RemedySpot.com

Re: Referred to CBT

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello I don't think defusing equals ignoring. Defusing just offers some detachment and space from the ruminating. Personally I think some CBT exercises can be helpful. Not necessarily to feel better but CBT techniques can help to look at an issue more rationally. I don't think it could hurt to give it a go. Hopefully you'll get a therapist allocated soon.Birgit Sent from my iPhone

After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with psychology services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.

They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some unhelpful problem-solving habits. They want to do some more conventional CBT to improve how I solve difficult issues.

I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. What should I do with the new information from school? The truth is that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat from the chaff. My curious scientist lets me down. I still always over-react, and looking back at a later date, I can see that any decision I take is usually disproportionate to the problem.

Not sure if conventional CBT will help any more than ACT.

I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another waiting list for when the next therapist becomes available.

>> I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. I think that’s often how people feel about defusion. It maybe looks that way at first. However, isn’t defusion actually a bit different from ignoring the problem? Some of our thoughts are more fused than others. Does fusing with a thought make it easier to solve practical problems? Don’t we deal with lots of problems every day without getting very entangled with thoughts about them? on

We may well deal with lots of problems without engaging with thoughts, but it is very difficult with important issues that are very close to your heart.I don't know how you can make decisions on important topics without analysing your thoughts, to some degree?This may be where I am stuck. Thanks, . To:

ACT_for_the_Public Sent: Monday, 27 February 2012, 13:54 Subject: Re: Referred to CBT

>> I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. I think that’s often how people feel about defusion. It maybe looks that way at first. However, isn’t defusion actually a bit different from ignoring the problem? Some of our thoughts are more fused than others. Does fusing with a thought make it easier to solve practical problems? Don’t we deal with lots of problems every day without getting very entangled with thoughts about them?

on

"Defusing just offers some detachment and space from the ruminating. "A good point. As an aside, I am very good with the "committed action" part of ACT, but actually, I am too good!!! I rush into decisions whilst I am still a little spooked by whatever has frightened me. I try to adopt a strategy to defuse until I have calmed down from the initial "panic" reaction, before then delving in to see if there is anything I can helpfully do.I just don't seem to do this very well, at the moment. To: "ACT_for_the_Public " <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Monday, 27 February 2012, 13:45 Subject: Re: Referred to CBT

Hello I don't think defusing equals ignoring. Defusing just offers some detachment and space from the ruminating. Personally I think some CBT exercises can be helpful. Not necessarily to feel better but CBT techniques can help to look at an issue more rationally. I don't think it could hurt to give it a go. Hopefully you'll get a therapist allocated soon.Birgit Sent from my iPhone

After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with psychology services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.

They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some unhelpful problem-solving habits. They want to do some more conventional CBT to improve how I solve difficult issues.

I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. What should I do with the new information from school? The truth is that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat from the chaff. My curious scientist lets me down. I still always over-react, and looking back at a later date, I can see that any decision I take is usually disproportionate to the problem.

I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another waiting list for when the next therapist becomes available.

Chapters 7-13 of The Compassionate Mind might be very helpful. Part 1, Chapters 1-6 basically build the case for the need for a compassionate mind. Part 2, chapters 7-13 tell how to build one. Mine is under construction.BillTo: ACT_for_the_Public From: oscar.robson@...Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 19:05:27 +0000Subject: Re: Referred to CBT

THanks Bill, I will give that a read. My "unhelpful problem-solving" is just a reference to the fact that I tend to make very poor decisions when faced with something pressuring that I have to actually confront and deal with. My stress gets in the way of making sensible choices. I can sometimes avoid, and sometimes over-reach and do too much. Rarely are my choices proportionate to the problem. Cheers, To: ACT_for_the_Public <act_for_the_public > Sent: Monday, 27 February 2012, 14:41 Subject: RE: Referred to CBT

- I'm not sure what you mean by "unhelpful problem-solving habit." But those words sound like some thoughts I have been having about the way I think. If you will go to post #17774 on the ACTforthePublic listserv archives you will see a thread about The Compassionate Mind by Gilbert. It starts with me asking about whether this book is ACT consistent and concludes with a post from Hays saying that it is. I'm finding Chapter 9 (Compassionate Thinking) in the book very helpful. It's working well for me. My hope is that the book teaches me how to process my thoughts rather than simply defuse from them. This may be just another method of defusion but it's making sense to me.I hope this is helpful.BillTo: ACT_for_the_Public From: oscar.robson@...Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:02:13 +0000Subject: Referred to CBT

Well, in most CBT you would learn to “distance” yourself from the content of your thoughts, by writing them down and viewing them as hypotheses, etc., prior to evaluating them in terms of the evidence for and against, the presence of any distortions, and possibly the pros and cons of thinking and acting that way. ACT was originally called “comprehensive distancing” because, as I understand it, it took this basic initial aspect of cognitive therapy and developed it further, through meditation-like strategies, etc., without the emphasis on disputing or evaluating thoughts. You can care a lot about something, placing a lot of value and importance on it, without necessarily worrying or ruminating over it. It comes back to your relationship with your thoughts and the extent to which you’re mindful of them and their function, perhaps. If something’s important but your whole way of thinking it through isn’t ultimately working out for you then it might become important to respond to your thoughts a bit differently, e.g., by accepting their presence while defusing them enough to follow-through on important decisions without worry or rumination, etc., getting in the way.

