RemedySpot.com

Re: Suggestions on how to get 4 year old to take Cod Liver Oil?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If you keep the bottle in the freezer it will help mask the smell of

the fish which he may not like. This will also help if its repeating

on him. Carlson Labs also makes one that may taste better.

Tunie's Nutrition Center

5651 Coral Ridge Drive

Coral Springs, FL 33076

www.tunies.com

>

> Hi,

>

> My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been

> prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic

Naturals " strawberry "

> flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried

> putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every

> juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter

> between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small

sip

> before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's

> suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it

> but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and

it

> spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't

seem

> like an option for long term.

>

> Thank you for any suggestions!

>

> Liz

>

My 8 year old had the same aversion so I changed him to a tbsp. of organic flax oil (omega 3 rich) instead which he takes in his rice milk no problem. Could be worth a try.

Good luck!

Caroline

Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals " strawberry " flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz -- Caroline

My son wouldnt take Nordic Naturals (either strawberry or lemon) in no matter what I hid it in. 2 other Omega 3 supplements that are decent are: Gummy Omegalicious by Rainbow Light ( taste like a raspberry sour gummy )and Coromega (an orange pudding packet)....which I either mix in vanilla pudding or blend it with orange sorbet (for a milk free choice) My son likes the Coromega best. I bought them at Nutrition Smart in Pembroke Pines (Pines Blvd, west of Flamingo) Good luck! lizruderman wrote: Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals "strawberry" flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Try finding what his favorite thing is (a reinforcer). It needs to be spectacular like a starburst. Your kid may require more than that but start there. Starbursts are like gold in this house.

Start with a very small amount of oil in the syringe, not nearly the full dose, perhaps a quarter of a dose (shaping). Hold up his favorite item and say, "first, oil, then......(whatever the item is)." Gradually build up to the full dose over time.

Several things to remember: do not let him satiate on the reinforcer. Try to use it just for the oil until he has it down to the full dose, then gradually remove the reinforcer (cut starburst into small pieces and give less each time). You may need to switch up the reinforcer to something different each time as our kids struggle to attend, their motivators change often, so what works one day may not work on another.

Another trick I used with mine: Took him bike riding around the block, got him hot and thirsty (establishing operation, which makes the reinforcer more valuable). Upon returning, held up his absolute favorite ice cream along with the syringe. I did not even need to say anything.

Now, he will try to bargain for the oil (which is nasty) over his vitamins (equally nasty-but obviously not to him since he actually prefers cod liver oil-plain-over the vitamins).

I really struggled with the administration of supplements and vitamins and oil too using the holding down and forcing approaches. I just felt that those approaches would cause other behavioral problems in the future, along with causing my son to distrust me.

I found using behavioral approaches work best. I also always tell him what each thing is for and how it will help him.

Good luck and let me know if those things work. If not, perhaps I can help with some other strategies.

Suggestions on how to get 4 year old to take Cod Liver Oil?

Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals "strawberry" flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz

cod liver oil and flax seed oil are not the same and do not have all of the same properties.

My 8 year old had the same aversion so I changed him to a tbsp. of organic flax oil (omega 3 rich) instead which he takes in his rice milk no problem. Could be worth a try.

Good luck!

Caroline

On 1/17/08, lizruderman <lizruderman> wrote:

Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals "strawberry" flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz-- Caroline

No they're not the same but organic flax is a good alternative for a child who point blank refuses cod liver oil.

cod liver oil and flax seed oil are not the same and do not have all of the same properties.

Good luck!

Caroline

On 1/17/08, lizruderman <lizruderman@...

> wrote:

Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals " strawberry " flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz-- Caroline

-- Caroline

No they're not the same but organic flax is a good alternative for a child who point blank refuses cod liver oil.

Good luck!

Caroline

> wrote:

Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals " strawberry " flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz-- Caroline

-- Caroline

Good luck!

Caroline

> wrote:

-- Caroline

Try mixing it with a Gerber (stage 2) baby fruit--but it has to be banana based (banana only or banana as the first ingredient--the others are too watery). It eliminates all fish taste and all fishy after-taste. Because of the no-taste, now even I get my "CLO"!

Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals "strawberry" flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz

Try mixing it with a Gerber (stage 2) baby fruit--but it has to be banana based (banana only or banana as the first ingredient--the others are too watery). It eliminates all fish taste and all fishy after-taste. Because of the no-taste, now even I get my "CLO"!

Hi Liz, Carlsons makes a Nordic Cod Liver Oil in Lemon flavor. I keep it in the fridge and my 4 year old son drinks it straight from the medicine spoon with no problem. Good Luck, Aprillizruderman wrote: Hi, My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been prescribed Cod Liver Oil by his DAN doc (Nordic Naturals "strawberry" flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian

punch, HI-C, every juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small sip before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and it spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't seem like an option for long term.Thank you for any suggestions!Liz

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Hi Liz,

I have a question about Global Developmental Delays

and Autism. Would you mind if I emailed you off-list?

Thanks,

Jen Hanawalt

--- lizruderman wrote:

> Hi,

>

> My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental

> Delays) has been

> Naturals " strawberry "

> flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry).

> I have tried

> putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian

> punch, HI-C, every

> juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in

> peanut butter

> between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more

> than a small sip

> before pushing it away and refusing any more. At

> the doctor's

> suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing

> him to take it

> but this is not effective, either (he fights and is

> miserable and it

> spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose)

> and doesn't seem

>

>

> Liz

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

My son takes all of his supplements, including his CLO in his 2 daily yogurts. It's the only way he will take them! HTH

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

You can do ice cubes with juice and mix the cod liver oil in it,

Also, there are gels that you can give him, they like to pop it, and

they drink the inside and spill the capsule part, it from nordic and

it comes in strawberry flavor and lemon.

> Hi,

>

> My 4 year old son (Autism, Global Developmental Delays) has been

Naturals " strawberry "

> flavor but it really doesn't taste like strawberry). I have tried

> putting it in grape juice, apple juice, Hawaiian punch, HI-C, every

> juice drink you can think of and also mixing it in peanut butter

> between 2 GF crackers. I cannot get him to take more than a small

sip

> before pushing it away and refusing any more. At the doctor's

> suggestion I have tried holding him down and forcing him to take it

> but this is not effective, either (he fights and is miserable and

it

> spills everywhere and he still doesn't get the dose) and doesn't

seem

>

>

> Liz

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

>