RemedySpot.com

Re: Got a question!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HI:I had my LRRP in Jan of 2007, age 52, gleason 7, psa 5.5. Pain was mild, like I got kicked in the stomach. I would stay to full liquids an extra day, before trying soft food after surgery. I had severe cramping and I feel my intestinal activity was not up to normal. Use K-Y jelly to lubricate the tip of the penis where the catheter exits, to prevent irritation. I purchased a leg bag for during the day and a larger "drainage bag" of 1000 cc for at night, so I had less trips to the bathroom to empty. Walk early and frequently-very important to prevent blood clots in the legs. He will be able to do low level activity within a few days, then increase after the first week. My catheter came out in 10 days. Purchase adult diaper pads- I had two types, a larger one for the first few weeks, and a smaller one as continence improved. Wear briefs with the pads, much less chance of leaking. Be Patient! It can be very frustrating as sometimes it takes a few months to be fully continent. Best of luck,To: ProstateCancerSupport From: seabreezemomgrandma@...Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 21:57:16 +0000Subject: Got a question!

Dear friends,

Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is

going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was

caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.

So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice,

how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the

catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise

what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around

the house?

I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of

housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us

for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your

experiences were?

Thanks.

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more

164 HINTS FOR RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY PATIENTS FROM

RADICAL PROSTATECTOMY PATIENTS at

http://www.malecare.com/prostate_cancer_surgery_patient_hints.htm

I think that you will find the above webpages very

helpful regarding post surgery hints and recovery.

Darryl

http://www.outwithcancer.com

http://www.malecare.com

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Hi,

I just turned 53, PSA was 6.8, gleason 7 (3+4).

I had surgery a little over a year ago. My personnal experience was that I was very weak at first, with noticable improvement every day. For about two weeks I did my best just to walk around the house. Once I removed my catheter, I felt a bit better and started to move around easier. I was doing light work around the house after a couple of weeks. At about 4-5 months out I was back to doing my everyday normal tasks for about 4 hours a day, then I'd have to take a break for 30 or 40 minutes before starting again.

My major problem now is the incontenince. I still use a pad a day (sometimes two, depending on my activities and fluid intake). I still continue to see improvement however, and God willing, will be off the pad one day soon.

Jack

Got a question!

Dear friends,Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice, how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around the house?I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your experiences were?Thanks.

Hi - It will depend on whether your husband has robotic surgery or open surgery. Which will he be having?Mick seabreezemomgrandma wrote: Dear friends, Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed. So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar

choice, how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around the house? I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your experiences were? Thanks. God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think positive. Pray positive. And talk positive.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Hi Jack, I stopped useing a pad after three months but still drip or squirt a little when coughing or passing gas.I find bending my knees when sneezing stops that from happening, the same with coughing. I had my surgery of the day than before the surgery. Overall I feel pretty good except for the ED issues. Good luck and god bless. JACK JETER wrote: Hi, I just turned 53, PSA was 6.8, gleason 7 (3+4). I had surgery a little over a year ago. My personnal experience was that I was very weak at first, with noticable improvement every day. For about two weeks I did my best just to walk around the house. Once I removed my catheter, I felt a bit better and started to move around easier. I was doing light work around the house after a couple of weeks. At about 4-5 months out I was back to doing my everyday normal tasks for about 4 hours a day, then I'd have to take a break for 30 or 40 minutes before starting again. My major problem now is the incontenince. I still use a pad a day (sometimes two, depending on my activities and fluid intake). I still continue to see improvement however, and God willing, will be off the pad one day soon. Jack Got a question! Dear friends,Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.So, my question is for those of you who

have made a similar choice, how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around the house?I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your experiences were?Thanks.

Hi All,

It seems that most of the people on this list favor surgery.

I cannot understand why not many are looking at brachytherapy.

I have seen patients have the seed implants, get up off the table

45 minutes later and go back to work. Not all of them do this,

but some do. And the primary bladder valve is not involved

so it is not damaged as is the case in a lot of the RPs.

Each to his own- But please think and research before

committing to a procedure that you will have to live with

the rest of your life.

Aubrey

I wish you all the bestAubrey Pilgrim, DC (Ret.) Author ofA Revolutionary Approach to Prostate Cancer-Read the original book for FREE at: http://www.prostatepointers.org/prostate/lay/apilgrim/Read new edition for FREE at http://www.cancer.prostate-help.org/capilgr.htmDr. E. Crawford is co-author of the revision

Hello,

Everyone handles surgery different. Don't forget that this is major surgery no matter how they do it.

