RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Didn’t bat an eye: -) I just

wondered how many laparoscopic prostatectomy procedures were carried out at “our

institution.”

All the best

Terry Herbert

I have no medical

qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since

then.

My sites are at www.yananow.net and www.prostatecancerwatchfulwaiting.co.za

Dr

“Snuffy” Myers : " As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of

the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate

data "

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of mccartney_7

Sent: Sunday, 30 November 2008

4:51 PM

To: ProstateCancerSupport

Subject:

Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

This was an eye opener to say the least:

snip>>Data at our institution as well as a recently published article

in the Journal of Clinical Oncology have shown inferior outcomes for

laparoscopic prostatectomy. <<snip

The York and Harrogate groups had a talk by 2 urologists who do the full radical, the big knitting needle job (laproscopic) and Da Vinci robotic. They reckoned that there was no difference in long and medium term effects, but as can be expected the shorter the cut the less short term impacts of the operation.

RE: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

Didn’t bat an eye: -) I just wondered how many laparoscopic prostatectomy procedures were carried out at “our institution.”

All the best

Terry Herbert

I have no medical qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since then.

Dr “Snuffy” Myers : "As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate data"

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of mccartney_7Sent: Sunday, 30 November 2008 4:51 PMTo: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

This was an eye opener to say the least:snip>>Data at our institution as well as a recently published articlein the Journal of Clinical Oncology have shown inferior outcomes forlaparoscopic prostatectomy. <<snip

The York and Harrogate groups had a talk by 2 urologists who do the full radical, the big knitting needle job (laproscopic) and Da Vinci robotic. They reckoned that there was no difference in long and medium term effects, but as can be expected the shorter the cut the less short term impacts of the operation.

RE: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

Didn’t bat an eye: -) I just wondered how many laparoscopic prostatectomy procedures were carried out at “our institution.”

All the best

Terry Herbert

I have no medical qualifications but I was diagnosed in ‘96: and have learned a bit since then.

Dr “Snuffy” Myers : "As a physician, I am painfully aware that most of the decisions we make with regard to prostate cancer are made with inadequate data"

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of mccartney_7Sent: Sunday, 30 November 2008 4:51 PMTo: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

This was an eye opener to say the least:snip>>Data at our institution as well as a recently published articlein the Journal of Clinical Oncology have shown inferior outcomes forlaparoscopic prostatectomy. <<snip

I seem to have lost the context. Can you please resend the link?

Kathy

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of mccartney_7Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:51 AMTo: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

Laurel,

Not all laparoscopic surgery is robotic:

For laparoscopic prostate surgery, this technique requires five small (5-10 millimeters) incisions (or "portholes") -- one just below the belly button and two each on both sides of the lower abdomen. Carbon dioxide is passed into the abdominal cavity through a small tube placed into the incision below the belly button. This gas lifts the abdominal wall to give the surgeon a better view of the abdominal cavity once the laparoscope is in place. The surgeon is then guided by the laparoscope, which transmits a picture of the prostate onto a video monitor.

http://www.cchs.net/health/health-info/docs/1900/1931.asp?index=8530

One surgeon who does not use a robot is Dr Krongrad. His website information is at http://www.laprp.com/cq_procedure.php

If a robot is used the surgeon uses a robot to actually doing the surgery. He is not holding the instruments. it is done laparoscopic. The DaVinci is the robot we hear about most .

You can see a picture of a robot at the website. http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/index.aspx

Kathy

From: ProstateCancerSupport [mailto:ProstateCancerSupport ] On Behalf Of LaurelSent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:08 PMTo: ProstateCancerSupport Subject: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

,Perhaps I am mis-reading your post, but I thought that by definition, laparoscopic means robotic? And yes, we are all reading more and more that the side effects rates are no better with robotic. The only advantage seems to be with the reduced recovery rate, unless we are reading the advertising which promises much more. Laurel>> The York and Harrogate groups had a talk by 2 urologists who do the full radical, the big knitting needle job (laproscopic) and Da Vinci robotic. They reckoned that there was no difference in long and medium term effects, but as can be expected the shorter the cut the less short term impacts of the operation.> > > Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.> > > > This was an eye opener to say the least:> > snip>>Data at our institution as well as a recently published article> in the Journal of Clinical Oncology have shown inferior outcomes for> laparoscopic prostatectomy. <<snip>

Laurel,Laproscopic and robotic are different procedures. I was told by the urologist (confirmed by personal research) that they are comparable in many ways, but hospital stays and recovery times are lessened by the robotic. I had robotic done in August and still have an incontinence issue and ED. Most men I have talked to who had the lap done said that the problems are basically the same.Steve S in ArkansasFrom: Laurel

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2008 11:08:13 AMSubject: Re: Comparing Relapse Survival of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

Perhaps I am mis-reading your post, but I thought that by definition,

laparoscopic means robotic?

And yes, we are all reading more and more that the side effects rates

are no better with robotic. The only advantage seems to be with the

reduced recovery rate, unless we are reading the advertising which

promises much more.

Laurel

>

> The York and Harrogate groups had a talk by 2 urologists who do the

full radical, the big knitting needle job (laproscopic) and Da Vinci

robotic. They reckoned that there was no difference in long and

medium term effects, but as can be expected the shorter the cut the

less short term impacts of the operation.

>

>

> [ProstateCancerSupp ort] Re: Comparing Relapse Survival

of Biopsy Gleason Scores 3 & 4, etc.

>

>

>

> This was an eye opener to say the least:

>

> snip>>Data at our institution as well as a recently published

article

> in the Journal of Clinical Oncology have shown inferior outcomes