RemedySpot.com

FW: glutenfree.com newsletter 2008-01-11

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is the website/e-mail newsletter I was referring to earlier.

Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 10:51:59 -0800From: noreply@...To: grncard@...Subject: glutenfree.com newsletter 2008-01-11

January 11, 2008 Newsletter - Weekly Issue

2008/01/11 - Volume 3 - Issue #1B

IN THIS ISSUE • recently added products• what's for breakfast • monthly specials• questions & answers• links• comments

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS

Q1. Are there any restaurants? - Downriver, that have a gluten-free menu. I have had the pizza at Baldo's on Telegraph in Brownstown but not always available. Really missing good pizza and mexican food. Really enjoy the newsletter - so very helpful.........Alice

The new glutenfree.com catalog will hit the mail in the next few weeks, however the electronic version is already available! Click on the catalog picture to access our e-catalog right now!

A1. Hi Alice, You and I are on different rivers so I am not sure I know about your geographic location. I would suggest visiting the Restaurant Awareness program. They do a wonderful job of listing restaurants by geographic area that have a gluten-free menu. Thank you to Pat McGregor and the Westchester Celiac Support Group for starting this program and to Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) for taking it to a national level. Here is the web site. http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/

Q2. Dear Beth- I have a question for you! I was invited to a barbeque at my nephew's home and his wife was incredibly considerate of my diet. After dinner, I complimented my nephew on the chicken. It turned out that it had been done on the grill by inserting an opened can of beer inside a whole chicken. My concern is that, as the beer evaporated, the gluten might have been transferred to the meat. Do you think that's possible? I can't decide. As I am one of those celiacs who has no immediate reaction to the ingestion of gluten, I can't tell if it was damaging and I'd be interested in another opinion. Beth

A2. Dear Beth, I would not make a habit of eating chicken made this way. However, if it was good, and it sounds delicious, you could try making it with gluten-free beer if there is one that comes in a can. Beth Q3. I enjoy reading your newsletter. It is very helpful! I was wondering if unsweetened cocoa powder that is processed with alkali is considered gluten-free. Do you know why some cocoa is processed this way, and other kinds aren't? Thank you. Elaine

A3. Dear Elaine, Cocoa powder is basically broken into two groups- Dutch processed and natural. The Dutch processed is alkalized and the result is a red-brown shade and milder flavor. The natural is not processed and is darker and higher in acidity. The alkali process is simply a process that makes the cocoa powder less acidic. The process and the resulting cocoa is gluten-free. Baking soda is one way to neutralize natural cocoa and convert it to Dutch process cocoa. Just add 1 tsp. of baking soda to 1 cup of natural cocoa. Hope this helps, Beth Q4. Dear Beth, You are indeed providing a wonderful service with your website! I don’t know where we would turn without it. I just had to respond to the query about Benefiber. I had been diagnosed with Celiac about 2 1/2 years ago, and did fine for about one year on the gluten-free diet. When I started having gastro problems again I thought I had become intolerant of more foods; soon my list of can have foods was shorter than the can nots. As it turns out, I was simply eating way too much fiber! I had replaced bread and crackers with veggies, and cakes and pies with fruit! When I followed the advice of my new Gastro Doc. to cut down on fiber, sure enough I got better and better. She also recommended Activia yogurt and after about 4 days I see a big improvement. Right now they are offering a money back guarantee on specially marked containers; “if it doesn’t work, it’s free”. I don’t think I’ll need to collect on that. Oh, one more thing; she told me I had been misdiagnosed – I’m only gluten intolerant. Still need you though; Sincerely, CaroleA4. Dear Carole, Thank you for that helpful advice and your nice comments about our website. I found the same advice on fiber held true for me and I believe many others will find your recommendations helpful as well. Beth Q5. Beth, Avenin is the name of the oat protein/prolamine that is comparable to wheat's gliadin. In other words, when we are concerned about gluten in oats, we're talking about whether celiacs react to avenin or not. I thoroughly enjoy your Q & A in the glutenfree.com newsletter. Lynn Rainwater

