RemedySpot.com

Re: Social Anxiety-Public Speaking-ACT= My Journey:-)))))

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Congrat and best wishes for the final. Yupe u showed what was missing in me.all

this time i was intellucatizing ACT(new helpful passenger on my life bus ).

I got into another mind TRAP " should know things completely before taking

action " .

Guest guest

Congrat and best wishes for the final. Yupe u showed what was missing in me.all

this time i was intellucatizing ACT(new helpful passenger on my life bus ).

I got into another mind TRAP " should know things completely before taking

action " .

Guest guest

There are so much achievements written in this sharing, but I do not sense pride any sentence.I attribute this to the beauty of ACT for it's ability to transform pain and suffering into altruistic self-confidence that emanates humility.Thank you, , for this inspirational post which increases my commitment level, albeit just a tiny bit as I'm in the infancy period of recovery from a life time of negativities, towards a healthier mind.TC>> > > "Inhale Pain->Exhale Suffering ". For me, this is how I describe the goal of ACT.> > > > My favourite Act Mindfulness Exercise has always been the simplest> one, "WELCOME Anxiety, My Old Friend"J.> Depends on what emotions I get caught up in, I tweak the exercise, welcome> depression, my old friend. Welcome guilt, welcome fear etc. etc. > > WELCOME=MERELY OPENING UP TO THE EXPERIENCE IN IT'S RAWNESs= practicing> SELF-COMPASSION. > > > > Hi Group :-))))). I miss u all. I have had a bit of a Topsy Turby Life lately,> & have been waiting to share it with u all. Becoz u guys, Ur posts have> helped me soo much, as I can always relate to em in some way or the other, when> I read posts of someone talking about their failures, their immense pain, I can> absolutely remember all the times when I felt exactly the same way. & when> people talk about even their littlest progress, it confirms to me, that indeed> self-compassion is that invisible hand that can lift u back up, no matter how> many times we stumble or fall. > > > I am a highly experienced/clinically diagnosed Social> Anxiety SuffererJ,> who was a victim of Racism & Prejudice for years , hence developed extreme> fear of People especially Americans. > Having had me & my kids almost run over by someone, had random people cursing me & my boyz @> crowded places, "u fuc**** bit*ch, terrorist, get out my country" these were> amongst the worst ones, other, less harsh were almost on a regular basis when I> left home for earrins. There was a time not too long ago, when I was pleading> my husband to leave this country coz the fear had taken over my life. My worst day was when my boyz were very lil, I> ran out of diapers & milk, they were crying & irritable, my husband was> out of town, and I could not leave my room, let alone my house, from immense> fear of people. They cried themselves to sleep, & so did I, my life was> collapsing in front of my eyes, & I didn't know what to do. > > > Speaking in front of people> was OUT OF THE Question, I would have anxiety attacks just from being in the> same room with them. > > Today I have sooo many non-Muslim close friends, & > literally the no. keeps increasing by the day, & I am grateful for thatJ)))). When I learnt ACT> from being in M. Joann 's Anxiety Program, becoz of my horrible English> comprehension & communication skills, I don't know how much I absorbed the> 1st time @ Joann's, but what I knew was that ultimately ONLY I can walk> that road of life, & unless I actually physically take that 1st> step, & then the next, & then the next, I won't ever know what it's> like to be `walking'. So the committed actions part of ACT is perhaps the 1st> thing I got, & worked o. no matter how much or how little I understood of> ACT.> > > I joined Toastmasters International, becoz that was the> place where I could find the kind of people I feared the most (at least in my> city). Also that was the ideal platform for me to practice committed action, to> be able to get used to all those emotions that I was running from all those> years becoz I had labeled them as Neg. & UNBEARABLE. > > I hope to become an ACT Therapist someday, so in my case,> 180degree career shift. Since my boyz r too lil, I can't go back to school yet,> so I used Russ Action Plan (happiness trap) to plan some actions out for> myself. GOAL= ACT psychologist. VALUE= to be able to help people. Right now> what can I do in service of that value- Public speaking. I 1st> wanted to create awareness of how "normal" it is for humans to suffer, hence in> my humble opinion, no one can be defined by "a disorder". – So TM, felt like the ideal platform. > > > I did talks that were based on Russ 's ACT books & > several workshops in my Muslim community. On how I use ACT to deal with my own> struggles. I used The happiness trap as my bibleJ.