> Date: Friday, 20 January, 2012, 16:43> > > >  > > > > > > Madeline, what med are you using to replace the iptatroprium bromide? I hope you are feeling better. >  > I was on Combivent for about 6 months. >  > They kept trying to tell me I had relfux but none of the reflux meds really helped. I never had > reflux before I started

the iptatroprium bromide (I also used it in neb the duo neb mixture).> My doctors did not make the connection, I did thanks to this board! I stopped taking the > Combivent switched to the Spiriva on my own. >  > For some reason I am not having the stomach issues with the Spiriva. >  > My belching and bloating has stopped. I actually had attacks where my stomach would bloat, > I would burp, regurgitate, no be able to breath, my face, neck and chest would flush. >  > My stomach is slowly returning to normal I can eat almost everything I was able to before.>  > Although I think my migraine meds (midrin and fiorinol) make my stomach symptoms worse.>  > One thing I did notice when I was having stomach issues it seemed to worsen my breathing. >  > Lynne>  >  >

> > > > > > To: "asthma " <asthma > > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:39 PM> Subject: Re: Reflux, asthma or both?> > > > Â > > > Hi lady. Â Is he taking Atrovent (iptatroprium bromide) or Spiriva? Â Is he complaining of nausea or vomiting? Â While reflux can worsen asthma symptoms, another lesser looked at issue is gastroparesis. Â The only reason this comes to

mind is that I have recently been diagnosed with gastroparesis. Â Atrovent, Spiriva, and any other drug that works by relaxing smooth muscle walls can cause this. Â Belching is a common symptom of gastroparesis while it is not generally associated with GERD. Â Not wanting to cloud the issue, but it is a possible cause. Â > > > Madeline> > > > > > > To: asthma > Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:11 AM> Subject: Reflux, asthma or both?> > > > Â > > My nine year old has had a worsening of his asthma in the past two months. Started with a virus that

triggered a bad flare. Doctor started him on inhaled corticosteroids which seems to be helping some but not enough. He's having allergy testing in two weeks since it's been a long time since he's been tested. We'll see if anything new comes up. With the past several attacks during the night, he is burping a few times after the attack is over. Does this sound like reflux, or is he burping from overinflated lungs pressing on stomach? I have never had burping with asthma attacks myself. Of course, I will discuss this with his doctor too.>