RemedySpot.com

Re: the first and second wave ....please help me understand better

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hey Marty,

As I understand (and don't quote me) the first wave is psychoanalysis (Freud and Yung for example), then the second wave came in the form of CBT development and expansion (examples are Beck and Ellis) and currently, the third wave is geared around mindfulness based therapies. There are many examples, with ACT, Linehan with DBT and Kabat-Zinn with his Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, to name a few.

Like I said, don't quote me but I think that's pretty close.

Subject: the first and second wave ....please help me understand betterTo: ACT_for_the_Public Received: Monday, 20 August, 2012, 8:23 AM

I pretty much understand the third wave ... If I understand what came before, I will better see how the progression to the third wave came. Not that I haven't read about all the waves .... It just has not fully registered.Yes, I think I Know a lot about cognitive therapy .... not enough .... and then behavioral and others????Also I would like it explained with examples .... and assuming I am a high school student who is about to embark on my first psychology class because I am interested in learning more about feeling and how I can feel better and get along better with others.Marty K

This wave deal has been used a few times in the history of psychology.Back in the 50's and 60's there was indeed one use of it that had psychoanalysisas wave 1 I stirred things up in my Association of Behavior and Cognitive Therapies presidential address

paper in 2004 with another " wave " analysis, focused on the behavioral and cognitive therapies:Wave 1 was behavior therapy: overt action and emotion were directly targeted 

Wave 2 was cognitive behavior therapy: thinking and its role in emotion and action was directly targetedWave 3 was the acceptance and mindfulness forms of CBT (contextual CBT): the relationship of the person 

to thinking and emotion, and the role of that relationship in action was targetedI've attached the paper if you can stand to read geeky stuff- S

C. Foundation ProfessorDepartment of Psychology /298University of NevadaReno, NV 89557-0062 " Love isn't everything, it's the only thing " hayes@... or stevenchayes@...

Fax: Psych Department: Home (use sparingly): Cell (even more so): Contextual Change (you can use this number for messages if need be):

Blogs: Psychology Today  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/get-out-your-mindHuffington Post  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-c-hayes-phd

If you want my vita, publications, PowerPoint slides, try my training page:  http://contextualpsychology.org/steve_hayesor you can try my website (it is semi-functional) stevenchayes.com

If you have any questions about ACT or RFT (articles, AAQ information etc), please first check the vast resources at website of the Association for Contextual Behavioral Science (ACBS): www.contextualpsychology.org. You have to register on the site to download things, but the cost is up to your own values.

If you are a professional or student and want to be part of the world wide ACT discussion or RFT discussions, join the ACT list: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/acceptanceandcommitmenttherapy/join

or the RFT list:http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/relationalframetheory/joinIf you are a member of the public reading ACT self-help books (e.g., " Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life " etc) and want to be part of that conversation go to: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ACT_for_the_Public/join

Hey Marty,

As I understand (and don't quote me) the first wave is psychoanalysis (Freud and Yung for example), then the second wave came in the form of CBT development and expansion (examples are Beck and Ellis) and currently, the third wave is geared around mindfulness based therapies. There are many examples, with ACT, Linehan with DBT and Kabat-Zinn with his Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, to name a few.

Like I said, don't quote me but I think that's pretty close.

Subject: the first and second wave ....please help me understand better

To: ACT_for_the_Public Received: Monday, 20 August, 2012, 8:23 AM

I pretty much understand the third wave ... If I understand what came before, I will better see how the progression to the third wave came. Not that I haven't read about all the waves .... It just has not fully registered.

Yes, I think I Know a lot about cognitive therapy .... not enough .... and then behavioral and others????Also I would like it explained with examples .... and assuming I am a high school student who is about to embark on my first psychology class because I am interested in learning more about feeling and how I can feel better and get along better with others.

Marty K

Hi ,

I am studying this more with some direction from Steve. As he said at one time

psychoanalysis was thought of as the first wave.

Although it seems fairly simple, as I find a way to show to myself the different

waves and how they weave into each other ... I believe it can be a way to show

the same to some beginners. Any ideas you have along those lines are always

appreciated. I'll put something out in a week or so. As ACT teaches ... I can

share a goal 'segment "

Marty

>

>

>

> Subject: the first and second wave ....please help me

understand better

> To: ACT_for_the_Public

> Received: Monday, 20 August, 2012, 8:23 AM

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> I pretty much understand the third wave ... If I understand what came before,

I will better see how the progression to the third wave came. Not that I haven't

read about all the waves .... It just has not fully registered.

>

> Yes, I think I Know a lot about cognitive therapy .... not enough .... and

then behavioral and others????

>

> Also I would like it explained with examples .... and assuming I am a high

school student who is about to embark on my first psychology class because I am

interested in learning more about feeling and how I can feel better and get

along better with others.

>

> Marty K

>