What type of RP is he having? I can not talk about open RP because I had robotic but I'm pretty sure he will be side lined from most activities for at least six weeks. It depends also on what kind of shape he is in as well(I don't want to say age because that is not always an indication of physical condition). I had mine out on May 16, 2007 and I had my catheter in for nine days. That nine days was for me the most difficult time and my activities were very limited. Once the catheter came out I felt much better and was able to drive and do alot more. I had some pain and I did take some pain pills that i came home with but for the most part I was able to handle it without taking them often. I am in pretty good physical condition(I was 52)and I was able to go back to work in two weeks. I was not allowed to do ANY lifting for six weeks but I was able to do most things as long as there was no discomfort. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, this is a great group and I wish I had found it when I was in your shoes last May.

Good Luck to you and your husband.

Rick

Got a question!

Dear friends,Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice, how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around the house?I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your experiences were?Thanks.Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Hi I had surgery in March and the recovery takes some time. A week with the catherer and than learning control of the shut off valve for 3 to 4 months. Stopped waring pads after the 4 month. I have complete control now but it takes time. I was able to lift like I did before after 4 months and can do almost everything I did before now. I recovered very quickly and only experience pain off and on for a week. I was 54 when I had mine. Just be patient and take it slow with him. The more you move around the quicker the recovery. seabreezemomgrandma wrote: Dear friends,Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice, how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around the house?I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your experiences

were?Thanks.

He will be having open surgery.

Hi - It will depend on whether your husband has robotic surgery or open surgery. Which will he be having?Mick seabreezemomgrandma <seabreezemomgrandma @yahoo.com> wrote:

Dear friends,Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice, how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around the house?I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your experiences were?Thanks.

God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think positive. Pray positive. And talk positive.

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Hello,

Everyone handles surgery different. Don't forget that this is major surgery no matter how they do it.

What type of RP is he having? I can not talk about open RP because I had robotic but I'm pretty sure he will be side lined from most activities for at least six weeks. It depends also on what kind of shape he is in as well(I don't want to say age because that is not always an indication of physical condition). I had mine out on May 16, 2007 and I had my catheter in for nine days. That nine days was for me the most difficult time and my activities were very limited. Once the catheter came out I felt much better and was able to drive and do alot more. I had some pain and I did take some pain pills that i came home with but for the most part I was able to handle it without taking them often. I am in pretty good physical condition(I was 52)and I was able to go back to work in two weeks. I was not allowed to do ANY lifting for six weeks

but I was able to do most things as long as there was no discomfort. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, this is a great group and I wish I had found it when I was in your shoes last May.

Rick

Got a question!

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

It is one of the odd things about life how

different people can have such different perceptions of issues. As Moderators

we were having complaints not too long ago that this List seemed to be devoted

to proton beam therapy!!

To me it seems a very well balanced List

but inevitably since surgery is the specialty of most urologists it becomes

the default treatment for many men and is still the #1 treatment choice in the US. If members

of this List are representative of the US men, then most of them will

choose or will have had surgery.

I agree with Aubrey regarding research and

understanding options fully before making a cdecision, but each person is

entitled to make the decision that suits them and their situation.

All the best

Terry Herbert

I have no medical

qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since

then.

My sites are at www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za

Dr

“Snuffy” Myers : " As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of

the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate

data "

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of APilgrm@...

Sent: Saturday, 5 January 2008

4:12 PM

To: ProstateCancerSupport

Subject: Re:

Got a question!

Hi All,

It seems that most of the people on this

list favor surgery.

I cannot understand why not many are

looking at brachytherapy.

I have seen patients have the seed

implants, get up off the table

45 minutes later and go back to work. Not

all of them do this,

but some do. And the primary bladder

valve is not involved

so it is not damaged as is the case in a

lot of the RPs.

Each to his own- But please think and

research before

committing to a procedure that you will

have to live with

the rest of your life.

Aubrey

I wish

you all the best

Aubrey Pilgrim, DC (Ret.) Author of

A Revolutionary Approach to Prostate Cancer-Read the original book

for FREE at: http://www.prostatepointers.org/prostate/lay/apilgrim/

Read new edition for FREE at http://www.cancer.prostate-help.org/capilgr.htm

Dr. E. Crawford is co-author of the revision

In a message dated 1/4/2008 6:47:33 P.M.

