RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Newbie - update

Rate this topic

Guest guest

There is a metric known as PSA density. It means that the higher the ratio of PSA to relative prostate size, the greater the risk of cancer. If your prostate is near normal size, then you might ask for the newer PSA3 test, which, I been hearing, is much more specific for cancer activity identification than the older PSA. Of course, if the DRE is positive for a lump or growth, then the prostate biopsy is definitely in order. So would a positive PSA3 test. The only definitive test, of course, is the prostate biopsy. Because the biopsy process is fairly invasive and somewhat costly, it is something that is simply not done on a routine primary screening basis.

Louis. . .

Re: Newbie - update

I appreciate everyone's responses to my question below. Here is thelatest. My PSA is now 4, and the % free PSA is 15.3%. According tothe lab report the chances of having cancer is 17%. I don't think Ihave any infection or symptoms that would make me rule out cancer. The PSA raise is the major issue that makes me really think I am introuble (with the exception of methodology). My dad died of lungcancer at 75 so I have a history of cancer.The doctor said sex within 48 hours would not have caused this raise.Labcorp used the Roche ECLIA Methodology in all my recent test and theprevious test were from Quest Diagnostics using the BayerChemiluminescent method.This year my alcohol drinking is up. I'm up to about a drink or two anight. Some nights alittle more and others none at all.I just have an awfully bad feeling there is a problem here.Thanks again,Tony>> I'm looking to see if anyone has the same issue I have. My PSA was> around 2.4 for a few years, up and down by a 0.1 or so. I am 50 yrs> old. This last PSA went up from 2.4 to 3.6, a whole 1.2 in a year> time. I'm waiting for my latest PSA test taken this Friday. My> alcohol intake is up alittle from previous years. I'm waiting for my> free PSA test result so I am obviously somewhat nervous.> > The information that I have received from this group without posting a> message and only joining sounds encouraging but everything you read on> the web sounds like I have the worst case of cancer in the world and I> will be dead in days. I guess the 1.2 raise is somewhat the main> issue. My doctor says a raise of 0.7 is when they start looking.> > If anyone has a similar issue, I would be interested to hear about> your situation.> > Thanks > Tony>

There is a metric known as PSA density. It means that the higher the ratio of PSA to relative prostate size, the greater the risk of cancer. If your prostate is near normal size, then you might ask for the newer PSA3 test, which, I been hearing, is much more specific for cancer activity identification than the older PSA. Of course, if the DRE is positive for a lump or growth, then the prostate biopsy is definitely in order. So would a positive PSA3 test. The only definitive test, of course, is the prostate biopsy. Because the biopsy process is fairly invasive and somewhat costly, it is something that is simply not done on a routine primary screening basis.

Louis. . .

I appreciate everyone's responses to my question below. Here is thelatest. My PSA is now 4, and the % free PSA is 15.3%. According tothe lab report the chances of having cancer is 17%. I don't think Ihave any infection or symptoms that would make me rule out cancer. The PSA raise is the major issue that makes me really think I am introuble (with the exception of methodology). My dad died of lungcancer at 75 so I have a history of cancer.The doctor said sex within 48 hours would not have caused this raise.Labcorp used the Roche ECLIA Methodology in all my recent test and theprevious test were from Quest Diagnostics using the BayerChemiluminescent method.This year my alcohol drinking is up. I'm up to about a drink or two anight. Some nights alittle more and others none at all.I just have an awfully bad feeling there is a problem here.Thanks again,Tony>> I'm looking to see if anyone has the same issue I have. My PSA was> around 2.4 for a few years, up and down by a 0.1 or so. I am 50 yrs> old. This last PSA went up from 2.4 to 3.6, a whole 1.2 in a year> time. I'm waiting for my latest PSA test taken this Friday. My> alcohol intake is up alittle from previous years. I'm waiting for my> free PSA test result so I am obviously somewhat nervous.> > The information that I have received from this group without posting a> message and only joining sounds encouraging but everything you read on> the web sounds like I have the worst case of cancer in the world and I> will be dead in days. I guess the 1.2 raise is somewhat the main> issue. My doctor says a raise of 0.7 is when they start looking.> > If anyone has a similar issue, I would be interested to hear about> your situation.> > Thanks > Tony>

Tony,

Assays done by different methods are not

directly comparable. They are sometimes (but not always) adjusted to be

comparable, but this incorporates an error margin.