> The 1st time I picked up a> book to read, after 2 decades, was 6 months back, the happiness trap, & > used a dictionary alongside, to be able to understand itJ. I needed to go through some> of Russ's books first, coz I was having difficulty trying to understand any> other act book> > > I was asked by my public speaking mentor to compete @ my> club for a compitition that would go up to International Level. I couldn't decide between topics, there were> sooo much mindfulness topics I was so passionate about, but the anxiety about> competing was building up, so I got Russ confidence gap, to help myself> FIRST…later, that actually became the topic of my contest speech. I won from my> club in both categories, speech and evaluation contest to proceed to Area> Contest (competing with diff. area clubs of LA). Then I won in Area Contest in> BOTH categories to compete in Division Contest. Then I won in BOTH categories> to compete in District Conference & contest (140 public speaking clubs).> This is where the evaluation contest would end, but speech would move on to> international level. I came 2nd in District Evaluation Contest,> & won 1st place in Speech Contest. Moving up to my last round,> which is the INTERNATIONAL Speech Convention in August in Florida, where the> best public speakers from diff. parts of the world will be coming to compete.> HOLY BALONY!!!!!!....> > Evaluation Contests r like giving impromptu speeches, I find them extremely> hard as English is not my mother tongue, but I came up to the farthest level> there being no. 1st in all> contests, & took home the 2nd place trophy @ the highest evaluation> contest level (district), so I am happy and grateful to be able to go this far.> By the way, my mentor said that at district level, I was the ONLY woman> competing, in BOTH categories, (International Speech & Evaluation). Not to> mention I was the only woman competing with All MEN J)and the least experienced> public speaker, being new to the club, & one who is a full time stay at> home mum, so not even a professional;-)> > > My speech topic was "narrowing the confidence gap"> completely inspired by everything I learnt & was applying from dr. Russ > book on building self-confidence. During> delivery, I saw tears in people's eyes, I spoke in a crowd of 250J, my vast experience is> speaking in front of a crowd of 2 (my boyz ;-). When I sat down, I had people> passing me notes, of how much they were inspired by my speech. Until now, I am> getting emails, from people, distinguished speakers, telling me how my story> touched their hearts. That's my valueJ> right there!!! = be able to reach out to people & connect with them…feels> fulfilling to be living by it. I have received invitations to come as guest> speaker to be able to inspire others…I am very excited. Someone emailed me that> I was quoted at another Public Speaking Contest that was going on at another> division. Everyone who has no clue about Psychotherapy, now knows the name Russ> , from my speech...heheJ))… & > ACT is a name that many r getting familiar with. > > > When I did my 1st contest @ my club, there was a> part of me that was tempted to somehow get a Xanax prescription to take one, so I could> "feel" the confidence & "enjoy" what> I was doing, & more chances of "wining" at the 1st level . But> then I realized, that my whole talk was based on the powerful quote, the> actions come 1st, feelings come later, I needed to show that to the> audience, that was the only way I could walk my talk. "Enjoy"? I could enjoy as much if I didn't attach all those neg. labels to> normal emotions of fear, anxiety, vulnerability, if I could open up to them,> perhaps that enjoyment would be much more fulfilling than the enjoyment that> comes from popping a pill and numbing myself to experiencing difficult> emotions. Then" the chances of winning"- what was this all about? My attachment> to some outcome, where is my value here? it's lost in the midst of a desired> goal . And there's no room for self-compassion anywhere her. SO I did my speech, with all