Pacific Standard Time, white.richard54 writes:

Hello,

Everyone handles surgery different. Don't

forget that this is major surgery no matter how they do it.

What type of RP is he having? I can not

talk about open RP because I had robotic but I'm pretty sure he will be side

lined from most activities for at least six weeks. It depends also

on what kind of shape he is in as well(I don't want to say age because that is

not always an indication of physical condition). I had mine out

on May 16, 2007 and I had my catheter in for nine days. That nine days was for

me the most difficult time and my activities were very limited. Once the

catheter came out I felt much better and was able to drive and do alot more. I

had some pain and I did take some pain pills that i came home with but for

the most part I was able to handle it without taking them often. I am in

pretty good physical condition(I was 52)and I was able to go back to work in

two weeks. I was not allowed to do ANY lifting for six weeks but I was

able to do most things as long as there was no discomfort. Don't hesitate

to ask any questions, this is a great group and I wish I had found it when I

was in your shoes last May.

Rick

-----

Original Message ----

To: ProstateCancerSupport

Sent: Friday, January 4, 2008 4:57:16 PM

Subject: Got a question!

Dear friends,

Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is

going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was

caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.

So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice,

how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the

catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise

what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around

the house?

I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of

housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us

for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your

experiences were?

Thanks.

Start the year off right. Easy

ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Hi , The replies are certainly accurate, depends on which

approach, open or robotic, and also his condition preop. I had

robotic, out of the hosp in 24 hours, cath out in 7 days, back at the

gym in ten days. I weaned off the pads in less than 6 to 8 weeks,

and have done well post surgically since. PSAs remain at <0.01.

Keep us posted on hubbies progress, and feel free to come back for

more info/help.

Good luck, our prayers are with both of you, You are not alone!!!

> Dear friends,

>

> Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is

> going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it

was

> caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.

>

> So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice,

> how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with

the

> catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but

otherwise

> what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do

around

> the house?

>

> I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way

of

> housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with

us

> for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what

your

> experiences were?

>

> Thanks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think

positive. Pray positive. And talk positive.

>

>

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo!

Search.

>

>

>

>

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>

Just spotted your reply that he is having it open, laparotomy. This

will require more time to recover, probably 4 to 6 weeks gradual,

again lots depending on his pre op health/strength. \

Make sure he gets his butt out of bed and does lots of walking. Also

stool softeners started a couple days ahead aren't a bad idea

either. Like " Colace " or it's generic, NOT PERICOLACE!!

--- \\

In ProstateCancerSupport , " grrich2763 "

wrote:

>

> Hi , The replies are certainly accurate, depends on which

> approach, open or robotic, and also his condition preop. I had

> robotic, out of the hosp in 24 hours, cath out in 7 days, back at

the

> gym in ten days. I weaned off the pads in less than 6 to 8 weeks,

> and have done well post surgically since. PSAs remain at <0.01.

> Keep us posted on hubbies progress, and feel free to come back for

> more info/help.

> Good luck, our prayers are with both of you, You are not alone!!!

>

>

>

> > Dear friends,

> >

> > Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband

is

> > going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know

it

> was

> > caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.

> >

> > So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar

choice,

> > how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing

with

> the

> > catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but

> otherwise

> > what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do

> around

> > the house?

> >

> > I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the

way

> of

> > housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with

> us

> > for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what

> your

> > experiences were?

> >

> > Thanks.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think

> positive. Pray positive. And talk positive.

> >

> >

> > Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Yahoo!

> Search.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> ______________

> > Be a better friend, newshound, and

> > know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

> http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

> >

>

Hi All,

As Aubrey said, some people get up after seed implants and go to

work. If you have the disposition, time and the money, check out

protons. Look at the YANA site, they have a good writeup on protons.

Many of the patients at Loma had early morning appointments,

hoping that the machinery would be working, and then went out to play

golf. This continued through the 42 to 45 session for this type of

treatment.

Not all treatment modalities have serious side effects nor are all

patients suited for all modalities, either physically or mentally.

This is just another potential option.

Best of luck,

Proton Patient Cancer Survivor

------------------------------------------------------------------

>

> It is one of the odd things about life how different people can

have such

> different perceptions of issues. As Moderators we were having

complaints not

> too long ago that this List seemed to be devoted to proton beam

therapy!!

