Rate this topic

Guest guest

Depo Provera is an approved drug for birth control. And yes for long-term

use. There can be many side-effects for some women, weight gain and

irregular periods the most common. The majority of women stop bleeding all

together after 1 year of use. I didn't make it that far because my

bleeding just got worse and worse on it. Some women here, however have

gone years without bleeding on Depo. I think it just varies. (As a side

note, I lost 7 pounds on it--go figure).

Anyway, it's not a treatment for fibroids, some just use it as their birth

control method to try and control bleeding.

At 06:41 AM 2/14/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Is Depo-Prevera an approved drug to control bleeding.

>And is it approved for long term use?

>Patty

>

>

>

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Did anyone see this article? I know this group isn't about alcohol cirrohsis, but read on, and it speaks of chronic liver diseases. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Maxim Says Drug Can Stop Liver Damage From

Alcohol

Reuters

Mar 4 2002 11:54AM

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - U.S.-Swedish biotech Maxim Pharmaceuticals said on Monday an animal study showed that its drug Ceplene could completely reverse damage to the liver caused by alcohol.

Pre-clinical testing showed that rats injected with ethanol and the company's drug Ceplene sustained no liver damage, while rats given only ethanol developed symptoms related to alcohol abuse, the company said. "We've shown we could completely reverse the damage made by the alcohol," Maxim Chief Scientific Officer Kurt Gehlsen told analysts at a meeting in Stockholm. Maxim expects clinical testing of Ceplene against alcoholic liver disease and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis to start this year. Any drug must go through three different phases of clinical trials, which typically take several years, before being approved for sale to the public. In the United States one out of 10 people suffer from chronic liver diseases such as cirrhosis and fatty liver, Maxim said. Ceplene, with the scientific name histamine dihydrochloride, is also in clinical trials for use against hepatitis C and different forms of cancer. "Hepatitis C is a two billion dollar market, but this is way bigger ... I have to say we are pretty enthusiastic for the prospects of Ceplene against chronic liver diseases," Maxim Chief Executive Larry Stambaugh said. The company's shares rose 3.7 percent to $5.94 in early U.S. trading, while they gained 3.3 percent to $5.99 in Stockholm on Monday. The company would not disclose any further details of the animal study, which will be presented at the EASL conference for liver studies in Madrid starting April 18. In late 2000, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration rejected Maxim's application to market Ceplene, then called Maxamine, for treatment of skin cancer. The company's shares then plunged 92 percent from levels above $60 in late 2000 to a low of $5.

RTR/JSCIENCE-HEALTH-ALCOHOL-CIRRHOSIS-DC/

Guest guest

Did anyone see this article? I know this group isn't about alcohol cirrohsis, but read on, and it speaks of chronic liver diseases. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Alcohol

Reuters

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - U.S.-Swedish biotech Maxim Pharmaceuticals said on Monday an animal study showed that its drug Ceplene could completely reverse damage to the liver caused by alcohol.

Pre-clinical testing showed that rats injected with ethanol and the company's drug Ceplene sustained no liver damage, while rats given only ethanol developed symptoms related to alcohol abuse, the company said. "We've shown we could completely reverse the damage made by the alcohol," Maxim Chief Scientific Officer Kurt Gehlsen told analysts at a meeting in Stockholm. Maxim expects clinical testing of Ceplene against alcoholic liver disease and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis to start this year. Any drug must go through three different phases of clinical trials, which typically take several years, before being approved for sale to the public. In the United States one out of 10 people suffer from chronic liver diseases such as cirrhosis and fatty liver, Maxim said. Ceplene, with the scientific name histamine dihydrochloride, is also in clinical trials for use against hepatitis C and different forms of cancer. "Hepatitis C is a two billion dollar market, but this is way bigger ... I have to say we are pretty enthusiastic for the prospects of Ceplene against chronic liver diseases," Maxim Chief Executive Larry Stambaugh said. The company's shares rose 3.7 percent to $5.94 in early U.S. trading, while they gained 3.3 percent to $5.99 in Stockholm on Monday. The company would not disclose any further details of the animal study, which will be presented at the EASL conference for liver studies in Madrid starting April 18. In late 2000, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration rejected Maxim's application to market Ceplene, then called Maxamine, for treatment of skin cancer. The company's shares then plunged 92 percent from levels above $60 in late 2000 to a low of $5.

Guest guest

Alcohol

Reuters

Guest guest

Thanks for the article about Ceplene! Fixing one problem can often lead to

learning enough to fix other problems, or even fix other problems. I don't

think one can put total boundaries around remedies; the science is too

complex. Thanks again!

>From: jterry05@...

