RemedySpot.com

FW: [AutismRecoveryNetwork] Organizing for adults and kids with disabilities and your legal rights

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Note: This was forwarded from another listserv.

[AutismRecoveryNetwork] Organizing for adults and kids with disabilities and your legal rights

As many of us who deal with children and adults with disabilities, organizing can be a particular challenge. Filing cabinets simply do not work and organization needs to be tailored to the specific disability. As a professional organizer I have come across many helpful tips and tricks while working with special needs. For children with ADHD/ADD, autism, and similar disorders putting papers into a filing cabinet may not work. Using baskets to store similar papers and using colors, labels or pictures to distinguish between the baskets works very well. Placing the baskets in a bookshelf with doors helps to minimize the visible clutter and keeps the space calm and fiocused as well. For adults with disabilities I have found a great article about the legal rights in regards to clutter. It can be found here:http://www.housekeepingchannel.com/a_464-Office_Clutter_Cure a quote from the article states:"Federal law, through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Housing Amendments Act (FHAA), in addition to California law, define a disability as a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more life activities, such as walking, seeing, hearing, working, learning or caring for oneself. These laws also consider a person to have a disability if he or she either has a history of or is regarded as having such an impairment."Another place not listed in the article to find help is through a Professional Organizer. It is not uncommon to find you need assistance setting up and maintaining organizational systems - and a professional can be worth their weight in gold. I hope this helps some of you - keep up the great work!"There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirrorthat reflects it." --Edith Wharton~Suzanna Professional Organizer in FloridaA Space That WorksTo contact me to set up an appointment call: or email me at suzannakaye at gmail.com ( suzannakayegmail)**All work is 100% confidential. We also work weekends!