All the best

Terry Herbert

I have no medical

qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since

then.

My sites are at www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za

Dr

“Snuffy” Myers : " As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of

the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate

data "

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of sureshot8

Sent: Thursday, 4 December 2008

2:18 PM

To: ProstateCancerSupport

Subject:

I appreciate everyone's responses to my question

below. Here is the

latest. My PSA is now 4, and the % free PSA is 15.3%. According to

the lab report the chances of having cancer is 17%. I don't think I

have any infection or symptoms that would make me rule out cancer.

The PSA raise is the major issue that makes me really think I am in

trouble (with the exception of methodology). My dad died of lung

cancer at 75 so I have a history of cancer.

The doctor said sex within 48 hours would not have caused this raise.

Labcorp used the Roche ECLIA Methodology in all my recent test and the

previous test were from Quest Diagnostics using the Bayer

Chemiluminescent method.

This year my alcohol drinking is up. I'm up to about a drink or two a

night. Some nights alittle more and others none at all.

I just have an awfully bad feeling there is a problem here.

Thanks again,

Tony

>

> I'm looking to see if anyone has the same issue I have. My PSA was

> around 2.4 for a few years, up and down by a 0.1 or so. I am 50 yrs

> old. This last PSA went up from 2.4 to 3.6, a whole 1.2 in a year

> time. I'm waiting for my latest PSA test taken this Friday. My

> alcohol intake is up alittle from previous years. I'm waiting for my

> free PSA test result so I am obviously somewhat nervous.

>

> The information that I have received from this group without posting a

> message and only joining sounds encouraging but everything you read on

> the web sounds like I have the worst case of cancer in the world and I

> will be dead in days. I guess the 1.2 raise is somewhat the main

> issue. My doctor says a raise of 0.7 is when they start looking.

>

> If anyone has a similar issue, I would be interested to hear about

> your situation.

>

> Thanks

> Tony

>

Tony,

Assays done by different methods are not

directly comparable. They are sometimes (but not always) adjusted to be

comparable, but this incorporates an error margin.

All the best

Terry Herbert

I have no medical

qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since

then.

My sites are at www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za

Dr

“Snuffy” Myers : " As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of

the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate

data "

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of sureshot8

Sent: Thursday, 4 December 2008

2:18 PM

To: ProstateCancerSupport

Subject:

I appreciate everyone's responses to my question

below. Here is the

latest. My PSA is now 4, and the % free PSA is 15.3%. According to

the lab report the chances of having cancer is 17%. I don't think I

have any infection or symptoms that would make me rule out cancer.

The PSA raise is the major issue that makes me really think I am in

trouble (with the exception of methodology). My dad died of lung

cancer at 75 so I have a history of cancer.

The doctor said sex within 48 hours would not have caused this raise.

Labcorp used the Roche ECLIA Methodology in all my recent test and the

previous test were from Quest Diagnostics using the Bayer

Chemiluminescent method.

This year my alcohol drinking is up. I'm up to about a drink or two a

night. Some nights alittle more and others none at all.

I just have an awfully bad feeling there is a problem here.

Thanks again,

Tony

>

> I'm looking to see if anyone has the same issue I have. My PSA was

> around 2.4 for a few years, up and down by a 0.1 or so. I am 50 yrs

> old. This last PSA went up from 2.4 to 3.6, a whole 1.2 in a year

> time. I'm waiting for my latest PSA test taken this Friday. My

> alcohol intake is up alittle from previous years. I'm waiting for my

> free PSA test result so I am obviously somewhat nervous.

>

> The information that I have received from this group without posting a

> message and only joining sounds encouraging but everything you read on

> the web sounds like I have the worst case of cancer in the world and I

> will be dead in days. I guess the 1.2 raise is somewhat the main

> issue. My doctor says a raise of 0.7 is when they start looking.

>

> If anyone has a similar issue, I would be interested to hear about

> your situation.