those emotions being present,> & I WON. :-))) > When I did Area Contest, Division Contest, there was a part> of me that didn't want to open up like this , i was ashamed about having had social anxiety> disorder, i thought "what would people think". coz since as I was moving up,I was competing with highly qualified public> speakers, very confident men, & here I am , my entire speech is about my disorder & how i live with it. If Joann were here to testify she> would agree with me that MY BIGGEST > issue , the root of my problems, was that I `did not want to be> perceived as weak' and to me this was my BIGGEST challenge, showing> vulnerability . Then I went through brene browns lectures, & > that completely changed my perception on this emotion. Indeed it is the most> accurate measurement of courage, & is THE way to build meaningful connections> with people. What could be more courageous than opening up about all ur> weakness, & then showing some self-compassion towards urself for having> those weakness, which r NOT flaws, but simply QUALITIES that make us human? And I> couldn't believe how I used to be completely> wrong, coz today, I have had the most confident speakers, people who> I couldn't even imagine , saying they CONNECTED with me, & I brought tears> to their eyes.> > > If u guys c me during contests, my hands r always shaking,> sweating, cold, my whole body tremblesJ,> then I come up & CONNECT. > > I have had people who came to me to tell me how fantastic and CONFIDENT speaker I am, & shake my hands, & > they're like OMG ur hands ARE cold and clammy,> so it's true everything u said in ur speech …J > > I used to be ashamed to shake hands with people, coz I didn't want them to know> how nervous I always "FEEL", & now I make it a point to shake hands with> people, to show them HOW NERVOUS I ALWAYS "FEEL"J)> > > > > > We all experience pain, we all suffer from it, that's what> makes us Human, & that's what makes each one of us UNIQULY BEAUTIFUL. > What> would u do if u were to c someone suffer? CRITISIZE em? Belittle them? OR be> compassionate to em? Yup, SELF-COMPASSION.> It is, in my opinion, the antidote to all kinds of psychological suffering.> > > I am the ONLY anxiety> sufferer, CORRECTION, embracer ;-), amongst 100's of highly qualified, skilled> public speakers, who is about to go compete at the 4 day International Public> Speaking Convention, with people from all around the world. what tools do I> take along, NOTHING, people r shocked to learn that I have the least amt. of experience> & I made it this far. so NO TOOLS,> YET the MOST POWERFUL tools one can> take, tools that u don't need to look anywhere else for, that u already have,> IN U, we all do, were perhaps rusty from not practicing all these years, tools like - 1)self-compassion,2) embracing vulnerability,3)mindfulness-being full awake> to our experiences, 4) embracing our wholeness. this is all I have with me & > this is all I can bring to the table to share that day. > I have no chances of> winning, but once again, GREATchances of living by my values, this is my opportunity,> a platform where there will be how many hundreds of people I don't know, but to> be able to reach out and connect & touch em, that would be a great accomplishment.:-)> > > I always TRY TO remember to inhale pain, whenever it comes my way, that way I find> myself exhaling suffering, even if it's a small exhale, my period of suffering> is reducing none the less. I am not on any meds, & have not been for a long> time, ever since I discovered my breathe to be the greatest tranquilizer,> always always available at my disposal. J> When I have nothing else to be grateful for, I come back to my breathe and> realize, THIS is it! My life! The biggest thing I can be grateful for. What> more do I need. > > > I love this quote,> & say it out loud right b4 I leave for compitITions:""Paradoxically,> we achieve TRUE WHOLENESS only by embracing our fragility and sometimes, EVEN> our brokenness." ~ Jalaja Bonheim> > Miss u all, & > sincere apologies for this looooooooooooooooong thesis, as u can c, desperately need to take> some English Writing and Comprehension classes:-)))> > p.s. attaching a pic of my trophies , NOT to SHOW it, rather to SHARE it with ALL of u'll:-)))))))))))))))))))))))> > > -K Designs.> > > "" Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.> > That way, when you criticize them, you're already a mile away AND you have their> shoes." > ~ a very pious intellectual>