A5. Hi Lynn, So glad to hear from you. You are absolutely correct. Case sent me a whole e-mail of information that we published in the last newsletter. I also found her reference to Avenin, but it was after I had replied to our reader. Thanks for your input and clarification. I think many people will find this helpful. BethQ6. Hi Beth, I would like to comment on your remark that ALL Newman's Own dressings are gluten-free. I had just checked this out and according to their website, the Family Recipe Italian dressing and Low Fat Sesame Ginger dressings contain gluten. Do you have some information that this has changed? If not, you might want to correct this statement in your next newsletter. Take care and thank you for all that you do. Barbara Hicks, Leader , Tri Lakes Celiac Support Gorup Disclaimer --- I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful. Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation. Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protectionA6. Hi Barbara, Thank you for that helpful information. I believe I said “most” but if not, I certainly should have. Yes, a few of their products are NOT gluten-free. Thank you for pointing that out. Beth Q7. I am 83 years old !! I was never diagnosed by the medical profession, and tried for over 20 years to find out what made me have terrible attacks of diarrhea, vomiting and lots of pain. Finally my daughter sent me a newspaper article about gluten... I went onto the computer and found out all I could about gluten, stopped eating it , and joy - joy, now no more attacks. But I also read that when you are diagnosed (which as I said before.. I never was), at an older age you have it hard... right.. I agree. I can look back on my childhood and see signs of it ALL of my life. But I am writing to tell you about "Juice Plus", which are capsules of 8 organic fruits and 8 organic's vegetables that are so great for celiacs. The first time I took them I got so much energy, which was explained by the fact that the vegetables were not being used before by my body as nutrients. So I am an advocate of Juice Plus. Vitamins do not supply the same things as the "real" God made vegetables and fruits. Hope you can use this idea... gerry foster A7. Dear Gerry, You sound pretty energetic, especially for someone who is 83! I’m glad the diet is making life easier for you and thank you for your suggestion about Juice Plus. I don’t know if it is 100% gluten-free so I would recommend calling the manufacturer before using this, but if it is safe, I’m getting some! Stay Well, Beth Q8. Hi Beth, Your column is very informative, I read it with attention every time and always learn something. FYI, if it should come up again, avenin is the storage form of protein for oats -- as gliadin is for wheat, hordein for barley, and secalin for rye. Best, Sue Adley-WarrickA8. Hi Sue, Thank you for the information. I’ve received several comments about avenin, but did not know the terms for the protein in wheat, barley and rye. Thanks again for enlightening all of us. Beth Q9. Dear Sirs/ Madam, Thank you for your informative newsletter and list of products. I have started a range of dry bread, muffin and waffle mixes in South Africa which are wheat, gluten, dairy and yeast free. One person has questioned my use of millet, saying that it contains gluten. I have asked various persons about millet containing gluten and have been told that it does not contain gluten. Apparently there are some books out there that say it does contain gluten. Could you clear this up for me please. Does millet contain gluten? Kind regards, TilneyA9. Dear , Unless the millet is processed on shared equipment that is also processing wheat and other gluten-filled grains, it should be fine. Millet itself is gluten-free and one of my favorite grains. It has a healthy profile, being high in fiber and protein. Good luck with your business. Beth

THANKS TO THE SUPPORT OF ALL OUR SPONSORS FOR THE 2007-2008 CATALOG

RECENTLY ADDED PRODUCTS

Even those with special dietary needs deserve “only the best.” Made with all natural ingredients, this hard-to-find angel hair pasta is perfect for your favorite sauces.

#954075 Deboles - Angel Hair PastaPrice: $2.09

To anyone who has tasted Really Great Food cakes…this one ranks at the very top of the list.

#956079 Really Great Food - Pineapple Cake MixPrice: $5.95

The home-made taste of pumpkin pie with the rich and moist texture of our cakes. A unique creation sure to win your approval. (Requires real pumpkin.)

#956080 Really Great Food - Pumpkin Bread Cake MixPrice: $5.95

Our gluten-free Ceros are the delicious and nutritious start to your day, and are great as a quick and easy snack. Made with whole pinto beans and rice, and just a touch of sugar.

#958061 Heartland's Finest - Original CerO'sPrice: $5.09

Our gluten-free Ceros are the delicious and nutritious start to your day, and are great as a quick and easy snack. Made with whole pinto beans and rice, and just a touch of sugar.

