RemedySpot.com

RE: The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am truly sorry you had such a negative experience with psychiatrists and meds, Kaivey. My experience was quite different and was very positive for me - but I went into it with my eyes wide open and I did not just buy into everything that was said just because he/she was a doctor. People need to be careful and skeptical when working with any professional - it's your body, your brain. I think the profession is slowly realizing that drug treatment is not always - or usually - warranted, especially in kids. I have a nephew who is learning-disabled and has Tourette's Syndrome and tics. He has been pumped full of drugs all his young life. He is now 21 and has weaned himself off them. He has less control of his tics and flare-ups of temper without the drugs, but he is learning how to manage those. I'm proud of him. HelenaTo: "ACT for the Public" <ACT_for_the_Public >Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:10:38 AMSubject: The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain

I put this out here before, but this one has the product description to the hardback version of the book which is much better. Below is the post I put no my PSSD site to cheer them up a litlle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi gang,

I just love the title to this book, but there is no need to buy it, just look at that subtitle.

The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain

Product Description

Recent neuroscience research reflects a new optimism concerning the ability of the brain to remain flexible and benefit from enriched environments throughout life. Psychotherapy is such an enriched environment, tailored to encourage the growth and integration of neural networks regulating memory, cognition, emotion and attachment. This text hypothesizes that all forms of psychotherapy - from psychoanalysis to behaviourism - are successful to the degree to which they enhance plasticity in relevant neural circuits. Many forms of psychotherapy, developed in the absence of any understanding of the brain, are now being supported by findings in neuroscience. The text suggests that the "unscientific" use of language and emotional attunement, for which psychotherapists are often criticized by those in the hard sciences, may actually provide the best medium for neural growth and integration. The basic premises are that the brain is an organ of adaptation which is first built by early interpersonal experiences and that psychotherapy creates an interpersonal matrix capable of rebuilding it. Written for psychotherapists and others interested in the relationship between the brain and behaviour, the primary goal of this text is to encourage us to consider the brain when attempting to understand ourselves and others. Neural networks dedicated to memory, attachment, fear, imagination and executive control are discussed from a variety of perspectives including evolution, development and the effects of pathological states. The text provides examples of present and potential future applications of neuroscience to psychotherapy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Neuroscience-Psychotherapy-Interpersonal-Neurobiology/dp/0393703673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books & ie=UTF8 & qid=1336639767 & sr=1-1

Building means puting back what was missing and probably never there in the first place, and rebuilding means repairing what has been damaged. Unfortunate early life experiences, including damage that can occur when we are in the womb if our mothers are anxious or depressed, means parts of our brains may not fully develop properly which can lead to vulnerabilities to depression and anxiety later in life. But the great news is we can change some of this and go on to repair our brains. If you look at biographies of famous people you will often see people who have had a lifetime of unhappiness, depression, misery, alcohol and drug problems, and yet they go on to eventually find peace, happiness, and contentment.

Kv

Guest guest

I agree, Helena, and I work in psychiatry. Humankind has been ingesting or otherwise using various substances for a therapeutic effect for a very long time. In our culture, however, we have stirred that behavior in with a reverential obedience to scientific authority, and an unbalanced reliance on the medical model, as though there were hard boundaries between healthy and unhealthy behaviors. Not surprising that we are occasionally dissappointed. Balance is important.

D

I am truly sorry you had such a negative experience with psychiatrists and meds, Kaivey.  My experience was quite different and was very positive for me - but I went into it with my eyes wide open and I did not just buy into everything that was said just because he/she was a doctor.  People need to be careful and skeptical when working with any professional - it's your body, your brain.  

I think the profession is slowly realizing that drug treatment is not always - or usually - warranted, especially in kids.  I have a nephew who is learning-disabled and has Tourette's Syndrome and tics.  He has been pumped full of drugs all his young life.  He is now 21 and has weaned himself off them. He has less control of his tics and flare-ups of temper without the drugs, but he is learning how to manage those.  I'm proud of him.   

HelenaTo: " ACT for the Public " <ACT_for_the_Public >

Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:10:38 AMSubject: The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain

I put this out here before, but this one has the product description to the hardback version of the book which is much better. Below is the post I put no my PSSD site to cheer them up a litlle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi gang,

I just love the title to this book, but there is no need to buy it, just look at that subtitle.