>

>

>

> To me it seems a very well balanced List but inevitably since

surgery is the

> specialty of most urologists it becomes the default treatment for

many men

> and is still the #1 treatment choice in the US. If members of this

List are

> representative of the US men, then most of them will choose or will

have had

> surgery.

>

>

>

> I agree with Aubrey regarding research and understanding options

fully

> before making a cdecision, but each person is entitled to make the

decision

> that suits them and their situation.

>

>

>

> All the best

>

>

>

> Terry Herbert

>

> I have no medical qualifications but I was diagnosed in '96: and

have

> learned a bit since then.

>

> My sites are at www.yananow.net <http://www.yananow.net/> and

> <http://www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za/>

> www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za

>

> Dr " Snuffy " Myers : " As a physician, I am painfully aware

that most

> of the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made

with

> inadequate data "

>

>

>

> _____

>

> From: ProstateCancerSupport

> [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of

APilgrm@...

> Sent: Saturday, 5 January 2008 4:12 PM

> To: ProstateCancerSupport

> Subject: Re: Got a question!

>

>

>

> Hi All,

>

>

>

> It seems that most of the people on this list favor surgery.

>

> I cannot understand why not many are looking at brachytherapy.

>

> I have seen patients have the seed implants, get up off the table

>

> 45 minutes later and go back to work. Not all of them do this,

>

> but some do. And the primary bladder valve is not involved

>

> so it is not damaged as is the case in a lot of the RPs.

>

>

>

> Each to his own- But please think and research before

>

> committing to a procedure that you will have to live with

>

> the rest of your life.

>

>

>

> Aubrey

>

>

>

> I wish you all the best

>

> Aubrey Pilgrim, DC (Ret.) Author of

> A Revolutionary Approach to Prostate Cancer-Read the original book

> for FREE at: http://www.prostate

> <http://www.prostatepointers.org/prostate/lay/apilgrim/>

> pointers.org/prostate/lay/apilgrim/

> Read new edition for FREE at http://www.cancer.

> <http://www.cancer.prostate-help.org/capilgr.htm>

> prostate-help.org/capilgr.htm

> Dr. E. Crawford is co-author of the revision

>

>

>

> In a message dated 1/4/2008 6:47:33 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

> white.richard54@... writes:

>

> Hello,

>

> Everyone handles surgery different. Don't forget that this is major

surgery

> no matter how they do it.

>

> What type of RP is he having? I can not talk about open RP because

I had

> robotic but I'm pretty sure he will be side lined from most

activities for

> at least six weeks. It depends also on what kind of shape he is in

as

> well(I don't want to say age because that is not always an

indication of

> physical condition). I had mine out on May 16, 2007 and I had my

catheter

> in for nine days. That nine days was for me the most difficult time

and my

> activities were very limited. Once the catheter came out I felt

much better

> and was able to drive and do alot more. I had some pain and I did

take some

> pain pills that i came home with but for the most part I was able

to handle

> it without taking them often. I am in pretty good physical condition

(I was

> 52)and I was able to go back to work in two weeks. I was not

allowed to do

> ANY lifting for six weeks but I was able to do most things as long

as there

> was no discomfort. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, this is a

great

> group and I wish I had found it when I was in your shoes last May.

>

> Good Luck to you and your husband.

>

> Rick

>

>

>

>

>

> Got a question!

>

> Dear friends,

>

> going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it

was

>

> how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with

the

> catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but

otherwise

> what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do

around

> the house?

>

> I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way

of

> housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with

us

> for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what

your

> experiences were?

>

> Thanks.

>

>

>

>

>

> _____

>

> Start the year off right. Easy

> <http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?

NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>

> ways to stay in shape in the new year.

>

Terry - You are probably right about the medical profession. But my point was that even when given options, the majority of guys will choose what they feel will get them in and out of treatment the quickest way possible, especially when there are no guarantees that multiple treatment options such as seeds, radiation or others will give them any better outcomes. That's just my opinion on why guy do what they do. I doubt that will ever change. Mick Terry Herbert wrote: Mick, There was no question of blame anywhere – except for the medical profession who often do not act very professionally in that they do not give their patients all the information required to make an informed decision. All the best Terry Herbert I have no medical qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since then. My sites are at www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za Dr “Snuffy” Myers : "As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate data" From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of Mick Northrop Sent: Sunday, 6 January 2008 5:46 AM To: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: RE: Got a question! Terry - I agree that the 'default' treatment is usually surgery. Surgery is usually what a guy is offered first and then given other treatments as options. Most guys see surgery as a "get it over with quick" option. Especially robotic surgery. Guys in general tend to not want to go to the doctor period. If they are given the choice of get it over with now or come back for multiple treatments with no guarantee to be any better off in the end, they will choose the get it over with now option most often. And who can blame? Certainly not me. Mick Terry Herbert