Guest guest

There are so much achievements written in this sharing, but I do not sense pride any sentence.I attribute this to the beauty of ACT for it's ability to transform pain and suffering into altruistic self-confidence that emanates humility.Thank you, , for this inspirational post which increases my commitment level, albeit just a tiny bit as I'm in the infancy period of recovery from a life time of negativities, towards a healthier mind.TC>> > > "Inhale Pain->Exhale Suffering ". For me, this is how I describe the goal of ACT.> > > > My favourite Act Mindfulness Exercise has always been the simplest> one, "WELCOME Anxiety, My Old Friend"J.> Depends on what emotions I get caught up in, I tweak the exercise, welcome> depression, my old friend. Welcome guilt, welcome fear etc. etc. > > WELCOME=MERELY OPENING UP TO THE EXPERIENCE IN IT'S RAWNESs= practicing> SELF-COMPASSION. > > > > Hi Group :-))))). I miss u all. I have had a bit of a Topsy Turby Life lately,> & have been waiting to share it with u all. Becoz u guys, Ur posts have> helped me soo much, as I can always relate to em in some way or the other, when> I read posts of someone talking about their failures, their immense pain, I can> absolutely remember all the times when I felt exactly the same way. & when> people talk about even their littlest progress, it confirms to me, that indeed> self-compassion is that invisible hand that can lift u back up, no matter how> many times we stumble or fall. > > > I am a highly experienced/clinically diagnosed Social> Anxiety SuffererJ,> who was a victim of Racism & Prejudice for years , hence developed extreme> fear of People especially Americans. > Having had me & my kids almost run over by someone, had random people cursing me & my boyz @> crowded places, "u fuc**** bit*ch, terrorist, get out my country" these were> amongst the worst ones, other, less harsh were almost on a regular basis when I> left home for earrins. There was a time not too long ago, when I was pleading> my husband to leave this country coz the fear had taken over my life. My worst day was when my boyz were very lil, I> ran out of diapers & milk, they were crying & irritable, my husband was> out of town, and I could not leave my room, let alone my house, from immense> fear of people. They cried themselves to sleep, & so did I, my life was> collapsing in front of my eyes, & I didn't know what to do. > > > Speaking in front of people> was OUT OF THE Question, I would have anxiety attacks just from being in the> same room with them. > > Today I have sooo many non-Muslim close friends, & > literally the no. keeps increasing by the day, & I am grateful for thatJ)))). When I learnt ACT> from being in M. Joann 's Anxiety Program, becoz of my horrible English> comprehension & communication skills, I don't know how much I absorbed the> 1st time @ Joann's, but what I knew was that ultimately ONLY I can walk> that road of life, & unless I actually physically take that 1st> step, & then the next, & then the next, I won't ever know what it's> like to be `walking'. So the committed actions part of ACT is perhaps the 1st> thing I got, & worked o. no matter how much or how little I understood of> ACT.> > > I joined Toastmasters International, becoz that was the> place where I could find the kind of people I feared the most (at least in my> city). Also that was the ideal platform for me to practice committed action, to> be able to get used to all those emotions that I was running from all those> years becoz I had labeled them as Neg. & UNBEARABLE. > > I hope to become an ACT Therapist someday, so in my case,> 180degree career shift. Since my boyz r too lil, I can't go back to school yet,> so I used Russ Action Plan (happiness trap) to plan some actions out for> myself. GOAL= ACT psychologist. VALUE= to be able to help people. Right now> what can I do in service of that value- Public speaking. I 1st> wanted to create awareness of how "normal" it is for humans to suffer, hence in> my humble opinion, no one can be defined by "a disorder". – So TM, felt like the ideal platform. > > > I did talks that were based on Russ 's ACT books & > several workshops in my Muslim community. On how I use ACT to deal with my own> struggles. I used The happiness trap as my bibleJ.