RemedySpot.com

Re: SIMPLE TEST OF HCL LEVELS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ok, I have performed the baking soda test on myself and the results were as follows: I drank the 1/4 tsp soda in an 8 oz glass of water. I felt like I had to burp within 2min but did not until 4.5mins. So does that mean I have enough acid? I guess so. Too bad, I was hoping it was low so I could take the HCL. I guess I could still try it but take a small dose. I know that I will never take PPI's. I think they are the worst drugs one can take. I know they will eventually link them to all sorts of issues older people deal with. My mom has been on them for 30 years and she is a mess digestively speaking. I don't want that to be my future. She won't listen to anyone about anything (don't get me started). Any suggestions?

Thanks,

PS. anything will make me burp when my GERD is acting up even water.

Guest guest

IMHO, you may have slightly low levels of HCL which is called Hypochlorhydria.

If you want to further test yourself to see if you have a noticeable improvement

in digestion try this test: ( However, I don't think it is necessary to get up

to 7 caps per meal. I have Achlorhydria and only take 3 caps per meal. I was

told that you slowly ramp up until you get acid reflux and then back off to the

dose just before that ie. 5 capsules gives you acid reflux with your meal, back

down to 4 with meals and that is the dosage that you will need. However it

isn't an exact science and the amount you need is really determined by how much

protein is in the meal or how much or little you eat at a meal.

The Stomach Acid Test (Betaine HCl Challenge)

You will need to purchase a Betaine HCl supplement, preferably with each

tablet/capsule providing 600mg. These are widely available and relatively

inexpensive.

1. Day 1: take 1 Betaine HCl tablet (usually 600mg) with each meal

2. Day 2: take 2 HCl tablet with each meal

3. Continue increasing by 1 tablet per day until you feel a warmth in your

stomach or until you reach seven tablets per meal

4. Reduce the & #145;warm stomach & #146; dose by 1 tablet per meal

5. Discomfort may develop later, as your body begins producing more HCl & #150;

reduce dose by 1 tablet at a time

IMPORTANT: this test should not be undertaken if there is gastritis or any

recent history of gastric ulceration (stomach ulcers).

>

> Ok, I have performed the baking soda test on myself and the results were as

follows:  I drank the 1/4 tsp soda in an 8 oz glass of water.  I felt like I had

to burp within 2min but did not until 4.5mins.   So does that mean I have enough

acid?  I guess so.  Too bad, I was hoping it was low so I could take the HCL.  I

guess I could still try it but take a small dose.  I know that I will never take

PPI's.  I think they are the worst drugs one can take.  I know they will

eventually link them to all sorts of issues older people deal with.  My mom has

been on them for 30 years and she is a mess digestively speaking.  I don't want

that to be my future.  She won't listen to anyone about anything (don't get me

started).  Any suggestions?

> Thanks,

> PS. anything will make me burp when my GERD is acting up even water.

>

Guest guest

After writing this email I researched this test further. Apparently, it is important to do it more than one day in a row. I did the test the next morning and was really feeling my stomach issues more so than the morning before. I did not burp within the 5mins. So I probably am low in acid. I think one must make the distinction between low volume of acid production vs. a high ph (i.e. too basic pH is above 3) with normal volume. I am not sure if my volume is low vs. high pH (>3). I decided to try apple cider vingar and it works great for making the stomach feel better however it was seriously killing my chest. I do believe at this point I have erosion in the esophagus and probably some inflammation in the stomach. I

have read that taking HCL or ACV with these conditions is bad until the erosions are cleared up. That, unfortunately means PPIs. I should just breakdown and get the endoscopy but the though of general anesthsia doesn't excite me. Been there done that and it messed up my digestive system for 2 weeks.

As we get older are we producing less fluid or a more basic pH. Does that even matter for these remedies?

Guest guest

Hi ,

The results of the ACV test will determine if you have too little or too much

stomach acid...

Since your stomach felt better, it means your acid level is low, adding in the

ACV increased it,

thus you need to produce more stomach acid... And low stomach acid for Lymies is

pretty common.

You actually are not given general anesthesia with an endoscopic exam, at least

the many I've had

never was a general given to me... What they use is " Propofol " this is a short

acting anesthesia

that actually does not put you to sleep, rather it gives you instant amnesia...

So you instantly forget

what is happening!! The end result is you don't recall anything about the exam,

even though you

are awake during it.. I think this is also used for colonoscopies..

And unlike a general anesthesia, recovery from Propofol is quick..

