RemedySpot.com

Re: ? about McKay

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have been told that they quit letting you use it for homeschooling I think it was about 2 yrs ago. My friend used it for 1 yr for home schooling and now he is paying out of pocket. I wish it could be used for homeschooling because that is what I would probably do myslef. DawnBerla67@... wrote: Hi Listmates, Just wondering if anyone knows if

there are any resources by which you can get your child's McKay scholarship $$ and use it for homeschooling - Just thinking ahead .... Thanks ! Dawn

www.shoppingcartblankie.com

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Hi Listmates,

Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any resources by which

you can get your child's McKay scholarship $$ and use it for

homeschooling -

Just thinking ahead ....

Until the 2006 Legislative session when SB256 passed it was possible

to use the McKay Scholarship to school your child at home with

certain restrictions.

SB256 calls for " regular and direct contact with the students

teachers at the schools physical location. " This effectively ended

that facet of the McKay Scholarship and disenfranchised the 100+

disabled students that had been schooling at home from a scholarship

for disabled students because of the severity of their disability.

Last year a group of parents got a Bill passed through the House and

a Bill heard on the Senate floor that was withdrawn because SB256's

original sponsor, Senator Jim King, spoke against it.

The 2008 session starts in March and we will again be lobbying for

this school choice. If you are interested e-mail me off line and I'll

be happy to fill you in and link you to a video history from the 2007

session.

Steve Moyer

There should be a way but there is not. Last year the Board of Education closed this option..there were several home based schooling providers who handled the McKay paperwork and provided contact with the students periodically and they took a fee for being certified to get MaKay money (out of the award). The children using the providers were being home schooled and getting behavioral programs that the public school does not provide. Services through the clusters are limited as we allknow.This is not an option any longer and I was involved in one of these agencies to facilitate my son using McKay money to attend a new start up school. It got complicated as New Schools have to have at least one year in business for McKay certification in order to get state funds...contact me off line if you want more details...Good Luck with wahtever your decision is...

-------------- Original message from "Steve Moyer" : --------------

Hi Listmates,Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any resources by which you can get your child's McKay scholarship $$ and use it for homeschooling - Just thinking ahead ....Until the 2006 Legislative session when SB256 passed it was possible to use the McKay Scholarship to school your child at home with certain restrictions.SB256 calls for "regular and direct contact with the students teachers at the schools physical location." This effectively ended that facet of the McKay Scholarship and disenfranchised the 100+ disabled students that had been schooling at home from a scholarship for disabled students because of the severity of their disability.Last year a group of parents got a Bill passed through the House and a Bill heard on the Senate floor that was withdrawn because SB256's original sponsor, Senator Jim King, spoke against it.The 2008 session starts in March and we will again be lobbyi

ng for this school choice. If you are interested e-mail me off line and I'll be happy to fill you in and link you to a video history from the 2007 session.Steve Moyer

There should be a way but there is not. Last year the Board of Education closed this option..there were several home based schooling providers who handled the McKay paperwork and provided contact with the students periodically and they took a fee for being certified to get MaKay money (out of the award). The children using the providers were being home schooled and getting behavioral programs that the public school does not provide. Services through the clusters are limited as we allknow.This is not an option any longer and I was involved in one of these agencies to facilitate my son using McKay money to attend a new start up school. It got complicated as New Schools have to have at least one year in business for McKay certification in order to get state funds...contact me off line if you want more details...Good Luck with wahtever your decision is...

-------------- Original message from "Steve Moyer" : --------------

Hi Listmates,Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any resources by which you can get your child's McKay scholarship $$ and use it for homeschooling - Just thinking ahead ....Until the 2006 Legislative session when SB256 passed it was possible to use the McKay Scholarship to school your child at home with certain restrictions.SB256 calls for "regular and direct contact with the students teachers at the schools physical location." This effectively ended that facet of the McKay Scholarship and disenfranchised the 100+ disabled students that had been schooling at home from a scholarship for disabled students because of the severity of their disability.Last year a group of parents got a Bill passed through the House and a Bill heard on the Senate floor that was withdrawn because SB256's original sponsor, Senator Jim King, spoke against it.The 2008 session starts in March and we will again be lobbyi

ng for this school choice. If you are interested e-mail me off line and I'll be happy to fill you in and link you to a video history from the 2007 session.Steve Moyer

