RemedySpot.com

An interview with Swami Ramdev

Rate this topic

Guest guest

`Whenever I go against the stream, I face opposition' -Swami Ramdev Friday January 19 2007 17:26 IST Swami Ramdev needed no introduction. From the moment he entered Bhubaneshwar, a sense of euphoria gripped the entire city. Tens of thousands of people swarmed to the Janata Maidan in Bhubaneshwar to meet the Swami. To some he was a yoga guru, to others a doctor who had a cure for all their ailments. To some he was a monk who could help them discover themselves, to others he was God. `The man of the masses' seems unwavering in his one-point agenda - to spread awareness on the benefits of yoga and Ayurveda. And to achieve this, he has been holding yoga camps all over the country and abroad attracting a large number of followers. His recent six-day camp in Bhubaneshwar witnessed a gathering of 30,000 people per session. In an interview with Kasturi Ray, the Swami shares his vision. People from all over the world are turning to yoga as a solution to their problems. Did you also take to yoga as a solution to the problems of material world?

No. When I was nine years old, I started practising yogasanas because I had the urge to do so. I have not learnt yoga from any guru but from the ancient texts and scriptures. I was inspired and influenced by Rishi Dayanand, who also gave me a direction to live in this world. What is a day in the life of Swami Ramdev like?

I get up early in the morning. I have been doing so since I was a child. I was never crazy about food. In fact, I used to give my share of rotis to the cow. Ten years ago, I cut cereals out of my diet. I only eat fruits, vegetables and milk. I wear two pieces of unstitched clothes. That's all. But I would never want the masses to follow my lifestyle. They can eat everything, I only caution them to exercise restraint on the amount they consume. I believe a certain amount of ghee and oil is also important for the body. What are your plans in terms of creating awareness about yoga?

Research. One, clinical control trial and the other, scientific genetic research to enable me to free 500 crore people from taking medicines. My research on oxygen is on. This is the only life-giver and it is available in abundance. So it must be used well by people to stay healthy. This can be done through pranayama. How many camps do you organise a year?

At least 40 to 50 all over the world. Ever since I got a call from within to serve people I have never looked back. I will always be at the service of people.

You were in the news recently, when the Health Ministry took you to task for claiming to help a person with AIDS get a new lease of life.

It doesn't affect me if the government reacts to my helping people gain a healthy life. If someone with AIDS said he was relieved of his pain by following a yogic regimen along with his medicines, I don't think anything else matters to me. Of late, more and more controversies have started coming your way. How do you handle these?

Whenever I go against the stream, I face opposition. Truth wins and when I am fighting for truth, how can I lose? I do my job with devotion and dedication to God. Let the others do what they want. Planning to get into politics?

Absolutely not. I am connected to my motherland and vowed to serve her. I was born in a poor family and I know the pangs of growing up in a poor family. I am not working for personal gains. I am aware of my responsibilities towards the country and my people so I am serving them. I am identified as an Indian and that is my achievement. How do you see India now and how do you visualise the country in 2030?

As an Indian, I always think in the Indian context. I don't talk about Hinduism. I consider religion on par with science. I will never agree that there is any indication of casteism in India because all are born shudras. If anyone wants to see India do well, then they should be kind, compassionate and loving to mankind in general. By 2030, India will be a developed country and an example for others provided its population is under control. Poverty will always be there because it is something present everywhere. In the US too 4.2 million people can't afford medicines. In another 10 years, India will have a pool of talented children who will make India proud.

http://www.newindpress.com/sunday/sundayitems.asp?id=SEL20070119080018 & eTitle=Better+Living & rLink=0