>Reply-To:

>To:

>Subject: (no subject)

>Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:32:41 EST

>

>Did anyone see this article? I know this group isn't about alcohol

>cirrohsis,

>but read on, and it speaks of chronic liver diseases. Anyone have an

>opinion

>on this?

>

>

>Maxim Says Drug Can Stop Liver Damage From

>Alcohol

>Reuters

>Mar 4 2002 11:54AM

>

>STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - U.S.-Swedish biotech Maxim Pharmaceuticals said on

>Monday an animal study showed that its drug Ceplene could completely

>reverse

>damage to the liver caused by alcohol.

>Pre-clinical testing showed that rats injected with ethanol and the

>company's

>drug Ceplene sustained no liver damage, while rats given only ethanol

>developed symptoms related to alcohol abuse, the company said. " We've shown

>we could completely reverse the damage made by the alcohol, " Maxim Chief

>Scientific Officer Kurt Gehlsen told analysts at a meeting in Stockholm.

>Maxim expects clinical testing of Ceplene against alcoholic liver disease

>and

>non-alcoholic steatohepatitis to start this year. Any drug must go through

>three different phases of clinical trials, which typically take several

>years, before being approved for sale to the public. In the United States

>one

>out of 10 people suffer from chronic liver diseases such as cirrhosis and

>fatty liver, Maxim said. Ceplene, with the scientific name histamine

>dihydrochloride, is also in clinical trials for use against hepatitis C and

>different forms of cancer. " Hepatitis C is a two billion dollar market, but

>this is way bigger ... I have to say we are pretty enthusiastic for the

>prospects of Ceplene against chronic liver diseases, " Maxim Chief Executive

>Larry Stambaugh said. The company's shares rose 3.7 percent to $5.94 in

>early

>U.S. trading, while they gained 3.3 percent to $5.99 in Stockholm on

>Monday.

>The company would not disclose any further details of the animal study,

>which

>will be presented at the EASL conference for liver studies in Madrid

>starting

>April 18. In late 2000, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration rejected

>Maxim's application to market Ceplene, then called Maxamine, for treatment

>of

>skin cancer. The company's shares then plunged 92 percent from levels above

>$60 in late 2000 to a low of $5.

>RTR/JSCIENCE-HEALTH-ALCOHOL-CIRRHOSIS-DC/

>

>

>

>

>

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

Guest guest

Thanks for the article about Ceplene! Fixing one problem can often lead to

learning enough to fix other problems, or even fix other problems. I don't

think one can put total boundaries around remedies; the science is too

complex. Thanks again!

>From: jterry05@...

>Reply-To:

>To:

>Subject: (no subject)

>Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:32:41 EST

>

>Did anyone see this article? I know this group isn't about alcohol

>cirrohsis,

>but read on, and it speaks of chronic liver diseases. Anyone have an

>opinion

>on this?

>

>

>Maxim Says Drug Can Stop Liver Damage From

>Alcohol

>Reuters

>Mar 4 2002 11:54AM

>

>STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - U.S.-Swedish biotech Maxim Pharmaceuticals said on

>Monday an animal study showed that its drug Ceplene could completely

>reverse

>damage to the liver caused by alcohol.

>Pre-clinical testing showed that rats injected with ethanol and the

>company's

>drug Ceplene sustained no liver damage, while rats given only ethanol

>developed symptoms related to alcohol abuse, the company said. " We've shown

>we could completely reverse the damage made by the alcohol, " Maxim Chief

>Scientific Officer Kurt Gehlsen told analysts at a meeting in Stockholm.

>Maxim expects clinical testing of Ceplene against alcoholic liver disease

>and

>non-alcoholic steatohepatitis to start this year. Any drug must go through

>three different phases of clinical trials, which typically take several

>years, before being approved for sale to the public. In the United States

>one

>out of 10 people suffer from chronic liver diseases such as cirrhosis and

>fatty liver, Maxim said. Ceplene, with the scientific name histamine

>dihydrochloride, is also in clinical trials for use against hepatitis C and

>different forms of cancer. " Hepatitis C is a two billion dollar market, but

>this is way bigger ... I have to say we are pretty enthusiastic for the

>prospects of Ceplene against chronic liver diseases, " Maxim Chief Executive

>Larry Stambaugh said. The company's shares rose 3.7 percent to $5.94 in

>early

>U.S. trading, while they gained 3.3 percent to $5.99 in Stockholm on

>Monday.

>The company would not disclose any further details of the animal study,

>which

>will be presented at the EASL conference for liver studies in Madrid

>starting

>April 18. In late 2000, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration rejected

>Maxim's application to market Ceplene, then called Maxamine, for treatment

>of

>skin cancer. The company's shares then plunged 92 percent from levels above

>$60 in late 2000 to a low of $5.