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/456991

>>>Propofol

Propofol is a short-acting anesthetic that boasts both a rapid onset of action

and a short recovery time.[6] It can produce unconsciousness within 30 seconds,

and can be used to induce and maintain a spectrum of sedation levels, ranging

from moderate to deep anesthesia. Propofol sedation can be achieved by

administering bolus doses as well as by continuous infusion. As an added

advantage, no matter how long the sedation period, recovery from propofol will

occur within 10-20 minutes once it is discontinued.

The disadvantage of propofol is its relatively narrow therapeutic range.

Titrating propofol to achieve conscious sedation without inadvertently inducing

general anesthesia requires clinical expertise. Given its high potential to

induce respiratory depression and cardiovascular instability, propofol has been

routinely administered by anesthesiologists.<<<<

It is very important to have normal stomach acid, this helps to digest meats and

other proteins and is also needed for some vitamins and minerals... B12, and

important vitamin does not work well with low stomach acid..

If you could, taking 1 - 2 Tbsp ACV 1/2 hour before meals will signal the body

to produce more stomach acid... Also, if you use magnesium oil or sea salt, mag

oil is magnesium chloride, sea salt is sodium chloride and chloride helps the

body to produce more stomach acid..

Take care,

Jim

>

> After writing this email I researched this test further.  Apparently, it is

important to do it more than one day in a row.  I did the test the next morning

and was really feeling my stomach issues more so than the morning before.  I did

not burp within the 5mins.  So I probably am low in acid.  I think one must make

the distinction between low volume of acid production vs. a high ph (i.e. too

basic pH is above 3) with normal volume.  I am not sure if my volume is low vs.

high pH (>3).  I decided to try apple cider vingar and it works great for making

the stomach feel better however it was seriously killing my chest.  I do believe

at this point I have erosion in the esophagus and probably some inflammation in

the stomach.  I have read that taking HCL or ACV with these conditions is bad

until the erosions are cleared up.  That, unfortunately means PPIs.  I should

just breakdown and get the endoscopy but the though of general anesthsia doesn't

> excite me.  Been there done that and it messed up my digestive system for 2

weeks. 

>  

> As we get older are we producing less fluid or a more basic pH.  Does that

even matter for these remedies? 

>

Guest guest

I have been awol for a while addressing my pyroluria issues and during that time I got a lot of benefit from taking betaine HCl for my stomach acid deficit. I was surprised to see it being discussed here! That's great.

I wanted to suggest that you look up some info on an " ascended stomach " or " hiatal (hiatus) hernia " a condition that often accompanies low stomach acid. The LES (lower esophageal sphincter) is weakened from the fact that there's not enough acid present to make it nice and tight, and then the top part of the stomach can protrude up into the chest cavity. Some people go and get a drastic surgery to correct it, but you can massage it back down and after you keep it that way a while and correct your acid, it will begin to want to stay down and will hurt a little when it " goes up " again. So then you can push it back down again. This will help a lot with the reflux, irritation in the chest, throat etc. heartburn. There are sites with instructions on how to do it, but basically you just place the fingers or fist at the solar plexus and push gently in toward the spine and down and around to the left. It helps if you put a little lotion or oil on the skin. You might be able to hear or feel it go " plop " back into place. You should feel some relief, if not it's not all the way back down. Helps too, to bend over a little and exhale, or inhale as you massage. As I said after you do this enough to keep the stomach in it's proper position for a while, it will begin signalling you when it needs doing again.

Also - advil or other nsaids will erode the mucous lining of the stomach and cut down on acid levels, and you don't want to supplement with betaine HCl if you are using nsaids.Sincerely,Robin Little

--- C Mellman wrote:

>

> After writing this email I researched this test further.  Apparently, it is important to do it more than one day in a row.  I did the test the next morning and was really feeling my stomach issues more so than the morning before.  I did not burp within the 5mins.  So I probably am low in acid.  I think one must make the distinction between low volume of acid production vs. a high ph (i.e. too basic pH is above 3) with normal volume.  I am not sure if my volume is low vs. high pH (>3).  I decided to try apple cider vingar and it works great for making the stomach feel better however it was seriously killing my chest.  I do believe at this point I have erosion in the esophagus and probably some inflammation in the stomach.  I have read that taking HCL or ACV with these conditions is bad until the erosions are cleared up.  That, unfortunately means PPIs.  I should just breakdown and get the endoscopy but the though of general anesthsia doesn't

> excite me.  Been there done that and it messed up my digestive system for 2 weeks. 

>  

> As we get older are we producing less fluid or a more basic pH.  Does that even matter for these remedies? 

>