RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Can the Mediterranean Diet Prevent Prostate Cancer?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sorry to be sceptical about such dietary assertions as these, but there are hereditary aspects to prostate cancer. For example, we know that afro-americans are at greater risk. Is the reverse perhaps at work with the Japanese or for that matter in the Mediterranean rim? If their inherited characteristics are the cause of any reduced risks in their cases (proof?) the diet might actually be working against or neutral in relation to this factor. In any case, it is one thing to assert such a thing in relation to the risk of getting prostate cancer (or even to prove it, which so far as I know has not been done), but quite another thing to say that such diets would be useful to members of this club! We all await with bated breath the trial results on

pomegranate juice, but all this anti-oxidant stuff has yet to be proved, especially in relation to those of us who have had different forms of treatment.

The question of longevity is even more likely to have a racial link.

I think the question mark in the email's title is thoroughly justified, but having said that I'm off for a large glass of Merlot...

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Saturday, 27 December, 2008 11:11:06 PMSubject: Re: Can the Mediterranean Diet Prevent Prostate Cancer?

The two diets known to be associated with longevity and reduced risks for prostate cancer are the traditional Japanese diet and a Southern Mediterranean diet. The Japanese diet is high in green tea, soy, vegetables, and fish, as well as low in calories and fat. The Mediterranean diet is high is fresh fruits & vegetables, garlic, tomatoes, red wine, olive oil, and fish.

Both are low in red meat.

>> The Mediterranean diet is abundant in foods that may protect against> prostate cancer and is associated with longevity and reduced> cardiovascular and cancer mortality. Compared with many Western> countries Greece has lower prostate cancer mortality and Greek migrant> men in Australia have retained their low risk for prostate cancer.> Consumption of a traditional Mediterranean diet, rich in bioactive> nutrients, may confer protection to Greek migrant men, and this dietary> pattern offers a palatable alternative for prevention of this disease. > Click on below link for the full story:> <http://www.urotoday .com/index. php?option= com_content & task=view_ua & id=2219400>> > If you try to browse elsewhere within the above medical web site, > you'll be

requested to register, which you can safely do.> Patients are welcome and there's never any spam.>

, I agree with you about healthy eating in general. All of us can do that and exercise to avoid dying prematurely from heart disease or stroke. There's proven cause and effect there. I just want to have someone prove that it makes a ha'p'orth of difference in relation to getting or getting rid of PCa. Nobody has yet so far as I know. Speculation is fine. I happily speculate about red wine and pomegranate juice. When I know that there's a positive or negative effect then I'm prepared to proselytise. Meantime, what's yours?...

The Institute of Cancer Research is doing some research about the genetic aspects of PCa. I've fillled in a highly personal questionnaire, donated some blood samples and offered up some toenail clippings (I kid not). The more I read about PCa, the more I suspect that the variable and decreasing effectiveness, as we age, of the body's mechanism for getting rid of rogue cells is at the heart of this thing. If so, the genetic route may be the most promising one to kill off this disease for good and all. Whatever happens to members of this club, that's what we all dream of for our kids, I suspect.

Happy New Year

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Sunday, 28 December, 2008 2:38:04 PMSubject: Re: Re: Can the Mediterranean Diet Prevent Prostate Cancer?

I think you are on one track and it is a many track issue.

I am pretty sure that the use of olive oil or similiar is much better than beef fat or butter.

The vegetables and fruit readily available to the south Europeans can do nothing but good.

We know too that some PCas have genetic origin.

So we are back to the libretto of Gilbert and Sullinvan's Mikado. You are right and they areright as right as right can be.

The one thing is, we can do something about our diet, I haven't found an easy way of changing mny genes without lots of science.

[ProstateCancerSupp ort] Re: Can the Mediterranean Diet Prevent Prostate Cancer?

The two diets known to be associated with longevity and reduced risks for prostate cancer are the traditional Japanese diet and a Southern Mediterranean diet. The Japanese diet is high in green tea, soy, vegetables, and fish, as well as low in calories and fat. The Mediterranean diet is high is fresh fruits & vegetables, garlic, tomatoes, red wine, olive oil, and fish.

>> The Mediterranean diet is abundant in foods that may protect against> prostate cancer and is associated with longevity and reduced> cardiovascular and cancer mortality. Compared with many Western> countries Greece has lower prostate cancer mortality and Greek migrant> men in Australia have retained their low risk for prostate cancer.> Consumption of a traditional Mediterranean diet, rich in bioactive> nutrients, may confer protection to Greek migrant men, and this dietary> pattern offers a palatable alternative for prevention of this disease. > Click on below link for the full story:> <http://www.urotoday .com/index. php?option= com_content & task=view_ua & id=2219400>> > If you try to browse elsewhere within the above medical web site, > you'll be

requested to register, which you can safely do.> Patients are welcome and there's never any spam.>

, I agree with you about healthy eating in general. All of us can do that and exercise to avoid dying prematurely from heart disease or stroke. There's proven cause and effect there. I just want to have someone prove that it makes a ha'p'orth of difference in relation to getting or getting rid of PCa. Nobody has yet so far as I know. Speculation is fine. I happily speculate about red wine and pomegranate juice. When I know that there's a positive or negative effect then I'm prepared to proselytise. Meantime, what's yours?...

The Institute of Cancer Research is doing some research about the genetic aspects of PCa. I've fillled in a highly personal questionnaire, donated some blood samples and offered up some toenail clippings (I kid not). The more I read about PCa, the more I suspect that the variable and decreasing effectiveness, as we age, of the body's mechanism for getting rid of rogue cells is at the heart of this thing. If so, the genetic route may be the most promising one to kill off this disease for good and all. Whatever happens to members of this club, that's what we all dream of for our kids, I suspect.

Happy New Year

To: ProstateCancerSupport Sent: Sunday, 28 December, 2008 2:38:04 PMSubject: Re: Re: Can the Mediterranean Diet Prevent Prostate Cancer?

I think you are on one track and it is a many track issue.

I am pretty sure that the use of olive oil or similiar is much better than beef fat or butter.

The vegetables and fruit readily available to the south Europeans can do nothing but good.

We know too that some PCas have genetic origin.

So we are back to the libretto of Gilbert and Sullinvan's Mikado. You are right and they areright as right as right can be.

The one thing is, we can do something about our diet, I haven't found an easy way of changing mny genes without lots of science.

[ProstateCancerSupp ort] Re: Can the Mediterranean Diet Prevent Prostate Cancer?