> The 1st time I picked up a> book to read, after 2 decades, was 6 months back, the happiness trap, & > used a dictionary alongside, to be able to understand itJ. I needed to go through some> of Russ's books first, coz I was having difficulty trying to understand any> other act book> > > I was asked by my public speaking mentor to compete @ my> club for a compitition that would go up to International Level. I couldn't decide between topics, there were> sooo much mindfulness topics I was so passionate about, but the anxiety about> competing was building up, so I got Russ confidence gap, to help myself> FIRST…later, that actually became the topic of my contest speech. I won from my> club in both categories, speech and evaluation contest to proceed to Area> Contest (competing with diff. area clubs of LA). Then I won in Area Contest in> BOTH categories to compete in Division Contest. Then I won in BOTH categories> to compete in District Conference & contest (140 public speaking clubs).> This is where the evaluation contest would end, but speech would move on to> international level. I came 2nd in District Evaluation Contest,> & won 1st place in Speech Contest. Moving up to my last round,> which is the INTERNATIONAL Speech Convention in August in Florida, where the> best public speakers from diff. parts of the world will be coming to compete.> HOLY BALONY!!!!!!....> > Evaluation Contests r like giving impromptu speeches, I find them extremely> hard as English is not my mother tongue, but I came up to the farthest level> there being no. 1st in all> contests, & took home the 2nd place trophy @ the highest evaluation> contest level (district), so I am happy and grateful to be able to go this far.> By the way, my mentor said that at district level, I was the ONLY woman> competing, in BOTH categories, (International Speech & Evaluation). Not to> mention I was the only woman competing with All MEN J)and the least experienced> public speaker, being new to the club, & one who is a full time stay at> home mum, so not even a professional;-)> > > My speech topic was "narrowing the confidence gap"> completely inspired by everything I learnt & was applying from dr. Russ > book on building self-confidence. During> delivery, I saw tears in people's eyes, I spoke in a crowd of 250J, my vast experience is> speaking in front of a crowd of 2 (my boyz ;-). When I sat down, I had people> passing me notes, of how much they were inspired by my speech. Until now, I am> getting emails, from people, distinguished speakers, telling me how my story> touched their hearts. That's my valueJ> right there!!! = be able to reach out to people & connect with them…feels> fulfilling to be living by it. I have received invitations to come as guest> speaker to be able to inspire others…I am very excited. Someone emailed me that> I was quoted at another Public Speaking Contest that was going on at another> division. Everyone who has no clue about Psychotherapy, now knows the name Russ> , from my speech...heheJ))… & > ACT is a name that many r getting familiar with. > > > When I did my 1st contest @ my club, there was a> part of me that was tempted to somehow get a Xanax prescription to take one, so I could> "feel" the confidence & "enjoy" what> I was doing, & more chances of "wining" at the 1st level . But> then I realized, that my whole talk was based on the powerful quote, the> actions come 1st, feelings come later, I needed to show that to the> audience, that was the only way I could walk my talk. "Enjoy"? I could enjoy as much if I didn't attach all those neg. labels to> normal emotions of fear, anxiety, vulnerability, if I could open up to them,> perhaps that enjoyment would be much more fulfilling than the enjoyment that> comes from popping a pill and numbing myself to experiencing difficult> emotions. Then" the chances of winning"- what was this all about? My attachment> to some outcome, where is my value here? it's lost in the midst of a desired> goal . And there's no room for self-compassion anywhere her. SO I did my speech, with all those emotions being present,> & I WON. :-))) > When I did Area Contest, Division Contest, there was a part> of me that didn't want to open up like this , i was ashamed about having had social anxiety> disorder, i