Thanks - you've definitely moved me on. I've been treating thoughts and defusion as "all or nothing". As you've shown, there is clearly a way of working with thoughts, and yet being mindful of what they are.Cheers, x To: ACT_for_the_Public Sent: Wednesday, 29 February 2012, 13:04

Subject: Re: Referred to CBT

Well, in most CBT you would learn to “distance†yourself from the content of your thoughts, by writing them down and viewing them as hypotheses, etc., prior to evaluating them in terms of the evidence for and against, the presence of any distortions, and possibly the pros and cons of thinking and acting that way. ACT was originally called “comprehensive distancing†because, as I understand it, it took this basic initial aspect of cognitive therapy and developed it further, through meditation-like strategies, etc., without the emphasis on disputing or evaluating thoughts. You can care a lot about something, placing a lot of value and importance on it, without necessarily worrying or ruminating over it. It comes back to your relationship with your thoughts and the extent

to which you’re mindful of them and their function, perhaps. If something’s important but your whole way of thinking it through isn’t ultimately working out for you then it might become important to respond to your thoughts a bit differently, e.g., by accepting their presence while defusing them enough to follow-through on important decisions without worry or rumination, etc., getting in the way.

Bill, may sound like a silly question, but might you clarify what you're meaning

when you say you're wanting to learn how to " process " thoughts (rather than

simply defuse from them)? Thanks.

>

>

> - I'm not sure what you mean by " unhelpful problem-solving habit. " But

those words sound like some thoughts I have been having about the way I think.

If you will go to post #17774 on the ACTforthePublic listserv archives you will

see a thread about The Compassionate Mind by Gilbert. It starts with me

asking about whether this book is ACT consistent and concludes with a post from

Hays saying that it is. I'm finding Chapter 9 (Compassionate Thinking) in

the book very helpful. It's working well for me. My hope is that the book

teaches me how to process my thoughts rather than simply defuse from them. This

may be just another method of defusion but it's making sense to me.

> I hope this is helpful.

> Bill

>

> To: ACT_for_the_Public

> From: oscar.robson@...

> Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:02:13 +0000

> Subject: Referred to CBT

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with psychology

services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.

>

>

>

> They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some

unhelpful problem-solving habits. They want to do some more conventional CBT to

improve how I solve difficult issues.

>

>

>

> I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of

difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the

problem. What should I do with the new information from school? The truth is

that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat

from the chaff. My curious scientist lets me down. I still always over-react,

and looking back at a later date, I can see that any decision I take is usually

disproportionate to the problem.

>

>

>

> Not sure if conventional CBT will help any more than ACT.

>

>

>

> I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another

waiting list for when the next therapist becomes available.

>

BTW, if it helps, I think I am wanting this too. But I'm not sure about calling

it processing thoughts. I think you're onto something when you say it could be

more of what defusion entails. (And I'd add acceptance and mindfulness in there)

And yes, the compassionate posture is really important here. It's a bit of an

unfortunate misconception I hear time to time (maybe from some ACT readings?)

that tends to imply defusion (and even acceptance) is more about a control move,

getting rid of uncomfortable thoughts, feelings in order to get somewhere else,

like to your values.

> >

> >

> > - I'm not sure what you mean by " unhelpful problem-solving habit. " But

those words sound like some thoughts I have been having about the way I think.

If you will go to post #17774 on the ACTforthePublic listserv archives you will

see a thread about The Compassionate Mind by Gilbert. It starts with me

asking about whether this book is ACT consistent and concludes with a post from

Hays saying that it is. I'm finding Chapter 9 (Compassionate Thinking) in

the book very helpful. It's working well for me. My hope is that the book

teaches me how to process my thoughts rather than simply defuse from them. This

may be just another method of defusion but it's making sense to me.

> > I hope this is helpful.

> > Bill

> >

> > To: ACT_for_the_Public

> > From: oscar.robson@

> > Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:02:13 +0000

> > Subject: Referred to CBT

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with

psychology services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.

> >

> >

> >

> > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some

> >

> >

> >

> > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of

that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat

> >

> >

> >

> > Not sure if conventional CBT will help any more than ACT.

