RemedySpot.com

Re: No pain or discomfort during the TRUS prostate biopsy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My husband had a biopsy and ultrasound done on October 15th. I was

with him in the room. He fould it more easier while I was there to

talk to him. The Urologist was a comidian and sang " u ought to be in

pictures. " LOL. He could tell was uneasy about the whole thing.

And was trying to ease him abit.

Anyways the Dr used ladicane and gave him 7mg of larazapam. The

freezing said was painful and alot of pressure. He said that

he felt 80% of them even with the freezing. Some were just a weird

sensation with pressure. But there were 5 out of 12 that he said did

hurt. 2 were the Apex and the other 3 he cannot remember. He knows

they were the Apex because the Dr said the apex ones are usually

worse cause the freezing sometimes does not work there.

I do remember jumping and the Dr stopping to let gather

himself 3 times. One I remember was really bad cause he squeezed my

hand hard and tightened his whole body. The Dr was good and stopped

for a few mins and talked to to get him to relax a bit.

I think the worst was the recovery.

was told by the surgeon that is doing his surgery on the 9th or

January that the pain he is having is probably Prostitis and that is

why the biopsy was bad and the recovery was more painful.

was off work for over a week. He had alot of blood the initial

day come from his rectum about 3 times and alot of blood in his

seman. The Dr did tell me blead more then he was expecting.

But was also nervious and (being self conciuos) embaressed, he

made the larazapam not kick in till after the biopsy. I drove not

even 2 minutes after the procedure and he was passed out in the car

after. I had to almost carry him in the house. He does not remember

anything between the biopsy (lasted 1 hour) and later in the after

noon when he woke up.

Needless to say says one of the reasons he is not doing " active

servailance " is because the Dr wanted to do a biopsy every 6 months.

was not about to go through that 2 times a year.

But every man's experence is different. Some are good and some are

bad. It depends on the doctor and how relaxed the patient is. The

more relaxed you are the better it will be, as well as the amount of

freezing.

But in the end was ok and recovered fine. Unfortuatly the

biopsy came back positive for cancer.

~Marla~

> > >

> > > I saw my urologist today. I had a 1.5 PSA rise over a 1 yr

> period,

> > > with a 15% free PSA. The urologist says this is a no brainer,

no

> more

> > > test, do a biopsy. You have 25% chance of cancer. If we don't

> find

> > > it now we will later. After biopsy if we don't find cancer we

> will

> > > check for BPH. I'd like to hear opinions if you have to

> comment. My

> > > PSA came in this month between 3.6 and 4, within two weeks of

> each

> > other.

> > >

> > > If he is so concerned for cancer why schedule me for a biopsy

in a

> > > month and wait. Also if you had the biopsy, I'd like to know

how

> > > irritating the procedure can be. They said the procedure is an

> plain

> > > office visit.

> > >

> > > Thanks for you help

> > > Tony

> > >

> >

>

Well, that was really nice of your to be their with your husband. When I had my first biopsy I didn't want my wife there, I didn't know what to expect but I felt I was better off without my wife there who is very emotional. First biopsy was really, really difficult for me. I didn't know what to expect and even though my urologist gave my lidocaine injections on each side of prostate I could feel with pain everyone of his 24 shots. First biopsy came back "suspicious for cancer but not diagnostic." Had to have repeat biopsy 3 months later. For second biopsy I took one of my sleeping pills, adavin, about 1 hour before biopsy. I made sure my wife was there to drive me home, but I woke up enough to drive myself home. The pain was much less for second biopsy. My wife and I went on big trip of a lifetime to northern California after biopsy before the results were in. Why ruin a trip of a lifetime? Came back from trip only to find out I did have prostate cancer after

all. I had robotic prostatectomy on 09/11/2008, incontinence is now totally gone, do not require any pads at all starting today!, 12/22/08! Alas, I cannot have normal erections without assistance of penile injections with bimix/trimix. I am able to have somewhat normal sex with wife 2x/wk with these injections. First post-op PSA was .01 which is considered undetectable by modern standards. Whatever you and your husband decide to do I wish all the best for the both of you..........rachel_luv2003 wrote: My

husband had a biopsy and ultrasound done on October 15th. I was with him in the room. He fould it more easier while I was there to talk to him. The Urologist was a comidian and sang "u ought to be in pictures." LOL. He could tell was uneasy about the whole thing. And was trying to ease him abit.Anyways the Dr used ladicane and gave him 7mg of larazapam. The freezing said was painful and alot of pressure. He said that he felt 80% of them even with the freezing. Some were just a weird sensation with pressure. But there were 5 out of 12 that he said did hurt. 2 were the Apex and the other 3 he cannot remember. He knows they were the Apex because the Dr said the apex ones are usually worse cause the freezing sometimes does not work there. I do remember jumping and the Dr stopping to let gather himself 3 times. One I remember was really bad cause he squeezed my hand hard and tightened his whole

body. The Dr was good and stopped for a few mins and talked to to get him to relax a bit.I think the worst was the recovery. was told by the surgeon that is doing his surgery on the 9th or January that the pain he is having is probably Prostitis and that is why the biopsy was bad and the recovery was more painful. was off work for over a week. He had alot of blood the initial day come from his rectum about 3 times and alot of blood in his seman. The Dr did tell me blead more then he was expecting.But was also nervious and (being self conciuos) embaressed, he made the larazapam not kick in till after the biopsy. I drove not even 2 minutes after the procedure and he was passed out in the car after. I had to almost carry him in the house. He does not remember anything between the biopsy (lasted 1 hour) and later in the after noon when he woke up.Needless to say says one of the

reasons he is not doing "active servailance" is because the Dr wanted to do a biopsy every 6 months. was not about to go through that 2 times a year.But every man's experence is different. Some are good and some are bad. It depends on the doctor and how relaxed the patient is. The more relaxed you are the better it will be, as well as the amount of freezing.But in the end was ok and recovered fine. Unfortuatly the biopsy came back positive for cancer. ~Marla~> > >> > > I saw my urologist today. I had a 1.5 PSA rise over a 1 yr > period,>

