RemedySpot.com

Re: Transactional Analysis

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A quick ps. My latest trawls have spawned people offering "Gestalt Therapy" and "humanist approaches". Mindboggling. I think you can forget my last question, I think I'll go with whoever sounds nicest on the phone! Cheers, x From: Robson

To: "act_for_the_public " <act_for_the_public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:07 Subject: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills. Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to

support / reject it, I would be

interested. (I am probably getting hung up on the type of therapy. I imagine that most of the benefit of therapy is nothing to do with the precise nature of the therapy, but in the relationship and support provided in the interaction with a therapist.) Cheers, sorry if this continues to skirt around off-topic areas x

Guest guest

A quick ps. My latest trawls have spawned people offering "Gestalt Therapy" and "humanist approaches". Mindboggling. I think you can forget my last question, I think I'll go with whoever sounds nicest on the phone! Cheers, x From: Robson

To: "act_for_the_public " <act_for_the_public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:07 Subject: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills. Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to

support / reject it, I would be

interested. (I am probably getting hung up on the type of therapy. I imagine that most of the benefit of therapy is nothing to do with the precise nature of the therapy, but in the relationship and support provided in the interaction with a therapist.) Cheers, sorry if this continues to skirt around off-topic areas x

Guest guest

Hi ,Not much to offer, I'm afraid, in terms of answering your questions about types of therapies - but I'm wondering what you mean when you say that you are now "worse off then when I started with ACT..." I get that you're not 'blaming' ACT but seem to be saying you need further help. How does being worse off manifest itself - particularly in terms of your ability to live your life according to your values (which you seem to have articulated fairly well)? Thanks,HelenaTo: "act for the public" <act_for_the_public >Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:07:21 AMSubject: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills. Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support / reject it, I would be

Guest guest

Hi ,Not much to offer, I'm afraid, in terms of answering your questions about types of therapies - but I'm wondering what you mean when you say that you are now "worse off then when I started with ACT..." I get that you're not 'blaming' ACT but seem to be saying you need further help. How does being worse off manifest itself - particularly in terms of your ability to live your life according to your values (which you seem to have articulated fairly well)? Thanks,HelenaTo: "act for the public" <act_for_the_public >Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:07:21 AMSubject: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills. Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support / reject it, I would be

Guest guest

Hi Helena I can't work. I take my work very seriously (perhaps too seriously) and I really value my work ethic. I tried very, very hard at staying in work, but ultimately I was no use to anyone, I couldn't be trusted to meet people without being able to control my emotions, and I was making myself worse. My boss and I tried ways of keeping me in work, but it didn't work out. I don't know how long I will be off sick, and whilst I am keeping myself busy, I want to be well enough to return to my job and career. (Now I am off work, I feel quite a bit more stable, which is a big positive). I am disappointed that my ACT skills did

not allow me to stay in work. I had built up a strong belief that through - acceptance and defusion - there was nothing that could stop me from taking action towards my values, even if I felt crappy whilst doing them. This turns out not to be the case in some instances: the cage is not always made out of paper. Thanks for taking an interest x To: ACT for the Public <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:39 Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills. Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support

/ reject it, I would be

Guest guest

Hi Helena I can't work. I take my work very seriously (perhaps too seriously) and I really value my work ethic. I tried very, very hard at staying in work, but ultimately I was no use to anyone, I couldn't be trusted to meet people without being able to control my emotions, and I was making myself worse. My boss and I tried ways of keeping me in work, but it didn't work out. I don't know how long I will be off sick, and whilst I am keeping myself busy, I want to be well enough to return to my job and career. (Now I am off work, I feel quite a bit more stable, which is a big positive). I am disappointed that my ACT skills did

not allow me to stay in work. I had built up a strong belief that through - acceptance and defusion - there was nothing that could stop me from taking action towards my values, even if I felt crappy whilst doing them. This turns out not to be the case in some instances: the cage is not always made out of paper. Thanks for taking an interest x To: ACT for the Public <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:39 Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills. Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support

/ reject it, I would be

Guest guest

Hi -

Maybe you have too many expectations of yourself and ACT? I find it really liberating to drop all expectations about anything!

Also, have you thought of doing an online CBT course - there are quite a few out there such as Moodjuice, Moodgym, Living Life to the Full and Beating The Blues. ( Nice approved) Your GP should be able to refer you if needed.

Good Luck

Simone

To: "ACT_for_the_Public " <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 13:04Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi Helena

I can't work. I take my work very seriously (perhaps too seriously) and I really value my work ethic. I tried very, very hard at staying in work, but ultimately I was no use to anyone, I couldn't be trusted to meet people without being able to control my emotions, and I was making myself worse. My boss and I tried ways of keeping me in work, but it didn't work out. I don't know how long I will be off sick, and whilst I am keeping myself busy, I want to be well enough to return to my job and career.