thought "what would people think". coz since as I was moving up,I was competing with highly qualified public> speakers, very confident men, & here I am , my entire speech is about my disorder & how i live with it. If Joann were here to testify she> would agree with me that MY BIGGEST > issue , the root of my problems, was that I `did not want to be> perceived as weak' and to me this was my BIGGEST challenge, showing> vulnerability . Then I went through brene browns lectures, & > that completely changed my perception on this emotion. Indeed it is the most> accurate measurement of courage, & is THE way to build meaningful connections> with people. What could be more courageous than opening up about all ur> weakness, & then showing some self-compassion towards urself for having> those weakness, which r NOT flaws, but simply QUALITIES that make us human? And I> couldn't believe how I used to be completely> wrong, coz today, I have had the most confident speakers, people who> I couldn't even imagine , saying they CONNECTED with me, & I brought tears> to their eyes.> > > If u guys c me during contests, my hands r always shaking,> sweating, cold, my whole body tremblesJ,> then I come up & CONNECT. > > I have had people who came to me to tell me how fantastic and CONFIDENT speaker I am, & shake my hands, & > they're like OMG ur hands ARE cold and clammy,> so it's true everything u said in ur speech …J > > I used to be ashamed to shake hands with people, coz I didn't want them to know> how nervous I always "FEEL", & now I make it a point to shake hands with> people, to show them HOW NERVOUS I ALWAYS "FEEL"J)> > > > > > We all experience pain, we all suffer from it, that's what> makes us Human, & that's what makes each one of us UNIQULY BEAUTIFUL. > What> would u do if u were to c someone suffer? CRITISIZE em? Belittle them? OR be> compassionate to em? Yup, SELF-COMPASSION.> It is, in my opinion, the antidote to all kinds of psychological suffering.> > > I am the ONLY anxiety> sufferer, CORRECTION, embracer ;-), amongst 100's of highly qualified, skilled> public speakers, who is about to go compete at the 4 day International Public> Speaking Convention, with people from all around the world. what tools do I> take along, NOTHING, people r shocked to learn that I have the least amt. of experience> & I made it this far. so NO TOOLS,> YET the MOST POWERFUL tools one can> take, tools that u don't need to look anywhere else for, that u already have,> IN U, we all do, were perhaps rusty from not practicing all these years, tools like - 1)self-compassion,2) embracing vulnerability,3)mindfulness-being full awake> to our experiences, 4) embracing our wholeness. this is all I have with me & > this is all I can bring to the table to share that day. > I have no chances of> winning, but once again, GREATchances of living by my values, this is my opportunity,> a platform where there will be how many hundreds of people I don't know, but to> be able to reach out and connect & touch em, that would be a great accomplishment.:-)> > > I always TRY TO remember to inhale pain, whenever it comes my way, that way I find> myself exhaling suffering, even if it's a small exhale, my period of suffering> is reducing none the less. I am not on any meds, & have not been for a long> time, ever since I discovered my breathe to be the greatest tranquilizer,> always always available at my disposal. J> When I have nothing else to be grateful for, I come back to my breathe and> realize, THIS is it! My life! The biggest thing I can be grateful for. What> more do I need. > > > I love this quote,> & say it out loud right b4 I leave for compitITions:""Paradoxically,> we achieve TRUE WHOLENESS only by embracing our fragility and sometimes, EVEN> our brokenness." ~ Jalaja Bonheim> > Miss u all, & > sincere apologies for this looooooooooooooooong thesis, as u can c, desperately need to take> some English Writing and Comprehension classes:-)))> > p.s. attaching a pic of my trophies , NOT to SHOW it, rather to SHARE it with ALL of u'll:-)))))))))))))))))))))))> > > -K Designs.> > > "" Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.> > That way, when you criticize them, you're already a mile away AND you have their> shoes." > ~ a very pious intellectual>

