RemedySpot.com

What ever gets you through the night

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Whether it's Act, CBT, cocaine, heroin, booze, Oxy, Ritalin, Scientology, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, fairyism, santa clausism, wishful thinking, or any of the other helpmates we find and come to rely on, the question to ask is: Does it help?If the answer is yes, I say go for it. Life's too short to debate the pros and cons of one's point of view. If it helps you continue for a further 24 hours, good and well. Even if you don't care.Remember: extinction is forever. (Please ignore the following. If I were a US citizen, I would vote Democrat in the forthcoming election. I guess that's some indication of where my elusive values are.)Regards,Detlef

Guest guest

I pretty much disagree with you Detleif and if fact think you thinking is very dangerous.  I don't prescribed to your short term hedonism and doing what's gets your through the night.  The life I want to live is much more than about just getting through the next 24 hours.  That is main reason I'm interested in positive psychology and the positive psychology part of ACT.

(I am US citizen and will vote all Democrat in next election.  But that has more to do with my opposition to Republican party than being pro-Democrat.  That might give insight into my values)

Whether it's Act, CBT, cocaine, heroin, booze, Oxy, Ritalin, Scientology, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, fairyism, santa clausism, wishful thinking, or any of the other helpmates we find and come to rely on, the question to ask is: Does it help?

If the answer is yes, I say go for it. Life's too short to debate the pros and cons of one's point of view. If it helps you continue for a further 24 hours, good and well. Even if you don't care.

Remember: extinction is forever. (Please ignore the following. If I were a US citizen, I would vote Democrat in the forthcoming election. I guess that's some indication of where my elusive values are.)

Regards,Detlef

Guest guest

Sounds very Republican to me, Detlef.An unwillingness to forego something immediate and comfortable (like driving your car to the mailbox, filling the sky with greenhouse gases or rigging the political system to the advantage of you and your wealthy pals) or to examine whether your belief system squares with science or logic seems perfectly compatible with the ethos of " whatever gets you through the night (or the next election cycle) "

Just sayin' Jim

Guest guest

Sorry, that was too harsh. I've been in the position of wanting and seeking short-term fixes many, many times. (The iced tea I'm drinking now falls into that category). 

I know the pain that motivates that seeking. But having sampled my share of many of the substances you mentioned, I always found the short-term relief they brought me was followed by more pain later, requiring still more relief-seeking and round and round it goes. 

Best,Jim

Sounds very Republican to me, Detlef.An unwillingness to forego something immediate and comfortable (like driving your car to the mailbox, filling the sky with greenhouse gases or rigging the political system to the advantage of you and your wealthy pals) or to examine whether your belief system squares with science or logic seems perfectly compatible with the ethos of " whatever gets you through the night (or the next election cycle) "

Just sayin' Jim

Guest guest

The relief seeking sounds like, relief from Anxiety, or if you have ocd you do a Compulsion and (magic) Anxiety problem gone, Only temporary, until next worry/ obsession then you do another little compulsion and the Baby TIGER starts to grow...you can get rid of anxiety with ,achohol e.t.c or if you have ocd , a compulsion/ ritual. Give Anxiety a Chair .

Sent from Yahoo!7 Mail on Android

Jim ;

To:

<ACT_for_the_Public >;

Subject:

Re: What ever gets you through the night

Sent:

Fri, Jul 13, 2012 6:29:17 PM

Sorry, that was too harsh. I've been in the position of wanting and seeking short-term fixes many, many times. (The iced tea I'm drinking now falls into that category). 

I know the pain that motivates that seeking. But having sampled my share of many of the substances you mentioned, I always found the short-term relief they brought me was followed by more pain later, requiring still more relief-seeking and round and round it goes. 

Best,Jim

Just sayin' Jim

Guest guest

There is also the question of crisis management vs. valued living goals. it is quite acceptable to use a short-term strategy to survive a crisis before returning to the longer-term work. Linehan has built part of DBT around this concept.

DOn Friday, July 13, 2012, loqqy wrote:

The relief seeking sounds like, relief from Anxiety, or if you have ocd you do a Compulsion and (magic) Anxiety problem gone, Only temporary, until next worry/ obsession then you do another little compulsion and the Baby TIGER starts to grow...you can get rid of anxiety with ,achohol e.t.c or if you have ocd , a compulsion/ ritual. Give Anxiety a Chair .

Sent from Yahoo!7 Mail on Android

-- Darrell G King, RN, CASAC-TRochester, NY, UShttp://darrellking.comDarrellGKing@...