RemedySpot.com

This is just my experience I have no proof . . . sometimes I felt with the bloating my stomach was pushing up into my lungs.It was very true about the breathing getting terrible when the bloating, burping, regurgitation, flushing of face, neck and c

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is just my experience I have no proof . . . sometimes I felt with the bloating my stomach was pushing up into my lungs.It was very true about the breathing getting terrible when the bloating, burping, regurgitation, flushing of face, neck and chest, slow digestion, feeling full all of the time. Not only that certain foods made me sicker (alcohol, spicey, additives, preservatives, acidic)I was at the drs when I had a breathing attack (couldn't breath, flushing I knew it was from my stomach), emergency inhalers were no good, they used an epi jr and I felt immediate relief. There were many times I was sure I was going to die, just kept getting sicker everyday. The attacks were terrible could not breath, er inhaler never

worked.Thanks to others on this board mentioning the problem I stopped Combivent Oct 2011 I am getting better everyday, my breathing has gotten much better (do take spiriva), stomach problems diminishing slowly, can eat almost anything again : ) Still have slow digestion (take digestion aid to help and more fiber) Vitamins or suppliments giving me a problem trying to narrow it down. My migraine meds (midrin, fiorinol) bring some of my stomach problems back. Chip, Is there anything you can take to instead of ipratropium nebuliser or tiotropium spivira?Lynne To: asthma Sent: Friday, January 20, 2012 1:29 PM Subject: Re: ipratropium bromide

Hi Lynne et al,

Regarding the ipratropium nebs, I have noticed lately during a very bad month that included two admissions into hospital, that my bloating and stomach discomfort had increased! I initially put it down to the high dose of prednisolone and the constant antibiotics, however reading your comments reminded me that I had heard that ipratropium can cause certain digestion problems.

I have been on ipratropium nebs constantly and in some quantity since the beginning of December, funny but that's when my bloating reappeared! So maybe I need to examine the need for ipratropium and weigh the benefits against the side effect?

As for tiotropium or Spivira, I used this for years until it appeared to become in affective. When I spoke to my GP about it, she suggested that some of us who produce lots of mucus, phlegm or sputum, what ever you wish to call the stuff, may have some difficulty in absorbing the spivira powder as it can stick to the mucus instead of being absorbed into the tissue.

So, ipratropium nebuliser or tiotropium spivira? Any advice anyone? Facts not personal views would be appreciated as we are all different and what may work for one will not work for another.

many thanks

Cheers from Mike (Chip) Chapman

Cornwall. UK

Subject: Re: Reflux, asthma or both? iptatroprium bromideTo: "asthma " <asthma >Date: Friday, 20 January, 2012, 16:43

Madeline, what med are you using to replace the iptatroprium bromide? I hope you are feeling better.

I was on Combivent for about 6 months.

They kept trying to tell me I had relfux but none of the reflux meds really helped. I never had

reflux before I started the iptatroprium bromide (I also used it in neb the duo neb mixture).

My doctors did not make the connection, I did thanks to this board! I stopped taking the

Combivent switched to the Spiriva on my own.

For some reason I am not having the stomach issues with the Spiriva.

My belching and bloating has stopped. I actually had attacks where my stomach would bloat,

I would burp, regurgitate, no be able to breath, my face, neck and chest would flush.

My stomach is slowly returning to normal I can eat almost everything I was able to before.

Although I think my migraine meds (midrin and fiorinol) make my stomach symptoms worse.

One thing I did notice when I was having stomach issues it seemed to worsen my breathing.

Lynne

To: "asthma " <asthma > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:39 PMSubject: Re: Reflux, asthma or both?

Hi lady. Is he taking Atrovent (iptatroprium bromide) or Spiriva? Is he complaining of nausea or vomiting? While reflux can worsen asthma symptoms, another lesser looked at issue is gastroparesis. The only reason this comes to mind is that I have recently been diagnosed with gastroparesis. Atrovent, Spiriva, and any other drug that works by relaxing smooth muscle walls can cause this. Belching is a common symptom of gastroparesis while it is not generally associated with GERD. Not wanting to cloud the issue, but it is a possible cause.

Madeline

To: asthma Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:11 AMSubject: Reflux, asthma or both?

My nine year old has had a worsening of his asthma in the past two months. Started with a virus that triggered a bad flare. Doctor started him on inhaled corticosteroids which seems to be helping some but not enough. He's having allergy testing in two weeks since it's been a long time since he's been tested. We'll see if anything new comes up. With the past several attacks during the night, he is burping a few times after the attack is over. Does this sound like reflux, or is he burping from overinflated lungs pressing on stomach? I have never had burping with asthma attacks myself. Of course, I will discuss this with his doctor too.