RemedySpot.com

Re: Birth Control Pill Ratios---Minulet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Lynne,

Thanks for all the information on Pill ratios. Just thought maybe you would know something about Minulet which has gestodene in it. It has 0.075mg of Gestodene to 30mg of ethinylestradiol. But like you were saying it is the potency or higher progesterone effect of the progesterone that matters. I feel my symptoms, of vulvar vestibulitis, started when I went on this Pill, and they went from constant to cyclical when I came off it.

I find it all really confusing! Would Minulet be theoretically a good Pill to take or have my symptoms been almost inevitable as a result of taking Minulet. I'm in the UK and have found it hard to get Dr.Vliets book.

Incidently I tried Wild Yam tablets and VV got much worse as well as feeling like I was constantly severly pre-menstral. I thought I was progesterone difficient, but know I think it may be estrogen I need.

thanks,

wendyxx

Re: Birth Control Pill Ratios---Kristy

> Lynn,> > If Mircette is supposed to be so bad for women with vulvodynia> then why is it that some who have been on it have had success> with it? The Mircette's ratio for estrogen and progesterone I> think is similar to Alesse. I took Mircette for nearly 2 years> for endo and the only bad thing I didn't like about it was b/c I> got the symptoms that made me think I was anemic. If it weren't> for that I would have been ok. And it didn't bother my> vulvodynia one bit.> > I was just wondering about this b/c of what you said that she> said about the way it affects vulvodynia.> > > > > > > =====> Kristy :)The good thing about the way we are created is that we all don't respond to the same things the same way. That's why I told Jodi to keep us posted because I want to hear from people besides Dr. Vliet that this may in fact be true. For myself, the burning got worse on Loestrin which you will see is one ratio above the Mircette. Another girl on the ivillage board changed from Alesse to Mircette and that is when her burning started. I don't know if she ever switched back to Alesse but that was the suggestion from others---go back to what made her feel better. If you are not having hormone related vulvodynia then birth control pills or hormones would not have any affect either way.So....if you have nerve or muscle damage or herpes/hpv related vulvodynia--I would think none of this would apply and any b/c pill would be fine. I should have wrote that on my post....short term memory zaps these days! LOLAs for the Alesse and Mircette being about the same.....here is what my limited scientific mind knows about this.It's all about the TYPE of progestin. Alesse has levenorgestrel. This has a 5.3 times higher progesterone effect than the base progestin: norethindrone. Norethindrone is the one that has the least amount of progestational activity. Now both mircette and alesse have .02 mg of estrogen, in that they are the same but mircette uses desogestrel which has 9 times the progestational activity as norethindrone (the base progestin). That means that mircette's progestin is almost double that of alesse. Progestin only pills can bring on atrophy (thinning and drying of the vulvar skin) which in turn brings on infections and burning/itching. This I think from what I have read is due to it's blocking of estrogen.Now--Mircette has .15 desogestrel and Alesse has .10 of levenorgestrelso not only is mircette's progestin more potant but they use more of it than alesse. To compare them you have to convert them to the same progestin. If they were both using the norethindrone (base progestin) here is how they would look:Alesse: 20 mcmg ethinyl estradiol .53 mg NorethindroneMircette 20 mcmg ethinyl estradiol 1.35 mg NorethindroneSoooo Alesse has under half the progestin.Clear as mud??? LOL Here is a great website for info: http://www.wdxcyber.com/ncontr13.htm This site explains it a little more.My brain is burning! LOLLynn*****END OF MESSAGE*****-------------------------------------------------To post message: VulvarDisorders To Subscribe: VulvarDisorders-subscribe Unsubscribe: VulvarDisorders-unsubscribe List owner: VulvarDisorders-owner *****