RemedySpot.com

RE: The Three Senses of Self

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Yes. I dont really understand it fully either, without getting specific and my limited understanding of it ,is that your not your thoughts , your concept of yourself ,the story your tells of you, but something deeper involving your observer self, well thats where ive got to in my understanding of it. How do you see it? Mine was i tthink a simple view of it.

Sent from Yahoo!7 Mail on Android

experiential2012 ;

To:

<ACT_for_the_Public >;

Subject:

The Three Senses of Self

Sent:

Wed, Mar 28, 2012 12:44:47 PM

I've been rehashing chapters in GOOYM and came back to Chapter 7 – " If I'm not my Thoughts then Who Am I? " and wanted to ask for feedback. I seem to be drawn to simplifying as much as possible so I put the three senses of self into the simplest summary I could. I don't feel very confident in my understanding really and think I need to add more but often that becomes perpetual. Anyway, so the summary.....

The Three Senses of Self

1. Self as Process: This is you being in the here and now, living in the present. It is where one practices mindfulness. It is about being consciously aware.

2. Self as content: This is all about the `I am' statements. The `I am' statements state who you think you are (according to that perception).

3. Self as Context: Is a conscious observation of oneself and the situation with an awareness of both being distanced and connected.(?)

I know this isn't big picture stuff or committed action etc. But for me the three senses of self have been a large part of my journey and I've experienced many changes over the last couple years. I am still in the process of building my foundation.

Cheers,

Guest guest

Building on what you wrote (and I haven't given a great deal of thought or study to this), does this work?

1. Self as Process = The "mindful/doing" self

2. Self as Content = The "thinking/judging" self

3. Self as Content = The "observing/connected self

I think #1 and #3 overlap - mindfulness, awareness, observing, connection - etc. Clearly, I need to think about this some more. Now you have me intrigued!

Helena

To: "ACT for the Public" <ACT_for_the_Public >Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:44:47 AMSubject: The Three Senses of Self

I've been rehashing chapters in GOOYM and came back to Chapter 7 – "If I'm not my Thoughts then Who Am I?" and wanted to ask for feedback. I seem to be drawn to simplifying as much as possible so I put the three senses of self into the simplest summary I could. I don't feel very confident in my understanding really and think I need to add more but often that becomes perpetual. Anyway, so the summary..... The Three Senses of Self1. Self as Process: This is you being in the here and now, living in the present. It is where one practices mindfulness. It is about being consciously aware.2. Self as content: This is all about the `I am' statements. The `I am' statements state who you think you are (according to that perception).3. Self as Context: Is a conscious observation of oneself and the situation with an awareness of both being distanced and connected.(?)I know this isn't big picture stuff or committed action etc. But for me the three senses of self have been a large part of my journey and I've experienced many changes over the last couple years. I am still in the process of building my foundation.Cheers,

Guest guest

Ok, with this call it transformation of oneself,even if l dont fully get it yet, you change literally by observing your thoughts ,feelings, so if your changed ,others will notice this too not just YOU, and thats weird in a way and challeging, but Values can ground you ,and maybe become YOU,in a flexible way. And i found in being assertive in following ur Values ,if thats one of your produces a YOU too. Be it a New you, or and old one that was already there.

L ;

To:

ACT_for_the_Public <ACT_for_the_Public >;

Subject:

Re: The Three Senses of Self

Sent:

Wed, Mar 28, 2012 1:25:13 PM

Hmmmm, ok....:-) " You are not your thoughts, your concept of yourself or the story your mind tells of you " ...yep, 10-4 on that one, absolutely :-) I'd like to add also that moving through all that or developing an understanding relies on 'how one interacts with it'. Thanks for that, I'm going to add it into my summary.The observing self is still a bit of a mystery to me. As my mindfulness skills improve and I have longer periods of being fully engaged, I notice changes in my ability to comprehend, express, assess, respond and react. I sometimes experience a fullness, like nothing in the world

is relevant except

right now. I couldn't be somewhere else even if I wanted to because it is obsolete. I guess my explanation is kind of abstract, I struggle to describe sensation when it comes to the observing self. I feel like I am both teacher and student, coaching and learning about 'who' I am.All the best, To:

" ACT_for_the_Public "

<ACT_for_the_Public >; " experiential2012@... " Sent: Wednesday, 28 March 2012 11:22 PM Subject: Re: The Three Senses of Self

Yes. I dont really understand it fully either, without getting specific and my limited understanding of it ,is that your not your thoughts , your concept of yourself ,the story your tells of you, but something deeper involving your observer self, well thats where ive got to in my understanding of it. How do you see it? Mine was i tthink a simple view of it.

experiential2012 ;

To:

<ACT_for_the_Public >;

Subject:

The Three Senses of Self

Sent:

Wed, Mar 28, 2012 12:44:47 PM

I've been rehashing chapters in GOOYM and came back to Chapter 7 – " If I'm not my Thoughts then Who Am I? " and wanted to ask for feedback. I seem to be drawn to simplifying as much as possible so I put the three senses of self into the simplest summary I could. I don't feel very confident in my understanding really and think I need to add more but often that becomes perpetual. Anyway, so the summary.....

The Three Senses of Self

1. Self as Process: This is you being in the here and now, living in the present. It is where one practices mindfulness. It is about being consciously aware.

2. Self as content: This is all about the `I am' statements. The `I am' statements state who you think you are (according to that perception).

3. Self as Context: Is a conscious observation of oneself and the situation with an awareness of both being distanced and connected.(?)

I know this isn't big picture stuff or committed action etc. But for me the three senses of self have been a large part of my journey and I've experienced many changes over the last couple years. I am still in the process of building my foundation.

Cheers,

Guest guest

Hi Just a couple of comments on #3 - self as context, I think the trickiest self to grasp. - It is the self that notices what's going on and the self that notices me noticing.- The term "perspective taking" is beginning to be used in place of "self as context" and "observing self." If you subscribe to the "acceptanceandcommitmenttherapy" list you can find some good discussion about the emerging term.- I developed my own definition which simplifies it for me - The self that notices what needs to be noticed to live a valued life. Yes, it's simplistic and probably fodder for word-smithing. - The "observing self" is an important entrance point into the hexaflex as it helps me select which of the other ACT core processes might be useful in living a valued life. When I get stuck, it's usually because I have not "noticed what needs to be noticed." For instance - struggle, not focusing on the present, ...Thanks for raising the topic.BillTo: ACT_for_the_Public From: experiential2012@...Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 12:44:47 +0000Subject: The Three Senses of Self

I've been rehashing chapters in GOOYM and came back to Chapter 7 – "If I'm not my Thoughts then Who Am I?" and wanted to ask for feedback. I seem to be drawn to simplifying as much as possible so I put the three senses of self into the simplest summary I could. I don't feel very confident in my understanding really and think I need to add more but often that becomes perpetual. Anyway, so the summary.....

The Three Senses of Self

Cheers,