<ghenesh_49optusnet.au> wrote: It is one of the odd things about life how different people can have such different perceptions of issues. As Moderators we were having complaints not too long ago that this List seemed to be devoted to proton beam therapy!! To me it seems a very well balanced List but inevitably since surgery is the

specialty of most urologists it becomes the default treatment for many men and is still the #1 treatment choice in the US. If members of this List are representative of the US men, then most of them will choose or will have had surgery. I agree with Aubrey regarding research and understanding options fully before making a cdecision, but each person is entitled to make the decision that suits them and their situation. All the best Terry Herbert I have no medical qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since then.

My sites are at www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za Dr “Snuffy” Myers : "As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate data" From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of APilgrmaol Sent: Saturday, 5 January 2008 4:12 PM To: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: Re: Got a question! Hi All, It seems that most of the people on this list favor surgery. I cannot understand why not many are

looking at brachytherapy. I have seen patients have the seed implants, get up off the table 45 minutes later and go back to work. Not all of them do this, but some do. And the primary bladder valve is not involved so it is not damaged as is the case in a lot of the RPs. < div class="MsoNormal">Each to his own- But please think and research before committing to a procedure that you will have to live with the rest of your life. Aubrey I wish you all the best Aubrey Pilgrim, DC (Ret.) Author of

A Revolutionary Approach to Prostate Cancer-Read the original book for FREE at: http://www.prostatepointers.org/prostate/lay/apilgrim/ Read new edition for FREE at http://www.cancer.prostate-help.org/capilgr.htm Dr. E. Crawford is co-author of the revision In a message dated 1/4/2008 6:47:33 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, white.richard54 writes: Hello, Everyone handles surgery different. Don't forget that this is major surgery no matter how they do it. What type of RP is he having? I can not talk about open RP because I had robotic but I'm pretty sure he will be side lined from most activities for at least six weeks. It depends also on what kind of shape he is in as well(I don't want to say age because that is not always an indication of physical condition). I had mine out on May 16, 2007 and I had my catheter in for nine days. That nine days was for me the most difficult time and my activities were very limited. Once the catheter came out I felt much better and was able to drive and do alot more. I had some pain and I did take some pain pills that i came home with but for the most part I was able to handle it without taking them often. I am in pretty good physical condition(I was 52)and I was able to go back to work in two weeks. I was not allowed to do ANY lifting for six weeks but I was able to do most things as long as

there was no discomfort. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, this is a great group and I wish I had found it when I was in your shoes last May. Good Luck to you and your husband. Rick Got a question! Dear friends, Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed. So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice, how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise what were your experiences as

far as what you were able to do around the house? I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your experiences were? Thanks. Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year. God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think positive. Pray positive. And talk positive. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think positive. Pray positive. And talk positive.

You know, I think most men don't give this a lot of thought. They do what their doctor suggests, and leave it at that. They just want to get it over with. I suspect the number of men who really care to do a lot of research into their options is very small - just look at how many participate in this forum, numbered in the hundreds, compared to the hundreds of thousands that have been diagnosed with prostate cancer in the last few years.

> > Terry - You are probably right about the medical profession. But my point was that even when given options, the majority of guys will choose what they feel will get them in and out of treatment the quickest way possible, especially when there are no guarantees that multiple treatment options such as seeds, radiation or others will give them any better outcomes. That's just my opinion on why guy do what they do. I doubt that will ever change. > > > Mick > > Terry Herbert wrote:> > > > > Mick, > > There was no question of blame anywhere – except for the medical profession who often do not act very professionally in that they do not give their patients all the information required to make an informed decision.