Product Description

Recent neuroscience research reflects a new optimism concerning the ability of the brain to remain flexible and benefit from enriched environments throughout life. Psychotherapy is such an enriched environment, tailored to encourage the growth and integration of neural networks regulating memory, cognition, emotion and attachment. This text hypothesizes that all forms of psychotherapy - from psychoanalysis to behaviourism - are successful to the degree to which they enhance plasticity in relevant neural circuits. Many forms of psychotherapy, developed in the absence of any understanding of the brain, are now being supported by findings in neuroscience. The text suggests that the " unscientific " use of language and emotional attunement, for which psychotherapists are often criticized by those in the hard sciences, may actually provide the best medium for neural growth and integration. The basic premises are that the brain is an organ of adaptation which is first built by early interpersonal experiences and that psychotherapy creates an interpersonal matrix capable of rebuilding it. Written for psychotherapists and others interested in the relationship between the brain and behaviour, the primary goal of this text is to encourage us to consider the brain when attempting to understand ourselves and others. Neural networks dedicated to memory, attachment, fear, imagination and executive control are discussed from a variety of perspectives including evolution, development and the effects of pathological states. The text provides examples of present and potential future applications of neuroscience to psychotherapy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Neuroscience-Psychotherapy-Interpersonal-Neurobiology/dp/0393703673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books & ie=UTF8 & qid=1336639767 & sr=1-1

Building means puting back what was missing and probably never there in the first place, and rebuilding means repairing what has been damaged. Unfortunate early life experiences, including damage that can occur when we are in the womb if our mothers are anxious or depressed, means parts of our brains may not fully develop properly which can lead to vulnerabilities to depression and anxiety later in life. But the great news is we can change some of this and go on to repair our brains. If you look at biographies of famous people you will often see people who have had a lifetime of unhappiness, depression, misery, alcohol and drug problems, and yet they go on to eventually find peace, happiness, and contentment.   

Kv

-- Darrell G King, RN, CASAC-TRochester, NY, UShttp://darrellking.comDarrellGKing@...

Guest guest

hi DarrellIn my experience the medical model alone cannot work. Until I started to use the coping strategies in A CT any real progress was impossible. however research has determined that the best combination therapy and medication.Best wishes from FrancisTo: ACT_for_the_Public From: DarrellGKing@...Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 09:20:50 -0400Subject: Re: The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain

I agree, Helena, and I work in psychiatry. Humankind has been ingesting or otherwise using various substances for a therapeutic effect for a very long time. In our culture, however, we have stirred that behavior in with a reverential obedience to scientific authority, and an unbalanced reliance on the medical model, as though there were hard boundaries between healthy and unhealthy behaviors. Not surprising that we are occasionally dissappointed. Balance is important.

D

I am truly sorry you had such a negative experience with psychiatrists and meds, Kaivey. My experience was quite different and was very positive for me - but I went into it with my eyes wide open and I did not just buy into everything that was said just because he/she was a doctor. People need to be careful and skeptical when working with any professional - it's your body, your brain.

I think the profession is slowly realizing that drug treatment is not always - or usually - warranted, especially in kids. I have a nephew who is learning-disabled and has Tourette's Syndrome and tics. He has been pumped full of drugs all his young life. He is now 21 and has weaned himself off them. He has less control of his tics and flare-ups of temper without the drugs, but he is learning how to manage those. I'm proud of him.

HelenaTo: "ACT for the Public" <ACT_for_the_Public >

Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:10:38 AMSubject: The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human Brain

Hi gang,

I just love the title to this book, but there is no need to buy it, just look at that subtitle.

Product Description

Recent neuroscience research reflects a new optimism concerning the ability of the brain to remain flexible and benefit from enriched environments throughout life. Psychotherapy is such an enriched environment, tailored to encourage the growth and integration of neural networks regulating memory, cognition, emotion and attachment. This text hypothesizes that all forms of psychotherapy - from psychoanalysis to behaviourism - are successful to the degree to which they enhance plasticity in relevant neural circuits. Many forms of psychotherapy, developed in the absence of any understanding of the brain, are now being supported by findings in neuroscience. The text suggests that the "unscientific" use of language and emotional attunement, for which psychotherapists are often criticized by those in the hard sciences, may actually provide the best medium for neural growth and integration. The basic premises are that the brain is an organ of adaptation which is first built by early interpersonal experiences and that psychotherapy creates an interpersonal matrix capable of rebuilding it. Written for psychotherapists and others interested in the relationship between the brain and behaviour, the primary goal of this text is to encourage us to consider the brain when attempting to understand ourselves and others. Neural networks dedicated to memory, attachment, fear, imagination and executive control are discussed from a variety of perspectives including evolution, development and the effects of pathological states. The text provides examples of present and potential future applications of neuroscience to psychotherapy.