(Now I am off work, I feel quite a bit more stable, which is a big positive).

I am disappointed that my ACT skills did not allow me to stay in work. I had built up a strong belief that through - acceptance and defusion - there was nothing that could stop me from taking action towards my values, even if I felt crappy whilst doing them. This turns out not to be the case in some instances: the cage is not always made out of paper.

Thanks for taking an interest

x

To: ACT for the Public <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:39Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi ,

Not much to offer, I'm afraid, in terms of answering your questions about types of therapies - but I'm wondering what you mean when you say that you are now "worse off then when I started with ACT..." I get that you're not 'blaming' ACT but seem to be saying you need further help. How does being worse off manifest itself - particularly in terms of your ability to live your life according to your values (which you seem to have articulated fairly well)?

Thanks,

Helena

To: "act for the public" <act_for_the_public >Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:07:21 AMSubject: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills.

Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support / reject it, I would be interested.

(I am probably getting hung up on the type of therapy. I imagine that most of the benefit of therapy is nothing to do with the precise nature of the therapy, but in the relationship and support provided in the interaction with a therapist.)

Cheers, sorry if this continues to skirt around off-topic areas

x

Guest guest

Hi -

Maybe you have too many expectations of yourself and ACT? I find it really liberating to drop all expectations about anything!

Also, have you thought of doing an online CBT course - there are quite a few out there such as Moodjuice, Moodgym, Living Life to the Full and Beating The Blues. ( Nice approved) Your GP should be able to refer you if needed.

Good Luck

Simone

To: "ACT_for_the_Public " <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 13:04Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi Helena

I can't work. I take my work very seriously (perhaps too seriously) and I really value my work ethic. I tried very, very hard at staying in work, but ultimately I was no use to anyone, I couldn't be trusted to meet people without being able to control my emotions, and I was making myself worse. My boss and I tried ways of keeping me in work, but it didn't work out. I don't know how long I will be off sick, and whilst I am keeping myself busy, I want to be well enough to return to my job and career.

I am disappointed that my ACT skills did not allow me to stay in work. I had built up a strong belief that through - acceptance and defusion - there was nothing that could stop me from taking action towards my values, even if I felt crappy whilst doing them. This turns out not to be the case in some instances: the cage is not always made out of paper.

x

To: ACT for the Public <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:39Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi ,

Not much to offer, I'm afraid, in terms of answering your questions about types of therapies - but I'm wondering what you mean when you say that you are now "worse off then when I started with ACT..." I get that you're not 'blaming' ACT but seem to be saying you need further help. How does being worse off manifest itself - particularly in terms of your ability to live your life according to your values (which you seem to have articulated fairly well)?

Thanks,

Helena

To: "act for the public" <act_for_the_public >Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 6:07:21 AMSubject: Transactional Analysis

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into. ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills.

Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis. I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now. Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT. If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support / reject it, I would be interested.

(I am probably getting hung up on the type of therapy. I imagine that most of the benefit of therapy is nothing to do with the precise nature of the therapy, but in the relationship and support provided in the interaction with a therapist.)

x

Guest guest

Thanks, yes my work has an online CBT course (one of the perks of working for a big employer - a good occupational health service!) which is useful practice and a good reminder. My employer also runs meditation and minfulness classes which were nice and relaxing. I don't feel overly burdened by expectations, although I will reflect on that now you've said it. I do expect to be able to work, and I would hate to be someone who felt it was OK not to be in work. That's just not me! Thanks, Simone x To: "ACT_for_the_Public " <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 13:20 Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi -

Good Luck

Simone

Hi Helena

x

Hi ,

Thanks,

Helena

x

Guest guest

Thanks, yes my work has an online CBT course (one of the perks of working for a big employer - a good occupational health service!) which is useful practice and a good reminder. My employer also runs meditation and minfulness classes which were nice and relaxing. I don't feel overly burdened by expectations, although I will reflect on that now you've said it. I do expect to be able to work, and I would hate to be someone who felt it was OK not to be in work. That's just not me! Thanks, Simone x To: "ACT_for_the_Public " <ACT_for_the_Public > Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 13:20 Subject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi -

Good Luck

Simone

Hi Helena

x

Hi ,

Thanks,

Helena

x

Guest guest

Thanks, . I knew you were taking some time off work but didn't realize how debilitating your 'symptoms' were. I think Simone is spot on about too-high expectations - and I know YOU know that is key - but how to translate that knowledge into living your life according to your values without letting the anxiety-monster steer your bus is another issue that mere 'knowing' doesn't address. I'm glad you have the opportunity to take some time off to get some perspective, and it's great that your boss is understanding. I hope you'll keep us posted about your progress, whether it is directly ACT-related or not. We are multi-faceted human beings and not one-size-fits-all creatures when it comes to therapies.