> > > All the best > > Terry Herbert > I have no medical qualifications but I was diagnosed in '96: and have learned a bit since then. > My sites are at

www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za > Dr "Snuffy" Myers : " As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate data "

> > > ________________________________ > From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:

ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of Mick Northrop> Sent: Sunday, 6 January 2008 5:46 AM> To: ProstateCancerSupport

> Subject: RE: Got a question! > > > > > Terry - I agree that the 'default' treatment is usually surgery. Surgery is > usually what a guy is offered first and then given other treatments as options. Most guys see surgery as a " get it over with quick " option. Especially robotic surgery. Guys in general tend to not want to go to the doctor period. If they are given the choice of get it over with now or come back for multiple treatments with no guarantee to be any better off in the end, they will choose the get it over with now option most often. And who can blame? Certainly not me.

> > Mick > > > Terry Herbert wrote: > > > > > It is one of the odd things about life how different people can have such different perceptions of issues. As Moderators we were having complaints not too long ago that this List seemed to be devoted to proton beam therapy!!

> > > > To me it seems a very well balanced List but inevitably since surgery is the specialty of most urologists it becomes the default treatment for many men and is still the #1 treatment choice in the US. If members of this List are representative of the US men, then most of them will choose or will have had surgery.

> > > > I agree with Aubrey regarding research and understanding options fully before making a cdecision, but each person is entitled to make the decision that suits them and their situation. > > > > > All the best > > > > Terry Herbert > > I have no medical qualifications but I was diagnosed in '96: and have learned a bit since then.

> > My sites are at www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za > > Dr "Snuffy" Myers : " As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate data "

> > > > ________________________________ > > From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:

ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of APilgrm@...> Sent: Saturday, 5 January 2008 4:12 PM> To:

ProstateCancerSupport > Subject: Re: Got a question! > > > > > > > > Hi All, > > > > > > It seems that most of the people on this list favor surgery. > > > I cannot understand why not many are looking at brachytherapy.

> > > I have seen patients have the seed implants, get up off the table > > > 45 minutes later and go back to work. Not all of them do this, > > > but some do. And the primary bladder valve is not involved > > > so it is not damaged as is the case in a lot of the RPs. > > > > > < div class= " MsoNormal " >Each to his own- But please think and research before

> > > committing to a procedure that you will have to live with > > > the rest of your life. > > > > > > Aubrey

> > > > > > I wish you all the best> > Aubrey Pilgrim, DC (Ret.) Author of> A Revolutionary Approach to Prostate Cancer-Read the original book > for FREE at: http://www.prostatepointers.org/prostate/lay/apilgrim/> Read new edition for FREE at

http://www.cancer.prostate-help.org/capilgr.htm> Dr. E. Crawford is co-author of the revision > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Hello, > > > Everyone handles surgery different. Don't forget that this is major surgery no matter how they do it. > > > What type of RP is he having? I can not talk about open RP because I had robotic but I'm pretty sure he will be side lined from most activities for at least six weeks. It depends also on what kind of shape he is in as well(I don't want to say age because that is not always an indication of physical condition). I had mine out on May 16, 2007 and I had my catheter in for nine days. That nine days was for me the most difficult time and my activities were very limited. Once the catheter came out I felt much better and was able to drive and do alot more. I had some pain and I did take some pain pills that i came home with but for the most part I was able to handle it without taking them often. I am in pretty good physical condition(I was 52)and I was able to go back to work in two weeks. I was not allowed to do ANY lifting for six weeks but I was able to do most things as long as there was no discomfort. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, this is a great group and I wish I had found it when I was in your shoes last May.

> > > Good Luck to you and your husband. > > > Rick > > > > > > > > Got a question! > > > Dear friends,> > Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is > going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was > caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.> > So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice, > how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the > catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise > what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around > the house?> > I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of > housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us > for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your > experiences were?> > Thanks. > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year. > > > > > > God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think positive. Pray positive. And talk positive. > > ________________________________

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. > > > > > > God rewards those that keep on keeping on. Stay positive. Think positive. Pray positive. And talk positive. > > ________________________________Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. > >

-- Bobinnv

Dear ,

My husband had his surgery on the 31st of Oct and the major thing on

my mind was how I could best be of help afterwards and trying to

anticipate what to expect.

If all goes well your husband will be ambulatory, but will have

problems getting in and out of bed because his stomach muscles will

need to recover their strength. He may want to spend more time in bed

than out of it because he will tire easily. Heavy lifting, long walks

outside are out, especially when his catheter is in.

While he is hooked up to the catheter his bag will need to be emptied

and the tube kept clean. Not difficult. The nurse should show you how

to do it before you leave the hospital.