> > with a 15% free PSA. The urologist says this is a no brainer, no > more> > > test, do a biopsy. You have 25% chance of cancer. If we don't > find> > > it now we will later. After biopsy if we don't find cancer we > will> > > check for BPH. I'd like to hear opinions if you have to > comment. My> > > PSA came in this month between 3.6 and 4, within two weeks of > each > > other.> > > > > > If he is so concerned for cancer why schedule me for a biopsy in a> > > month and wait. Also if you had the biopsy, I'd like to know how> > > irritating the procedure can be. They said the procedure is an > plain> > > office visit.> > > > > > Thanks for you help> > > Tony> > >>

>>

Well, that was really nice of your to be their with your husband. When I had my first biopsy I didn't want my wife there, I didn't know what to expect but I felt I was better off without my wife there who is very emotional. First biopsy was really, really difficult for me. I didn't know what to expect and even though my urologist gave my lidocaine injections on each side of prostate I could feel with pain everyone of his 24 shots. First biopsy came back "suspicious for cancer but not diagnostic." Had to have repeat biopsy 3 months later. For second biopsy I took one of my sleeping pills, adavin, about 1 hour before biopsy. I made sure my wife was there to drive me home, but I woke up enough to drive myself home. The pain was much less for second biopsy. My wife and I went on big trip of a lifetime to northern California after biopsy before the results were in. Why ruin a trip of a lifetime? Came back from trip only to find out I did have prostate cancer after

all. I had robotic prostatectomy on 09/11/2008, incontinence is now totally gone, do not require any pads at all starting today!, 12/22/08! Alas, I cannot have normal erections without assistance of penile injections with bimix/trimix. I am able to have somewhat normal sex with wife 2x/wk with these injections. First post-op PSA was .01 which is considered undetectable by modern standards. Whatever you and your husband decide to do I wish all the best for the both of you..........rachel_luv2003 wrote: My

husband had a biopsy and ultrasound done on October 15th. I was with him in the room. He fould it more easier while I was there to talk to him. The Urologist was a comidian and sang "u ought to be in pictures." LOL. He could tell was uneasy about the whole thing. And was trying to ease him abit.Anyways the Dr used ladicane and gave him 7mg of larazapam. The freezing said was painful and alot of pressure. He said that he felt 80% of them even with the freezing. Some were just a weird sensation with pressure. But there were 5 out of 12 that he said did hurt. 2 were the Apex and the other 3 he cannot remember. He knows they were the Apex because the Dr said the apex ones are usually worse cause the freezing sometimes does not work there. I do remember jumping and the Dr stopping to let gather himself 3 times. One I remember was really bad cause he squeezed my hand hard and tightened his whole

body. The Dr was good and stopped for a few mins and talked to to get him to relax a bit.I think the worst was the recovery. was told by the surgeon that is doing his surgery on the 9th or January that the pain he is having is probably Prostitis and that is why the biopsy was bad and the recovery was more painful. was off work for over a week. He had alot of blood the initial day come from his rectum about 3 times and alot of blood in his seman. The Dr did tell me blead more then he was expecting.But was also nervious and (being self conciuos) embaressed, he made the larazapam not kick in till after the biopsy. I drove not even 2 minutes after the procedure and he was passed out in the car after. I had to almost carry him in the house. He does not remember anything between the biopsy (lasted 1 hour) and later in the after noon when he woke up.Needless to say says one of the

reasons he is not doing "active servailance" is because the Dr wanted to do a biopsy every 6 months. was not about to go through that 2 times a year.But every man's experence is different. Some are good and some are bad. It depends on the doctor and how relaxed the patient is. The more relaxed you are the better it will be, as well as the amount of freezing.But in the end was ok and recovered fine. Unfortuatly the biopsy came back positive for cancer. ~Marla~> > >> > > I saw my urologist today. I had a 1.5 PSA rise over a 1 yr > period,>

> > with a 15% free PSA. The urologist says this is a no brainer, no > more> > > test, do a biopsy. You have 25% chance of cancer. If we don't > find> > > it now we will later. After biopsy if we don't find cancer we > will> > > check for BPH. I'd like to hear opinions if you have to > comment. My> > > PSA came in this month between 3.6 and 4, within two weeks of > each > > other.> > > > > > If he is so concerned for cancer why schedule me for a biopsy in a> > > month and wait. Also if you had the biopsy, I'd like to know how> > > irritating the procedure can be. They said the procedure is an > plain> > > office visit.> > > > > > Thanks for you help> > > Tony> > >>

>>

>>