RemedySpot.com

PSA spreadsheet for tracking and plotting PSAs and calculating doubling times

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In the Files section under PSA Spreadsheet are an Excel spreadsheet (PSA_trends.GLM.20081227.xls) and a PDF file to print an example of the spreadsheet (PSA_trends.GLM.20081227.pdf ).

The spreadsheet is set up to enter PSA values, including % Free if available, along with the dates of the tests and any remarks. From an entry for a birthdate, PSAs are plotted versus age on a semi-log chart and doubling times are calculated by exponential regression. An average PSA velocity is also calculated. Based on the regression trend line, one can enter any date and a corresponding PSA will be predicted. The examples in the spreadsheet are an abbreviated set of my own records, which illustrate how prostatitis infections can affect PSA tests. Tests with abnormal values, such as those influenced by prostatitis, can be flagged and will be plotted but excluded from the calculations.

If you have had a positive biopsy, the date and corresponding PSA value can be entered and 'high risk' and 'low risk' trend lines versus age will be calculated and displayed using a General Linear Model developed by Sunnybrook (Toronto) for monitoring Active Surveillance. Links to on-line references are included for the Sunnybrook assumptions and calculations.

The spreadsheet is 'locked' to prevent accidentally over-riding the calculations. If you want to unlock the spreadsheet, send me an email.

The chart currently covers ages from 50 to 80 and PSAs from 1 to 10. If one needs different value ranges, let me know.

This spreadsheet was originally posted on my AOL site but AOL has discontinued its file storage for members. It also has been updated from the original version on AOL.

If there is interest in a spreadsheet for calculating doubling times for low-range PSA values following treatment, let me know and I can post one.

The Best to You and Yours!

Jon in Nevada