RemedySpot.com

can someone verify my thinking here?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi All. I have a question for you. As you know, I just made the switch from the synthetic t4 ( synthroid ) to the armour dessicated thyroid.

I know it is assimilated in the body quite different and very very quickly. I am not having any allergic reactions, but did start getting heart palpitations and a rapid heart rate later yesterday. I also had trouble sleeping much last night.

I went to this website and found this conversion chart that apparently armour uses for conversions. I am stumped, as the pharmacist and docs will tell you, you cannot convert these.

I copied and pasted this question and chart below. I am just curious if anyone is able to see what I am seeing here, and if I am seeing this right.

Theoretically, I am or was on 150 mcg's of synthroid. Now, for armour they have me on 150 mg / or 2 1/2 grains. According to this chart this would have me at nearing double the dose of thyroid I need or have been using. The pharmacist tried to calculate and came up with 3 to 3 1/2 grains, enough to kill me I guess. But the doc said that they wanted me started lower, THANK GOD! The docs did not know how to convert either.

Interestingly enough, I have my old bottle from years ago, and it is 90 mg or 1 1/2 grains of armour .

Now, I calculate I should be on 90 mgs or 1 1/2 grains here, for being on 150 mcg of synthroid.

I know this is long, but just wondering if anyone else sees this?

Well, at least the good thing is no reactions as I said, I do not get that sick feeling in my stomach like on the synthetics, I do not bloat up with fluid retention a few hours later, etc... It is supposed to help to stop the excessive fluid retention the others cause and also help with thyroid related hair loss and more normal body functions.

For anyone else out there that might be interested, the site is www.armourthyroid.com Pretty interesting.

Thanks & Love, Normi

__________________________________QUESTIONHow do I switch from a levothyroxine T4-only drug to Armour® Thyroid?

ANSWERIf you are a patient, be sure to discuss any desire to change medication with your physician.

The basic "rule of thumb" in converting thyroid doses is that 100 mcg of T4 is roughly equivalent to 25 mcg of T3, or 1 grain (60 mg) of desiccated thyroid (Armour® Thyroid), or Liotrix-1 (Thyrolar®-1)a.

Please refer to the table below for approximate equivalent strengths of various thyroid preparations, based on clinical responses as taken from the USP-DI.1,2

Drug →

Thyroid Tablets, USP(Armour® Thyroid)

Liotrix Tablets, USP(Thyrolar® a)

Liothronine Tablets, USP(Cytomel® B)

Levothyroxine Tablets, USP(Unithroid® c, Levoxyl® d, Levothroid® e, Synthroid® f)

Approx. Dose Equivalent

1/4 grain (15 mg)

1/4

6.25 mcg

25 mcg (.025 mg)

Approx. Dose Equivalent

1/2 grain (30 mg)

1/2

12.5 mcg

50 mcg (.05 mg)

Approx. Dose Equivalent

1 grain (60 mg)

25 mcg

100 mcg ( .1 mg)

Approx. Dose Equivalent

1 1/2 grains (90 mg)

1 1/2

37.5 mcg

150 mcg (.15 mg)

Approx. Dose Equivalent

2 grains (120 mg)

50 mcg

200 mcg (.2 mg)

Approx. Dose Equivalent

3 grains (180 mg)

75 mcg

300 mcg (.3 mg)

Note: Please keep in mind that dose adjustment may be required. Thyroid dosing is highly specific and should be individualized to achieve maximum benefit and optimal patient health.Notes (see above):

a.

Thyrolar is a registered trademark of Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

b.

Cytomel is a registered trademark of Pharma Inc./King Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

c.

Unithroid is a registered trademark of Jerome s Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

d.

Levoxyl is a registered trademark of Pharma Inc./King Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

e.

Levothroid is a registered trademark of Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

f.

Synthroid is a registered trademark of Abbott Laboratories, Inc.

___________________________________QUESTIONWhat are the ingredients in Armour® Thyroid tablets?

ANSWERThe Armour® Thyroid product manufactured by Forest Pharmaceuticals contains:

1. Thyroid Powder, USP2. Dextrose, Anhydrous3. Microcrystalline Cellulose, NF4. Sodium Starch Glycolate, NF5. Calcium Stearate, NF6. Opadry White (titanium dioxide used as a whitening agent)

___________________________________QUESTIONCould you tell me how Armour® Thyroid meets established federal health standards for thyroid tablets?

ANSWERArmour® Thyroid Tablets, USP contain the labeled amounts of levothyroxine and liothyronine, as established by the United States Pharmacopeia (USP). To meet quality standards it must also pass bacteriological testing and must meet other product quality tests. The ratio of Armour® Thyroid T4 to T3 is 4.22:1 (4.22 parts of T4 to one part of T3).

___________________________________QUESTIONHow is my dose of Armour® Thyroid taken?

ANSWERTreatment recommended by your physician generally consists of a specific dose level taken daily, usually once in the morning unless otherwise advised. If you forget to take a dose of your thyroid hormone medication, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the one you forgot and continue with your regular schedule; do not take a double dose. Call your doctor if you miss two or more consecutive doses.

After you are placed on an initial dose level, your physician may want to adjust this dose at a later date based on your response.___________________________________QUESTIONDoes Armour® Thyroid have an odor?

ANSWERAs a natural product obtained from porcine (pig) thyroid glands, Armour® Thyroid may have a strong, characteristic odor. This does not indicate that it is spoiled or defective in any way.

Back to top___________________________________QUESTIONHow soon can I expect to see improvement from the use of Armour® Thyroid?

ANSWERMost patients taking thyroid medications at effective dosage levels experience positive changes within the first few days to several weeks. Occasionally, your doctor may need to make an adjustment of the dosage that was initially chosen before these results occur. ©2002 Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.

Data on file, Forest Laboratories, Inc. United States Pharmacopoeia — Drug Information 2000, 20th Edition, Drug Information for the Health Care Professional; Vol. 1, pp. 2980-2986. World Color Book Services, Versailles, KY.

Home || Hypothyroidism Home || Treatment || About Armour® Thyroid || Safety and Side Effects || FAQs || Prescribing Information || Privacy Policy || Site Map || Glossary || Contact Us