Building means puting back what was missing and probably never there in the first place, and rebuilding means repairing what has been damaged. Unfortunate early life experiences, including damage that can occur when we are in the womb if our mothers are anxious or depressed, means parts of our brains may not fully develop properly which can lead to vulnerabilities to depression and anxiety later in life. But the great news is we can change some of this and go on to repair our brains. If you look at biographies of famous people you will often see people who have had a lifetime of unhappiness, depression, misery, alcohol and drug problems, and yet they go on to eventually find peace, happiness, and contentment.

Kv

-- Darrell G King, RN, CASAC-TRochester, NY, UShttp://darrellking.comDarrellGKing@...

Guest guest

Very much on this theme and I'm guessing this has been brought up on the list

before - " Destructive Emotions: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama " . I

read it quite while back,. before I was introduced to ACT and found it both both

fascinating and very very encouraging. A record of a meeting between the Dalai

Lama and a small group of eminent psychologists, neuroscientists, and

philosophers it focuses particularly on measurable and substantial changes in

the brains of experienced meditators (as I remember).

http://www.amazon.com/Destructive-Emotions-Scientific-Dialogue-Dalai/dp/05538017\

I always get a lift when science backs up instinct, experience and knowing.

Anyone else read it?

Anne writing from deepest France.

>

>

> I put this out here before, but this one has the product description to

> the hardback version of the book which is much better. Below is the post

> I put no my PSSD site to cheer them up a litlle.

>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------\

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> Hi gang,

>

> I just love the title to this book, but there is no need to buy it, just

> look at that subtitle.

>

> The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Building and Rebuilding the Human

> Brain

> Product Description Recent neuroscience research reflects a new optimism

> concerning the ability of the brain to remain flexible and benefit from

> enriched environments throughout life. Psychotherapy is such an enriched

> environment, tailored to encourage the growth and integration of neural

> networks regulating memory, cognition, emotion and attachment. This text

> hypothesizes that all forms of psychotherapy - from psychoanalysis to

> behaviourism - are successful to the degree to which they enhance

> plasticity in relevant neural circuits. Many forms of psychotherapy,

> developed in the absence of any understanding of the brain, are now

> being supported by findings in neuroscience. The text suggests that the

> " unscientific " use of language and emotional attunement, for which

> psychotherapists are often criticized by those in the hard sciences, may

> actually provide the best medium for neural growth and integration. The

> basic premises are that the brain is an organ of adaptation which is

> first built by early interpersonal experiences and that psychotherapy

> creates an interpersonal matrix capable of rebuilding it. Written for

> psychotherapists and others interested in the relationship between the

> brain and behaviour, the primary goal of this text is to encourage us to

> consider the brain when attempting to understand ourselves and others.

> Neural networks dedicated to memory, attachment, fear, imagination and

> executive control are discussed from a variety of perspectives including

> evolution, development and the effects of pathological states. The text

> provides examples of present and potential future applications of

> neuroscience to psychotherapy.

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Neuroscience-Psychotherapy-Interpersonal-Neu\

> robiology/dp/0393703673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books & ie=UTF8 & qid=1336639767 & sr=1-1

> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Neuroscience-Psychotherapy-Interpersonal-Ne\

> urobiology/dp/0393703673/ref=sr_1_1?s=books & ie=UTF8 & qid=1336639767 & sr=1-\

> 1>

>

>

> Building means puting back what was missing and probably never there in

> the first place, and rebuilding means repairing what has been damaged.

> Unfortunate early life experiences, including damage that can occur when

> we are in the womb if our mothers are anxious or depressed, means parts

> of our brains may not fully develop properly which can lead to

> vulnerabilities to depression and anxiety later in life. But the great

> news is we can change some of this and go on to repair our brains. If

> you look at biographies of famous people you will often see people who

> have had a lifetime of unhappiness, depression, misery, alcohol and drug

> problems, and yet they go on to eventually find peace, happiness, and

> contentment.

>

> Kv

>