RemedySpot.com

Fw: PBS special Aspergers syndrome

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 1/1/2008 5:14:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, BLESSINGSX10 writes: http://www.orchardpictures.com/todaysmanPremiers: WTTW (PBS) on January 8th at check your local

listing timesFrom the Director:From the time my brother was born, we could tell that he was not like otherchildren. As a small child he had amazing skills- could tell you what day of theweek you were born, could figure prime numbers into the thousands, but he wasincapable of holding a real conversation, of making friends. No one could tellus what might be wrong with Nicky or how to help him. I grew up struggling tounderstand a strange and brilliant and mysterious boy.As a young man Nicky does not quite seem to be disabled, but is also not fullyfunctional. It is not until Nicky is twenty that we learn of a new diagnosiscalled Asperger Syndrome - a high functioning form of Autism - and it seems tofit Nicky exactly. Suddenly we are not alone. And there is an explanation forhis behavior. But no cure, and in fact, no clearer treatment or plan. AsAsperger Syndrome is still so newly recognized, no one can tell us what he

iscapable of, what may help him realize his dreams, or what his limitations maybe.I started making this film when Nicky turned 21 - to explore the extraordinarypath that had gotten him and us to this point, and to follow what might happenas he tries to get a job, keep a job, move into his own apartment, create a lifefor himself. In the film, I follow him for the next six years as he leaves thesafety or our family's home to go out into a world that he is not fully preparedfor and that may not be fully prepared for him.Asperger Sydrome has gotten lot of attention in the media lately, but the focusseems to be on young children with the disorder - "little professors." No oneseems to be asking what happens when these little professors grow up. There islittle public awareness of, or resources for, adults with Asperger Syndrome.Today's Man is at once a personal exploration of a family drama, and also alarger effort to create

an awareness and understanding of this fascinating,mysterious disorder. See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.