RemedySpot.com

Re: Consultation-With Cardiologist & Urologist.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

He did not say surgery is the only options. He did confer with me my options. Life is a gamble, and I do not want surgery. What am I suppose to do just wait until this dam cancer decides to see what the other body parts of mine see. Like I said I can always refuse surgery. I will not have the pellets, I will not have radiation as I live 100 miles from the nearest site where I can meet with an oconologist.

(snip re: not wanting surgery)> Sorry for venting like I did, but just wanted you to know what is> about to happen to me. Who knows, I may get off the operating table> before they give me the "twilight shot"..lolAnd who is the PCa God who said that surgery is the only option?I say it isn't. And I'm far from godlike.This situation might very well advance to a critical stage. Or not. No urologist (who is likely only a surgeon) will be able to judge.I recommend referral to the encyclopedic and authoritative website of the Prostate Cancer Research Institute (PCRI) at http://prostate-cancer.org/index.html and starting with the education section at http://prostate-cancer.org/education/education.htmlThe choice can be made only once, and there is no "do-over," only salvage treatment (tx). Salvage!So we patients should study, learn, take charge, and select that tx which we believe will give us the greatest likelihood of a good outcome.And nothing is guaranteed. Nothing.Regards,Steve J"As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of the decisions we make withregard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate data."-- L. "Snuffy" Myers, MDMedical oncologist. PCa survivor.> > Thanks for your time. Rody_o i.e. BOB> > > >

Bob,

Have you considered proton beam therapy (or even IMRT) as an

alternative to surgery?

If you want to end you state of denial in a more friendly way to your

body, in my opinion, starting on a four to six months protocol of ADT

like Lupron will provide you a " breathing space " to consider your

other options.

Fuller

-----------------------------------------------

>

> Hi Guys:

>

> Just been observing questions and answers lately but yesterday I

went

> to see my Urologist as it was for my " active survellence (sp).

> My PSA has more than doubled over the past three years, or maybe

> more.

> The lowest was a 2.2. When it got to 4.2 biopsy's was taken with a

> one core cancer cell with a 5% involvement. Six months later

another

> biop was taken and it was a 20% involvement with a Gleason of

> 4+3.That is what it was on the previous biop.I was diagnoised about

> four years ago, or maybe a little less. I have been on " active

> survellience " for over two years, going on three. My Urologist, and

> Cardiologist knows I never wanted surgery, as I was in denial and

> thought I could live long enough before the cancer matasizied.

> I felt very confortable speaking with my Doctor yesterday. He told

me

> that if I have relvalations about what we talked about, and I want

> you to be comfortable with what I have mentioned. No, he did not

> say " , here is what you should do " . THE DECISION IS YOURS " .

> I know that you do not want surgery. I will say this however; the

one

> core cancer cell is in curable stage, and with your PSA rising,

which

> has more than doubled it maybe time for treatment, in so many words.

> He knows that i have read, and read about this condition. He was

> shocked when I mentioned the de'Vince (sp) procedure. I even told

him

> what stage I was in, and told him to ask me another question. LOL

>

> In my mind I was in total denial. I actually thought I could out

last

> this cancer, and live to a ripe old age. And maybe I could have,

and

> he admitted that is a good statement. But do I want to take this

> chance. Just remember if you are not comfortable with this possible

> surgery, forget it.

>

> Wednesday I have to have some stress testing, and a nuculur(sp)

> fusion done, along with scanning, pictures, and just to make sure

my

> heart can stand a four hour procedure.

> They are worried about my Antrial Fibulation, my past problems with

> surgeries, my accute anxiety & depression. He does not want me

> uptight. The four hours being put out is my main concern.

>

> Jon, as you know I did not want to have surgery. And trying not to

be

> selfish, if I had no family, no grandkids, I would ride this out. I

> will be 67 on Feb. 28th.

>

> Sorry for venting like I did, but just wanted you to know what is

> about to happen to me. Who knows, I may get off the operating table

> before they give me the " twilight shot " ..lol

>

> Thanks for your time. Rody_o i.e. BOB

>

Where are you located, Bob? Do you have Medicare?

If I may ask, why not seeds? Is there some physical problem?

100 Miles of travel and the related expenses may be a small price to

pay in the big scheme of things!

The previously mentioned ADT regimen will give you time to sort all

this out. Given your anxiety (and this is perfectly understandable)

anything to help you get in a better frame of mind will help to make

a decision that may be more " right for you. "

As was said, you only get to do this correctly once.

Fuller

>

> He did not say surgery is the only options. He did confer with me

my options. Life is a gamble, and I do not want surgery. What am I

suppose to do just wait until this dam cancer decides to see what the

other body parts of mine see. Like I said I can always refuse

surgery. I will not have the pellets, I will not have radiation as I

live 100 miles from the nearest site where I can meet with an

oconologist.

>

Hello Bob,

I can't think of anyone on any newsgroup I've visited who

has agonized about all of this more than you have. You have

sought advice from books, from doctors, from other patients,

from support groups till the cows came home.

You have been told by a dozen people that, if surgery is not

a good option for you, try radiation - which, arguably, has

similar chances of success.

You still seem to be on the fence, not yet fully resolved

even to get treatment at all.

Your doctor says it's time to get treatment. The time for

dithering and agonizing is over. His reasoning looks sound

to me.

I think you ought to hop off the fence and make a decision.

Don't wait to find out if it's the absolute best possible

decision. There is no best possible. All of the standard

treatments (surgery or radiation) usually work for a patient

with your characteristics. All of them sometimes fail. All

of them have side effects though, in every case I know of,

the side effects have been more acceptable than death from

PCa.