#958062 Heartland's Finest - Cinnamon CerO'sPrice: $5.89

Our Premium Pasta has a great taste and is made from nutritious whole dry bean flour.This pasta cooks up beautifully and is delicious.

#954071 Heartland's Finest - White Cheddar Mac & CheesePrice: $4.45

Our Premium Pasta has a great taste and is made from nutritious whole dry bean flour. The ziti shape is similar to penne, only smaller. This pasta cooks up beautifully and is delicious hot, warm, or even cold.

#954072 Heartland's Finest - Ziti PastaPrice: $4.95

Our Premium Pasta has a great taste and is made from nutritious whole dry bean flour. The linguini shape is similar to fettucini only narrower. This pasta cooks up beautifully and is delicious hot or cold.

#954073 Heartland's Finest - Linguini PastaPrice: $4.95

Our Premium Pasta has a great taste and is made from nutritious whole dry bean flour. This lasagne noodle does not need to be pre-boiled.

#954074 Heartland's Finest - LasagnaPrice: $4.95

Click here to see our other new products.

WHAT'S FOR BREAKFAST?

What’s for Breakfast? That seems to be the question of the day for most people on a gluten-free diet. With most cereals and breads off limits, that narrows the field considerably.

Recently Lani of Clan (www.clanthompson.com)and Beth Hillson put their heads together to come up with some breakfast ideas for our readers. Beth also prepared a special Egg in a Ramekin to share. It’s easy to make and bakes while you’re getting ready for the day. A picture and recipe are included.

Here are some of their tips:

Cereals:

Post Cereal says that FRUITY PEBBLES is gluten free.

The natural flavor is derived from citrus. However, it is manufactured in a facility that also produces gluten containing cereals.

General Mills says TRIX (regular) is also gluten free (see note below).

The company says this product was re-formulated but old boxes may still be on the shelves. Customers should check the label. If no wheat is listed on the box, then they have the new GF product.

General Mills says its gluten free selections include NEOPETS ISLAND BERRY CRUNCH and DORA THE EXPLORER.

For those who don't care for pre-sweetened cereals,

Health Valley Products offers RICE CRUNCH EMS. This cereal is very similar to Rice Chex.

The above products are not made in a gluten free facility.

Celiacs who prefer to only use products made on dedicated lines or in a gluten free facility should stick to companies like NATURE'S PATH or ALTI PLANO.

Nature's Path manufactures the following gluten-free cereals:

NATURE'S PATH CORN FLAKES (fruit juice sweetened or Honey'd), (#958027)

ENVIROKIDZ AMAZON FROSTED FLAKES (#958020)

ENVIROKIDZ PEANUT BUTTER PANDA PUFFS (#958022)

ENVIROKIDZ GORILLA MUNCH (#958024)

ENVIROKIDZ KOALA CRISP (#958021)

Alti Plano says their hot cereals are tested and certified gluten free with no cross contamination. They include:

ENJOY LIFE FOODS GRANOLA (cinnamon crunch - very berry - cranapple crunch) is certified gluten free by the Gluten Free Certification Organization, a program of the Gluten Intolerance Group. (#958001 & #958002)

Both ENER-G FOODS and KINNIKINNICK offer a selection of GLUTEN FREE DOUGHNUTS (#952013) and MUFFINS. (#957061)

There are a number of good gluten free pancake and waffle mixes on the market, too, including:

FAST AND FRESH MINUTE WAFFLE MIX,

NAMASTE FOODS WAFFLE AND PANCAKE MIX (#956014)

KINNIKINNICK FOODS PANCAKE & WAFFLE MIX (#956037)

Frozen Waffles:

LIFE STREAM MESA SUNRISE OR BUCKWHEAT WILDBERRY WAFFLES are isolated from products containing gluten and the processing equipment is thoroughly cleaned before they're made.

VAN'S WHEAT FREE (AND GLUTEN FREE) TOASTER WAFFLES include blueberry, original flavor or minis.

Syrup:For those who like syrup on their pancakes and waffles, AUNT JEMIMA says their Original or Lite syrups are gluten free. According to B & G Foods, VERMONT MAID sugar free syrup is also gluten free and the manufacturers of LOG CABIN COUNTRY KITCHEN SYRUP or Golden Griddle Syrup say their products are also gluten free.