> >

> >

> >

> > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another

> >

>

Oh, sorry for the intrusion. I think i answered my own question or rather, it

matters not what you meant by the word " process " . I tend to get caught up in

other people's words.

> > >

> > >

> > > - I'm not sure what you mean by " unhelpful problem-solving habit. "

But those words sound like some thoughts I have been having about the way I

think. If you will go to post #17774 on the ACTforthePublic listserv archives

you will see a thread about The Compassionate Mind by Gilbert. It starts

with me asking about whether this book is ACT consistent and concludes with a

post from Hays saying that it is. I'm finding Chapter 9 (Compassionate

Thinking) in the book very helpful. It's working well for me. My hope is that

the book teaches me how to process my thoughts rather than simply defuse from

them. This may be just another method of defusion but it's making sense to me.

> > > I hope this is helpful.

> > > Bill

> > >

> > > To: ACT_for_the_Public

> > > From: oscar.robson@

> > > Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:02:13 +0000

> > > Subject: Referred to CBT

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Not sure if conventional CBT will help any more than ACT.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another

> > >

> >

>

How about "think about my thoughts?" Post 14447 has a quote from the book that I found especially appealing. This feels like I'm walking kind of close to the edge of a slippery slope - ala trying to change my thoughts, so I'm being very careful where this takes me. I think if I was reading this book without the benefit of ACT context I might be unwittingly tempted to use it to control thoughts. Rather I am using it as a way to think about my thoughts - thus defusion. It turns out that the book is teaching me that I am not stuck with how I think about my thoughts and can look at them in a much more helpful manner. Chapter 9 is the essence of what I'm talking about.BillTo: ACT_for_the_Public From: theresa.linder@...Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:20:59 +0000Subject: Re: Referred to CBT

BTW, if it helps, I think I am wanting this too. But I'm not sure about calling it processing thoughts. I think you're onto something when you say it could be more of what defusion entails. (And I'd add acceptance and mindfulness in there) And yes, the compassionate posture is really important here. It's a bit of an unfortunate misconception I hear time to time (maybe from some ACT readings?) that tends to imply defusion (and even acceptance) is more about a control move, getting rid of uncomfortable thoughts, feelings in order to get somewhere else, like to your values.

> >

> >

> > - I'm not sure what you mean by "unhelpful problem-solving habit." But those words sound like some thoughts I have been having about the way I think. If you will go to post #17774 on the ACTforthePublic listserv archives you will see a thread about The Compassionate Mind by Gilbert. It starts with me asking about whether this book is ACT consistent and concludes with a post from Hays saying that it is. I'm finding Chapter 9 (Compassionate Thinking) in the book very helpful. It's working well for me. My hope is that the book teaches me how to process my thoughts rather than simply defuse from them. This may be just another method of defusion but it's making sense to me.

> > I hope this is helpful.

> > Bill

> >

> > To: ACT_for_the_Public

> > From: oscar.robson@

> > Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:02:13 +0000

> > Subject: Referred to CBT

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with psychology services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.

> >

> >

> >

> > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some unhelpful problem-solving habits. They want to do some more conventional CBT to improve how I solve difficult issues.

> >

> >

> >

> > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. What should I do with the new information from school? The truth is that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat from the chaff. My curious scientist lets me down. I still always over-react, and looking back at a later date, I can see that any decision I take is usually disproportionate to the problem.

> >

> >

> >

> > Not sure if conventional CBT will help any more than ACT.

> >

> >

> >

> > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another waiting list for when the next therapist becomes available.

> >

>

It was a fair question.To: ACT_for_the_Public From: theresa.linder@...Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 22:46:32 +0000Subject: Re: Referred to CBT

Oh, sorry for the intrusion. I think i answered my own question or rather, it matters not what you meant by the word "process". I tend to get caught up in other people's words.

> > >

> > >

> > > - I'm not sure what you mean by "unhelpful problem-solving habit." But those words sound like some thoughts I have been having about the way I think. If you will go to post #17774 on the ACTforthePublic listserv archives you will see a thread about The Compassionate Mind by Gilbert. It starts with me asking about whether this book is ACT consistent and concludes with a post from Hays saying that it is. I'm finding Chapter 9 (Compassionate Thinking) in the book very helpful. It's working well for me. My hope is that the book teaches me how to process my thoughts rather than simply defuse from them. This may be just another method of defusion but it's making sense to me.

> > > Bill

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with psychology services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some unhelpful problem-solving habits. They want to do some more conventional CBT to improve how I solve difficult issues.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. What should I do with the new information from school? The truth is that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat from the chaff. My curious scientist lets me down. I still always over-react, and looking back at a later date, I can see that any decision I take is usually disproportionate to the problem.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another waiting list for when the next therapist becomes available.