You need to turn the questions around now. The answers aren't

going to come from us. You've heard what we have had to

say. The next answer, the important answer, has to come

from you!

Alan Meyer

ameyer2@...

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

---

Two questions:

1. Why won't you consider pellets / seeds? Your cancer (as you've

presented it) is still confined to the prostate, and the seed " cure

rate " is pretty good for that stage.

2. Is there any way you could stay at the hospital during radiation

treatment? Is there a patient hostel? A cheap hotel? Most hospitals

have social workers who could help you with making arrangements.

>

> He did not say surgery is the only options. He did confer with me my

options. Life is a gamble, and I do not want surgery. What am I

suppose to do just wait until this dam cancer decides to see what the

other body parts of mine see. Like I said I can always refuse surgery.

I will not have the pellets, I will not have radiation as I live 100

miles from the nearest site where I can meet with an oconologist.

Bob I wish you all the best no matter what you decide on. I had the seeds and it was a very easy surgery. Mine was done as a day procedure, I went home the same day. The first day I had pain in my rectum area. It wasnt too bad though, by the next day I was fine. I was back at work after the second day.The worst side effect for me was wondering , DID IT WORK? Only time will tell, but so far all is good. Maybe some debate will come from the type of treatment you decide on, but we all have to be treated at some point . I chose to fight this and try to live a normal life. My Doctors let me make payments , that I could live with . Insurance didnt cover all the cost. Fuller can tell you about Protons, Or MIck can tell you about surgery , but at some point we all have to make a decision.Fuller wrote: Where are you located, Bob? Do you have Medicare?If I may ask, why not seeds? Is there some physical problem? 100 Miles of travel and the related expenses may be a small price to pay in the big scheme of things! The previously mentioned ADT regimen will give you time to sort all this out. Given your anxiety (and this is perfectly understandable) anything to help you get in a better frame of mind will help to make a decision that may be more "right for you."As was said, you only get to do this correctly once.Fuller>> He did not say surgery is the only options. He did confer with me my options. Life is a gamble, and I do not want surgery. What am I suppose to do just wait until this dam cancer decides to see what the other body parts of mine see. Like I said I can always refuse surgery. I will not have the pellets, I will not have radiation as I live 100 miles from the nearest site where I can meet with an oconologist. >

Hi Fuller. Yes I am diebetic, along with Antrial fibulation. Yes i do have medicare. I will go to myn cardiologist for about four hours of testing to see my risk factors.

Where are you located, Bob? Do you have Medicare?If I may ask, why not seeds? Is there some physical problem? 100 Miles of travel and the related expenses may be a small price to pay in the big scheme of things! The previously mentioned ADT regimen will give you time to sort all this out. Given your anxiety (and this is perfectly understandable) anything to help you get in a better frame of mind will help to make a decision that may be more "right for you."As was said, you only get to do this correctly once.Fuller>> He did not say surgery is the only options. He did confer with me my options. Life is a gamble, and I do not want surgery. What am I suppose to do just wait until this dam cancer decides to see what the other body parts of mine see. Like I said I can always refuse surgery. I will not have the pellets, I will not have radiation as I live 100 miles from the nearest site where I can meet with an oconologist. >

They say I live to close to stay at their facility for cancer patients.

---Two questions:1. Why won't you consider pellets / seeds? Your cancer (as you'vepresented it) is still confined to the prostate, and the seed "curerate" is pretty good for that stage. 2. Is there any way you could stay at the hospital during radiationtreatment? Is there a patient hostel? A cheap hotel? Most hospitalshave social workers who could help you with making arrangements. >> He did not say surgery is the only options. He did confer with me myoptions. Life is a gamble, and I do not want surgery. What am Isuppose to do just wait until this dam cancer decides to see what theother body parts of mine see. Like I said I can always refuse surgery.I will not have the pellets, I will not have radiation as I live 100miles from the nearest site where I can meet with an oconologist.

Hi Bob,

My name is Rick and I had my RP at 52 eight months ago. It was the hardest decision I've ever made in my life. It was a decision that was made between my wife, my two sons and myself. I, like you wanted no part of any of it but my family became very passionate and emotional about loosing me and when I saw how much I meant to them it really woke me up.We've never communicated before but after reading your post it looks like its your time to decide. Like Alan said there is no perfect choices here. You talked about not wanting to be selfish to your family and grand kids. Do yourself a favor and don't be selfish to YOURSELF, your way to young. Sometimes the worst decision is no decision.

Good luck.

Rick

Re: Re: Consultation-With Cardiologist & Urologist.

Hello Bob,I can't think of anyone on any newsgroup I've visited whohas agonized about all of this more than you have. You havesought advice from books, from doctors, from other patients,from support groups till the cows came home.You have been told by a dozen people that, if surgery is nota good option for you, try radiation - which, arguably, hassimilar chances of success.You still seem to be on the fence, not yet fully resolved even to get treatment at all.Your doctor says it's time to get treatment. The time fordithering and agonizing is over. His reasoning looks sound to me.I think you ought to hop off the fence and make a decision.Don't wait to find out if it's the absolute best possibledecision. There is no best possible. All of the standardtreatments (surgery or radiation) usually work for a patientwith your characteristics. All of them sometimes fail.

Allof them have side effects though, in every case I know of,the side effects have been more acceptable than death fromPCa.You need to turn the questions around now. The answers aren'tgoing to come from us. You've heard what we have had tosay. The next answer, the important answer, has to come from you!Alan Meyerameyer2yahoo (DOT) com____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile. yahoo.com/ ;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR 8HDtDypao8Wcj9tA cJ

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.