Sausage and Bacon:Sausage and Bacon are natural complements to waffles. Manufacturers report the following products to be gluten free: Shelton's Turkey Breakfast Sausage (0-48481-00981-5), Jennie-O Turkey Store Fresh Breakfast Sausage (mild links - mild patties - maple links), Land O' Frost Canadian Style Bacon, Applegate Farms Turkey Bacon, and Hormel Canadian Style Bacon.

New Granola:A relative newcomer to the gluten-free cereal aisle is BAKERY ON MAIN GRANOLA. It comes in five flavors which are carried on our web site: (#958010, #958011, #958012, #958045 and #958046).

The easy egg and ham ramekin breakfast is one that Beth makes frequently.

2 slices of ham (Boar’s Head Rosemary Ham is good)3 eggs or 6 egg whites, lightly beaten

NOW ON SPECIAL - January 1st, 2008

This month we have products from these brands on special:

Larabar - 10% off Lesser Evil - 10% off 's Gone Crackers - 10% off Perky O's Cereals - 10% off Thai Kitchen - 10% off

Bumble Bar - Tasty TropicalRegular Price: $2.19SPECIAL PRICE: $1.99Bumble Bar - Chocolate CrispRegular Price: $1.89SPECIAL PRICE: $1.69Bumble Bar - Chunky CherryRegular Price: $2.19SPECIAL PRICE: $1.99Bragg - Liquid AminosRegular Price: $3.99SPECIAL PRICE: $3.39Enjoy Life Foods - Not Nuts Beach BashRegular Price: $3.29SPECIAL PRICE: $2.69Glutino - Pretzels Twist - Family BagRegular Price: $5.99SPECIAL PRICE: $5.35Glutino - Pretzel Sticks - Family BagRegular Price: $5.99SPECIAL PRICE: $5.35Please note that monthly specials may not be used with case discounts and are available only while supplies last. In case of a pricing discrepancy, the listed price on www.glutenfree.com will apply

We carry over 650 gluten-free products from brands such as:

'Cause You're Special, Alti Plano, Amy's, Ancient Harvest, ANDI, Annie's, Arico, Bakery On Main, Barkat, Bi-Aglut, Bionaturae, Blue Diamond, Bob's Red Mill, Breads From , Bumble Bar, Cerrone, Chebe, Cherrybrook Kitchen, Cook in the Kitchen, Cream Hill Estates, Credentials, Dakota Lakes, Dowd & , Dr. Schar, and Sons, Ener-G, Enjoy Life Foods, Erewhon, Food-Tek, Freeda, Glutano, Gluten-Free Pantry, Glutino, Guiltless, Health Valley, Heinz, Hendrickson's, IMCG, Jennies, Jo-Sef Glutin-Fre-ee, Kari-out, Kingsmill, Kinnikinnick, Kitchen Resource, Kitchen Table Bakers, La Tortilla Factory, Larabar, Lesser Evil, Let's Do Organic, Lundberg, 's Gone Crackers, Maxwell's Kitchen, Midel, Missy's, Modern, Mother's Mountain, My Own Meals, Namaste, Nature's Path, New Morning, Nielsen-Massey, Omega, Organic Trails, Organicville, Orgran, Pamela's Products, Pastariso, Pastato, Perky's Natural Foods, Premier Japan, Publications, PureFit, Really Great Food, Road's End Organics, Running Rabbit, San-J, Shelton's, Sorella, Spectrum, Tasty Bite, Thai Kitchen, Tinkyada, Troy's, Vance's, Wizard, Zojirushi and many more!

You can also place your order over the phone by calling our customer service team.

1-

LINKS

• Click here to forward this newsletter to a friend. • glutenfree.com has a time-honored reputation as the Number One on-line shopping center for gluten-free consumers; people have depended on us since 1995.• glutenfree.com Celiac Forums is a resource for those with Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerance. Stop by today and share your special holiday recipes or find a few new ones.

COMMENTS

Please click here if you have a comment, question or a suggestion to send to the glutenfree.com newsletter team. We appreciate your comments and questions, however given the high volume of client inquiries, we regret that it is not always possible to reply to each submission. We appreciate your understanding.

Copyright © glutenfree.com