RemedySpot.com

Ruth Hubbard - women in science -

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ruth Hubbard talks about the medicalization of women's health. Very interesting!! She doesn't get all the testing done. She just doesn't trust that it's pertinent to her body because the statistics and probabilities don't promise truth for her. I'm very fascinated by her ideas because I don't like working with a fear based approach to my hormone use. I'm not a slave to the ultrasound for my uterus. I have other markers that I watch like a fiend. I like having her thoughts in the discussion about health. I find myself alternating and dancing back and forth between a place like sciencebasedmedicine and women like this - and many more. The point, I believe, is to challenge whatever is my current precious belief. Laurel _______________http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2009/01/02/how-to-think-about-science-part-1---24-listen/#episode19

From the site.Ruth Hubbard spent the first almost 20 years of her scientific life at a lab bench investigating the biochemistry of vision. Her late husband, Wald, who directed the research, won aNobel Prize for the discoveries their team made about how the eye works. In the 1960's, during the Vietnam War, her horizons expanded to include the politics of science. She took a leading part in the emerging feminist critique of the situation of women in science. And she became a fierce opponent of the direction biology was taking in developing new genetic and reproductive technologies that amounted, in her view, to an experiment on human being. Ruth Hubbard is professor emerita of biology at Harvard, and the author of The Politics of Women's Biology, andExploding the Gene Myth, written with her son Elijah Wald.

Guest guest

Laurel -

Would you mind elaborating on the markers that you watch like a fiend?

Thanks, Deb in MI

>

> Ruth Hubbard talks about the medicalization of women's health. Very

interesting!! She doesn't get all the testing done. She just doesn't trust

that it's pertinent to her body because the statistics and probabilities don't

promise truth for her. I'm very fascinated by her ideas because I don't like

working with a fear based approach to my hormone use. I'm not a slave to the

ultrasound for my uterus. I have other markers that I watch like a fiend.

>

> I like having her thoughts in the discussion about health. I find myself

alternating and dancing back and forth between a place like sciencebasedmedicine

and women like this - and many more. The point, I believe, is to challenge

whatever is my current precious belief.

>

> Laurel