> > >

> >

>

Oh, nice. Maybe " thinking my thoughts " --you know, gently having them as they

are..nothing terribly more, nothing terribly less. But sure don't want to put

words in your mouth. I have plenty enough of my own here..wow I guess I like to

use words as I read that post from last year! Whew! ;-) Anyhow, fun stuff and

good to be on this journey with you.

kind regards,

terry

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > - I'm not sure what you mean by " unhelpful problem-solving habit. "

>

>

> > > Bill

>

> > >

>

>

>

>

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another

>

> > >

>

> >

>

I meant precisely what I wrote - "process my thoughts" and "think about my thoughts." The method is very deliberate and is much different than "gently having them." BillTo: ACT_for_the_Public From: theresa.linder@...Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 02:22:13 +0000Subject: Re: Referred to CBT

Oh, nice. Maybe "thinking my thoughts"--you know, gently having them as they are..nothing terribly more, nothing terribly less. But sure don't want to put words in your mouth. I have plenty enough of my own here..wow I guess I like to use words as I read that post from last year! Whew! ;-) Anyhow, fun stuff and good to be on this journey with you.

kind regards,

terry

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > - I'm not sure what you mean by "unhelpful problem-solving habit." But those words sound like some thoughts I have been having about the way I think. If you will go to post #17774 on the ACTforthePublic listserv archives you will see a thread about The Compassionate Mind by Gilbert. It starts with me asking about whether this book is ACT consistent and concludes with a post from Hays saying that it is. I'm finding Chapter 9 (Compassionate Thinking) in the book very helpful. It's working well for me. My hope is that the book teaches me how to process my thoughts rather than simply defuse from them. This may be just another method of defusion but it's making sense to me.

>

>

> > > Bill

>

> > >

>

>

>

>

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with psychology services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some unhelpful problem-solving habits. They want to do some more conventional CBT to improve how I solve difficult issues.

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. What should I do with the new information from school? The truth is that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat from the chaff. My curious scientist lets me down. I still always over-react, and looking back at a later date, I can see that any decision I take is usually disproportionate to the problem.

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > >

>

> > > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another waiting list for when the next therapist becomes available.

>

> > >

>

> >

>

Okay. Well, there was a question mark there so took it to mean there was a

desire for responses, that you were guessing (aloud) with us at what it means.

Sorry if my words had you feeling misunderstood. Unfortunately I don't have the

book, so don't know what method you're referring to, but do know with many

traditional therapies the phrase " lets process that some " is meant to be a very

deliberate effort as you say. One that typically involves analyzing feelings

and thoughts, sorting/sifting through them, talking about them, looking for

meaning, understanding, causality. I still use the phrase now and again, mean it

as something quite different than pre-ACT. More like to " sit with, get with " my

feelings and thoughts. As with acceptance. Not a mindy thing. Not to say

thinking about thoughts is a mindy or worthless endeavor. As (I think) you were

saying, with ACT practice, the desire to turn suggestions and guidance into yet

another bag of tricks to control unwanted thoughts is greatly diminished. And

really no biggie if you find yourself going there..I do all the time since mind

likes to look for answers....just catch myself sooner and put the shovel down

again. Anyhow, I'm glad the book is helping you see you're not stuck with how

you think about your thoughts. That piece seems very useful.

kind regards,

terry

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > - I'm not sure what you mean by " unhelpful problem-solving habit. "

>

> >

>

> > > > I hope this is helpful.

>

> >

>

> > > > Bill

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > To: ACT_for_the_Public

>

> >

>

> > > > From: oscar.robson@

>

> >

>

> > > > Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 11:02:13 +0000

>

> >

>

> > > > Subject: Referred to CBT

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > Not sure if conventional CBT will help any more than ACT.

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > > > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another

>

> >

>

> > > >

>

> >

>

> > >

>

> >

>

Guest guest

BillWhat comes yo mind for me is... the selfing component of the ACT model, self as context, self as process, self as content. I view processing as an integration of experience. Beverly Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless Referred to CBT> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > After a long wait, I've made it to the assessment stage with psychology services again. They worked with me on ACT last time.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > They feel that ACT has helped me in many ways, but I am stuck with some unhelpful problem-solving habits. They want to do some more conventional CBT to improve how I solve difficult issues.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I gave the example of my son's report from school. It generated lots of difficult thoughts for me, but to defuse from them would be like ignoring the problem. What should I do with the new information from school? The truth is that I have real problems looking at troublesome thoughts, and picking the wheat from the chaff. My curious scientist lets me down. I still always over-react, and looking back at a later date, I can see that any decision I take is usually disproportionate to the problem.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Not sure if conventional CBT will help any more than ACT. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > I will have to wait and see. The glorious NHS has now put me on another waiting list for when the next therapist becomes available.> > > >> > >>