Before he went into the hospital we bought a tray table for the bed as

eating at the table was tiring. Also his seat hurt so we bought a foam

rubber donut to sit on from a pharmacy that sold medical supplies. We

also bought a foam rubber back rest so he could sit up in bed

comfortably.

One nasty suprise we had when he got home was that his bladder went

into spasm. This can be very painful and cause urine to leak out

around the side of the catheter. We called the doctor on call [it was

the weeked of course] and were prescribed anti spasm medication. It

helped somewhat but the spasms continued, although less intense, until

the catheter was removed. It turns out that this is common and nothing

to get excited about, but no one told us. [We tried both oxybutynin

and opium/belladonna suppositories -- the suppositories were better,

but expensive].

It does get better. It is now 9 weeks since surgery and he is just

starting to get back to normal.

So my answer as regards to the help that your husband gives you around

the house:

Don't expect it and try your best to find alternatives for a while.

I don't mean to alarm you. It is just better to be prepared than

surprised.

From (MDH) --

I was surprised by how long it took me to get back some physical

energy. I was pretty much lying in bed until my catheter was removed

at three weeks. Even after that, I felt punky for a few weeks. I

went to a support-group meeting four weeks post-surgery, and it was

all I could do to stay upright. Now, nine weeks after surgery, I can

run around like I used to -- almost.

>

> Dear friends,

>

> going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as we know it was

>

> how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the

> catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise

> what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around

> the house?

>

> I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of

> housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us

> for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your

> experiences were?

>

> Thanks.

>

Dear ,

Thank you, thank you. Your information pretty much confirmed what I suspected. Our son will be here for a week, so that will help, and our daughter lives nearby. I'm sure we'll be ok. We shall just have a couple of quiet months. And that will be just fine.

May I ask what type of pad/adult diaper you purchased for your husband? I kind of figured I'd wait until we were at the hospital - I guess I should have asked his doc, but didn't think of it. We've been told about 2 months for recovery and a couple - perhaps 3 weeks for the cath.

Thank you again for your insight.

Dear ,My husband had his surgery on the 31st of Oct and the major thing onmy mind was how I could best be of help afterwards and trying toanticipate what to expect.If all goes well your husband will be ambulatory, but will haveproblems getting in and out of bed because his stomach muscles willneed to recover their strength. He may want to spend more time in bedthan out of it because he will tire easily. Heavy lifting, long walksoutside are out, especially when his catheter is in.While he is hooked up to the catheter his bag will need to be emptiedand the tube kept clean. Not difficult. The nurse should show you howto do it before you leave the hospital.Before he went into the hospital we bought a tray table for the bed aseating at the table was tiring. Also his seat hurt so we bought a foamrubber donut to sit on from a pharmacy that sold medical supplies. Wealso

bought a foam rubber back rest so he could sit up in bedcomfortably. One nasty suprise we had when he got home was that his bladder wentinto spasm. This can be very painful and cause urine to leak outaround the side of the catheter. We called the doctor on call [it wasthe weeked of course] and were prescribed anti spasm medication. Ithelped somewhat but the spasms continued, although less intense, untilthe catheter was removed. It turns out that this is common and nothingto get excited about, but no one told us. [We tried both oxybutyninand opium/belladonna suppositories -- the suppositories were better,but expensive].It does get better. It is now 9 weeks since surgery and he is juststarting to get back to normal.So my answer as regards to the help that your husband gives you aroundthe house:Don't expect it and try your best to find alternatives for a while.I don't mean

to alarm you. It is just better to be prepared thansurprised.From (MDH) --I was surprised by how long it took me to get back some physicalenergy. I was pretty much lying in bed until my catheter was removedat three weeks. Even after that, I felt punky for a few weeks. Iwent to a support-group meeting four weeks post-surgery, and it wasall I could do to stay upright. Now, nine weeks after surgery, I canrun around like I used to -- almost. >> Dear friends,> > Have been lurking for a bit, and now have a question. My husband is > going to have his prostate removed next week. As far as

we know it was > caught very early, and his choice is to have it removed.> > So, my question is for those of you who have made a similar choice, > how did you feel once you got home? I know we will be dealing with the > catheter for several weeks, and that lifting is a nono, but otherwise > what were your experiences as far as what you were able to do around > the house?> > I have physical limitations that keep me from doing much in the way of > housekeeping and so depend on MDH for a lot. Our son will be with us > for a week and our daughter is nearby, but I am just curious what your > experiences were?> > Thanks.>