>RTR/JSCIENCE-HEALTH-ALCOHOL-CIRRHOSIS-DC/

>

>

>

>

>

Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com

• 7 months later...

(no subject) Mommy's Little Angel GirlThere came a frantic knock at the doctor's officedoor,A knock, more urgent than he had ever heard before."Come in, Come in," the impatient doctor said,"Come in, Come in, before you wake the dead."In walked a frightened little girl, a child no morethan nine. It wasplain for all to see, she had troubles on her mind."Oh doctor, I beg you, please come with me, my motheris surely dying,she's as sick as she can be.""I don't make house calls, bring your mother here,""But she's too sick, so you must come or she willdie I fear."The doctor, touched by her devotion, decided he wouldgo.She said he would be blessed, more than he could know.She led him to her house where her mother lay in bed.Her mother was so very sick she couldn't raise herhead.But her eyes cried out for help and help her thedoctor did. She wouldhave died that very night had it not been for her kid.The doctor got her fever down and she lived throughthe night, andmorning brought the doctor signs that she would be allright.The doctor said he had to leave but would return againby two. Later hecame back to check, just like he said he'd do.The mother praised the doctor for all the things he'ddone.He told her she would have died were it not for herlittle one."How proud you must be of your wonderful little girl.It was her pleading that made me come. She is reallyquite a pearl!""But doctor, my daughter died over three years ago.Is the picture on the wall of the little girl youknow?"The doctors legs went limp for the picture on the wallwas the samelittle girl for whom he'd made this call. The doctorstood motionlessfor quite a little while. Then his solemn face wasbroken by his smile.He was thinking of that frantic knock he heard at hisoffice door, andof the beautiful little angel that had walked acrosshis floor.Share the Blessing of Heavenly Love! If this E-mailmeant nothing toyou, you may go ahead and delete it because you willnot receive badluck only a smaller, misshaped heart.But if you shared the same emotions as I, then send itto all who willcare. And as you send it to each person, your heartwill grow bigger andstronger

(no subject) Mommy's Little Angel GirlThere came a frantic knock at the doctor's officedoor,A knock, more urgent than he had ever heard before."Come in, Come in," the impatient doctor said,"Come in, Come in, before you wake the dead."In walked a frightened little girl, a child no morethan nine. It wasplain for all to see, she had troubles on her mind."Oh doctor, I beg you, please come with me, my motheris surely dying,she's as sick as she can be.""I don't make house calls, bring your mother here,""But she's too sick, so you must come or she willdie I fear."The doctor, touched by her devotion, decided he wouldgo.She said he would be blessed, more than he could know.She led him to her house where her mother lay in bed.Her mother was so very sick she couldn't raise herhead.But her eyes cried out for help and help her thedoctor did. She wouldhave died that very night had it not been for her kid.The doctor got her fever down and she lived throughthe night, andmorning brought the doctor signs that she would be allright.The doctor said he had to leave but would return againby two. Later hecame back to check, just like he said he'd do.The mother praised the doctor for all the things he'ddone.He told her she would have died were it not for herlittle one."How proud you must be of your wonderful little girl.It was her pleading that made me come. She is reallyquite a pearl!""But doctor, my daughter died over three years ago.Is the picture on the wall of the little girl youknow?"The doctors legs went limp for the picture on the wallwas the samelittle girl for whom he'd made this call. The doctorstood motionlessfor quite a little while. Then his solemn face wasbroken by his smile.He was thinking of that frantic knock he heard at hisoffice door, andof the beautiful little angel that had walked acrosshis floor.Share the Blessing of Heavenly Love! If this E-mailmeant nothing toyou, you may go ahead and delete it because you willnot receive badluck only a smaller, misshaped heart.But if you shared the same emotions as I, then send itto all who willcare. And as you send it to each person, your heartwill grow bigger andstronger

• 5 years later...

ello,

I used to specialize in bariatric nutrition. For patients who still desire

additional weight loss, they should be consuming ~800 calories. Most of these

patients take a high dosage of a MVI (double the adult dosage of what is on the

label) and substitute in protein supplements to be sure to obtain a minimum of

70 gm-90 gm of protein per day. Patients are often told to consume no more than

4-6 ounces per meal, times 3 meals. Snacking is not allowed, especially if they

are still working on losing additional weight. You can make her goal be 800

calories or less per day, a minimum of 70 gm protein per day and a minimum of 64

ounces of fluid per day.

Let me know if you need any additional information re: post bariatric patients.

Have a great weekend.

Jeannette Kotrys, RD Clinical Dietitian

Jeannette

Get more out of the Web. Learn 10 hidden secrets of Windows Live.

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F68\

1DAD532637!5295.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_domore_092008