Guest guest

>

>

>

> " Inhale Pain->Exhale Suffering " . For me, this is how I describe the goal of

ACT.

>

>

>

> My favourite Act Mindfulness Exercise has always been the simplest

> one, " WELCOME Anxiety, My Old Friend " J.

> Depends on what emotions I get caught up in, I tweak the exercise, welcome

> depression, my old friend. Welcome guilt, welcome fear etc. etc.

Hi

I remembered seeing your post appear a few days ago but not having a chance to

read it (I had been wondering about you as hadn't seen anything by you in quite

a while). So I just read it and hooley dooley what a post. You are REALLY LIVING

. I had such tears of joy and compassion and admiration for you reading

what you've been up to and what you've achieved. Your experience would make an

amazing film that would reach even more people. I am so regretful of the racism

you and your family have experienced...examples of people not owning their fear

and spraying it all over you.

I've just finished reading 'Does My Head Look Big In This?' by Randa

Abdel-Fattah, about a young Muslim woman's high school experience here in

Australia surrounding her decision to wear the hijab full time, and I learnt a

lot. I so wish it were part of the school curriculum here.

Thank you for all that you're doing. You are so walking against the flow of

'mental health oppression' every time you welcome in the pain and show people

that vulnerability is your strength (well, one of them). I eagerly anticipate

the next chapter of your story.

Love

Guest guest

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH my dear , , & Rajesh:-))))))Your wonderful emails, support and words of encouragement means A LOOOOT TO ME. @ , u know in 1 of my workshops i did for the Muslim Community, 1 person asked me, did u wish u didn't go through all those yrs of suffeering from racism & prejudice. And i immediately said, NO! i am greatful for that expereince , becoz i wouldn't have learnt the true meaning of embarcing my life, with all my imperfections, embracing my life, despite what pain inevitably comes my way, if it weren't for all those years of LEARNING. I am done with all the local competitions, Now, that i am represening the nation, to compete internationally, it's wonderful to have sooooooo much support from soo many Americans here in LA, . I am extremely excited & nervous too, as i will be the only Hijabi woman competing Internationally. I will surely keep u, & the club up to date with everything, right now i havta go around LA giving speeches @ diff. events, clubs, open houses. if i were to make a hierchy of my fears , then what i will be doing in the next 2 months , is literally hitting THE VERY TOP of the hierchy:-)))))). But i am extremely greatful to have a platform where i can practice all the ACT/Mindfulness tools i have been studying day and night. Becoz there is only so far we can reach from all the in depth knowledge we gain from doing all the readings about ACT. From personal expreince, a different kind, a much deeper sense of 'knowing' comes from 'living' ACT. And i hope to be able to always find oppurtunites in my life, where i can practise 'living' ACT.Take Care , , and Rajesh. And once again i thank you:-)))P.S. , i live in Los Angeles, CA. & in August 18-21 i will be in Orlando Florida, that's where the International Conference will be this Year. And if u r in these cities, during that time, i would absolutely looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove to meet u:-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) -K Designs."" Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're already a mile away AND you have their

shoes." ~ a very pious intellectualTo: ACT_for_the_Public From: warriorprincessz@...Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 23:23:19 +0000Subject: Re: Social Anxiety-Public Speaking-ACT= My Journey:-)))))

>

>

>

> "Inhale Pain->Exhale Suffering ". For me, this is how I describe the goal of ACT.

>

>

>

> My favourite Act Mindfulness Exercise has always been the simplest

> one, "WELCOME Anxiety, My Old Friend"J.

> Depends on what emotions I get caught up in, I tweak the exercise, welcome

> depression, my old friend. Welcome guilt, welcome fear etc. etc.

Hi

I remembered seeing your post appear a few days ago but not having a chance to read it (I had been wondering about you as hadn't seen anything by you in quite a while). So I just read it and hooley dooley what a post. You are REALLY LIVING . I had such tears of joy and compassion and admiration for you reading what you've been up to and what you've achieved. Your experience would make an amazing film that would reach even more people. I am so regretful of the racism you and your family have experienced...examples of people not owning their fear and spraying it all over you.

I've just finished reading 'Does My Head Look Big In This?' by Randa Abdel-Fattah, about a young Muslim woman's high school experience here in Australia surrounding her decision to wear the hijab full time, and I learnt a lot. I so wish it were part of the school curriculum here.

Thank you for all that you're doing. You are so walking against the flow of 'mental health oppression' every time you welcome in the pain and show people that vulnerability is your strength (well, one of them). I eagerly anticipate the next chapter of your story.

Love