In my opinion, you are not sick, . Just because you are taking time off to deal with some personal challenges around your emotions does not mean you are sick. I'm sure your company must need some sort of medical diagnosis to give you time-off benefits; but don't buy into the label. Just my opinion, for what it's worth : )

Helena

To: "ACT for the Public" <ACT_for_the_Public >Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:04:03 AMSubject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi Helena

x

Hi ,

Thanks,

Helena

x

Guest guest

Thanks, . I knew you were taking some time off work but didn't realize how debilitating your 'symptoms' were. I think Simone is spot on about too-high expectations - and I know YOU know that is key - but how to translate that knowledge into living your life according to your values without letting the anxiety-monster steer your bus is another issue that mere 'knowing' doesn't address. I'm glad you have the opportunity to take some time off to get some perspective, and it's great that your boss is understanding. I hope you'll keep us posted about your progress, whether it is directly ACT-related or not. We are multi-faceted human beings and not one-size-fits-all creatures when it comes to therapies.

In my opinion, you are not sick, . Just because you are taking time off to deal with some personal challenges around your emotions does not mean you are sick. I'm sure your company must need some sort of medical diagnosis to give you time-off benefits; but don't buy into the label. Just my opinion, for what it's worth : )

Helena

To: "ACT for the Public" <ACT_for_the_Public >Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:04:03 AMSubject: Re: Transactional Analysis

Hi Helena

x

Hi ,

Thanks,

Helena

x

Guest guest

Not as frivolous as it might sound, : many studies have supported the positive correlation between client-therapist rapport and client improvement. Of course the modality is important, but I believe that it is equally important that your feelings of trust and respect are present as well.

DOn Wednesday, July 11, 2012, Robson wrote:

A quick ps.  My latest trawls have spawned people offering " Gestalt Therapy " and " humanist approaches " .  Mindboggling.

I think you can forget my last question, I think I'll go with whoever sounds nicest on the phone! Cheers, x

From:  Robson To:  " act_for_the_public " <act_for_the_public > 

Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:07Subject:  Transactional Analysis 

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into.  ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills.

Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis.  I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now.  Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT.  If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support / reject it, I would be interested.

(I am probably getting hung up on the type of therapy.  I imagine that most of the benefit of therapy is nothing to do with the precise nature of the therapy, but in the relationship and support provided in the interaction with a therapist.)

Cheers, sorry if this continues to skirt around off-topic areas  x

-- Darrell G King, RN, CASAC-TRochester, NY, UShttp://darrellking.comDarrellGKing@...

Guest guest

Not as frivolous as it might sound, : many studies have supported the positive correlation between client-therapist rapport and client improvement. Of course the modality is important, but I believe that it is equally important that your feelings of trust and respect are present as well.

A quick ps.  My latest trawls have spawned people offering " Gestalt Therapy " and " humanist approaches " .  Mindboggling.

I think you can forget my last question, I think I'll go with whoever sounds nicest on the phone! Cheers, x

From:  Robson To:  " act_for_the_public " <act_for_the_public > 

Sent: Wednesday, 11 July 2012, 11:07Subject:  Transactional Analysis 

I am still in a hunt for private therapy, trying to see if something none-CBT might be worth looking into.  ACT has given me a lot of mileage, but I have to acknowledge that I am now worse than when I started with ACT (and conventional CBT before it), and maybe I need something else in my armoury to supplement ACT skills.

Some of the therapists I have contacted (or when I looked on their website) talk a fair bit about transactional analysis.  I vaguely remember a book on my parents' bookshelf (I'm OK, you're OK???) but not sure if it is completely de-bunked now.  Is this something that is likely to clash horribly with what I've learnt from ACT.  If anyone had a view on what the evidence says to support / reject it, I would be interested.

(I am probably getting hung up on the type of therapy.  I imagine that most of the benefit of therapy is nothing to do with the precise nature of the therapy, but in the relationship and support provided in the interaction with a therapist.)

Cheers, sorry if this continues to skirt around off-topic areas  x

-- Darrell G King, RN, CASAC-TRochester, NY, UShttp://darrellking.comDarrellGKing@...

Guest guest

Sometimes I feel it is too bad that meditation has gotten the reputation as a relaxation exercise. Not that I mind relaxing, but there is so much more to it! So much suffering comes from resisting reality, or from overlaying reality with stories of worry or regret. To see the world acceptingly as it is, including mental stories, is a main desired outcome for a meditation practice.

I hope you keep your practice going, . 

Thanks, yes my work has an online CBT course (one of the perks of working for a big employer - a good occupational health service!) which is useful practice and a good reminder.  My employer also runs meditation and minfulness classes which were nice and relaxing.

I don't feel overly burdened by expectations, although I will reflect on that now you've said it.  I do expect to be able to work, and I would hate to be someone who felt it was OK not to be in work.  That's just not me!

Thanks, Simone  x