RemedySpot.com

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Here's an article in NY Times by Taubes back in 2002.  This and the response he got for it is what started him to end up writing Good Calories Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat.http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/07/magazine/what-if-it-s-all-been-a-big-fat-lie.html

What does this have to do with ACT.? Well some people talked about eating to much when stress.  And some psychological advice was giving including mindful eating.  But, like Kaviey points out, it's important to look at what is going on physiologically in your body.  Kaivey mentions and posts some articles related to how hormone levels, stress and weight gain. 

So, I content that physiological stuff and what you are eating be taken into consideration.I've lost and gained weight for last few years.  Every time I've been successful losing it has been by restricting carbs.  Whenever I think I can mix in some " good " carbs I start gaining weight.  So I have to think that for me I have to pretty much severely restrict carbs.   A couple years ago while eating a basic standard western diet, I picked up a book by Judith Beck called the Beck Diet Solution and tried to apply CBT to losing weight.  It didn't work.  Judith is the daughter of the father of CBT Beck.  I learned a lot attempting this.  One is CBT doesn't work for me for weight lost.  But that also got me to thinking about perhaps the limitations of CBT period - not just to weight lost.  And I also learned that perhaps looking at only the psychology of weight problem is not the way to go but also the physiology has to be considered.

Now, is there some things about ACT that would make it more effective than CBT applied to weight lost and management.  I think perhaps so.  I know that at the beginning of GOOYM I held my breath much longer using some mindfulness that Steve suggested in book.  Based on that I think perhaps it can be more effective.  But I still think physiological considerations need to be taken in.

Cheers,