Hi, There are a few schools that are considered Home Schools that accept McKay like Open Doorway in Palm Beack. ThanksJeanC@... wrote: There should be a way but there is not. Last year the Board of Education closed this option..there were several home based schooling providers who handled the McKay paperwork and provided contact with the students periodically and they took a fee for

being certified to get MaKay money (out of the award). The children using the providers were being home schooled and getting behavioral programs that the public school does not provide. Services through the clusters are limited as we allknow.This is not an option any longer and I was involved in one of these agencies to facilitate my son using McKay money to attend a new start up school. It got complicated as New Schools have to have at least one year in business for McKay certification in order to get state funds...contact me off line if you want more details...Good Luck with wahtever your decision is... -------------- Original message from "Steve Moyer" <ssmoyergate (DOT) net>: -------------- Hi Listmates,Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any

resources by which you can get your child's McKay scholarship $$ and use it for homeschooling - Just thinking ahead ....Until the 2006 Legislative session when SB256 passed it was possible to use the McKay Scholarship to school your child at home with certain restrictions.SB256 calls for "regular and direct contact with the students teachers at the schools physical location." This effectively ended that facet of the McKay Scholarship and disenfranchised the 100+ disabled students that had been schooling at home from a scholarship for disabled students because of the severity of their disability.Last year a group of parents got a Bill passed through the House and a Bill heard on the Senate floor that was withdrawn because SB256's original sponsor, Senator Jim King, spoke against it.The 2008 session starts in March and we will again be lobbyi ng for this school choice. If you are interested

e-mail me off line and I'll be happy to fill you in and link you to a video history from the 2007 session.Steve Moyer

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

> Here is a little clarification for you on the McKay funding:

As of last year McKay said that if your child was HOME SCHOOLED, the

teacher could no longer come into your home to do the schooling on an

individualized bases. However, you can still bring your child to a

school that is McKay certified to teach at your child's grade level.

I was doing the home schooling for children with Autism and related

disorders when this change came about for a company called Open

Doorway Inc., in Palm Beach County. We had to quickly had to find a

location house the kids, we have grown from 4 students to our current

enrollment of 12 students. We still provide instruction on an

individualized program and it actually has worked out quite well for

both the students and the instructors. I hope that this information

helps all of you. You can find out what schools except the McKay and

also work with children with autism and related disorders on the

McKay website. Good Luck st year the Board of Education closed this

option..there were several home based schooling providers who handled

the McKay paperwork and provided contact with the students

periodically and they took a fee for being certified to get MaKay

money (out of the award). The children using the providers were

being home schooled and getting behavioral programs that the public

school does not provide. Services through the clusters are limited

as we allknow.This is not an option any longer and I was involved in

one of these agencies to facilitate my son using McKay money to

attend a new start up school. It got complicated as New Schools have

to have at least one year in business for McKay certification in

order to get state funds...contact me off line if you want more

details...Good Luck with wahtever your decision is...

>

>

>

>

>

> -------------- Original message from " Steve Moyer " : --

------------

>

> Hi Listmates,

> Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any resources by which

> you can get your child's McKay scholarship $$ and use it for

> homeschooling -

> Just thinking ahead ....

>

> Until the 2006 Legislative session when SB256 passed it was

possible

> to use the McKay Scholarship to school your child at home with

> certain restrictions.

>

> SB256 calls for " regular and direct contact with the students

> teachers at the schools physical location. " This effectively ended

> that facet of the McKay Scholarship and disenfranchised the 100+

> disabled students that had been schooling at home from a

scholarship

> for disabled students because of the severity of their disability.

>

> Last year a group of parents got a Bill passed through the House

and

> a Bill heard on the Senate floor that was withdrawn because SB256's

> original sponsor, Senator Jim King, spoke against it.

>

> The 2008 session starts in March and we will again be lobbying for

> this school choice. If you are interested e-mail me off line and

I'll

> be happy to fill you in and link you to a video history from the

> session.

>

> Steve Moyer

>