>

> Thanks

> Tony

>

When you say Dr.is he a urologist or a cancer-urologist ? My urologist found my cancer after psa, c-scan, digital, ultrasound biopsy ,4 out of six cancer , bone scan, pas. then he sent me to a cancer-urologist-surgeon. He ran more tests, confirmed cancer, then gave me my options. I would try to cut back on the alcohol, it was always the second question Dr. asked me so I guess it might be a factor, did you ask you Dr. about it? Jon

Subject: Re: Newbie - updateTo: ProstateCancerSupport Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 10:18 PM

I appreciate everyone's responses to my question below. Here is thelatest. My PSA is now 4, and the % free PSA is 15.3%. According tothe lab report the chances of having cancer is 17%. I don't think Ihave any infection or symptoms that would make me rule out cancer. The PSA raise is the major issue that makes me really think I am introuble (with the exception of methodology) . My dad died of lungcancer at 75 so I have a history of cancer.The doctor said sex within 48 hours would not have caused this raise.Labcorp used the Roche ECLIA Methodology in all my recent test and theprevious test were from Quest Diagnostics using the BayerChemiluminescent method.This year my alcohol drinking is up. I'm up to about a drink or two anight. Some nights alittle more and others none at all.I just have an awfully bad feeling there is a problem here.Thanks again,Tony>> I'm looking to see if anyone has the same issue I have. My PSA was> around 2.4 for a few years, up and down by a 0.1 or so. I am 50 yrs> old. This last PSA went up from 2.4 to 3.6, a whole 1.2 in a year> time. I'm waiting for my latest PSA test taken this Friday. My> alcohol intake is up alittle from previous years. I'm waiting for my> free PSA test result so I am obviously somewhat nervous.> > The information that I have received from this group without posting a> message and only joining sounds encouraging but everything you read on> the web sounds like I have the worst case of cancer in the world and I> will be dead in days. I guess the 1.2 raise is somewhat the main> issue. My doctor says a

raise of 0.7 is when they start looking.> > If anyone has a similar issue, I would be interested to hear about> your situation.> > Thanks > Tony>

I didn't catch if you said somewhere in your message that you've already had a biopsy. If you haven't you really should. My PSA sat around at 1.9 for about 17 years, and then jumped up to 2.85 in one year. And even though that's in the normal range my urologist was alarmed by the PSA velocity and made me get a biopsy. Ugh, I thought that was really painful. First biopsy "suspicious" for prostate ca but not diagnostic, atypical cells. Repeat biopsy 3 months later found CA in 2/12 cores, gleason 3+3=6. I ended up doing robotic prostatectomy in September. I really didn't want those biopsies, but I am thoroughly greatful that my urologist pushed me so hard to get them, he may have saved my life by doing that.... Otey wrote: When you say Dr.is he a urologist or a cancer-urologist ? My urologist found my cancer after psa, c-scan, digital, ultrasound biopsy ,4 out of six cancer , bone scan, pas. then he sent me to a cancer-urologist-surgeon. He ran more tests, confirmed cancer, then gave me my options. I would try to cut back on the alcohol, it was always the second question Dr. asked me so I guess it might be a factor, did you ask you Dr. about it? Jon From: sureshot8

<sureshot8>Subject: Re: Newbie - updateTo: ProstateCancerSupport Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008, 10:18 PM I appreciate everyone's responses to my question below. Here is thelatest. My PSA is now 4, and the % free PSA is 15.3%. According tothe lab report the chances of having cancer is 17%. I don't think Ihave any infection or symptoms that would make me rule out cancer. The PSA raise is the major issue that makes me really think I am introuble (with the exception of methodology) . My dad died of lungcancer at 75 so I have a history of cancer.The doctor said sex within 48 hours would not have caused this raise.Labcorp used the Roche ECLIA Methodology in all my recent test and theprevious test were from Quest Diagnostics using the BayerChemiluminescent method.This year my

alcohol drinking is up. I'm up to about a drink or two anight. Some nights alittle more and others none at all.I just have an awfully bad feeling there is a problem here.Thanks again,Tony>> I'm looking to see if anyone has the same issue I have. My PSA was> around 2.4 for a few years, up and down by a 0.1 or so. I am 50 yrs> old. This last PSA went up from 2.4 to 3.6, a whole 1.2 in a year> time. I'm waiting for my latest PSA test taken this Friday. My> alcohol intake is up alittle from previous years. I'm waiting for my> free PSA test result so I am obviously somewhat nervous.> > The information that I have received from this group without posting a> message and only joining sounds encouraging

but everything you read on> the web sounds like I have the worst case of cancer in the world and I> will be dead in days. I guess the 1.2 raise is somewhat the main> issue. My doctor says a raise of 0.7 is when they start looking.> > If anyone has a similar issue, I would be interested to hear about> your situation.> > Thanks > Tony>